Zomom (ゾモン Zomon?) is an antagonist in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is a Zeti and a member of the Deadly Six, being the group's saboteur. When Dr. Eggman came to the Lost Hex, Zomom and the other members of the Deadly Six were forced into serving the doctor due to the effects of the Cacophonic Conch. After Sonic the Hedgehog arrived and got rid of the conch, Zomom and the others rebelled against Eggman and took control of his forces. Afterwards, Zomom followed Zavok's plans to make him and the other Deadly Six stronger, by using Eggman's Extractor while destroying the earth, but was ultimately defeated by Sonic.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 History
- 3 Other game appearances
- 4 Personality
- 5 Powers and abilities
- 6 Weaknesses
- 7 Relationships
- 8 Battle
- 9 In other media
- 10 Quotes
- 11 Trivia
- 12 References
Zomom's entire body is somewhat circular in shape, giving him a rather chubby appearance. His upper body is a vibrant orange-yellow color. His thick arms end with equally large five-fingered hands with yellow nails. His lower body is pure black, and Zomom's legs are so stubby to be nearly non-existent. His flat feet are each tipped with a pair of yellow claws, with a third on the heel. Zomom appears to have some sort of stubby tail.
Zomom has thick yellow lips and he appears to be missing some teeth and others seem chipped. Unlike the other Zeti however, Zomom's teeth are square in shape instead of sharp fangs. Zomom has small red eyes with yellow sclera, with black markings surrounding each eye. As seen in the cutscenes, both of Zomom's eyes rarely point in the same direction. Zomom is fully bald, unlike the other Zeti. On the top of his head Zomom appears to have four relatively short yet sharp horns, each one being striped black and red. On his wrists Zomom wears a pair of black bracelets with gray spikes.
Sonic Lost World
In the Wii U version and PC version of Sonic Lost World, Zomom and the Deadly Six met Dr. Eggman, who used a Cacophonic Conch to enslave them. Begrudgingly, Zomom would assist Eggman in his scheme for world domination by capturing Animals for an army of Badniks. Zomom later joined Eggman and the Deadly Six for a Badnik-making lesson where Eggman told how they would help him beat Sonic the Hedgehog, before he saw Zazz depart to fight Sonic.
Coming to Windy Hill, Zomom and his team met Sonic, before coming with Eggman as he left Zazz to finish Sonic. Resuming the Animal hunt, Zomom would be punished by Eggman with the Cacophonic Conch when Zavok spoke against Eggman's criticism of their efforts. Zomom was soon after persuaded with a sandwich from Eggman to go fight Sonic, only to get defeated. Zomom later had a snack when Sonic showed up and criticized his health habits. Fighting Sonic again, Zomom lost once more.
Zomom and the Deadly Six were soon after scolded again for their failures by Eggman with the Cacophonic Conch when Sonic appeared and knocked the conch away. Now free, Zomom and his team took control of Eggman's Badniks and had them attack everyone at the site, with Zomom joining an attack on Eggman, forcing Orbot, Cubot, Eggman, Sonic and Tails to flee. Afterwards, the Deadly Six took control of Eggman's operations on the Lost Hex. While Sonic still opposed them, Zomom was involuntarily used by Master Zik to demonstrate his physical prowess when he went after Sonic. As Zomom plotted his own revenge at Eggman, he went along with Zavok's plan to destroy the Earth with Eggman's Extractor and use the energies it harvested to make the Deadly Six stronger, thus getting his revenge at the doctor.
Zomom later helped set a trap to capture Sonic so the Deadly Six could turn him into their robotic slave, only to find Tails caught in it when it returned. As Zor then arrived to announce the failed capture of Sonic, Zomom scowled in response. Eventually, Zomom helped Zavok set up a Roboticizer to use on Tails. When he left device to itself however, he unknowingly left a sandwich behind which Tails used to stop the device. Using their Extractor-enhanced strength, Zomom and Zazz would later ambush Sonic and his allies, knocking everyone except Sonic into a lava pit. Zomom subsequently teamed up with Zazz and Master Zik to finish Sonic off, only to be beaten for good. What happened to Zomom afterward is unclear.
Other game appearances
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
In Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Zomon makes a cameo appearance as a part of the "Deadly Six" trophy which can be collected in the game.
In Sonic Runners, Zomom made an appearance during the "Zazz Raid Event." Here, Zomom met Zazz after the latter failed to beat Team Sonic. He told Zazz that he did not have what it took to defeat Sonic and suggested that he should eat more food to boost his strength. Zazz took this advice by munching on the Power Rings he had been gathering, giving the crazed Zeti an enormous power boost.
