Zazz (ザズ Zazu?) is an antagonist in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is a Zeti and a member of the Deadly Six, being the group's combatant in charge of special attack operations. When Dr. Eggman came to the Lost Hex, Zazz and the other members of the Deadly Six were forced into serving the doctor due to the effects of the Cacophonic Conch. After Sonic the Hedgehog arrived and got rid of the conch, Zazz and the others rebelled against Eggman and took control of his forces. Afterwards, Zazz followed Zavok's plans to make him and the other Deadly Six stronger by using Eggman's Extractor while destroying the earth, but was ultimately defeated by Sonic.
Zazz is a very tall and very lanky Zeti, with very thin limbs and body structure. The upper half of his body appears to be vibrant pink, while his body from the waist down is pure black, ending in two-clawed feet with purple toes. A third much smaller claw appears to jut out from his heels. Zazz has a long tail that appears to be bent into a vague "Z" shape, similar to that of Knuckles the Echidna. Zazz has a row of small black spikes running down his back, from the base of his neck to the middle of his spine. Zazz's thin arms end in proportionately large five-fingered hands, each finger tipped with purple nails.
Zazz has an oblong head with a large gaping mouth, which is never closed. He has long, thin, sharp teeth and a long cyan tongue, which is almost always seen hanging out the side of his mouth. He has green irises with yellow sclera and black markings under each eye. On the top of his head, Zazz has a pair of horns that point outwards, colored in alternating rings of black and light purple. Between them is a mohawk of purple hair.
For attire, Zazz wears a pair of black wrist cuffs with gray spikes on them, and a matching spiked collar.
Sonic Lost World
In the Wii U version and PC version of Sonic Lost World, Zazz and the Deadly Six met Dr. Eggman, who used a Cacophonic Conch to enslave them. Zazz then begrudgingly helped Eggman in his scheme for world domination by capturing Animals for an army of Badniks. When Zazz joined Eggman and the Deadly Six for a Badnik-making lesson where Eggman told how they would help him beat Sonic the Hedgehog, Zazz left upon Zavok's permission to fight Sonic himself, only to lose to the hedgehog.
While in Windy Hill, Zazz and his team came across Sonic. On Eggman's orders, Zazz confronted Sonic while Eggman and his fellow Zeti left, only to be beaten again. Resuming the Animal hunt, Zazz would be punished by Eggman with the Cacophonic Conch when Zavok spoke against Eggman's criticism of their efforts. Zazz and the Deadly Six later endured further scolding for their failures by Eggman with the Cacophonic Conch when Sonic appeared and knocked the conch away. Now free, Zazz and his team took control of Eggman's Badniks and had them attack everyone at the site, with Zazz joining an attack on Eggman, before Orbot, Cubot, Eggman, Sonic, and Tails chose to flee.
Having regained their freedom, the Deadly Six took control of Eggman's operations on the Lost Hex. While Sonic still opposed them though, Zazz was involuntarily used by Master Zik to demonstrate his physical prowess when he went after Sonic. Zazz subsequently went along with Zavok's plan to destroy the earth with Eggman's Extractor and use the energy it harvested to make the Deadly Six stronger, thus getting their revenge at Eggman. Joining Zavok when he contacted Sonic's group to discourage them, Zazz taunted them with their impending deaths before Eggman cut them out.
As the Deadly Six plotted to turn Sonic into their robotic slave, Zazz helped set a trap up for Sonic, only to find Tails caught in it when it returned. As Zor then arrived to announce the failed capture of Sonic, Zazz scowled in response. Using their Extractor-enhanced strength, Zazz and Zomom would later ambush Sonic and his allies, knocking everyone except Sonic into a lava pit. Zazz subsequently teamed up with Zomom and Master Zik to finish Sonic off for revenge, only to be beaten for good. What happened to Zazz afterward is unclear.
Other game appearances
Zazz appears as a boss event in the mobile game Sonic Dash as part of the "Sonic Lost World Event". He is encountered at random, and when encountered, he will be riding on top of the Moon Mech. The player must dodge his star attacks until the end of the section that the player is on. The player is then shot up into the air by a spring. In the air, the player is allowed to attack Zazz and his Moon Mech by tapping Zazz, earning more bonus points. Defeating him grants a boss bonus of up to 160,000 points, depending on the multiplier amount that is used.
In the version 1.9 update of Sonic Dash, Zazz became a permanent boss instead of just being temporary. In addition, an indication of encountering Zazz is the Eggman symbols that appears on all the monitors before hitting the springs. However, that indication was changed to Zazz's head at the version 1.9.1 update.
