- For the version of this term after the Super Genesis Wave, see Zone (Archie).
Zone is a term that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. It is the Mobian term for other dimensions and universes besides Mobius Prime. Both Mobian science and mysticism have been successful at enabling other-dimensional travel, so travel to zones and visitors from zones, while not common, are not considered unusual.
The various zones discovered can be divided into two categories: Pocket zones and alternate zones.
An alternate zone is a parallel universe with the same physical properties as the Prime Zone, but with a different history. Alternate zones can be very similar to Mobius Prime (such as Moebius, which seemingly has a counterpart of every resident of Mobius Prime) or quite different (like the Sol Zone, which is populated by Mobians, but none of them appear to be counterparts of anyone from Mobius Prime). Alternate zones can also be accessed by various means, but the most reliable is the Cosmic Interstate. Collectively, all of the alternate zones are sometimes called the multiverse.
A pocket zone is another dimension with different physical properties and characteristics than Mobius Prime. They are called "pocket zones" because they are smaller than Mobius Prime (however, given that Mobius Prime is an universe with multiple galaxies, a pocket zone can still be very large). Various pocket zones can be reached via portal, technology or by using magic or magical items such as Chaos Emeralds. Some famous pocket zones include the Twilight Cage and the Special Zone (formerly the Zone of Silence). Pocket zones have been used as both places of banishment and confinement as well as safe havens, such as the various pocket zones Hawking created and sent both the Echidnas and Dingoes to in order to keep them safe from harmful radiation.
The term zone is also used in various regions on Mobius, such as the segments of Angel Island with dramatically different climates, but that terminology is falling out of use. When Dr. Eggman temporally changed reality during Operation: Clean Sweep, there were many places named "Zone" on Mobius.
List of Zones
Alternate reality zones
Named alternate zones
- In Another Time, In Another Place
- Discovery Zone
- Mega Man's World (located outside of Sonic's multiverse)
- Luna Zone
- No Zone
- Planet Freedom
- Prime Zone
- Sentai Zone
- Sol Zone
Unnamed alternate zones
- Alternate Mobius where Cyborg Sonic originates from.
- Alternate Mobius where Mobians are giant monsters.
- Medieval universe
- Prehistoric universe
- Sonic Underground universe
- Sonic X universe
- Image Comics Zone (located outside of Sonic's multiverse)
Alternate future zones
- 3437 P.X.E.
- Dark Mobius
- Light Mobius
- Future Mobius where Nicole and Dr. Eggman originate from.
- Future Mobius with the Freedom Fighters of the Galaxy.
Named pocket zones
- Collision Chaos Zone
- Flicky Zone
- Hall of Limbo
- Mirror Zone
- Negative Reality
- Neutral Zone
- Special Zone (formerly known as the Zone of Silence)
- Stardust Speedway Zone
- Unknown Zone
- Twilight Cage (also called the Twilight Zone)
- Virtual Zone
- Skull Egg Zone
Unnamed pocket zones
- Zone which Echidnaopolis was sent to by the Hyper-wave Projector.
- Zone which the Dingoes and their city was sent to by the Hyper-wave Projector
- Pocket Zone where Super Sonic and Hyper Knuckles fought.
- Arctic Zone
- Angel Zone
- Atomic Destroyer Zone
- Casino Night
- Forbidden Zone (Angel Island)
- Forbidden Zone (Northamer)
- Great Turquoise Zone
- Hidden Palace Zone
- Ice Cap
- Launch Base
- Lava Reef
- Lethal Radioactive Zone
- Marble Garden
- Meta Jungura Zone
- Mushroom Hills
- Red Mountain
- Robotnik Winter Zone
- Sandopolis Desert
- Sunset Park Zone
- Sky Sanctuary
- Tidal Plant Zone
- Chemical Plant Zone
- Emerald Hill Zone
- Final Zone
- Green Hill Zone
- Labyrinth Zone
- Marble Zone
- Metropolis Zone
- Oil Ocean Zone
- Scrap Brain Zone
- Star Light Zone
Worlds Collide-exclusive zones
- In response to a fan query regarding whether or not the futures from which Nicole and Dr. Eggman originated were the same, writer Ian Flynn stated that: "That's up for debate, honestly. There's room to take it in both directions. For the sake of simplicity, I'd consider it the same. This way we're only dealing with three futures (Eggman/Nicole's, MxYL, Silver's) rather than four." This assessment did not bring up Jani-Ca's native future, which was later reintroduced as Dark Mobius.
- Writer Ian Flynn says that he is against reusing any characters or concepts that are blatant parodies of movies/TV shows/other media, meaning that several characters and zones are unlikely to appear again in the canon comic series.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Cosmic Interstate"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #43, "The Dream Zone"
- ↑ Knuckles the Echidna #3, "Blood is Thicker"
- ↑ Knuckles the Echidna #5, "Lost Paradise Part Two of Three: Fallout"
- ↑ Knuckles the Echidna #8, "Dark Vengeance Part Two of Three: The Gauntlet"
- ↑ Knuckles #1, "Rite of Passage! Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #226, "Genesis Part One: In the Beginning..."
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #229, "Genesis Part Four: Reset"
- ↑ Ian Flynn (27 July 2009). Possible Future Resolution. BumbleKing Comics. Archived from the original on 2 November 2015.
- ↑ Ian Flynn (1 August 2009). Whatever happened to Cyborg Sonic?. BumbleKing Comics. Archived from the original on 2 November 2015.