Zomom's two dominant traits are his lack of intelligence and his boundless appetite. He is not very bright, possessing a very simple way of thinking, and can sometimes end up embarrassing himself. He is also somewhat bumbling and slow, often causing damage when fumbling around without realizing it, failing to understand figure of speeches, and could only distinguish Sonic and Tails due to their color. Regardless, Zomom is aware that he is stupid and embarrassing, though he does not wish to appear any worse than he already is.
Zomom is a gluttonous Zeti with an unlimited appetite and will eat just about anything or even anyone. Just seeing or mentioning anything food-related can stir up his appetite and he can easily be motivated or distracted by food. However, Zomom also gets angry easily. He is somewhat sensitive about his size as well. While not showing any dislike of his own about his chubby appearance (bordering on denial of it), he gets hurt emotionally and even threatening when someone calls him "fat" or makes fun of his size. Zomom also appears to have low self-esteem; he wonders if it is possible to make him look any worse, and upon being defeated, says that his mother was right about him being a failure.
Like the other members of the Deadly Six, Zomom is inherently malicious, sadistic, and violent. He takes great enjoyment in causing pain, inflicting physical punishment and killing others, and finds fun in hostile violence. An omnicidal monster, he has no qualms about causing massive genocide for his own gain. Zomom also comes off as vengeful, given that once he was freed from Eggman's enslavement, he launched an attack on the scientist, and afterward wanted to squeeze Eggman to death and eat him.
Powers and abilities
Described as a Zeti with mysterious powers, Zomom possesses superhuman strength, enough to easily crush people to death. Despite his size, he is also capable of very fast movements; he can spin at such speeds that he can form powerful dust tornadoes around himself and can run at extreme speeds. He also has incredible jumping skill, allowing him to leap high into the air and across very large distances in an instant.
In practice, Zomom is able to use his massive build to his advantage by launching downward impacts on the ground to create violent tremors powerful enough to tear up the environment and make people lose their footing, or flatten foes with devastating force. In addition, Zomom is a very profound burrower, capable of digging through ground and rock at speeds rivaling that of the Yellow Drill. He also has the ability to project harmful yellow energy blasts from his body. Zomom is also capable of flight.
Zomom possesses very high eating capabilities, bordering on that of unlimited, as he is capable of performing feats such as eating a turkey leg in one bite, bone and all, or consuming excessively large amounts of food that surpass his own size.
As a Zeti, Zomom possesses the innate ability to manipulate magnetic fields, which enables him to control electronics. This allows Zomom to take control of robots and other kinds of machinery.
Zomon is encountered at Desert Ruins on the Wii U version of Sonic Lost World. His boss fight includes him jumping on a 2.5D view while trying to crush Sonic. He will also spin around his arms in a fast movement, similar to a tornado of sorts. He moves at a fast pace despite his weight. He is shown to be encountered in Zone One and Zone Two of Desert Ruins.
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Zomom and the Deadly Six were enslaved with the Cacophonic Conch by Dr. Eggman when he conquered the Lost Hex. However, the villainous Sigma, who came from an alternate world, freed them from Eggman's control. Zomom and the Deadly Six then pretended to go with Sigma's plans until they received power-enhancing armor from him, and betrayed him. However, as they tried to take over Sigma, Sigma took over Zomom and the others' minds using a device hidden in their armor, and had hthem serve as one of his commanders until the unified heroes freed him. The Deadly Six's involvement would later be erased when Xander Payne erased all the events of Worlds Unite.
In the not-so-distant future, Zomom would be enslaved by Eggman once again.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing, Zomom is a villainous Zeti and a member of the Deadly Six. His past is virtually identical to his game counterpart's, up until after Sonic Forces. During the Metal Virus pandemic, Zomom and the Deadly Six took control of Dr. Eggman's Faceship and his army of Zombots with the aid of the Chaos Emeralds. Zomom himself then traveled to Vista View, where he enslaved the inhabitants and ordered them to bring him food. However, he was defeated by Tails and Amy, and imprisoned by the villagers after they recovered.
- "Oh... Watchin' him run is making me hungry! I hope he gets here soon. Gonna gobble me some hedgehog! A-After I TENDERIZE him!"
- —Zomom getting excited that Sonic is approaching him.
- "Wow, he's movin' awfully quick. I know fast food's not good for you, but... a little taste never hurt anyone."
- —Zomom thinking about eating Sonic.
- "He's getting closer! I-I'm shaking like jelly! Of course, I ALWAYS shake like jelly! Mmmm... Jelly!"