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Mario & Sonic series
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
In the Wii U version of the game, Zazz is a guest character that is only playable in certain events. To unlock him, the player must defeat him in a Table Tennis event when he challenges them to a tournament match on Copacabana Beach. Also, a Mii costume set based on Zazz can be unlocked in the game by completing Zazz's Carnival Challenge. However, it must be collected in two separate parts, each with their own stat changes.
In the Wii U version of the game, Zazz has the following characteristics, description and icons:
|Icon||Skill Type||Stats||Playable Event(s)||Biography||Flag|
|Speed||7||8||3||Table Tennis||The wild and crazy member of Dr. Eggman's Deadly Six, Zazz is every bit the metalhead he looks like and and his unruly and unpredictable personality makes him destructive even by Deadly Six standards. He hates boredom above all else, and will fly into a rage when held back from a fight. His competitive style is a bit more chaotic than is usually seen in the Olympic Games.|
In the Nintendo 3DS version of the game, Zazz is an unlockable main roster character that is only playable in certain events. To unlock him, the player must beat him in the Table Tennis Plus event on Day 2 of Sonic's Story in Road to Rio mode. He has the following characteristics:
|Artwork||Stats||Playable Event(s)||Challenged in Road to Rio?|
||Sonic's Story Day 2 (unlock challenge)|
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
In the Nintendo Switch version of the game, Zazz is a guest character that is only playable in the Table Tennis event. To unlock him, the player must defeat Zazz in Table Tennis (Singles) as Vector in Chapter 7 of the game's story mode. In this mode, Eggman Nega brought out Zazz to have some fun with the heroes while they waited for him to complete his analysis of the Tokyo '64 game console. Insisting that he only did this for his own victory despite Bowser Jr. demanding him to verse the heroes for his entertainment, Zazz took on Vector, but was defeated. Swearing revenge, Zazz left after the match.
In the Nintendo Switch version of the game, Zazz has the following characteristics:
|Icon||Skill Type||Biography||Wears unique clothing
|Speed||Zazz is always ready for a fight! He is trusted as a brave and powerful warrior by Zavok, the leader of the Deadly Six.||✗|
In Sonic Runners, Zazz appeared during the "Zazz Raid Event". Here, Zazz returned to get revenge on Sonic by stealing Power Rings to become more powerful. Every time Zazz fought Team Sonic however, he would be defeated. The defeats prompted Zazz to seek help from the Deadly Six, but their help either failed or got him teased. Eventually though, Zavok persuaded Zazz to keep on fighting. What Zazz did not realize though, was that Zavok was using him to watch Sonic's techniques to secure the Deadly Six's eventual victory over the hedgehog.
During the "Zazz Raid Event", Zazz can be fought in three boss battles, but players have to encounter him first by playing through regular stages. For the "Zazz (Normal)" boss, Zazz rides the Moon Mech while shooting Star-Shaped Missiles. Dodge the projectiles and keep hitting Zazz with the Spin Jump to defeat him. A "Zazz (Rare)" boss can also be encountered, where Zazz rides a silver Moon Mech, requires more hits to be defeated and sets up bumpers to slow down the player. The third, rarest and strongest version is "Zazz (Super-Rare)". There, he rides a golden Moon Mech and attacks with star-shaped Saw Arms, while constantly trying to ram the player. While only having 10 HP the first time, Zazz levels up each time he is defeated, eventually gaining over thousands of HP and making his attacks much faster. He will also start dropping bumpers in the Normal and Super-Rare battles after having been defeated fifty times.
Sonic Forces: Speed Battle
In Sonic Forces: Speed Battle, Zazz is one of the playable characters who was added to the game's roster in the version 2.2.0 update. He has the following gameplay characteristics:
|Moto-Bug||Electro Boost||Star Trail|
On 12 May 2021, Zazz was re-released as "Punk Zazz", a variant character of Zazz dressed in a punk-inspired costume as a part of the version 3.7.0 update. This character has the following gameplay characteristics:
|Audio Assault||Bass Boost||Tornado|
Sonic at the Olympic Games (2020)
In Sonic at the Olympic Games (2020), Zazz appears as the boss of the Hammer Throw (EX) event in Yokohama. In the story, he was hired by Dr. Eggman to stop Sonic from collecting medals in Yokohama in order to save Japan. At one point, Zazz revealed that while Sonic was busy freeing Shinjuku from Eggman Nega's control, he and Zavok seized control over Yokohama. Zazz subsequently teamed up with Zavok to finish Sonic off in Yokohama, only to be beaten for good and leaving Japan.
To unlock Zazz as a playable character, the player must beat him during his match with Sonic in the Boss Rush event in Yokohama and win the gold medal. Like in Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, Zazz is only available for Table Tennis.
Zazz is a nasty, cruel, and ruthless Zeti with an unpredictable and temperamental personality which is both his greatest strength and greatest weakness. The meanest and most psychopathic of his entire race, he is every bit the metalhead he looks like and is wild and unruly to the point where he comes off as rather feral. In addition to yelling almost everything he says, he always wears a very wild expression and attacks with equal savagery. He likewise walks around with erratic body movements and even twitches occasionally. He is heedless to manners and social customs, having no trouble getting extremely close to the face of others, giving rude comments, and shows complete disinterest when being scolded. His insanity, however, makes him brave as he rarely shows a single sign of distress. Because of his unpredictability, however, it can be easy to turn the tables on him.
Zazz loves to fight and enjoys running wild more than eating three meals a day; holding him back from a fight will sent him flying into a rage. Hating boredom above all else, Zazz is always ready for a fight, even before he knows what he will be fighting, and will pursue his enemies with relentless determination and attack with powerful strikes. Another trait of Zazz is his short temper and hot-headedness; he hates when people show him disrespect and just a few snarky comments or oppositions are enough to send him into a furious frenzy. When angry, Zazz also has a tendency to make gruesome threats against his enemies, such as telling Sonic he would "mess him up" and "skin him alive". Zazz is also arrogant about his fighting skills. For example, the first time Sonic defeated Zazz in a fight, he claimed Sonic only won due to luck, and the second time Sonic defeated him, Zazz said he could not believe it.
Like the other members of the Deadly Six, Zazz is inherently malicious, sadistic, and violent. He has an extreme appetite for violence and destruction, even by the Deadly Six's standards due to his unpredictable and unruly personality, and he relishes in the prospect of carnage and destruction, wildly eager and joyous about killing others by dismembering them. He also has a macabre sense of humor, laughing every time he managed to land a hit on Sonic, and at how he and his allies would die from the Extractor. In line with his thirst for bloodshed, Zazz is an omnicidal monster, having no qualms about causing global genocide for his own gain. He is also vengeful, given that once he was freed from Eggman's enslavement, Zazz launched an attack on the scientist, and wanted to get back at Sonic after he defeated him.
Powers and abilities
Trusted as a powerful warrior by Zavok, Zazz possesses high amounts of physical strength and a powerful grip, allowing him to easily lift, throw, and carry the large Moon Mech with just one hand. He is also able to run at super speeds, enough to let him keep up with Sonic, all while carrying the Moon Mech. In addition, Zazz also has incredible jumping skill, allowing him to leap high into the air and across very large distances in an instant. He is also highly acrobatic, enough to let him easily balance on the fast-rolling Moon Mech.
Besides his physical abilities, Zazz is also capable of flight and possesses the ability to project volleys of pink energy balls and generate pink, jack-shaped energy bombs.
As a Zeti, Zazz possesses the innate ability to manipulate magnetic fields, which enables him to control electronics. This allows Zazz to take control of robots and other kinds of machinery.
In other media
Books and comics
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Zazz and the Deadly Six were enslaved with the Cacophonic Conch by Dr. Eggman when he conquered the Lost Hex. However, Sigma, a villainous robot from an alternate world, freed them from Eggman's control. After Zazz and the Deadly Six received power-enhancing armor from Sigma to help with his plans, they betrayed him and tried subjugating him, but Sigma took over Zazz's mind using a device hidden in his armor, and had him serve as one of his commanders until the unified heroes freed him. The Deadly Six's involvement would later be erased when Xander Payne erased all the events of Worlds Unite.
In the not-so-distant future, Zazz would be enslaved by Eggman once again.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing, Zazz is a villainous Zeti and a member of the Deadly Six. His past is virtually identical to his game counterpart's, up until after Sonic Forces. During the Metal Virus pandemic, Zazz and the Deadly Six took control of Dr. Eggman's Faceship and his army of Zombots with the aid of the Chaos Emeralds. Zazz himself then went to Riverside, where he used the Zombots to cause destruction everywhere. Soon after, however, Espio appeared and stripped him of his Chaos Emerald. Afterward, Zazz continued to terrorized the city for a while, but eventually decided to go find Zavok.
- "Yeah, you bet! Bring it on and I'll rip it up!"
- —Zazz responding to Zavok's praise.
- "He's gettin' pretty close. I'm gonna have to bring in my A game if I wanna mop the floor with his spiny butt!"
- —Zazz taunting Sonic during Windy Hill Zone 2.
- "Hoohahahaw! I never thought you'd make it this far in one piece. We may get to tangle after all!"