- —Zomom scared at how fast Sonic is coming.
- "If I'm not careful, I'm gonna be toast! Ahhh, toast. No, no! Gotta concentrate, o-or he's gonna make mincemeat outta me! Ahhh, mincemeat! Aw, I need an intervention."
- —Zomom trying to concentrate on defeating Sonic.
- "I'll bet all that I can stomach you, nasty pest! I'm gonna eat you raw and use your stupid spines as toothpicks!"
- —Zomom planning to devour Sonic.
- "Wow, you're barely a snack!"
- —Zomom before fighting Sonic for the first time.
- "Ugh, you're the worst meal EVER!"
- —Zomom after Sonic hit him with a Homing Attack.
- "Hey, who're you callin' fat?!"
- —Zomom after being called fat by Eggman.
- "Oh, man! I can't believe he's made it this far! He's gonna make me look bad! I mean, worse! Is that even possible?!"
- —Zomom when Sonic is approaching him.
- "Does this mean no dessert?"
- —Zomom after being defeated for the first time.
- "Hey! I forgot the mustard! Be right back!"
- —Zomom after meeting Sonic again.
- "Looks like dinner is served!"
- —Zomom before fighting Sonic for the second time.
- "I gotta go! It's dinnertime!"
- —Zomom after being defeated for the second time.
- "It'll be fun to have your little buddy scramble you like an omelet. Omelet... Mmmmm..."
- —Zomom taunting Tails about having to fight Sonic.
- "Blue! My favorite flavor."
- —Zomom before fighting Sonic for the last time.
- "Mom was right; I'm a failure!"
- —Zomom after being defeated for the last time.
- "Oh boy! Sandwich!"
- —Zomom while being hired by Eggman.
- "Aw, man! Now you made me hungry! Let's hurry up and destroy him!"
- —Zomom while joining Zazz and Master Zik.
- "You're small and fast, but I'm big and slow! Hey, wait! You better not make fun of my size! That's hurtful..."
- —Zomom when Sonic is approaching him.
- "Mmmm... He looks like a giant blueberry, all plump and juicy. I wonder if those spines'll stick in my throat when I swallow him whole!"
- —Zomom when Sonic is approaching him
- "Gonna tenderize you, meat!"
- —Zomom after being hit by a Homing Attack.
- Zomom has more horns than any other member of the Deadly Six.
- Zomom is the tallest and heaviest member of the Deadly Six.
- Just after his second defeat at the hands of Sonic, Zomom mentions "Mom was right, I'm a failure!" This suggests that there are other Zeti, or at least that there were other Zeti. Zomom is also the only Zeti to mention having a family.
- Zomom's name is probably based on "Nom nom" noises, a reference to his eating habits.
- In the Nightmare Zone DLC, Zomom is the only member of the Deadly Six not to be riding on a Second-Level Nightmaren.
- Zomom is the only member of the Deadly Six who does not have hair.
- In Japanese, the totem-shaped head Zomom is fought on during his boss fight in Desert Ruins is referred to as Ganmen (ガンメン Ganmen?, lit. "Face"). Unlike the other mounts used by the Deadly Six in Sonic Lost World, the totem head is not described as a mecha, instead being referred to as "floating terrain".
- File:SLW Zomom bio profile.jpg
- Devra Newberger Speregen (2016). Sonic: The Ultimate Character Guide. Scholastic. ISBN 978-1338033243.
- Sonic Lost World Cutscene: Zomom's Take-out Lunch.
- 『ソニック ロストワールド』 六鬼衆「ゾモン」紹介ムービー (Japanese). YouTube. Sega (26 September 2013). Retrieved on 8 January 2022. "『ソニック ロストワールド』に登場する最狂最悪の敵「六鬼衆」の破壊工作担当「ゾモン」。食べることが大好きで常に何かしら食べているが、その食欲は敵対する相手にも向けられる。空中浮遊地形「ガンメン」を使ってソニックに襲い掛かる。 (Zomom is the saboteur of the Deadly Six in Sonic Lost World. He loves to eat, and is always seen eating something, though he also possesses an appetite for his opponents. He attacks Sonic using the floating terrain 'Ganmen'.)"
- Sonic Lost World. Retrieved on 6 October 2013. "Zomom maybe a little bumbling and slow, but he more than makes up for that with bone crushing strength and an unlimited appetite. When not helping plot world domination, Zomom likes to eat very large sandwiches, fried chicken and blue spikey hedgehogs!"
- Sonic Lost World (Wii U) electronic manual
- Japanese profile for Zomom: "A superstrength possessor and big eater who gobbles up everything he sees."