- —Zazz taunting Sonic during Windy Hill Zone 2.
- "It's beatdown time!"
- —Zazz's opening line of the boss fight at Windy Hill Zone 2.
- "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry!"
- —Zazz during the boss fight at Windy Hill Zone 2.
- "Stinkin' hedgehog!"
- —Zazz during the boss fight of Windy Hill Zone 2 when he is hit enough times.
- "You were lucky this time!"
- —Zazz after being defeated at Windy Hill Zone 2.
- "I'm gonna mess you up!"
- —Zazz upon being disrespected by Sonic.
- "I know the perfect spot to take care of you."
- —Zazz threatening Sonic after Eggman and the rest of the Deadly Six left.
- "Hoohoo, that rotten Sonic! I better take this hedgehog down, or the gang'll harass me till I'M blue!"
- —Zazz taunting Sonic during Windy Hill Zone 4.
- "Okay, you surprised me. Better sharpen those spines, tough guy, 'cause next up on the menu is ME!"
- —Zazz taunting Sonic during Windy Hill Zone 4.
- "You're goin' home in a BOX!"
- —Zazz's opening line of his boss fight in Windy Hill Zone 4.
- "You'd better try harder, small fry, or you ain't NEVER gonna reach me!"
- —Zazz taunting Sonic.
- "(groan) Got to admit, I figgered you'd be roadkill by now. YOU GOT SPUNK, SHORTY!"
- —Zazz upset that his traps didn't kill Sonic.
- "Gonna skin you ALIVE!"
- —Zazz during the boss fight at Windy Hill Zone 4.
- "I can't believe it!"
- —Zazz defeated in Windy Hill Zone 4.
- "But where are you gonna live when your world's dead, guys? Oh, right! You'll be dead too! (laughs) Too bad for you! (giggles)"
- —Zazz taunting Sonic, Tails Eggman about their approaching end.
- "Time for some REVENGE! Right, Master?"
- —Zazz before Lava Mountain Zone 1.
- "The boss is gonna beat me!"
- —Zazz after being defeated for the last time.
- In Sonic Lost World, Zazz's theme song is "The Deadly Six Theme (Violin ver./Orchestral ver.)" and "Boss Rushes". This shared with the other members of the Deadly Six.
- In Sonic at the Olympic Games (2020), Zazz's theme is "Boss - Zazz", a remix of "The Deadly Six Theme" that plays during his boss fight.
- Zazz's name may be based on the music genre, jazz. His accent is also reminiscent of a stereotypical New Orleans dialect.
- In the Japanese version of Sonic Lost World, Zazz is the only member of the Deadly Six to have spoken English.
- One of Zazz' quotes, "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry!", is in reference to a catchphrase from the Marvel character, The Incredible Hulk.
- Could use this move in Sonic Forces: Speed Battle.
- File:SLW Zazz Profile.jpg
- SEGA HARDlight (7 March 2013). Sonic Dash. iOS. Sega. "LOST WORLD UPDATE: The Sonic Lost World promotion is now over but Zazz likes Sonic Dash so much he is going to hang around!"
- Sega (23 June 2016). Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. Wii U. Nintendo. Area/Level: Collectibles (Flags). "The wild and crazy member of Dr. Eggman's Deadly Six, Zazz is every bit the metalhead he looks like and his unruly and unpredictable personality makes him destructive even by Deadly Six standards. He hates boredom above all else, and will fly into a rage when held back from a fight. His competitive style is a bit more chaotic than is usually seen in the Olympic Games."
- Devra Newberger Speregen (2016). Sonic: The Ultimate Character Guide. Scholastic. p. 46. ISBN 978-1338033243.
- 『ソニック ロストワールド』 六鬼衆「ザズ」紹介ムービー (Japanese). YouTube. Sega (26 September 2013). Retrieved on 8 January 2022. "『ソニック ロストワールド』に登場する最狂最悪の敵「六鬼衆」の特攻担当戦闘員「ザズ」。六鬼衆の中でも戦闘が大好きな戦闘狂。月型兵器「エッグムーン」を使ってソニックに襲い掛かる。"
- Sonic Lost World (Wii U) English digital instruction booklet.
- Sega (23 June 2016). Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. Wii U. Nintendo. "Zazz: Eh? What are you looking at? Don't you recognize Zazz, the meanest and most maniacal of the Zeti? I am not to be trifled with!"
- Japanese profile for Zazz: "A battle crazy who loves to run wild more than three meals a day."
- Dimps (29 October 2013). Sonic Lost World. Nintendo 3DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zazz - Lava Mountain Zone.