Yacker (ヤッカー Yakkā?) is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is a White Wisp and the ambassador of the Wisps. He served as Sonic and Tails' silent guide during the incident with Dr. Eggman's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park. While he understands the language spoken by Sonic and his friends very well, he, like the rest of his kind, is unable to actually speak it.
Like other Wisps, Yacker's body is composed entirely of Hyper-go-on, a powerful energy that serves as his life source. He shares the same standard appearance of the average White Wisp, giving him a spherical head with three tentacles, two of which are used as arms. He has one pink eye in the center of his head, and two very alien-like antennae on top of his head. Yacker's most distinguishing feature that sets him apart from the other White Wisps, however, is a strand of curly blue "hair" on his head between his antennae.
In the Wii version of Sonic Colors, and the remaster Sonic Colors: Ultimate, Yacker and a Cyan Wisp are running away from Cubot and Orbot, who are trying to capture them. Sonic, seeing everything, saves Yacker and the Cyan Wisp just as Cubot was about to catch them. He eventually makes his way to Tails while Sonic was checking out the place. When he met Tails, he was trying to tell him something but Tails couldn't understand because Yacker can only make chattering noises. Tails decides to make a translator to understand him. While Tails was making it, Sonic comes and sees Yacker. Tails explains that Yacker can help them (note that they do not know his name at this point). Sonic agrees with Yacker's help but only if Tails can get the translator right. However, the translator seems to be not so accurate with Yacker's language, sometimes translating Yacker's language with silly phrases. However, when it is translated right, Yacker could tell if it's translating right. After a little transition, they learn his name and get a little idea on the Wisp Power. He then stays with Tails for the remainder of the game as he is mainly seen with Tails and not Sonic, but when they see each other they have a nice greeting. In the dislike for Eggman, he calls him "Baldy Nosehair", which Sonic and Tails find very amusing and funny. This gave the idea for Sonic to call him "Baldy McNosehair" and Tails said he found it so funny that he "wrote it down".
At the Asteroid Coaster, Yacker disappears for unknown reasons, which leaves Tails and Sonic to worry that he might have been captured and turned into a Nega Wisp. He reappears back at the Tropical Resort. Yacker, along with some of the Wisps Sonic saved, are seen having a party, with Sonic and Tails as the guests of honor, but the party is soon crashed when Eggman begins to fire his mind-control cannon and the Wisps, including Yacker, run away. After Sonic failed to outrun the black hole, Yacker is seen with a few other Wisps, who carry Sonic back to his world. Yacker then flies into space, changing all the Purple and Violet Wisps back to their normal forms and gets them to stop the black hole. Afterwards, Yacker returns to Sonic and Tails to thank them for their help, gives both of them a high five, and leaves with the other Wisps and their planets.
In the DS version after completing the main story, Sonic and Tails, through unknown means get back into space, and find Yacker, who tells them about what Eggman did to his mom, so Super Sonic saves her, and they return to their home worlds.
Other game appearances
Sonic Lost World
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
In Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, Yacker makes an appearance during the Dream Event "Sonic's Figure Skating Spectacular". When the event begins, he flies out of the audience and approaches the four participating characters to give them a message, pleading them to save his friends and defeat the Rotatatron. Once the Rotatatron is defeated and the Wisps are saved, Yacker joins the player in celebrating the victory.
Sonic Runners series
During the "Birthday on Windy Hill" event, Yacker returned to earth to celebrate Sonic's birthday, but got kidnapped along with Chip and some Chao by Dr. Eggman when he trashed the party with his Death Egg drones. Much to Yacker's joy, Team Sonic soon after freed them and he gladly offered any he could. Once Sonic got back from defeating Eggman, Yacker wished him a happy birthday in his incomprehensible language.
Sonic Runners Adventure
Sonic Forces: Speed Battle
In Sonic Forces: Speed Battle, Yacker appears on some of the game's loading screens that were featured during the game's promotion of Sonic Colors: Ultimate. He also makes a small cameo at the end of the tracks that take place on Planet Wisp.
Like other White Wisps, Yacker is very sociable and friendly. He has a generally happy attitude and enjoys talking and playing around. He also cares very much for his friends and family, showing general worry when his fellow Wisps were captured by Eggman and sadness when he had to leave Sonic and Tails.
Yacker is rather big on body language, often casually mimicking other people's body movements, or using his own movements to illustrate other subjects in an energetic, yet direct manner.
Powers and abilities
Yacker is able to levitate in midair at will, which serves as his main method of transportation.
As a trait shared by his species, Yacker is able to generate and store his own unique variant of a powerful energy known as Hyper-go-on inside his own body, which is his life source. It is unclear to what extent Yacker can use his own Hyper-go-on, through he has been shown being able to use it to revert Nega-Wisps back to normal, carry objects through levitation, teleport objects and restrain black holes made of Hyper-go-on.
Yacker is able to pass on a fraction of his Hyper-go by phasing into the recipient. When organic beings or robots receive his Hyper-go-on, they can use the Boost to pass through enemies as a living projectile and move at higher speeds.
In other media
Books and comics
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Yacker appeared in the comics' Sonic Colors adaptation. He basically did the same thing like he did in the beginning of the game, which is to say something and Tails works his translator to understand him. Sonic saved him and some other Wisps, and they embarked on their journey to save the rest of the Wisps from Dr. Eggman.
After the Super Genesis Wave re-wrote history, Yacker's history became nearly identical to that of his game counterpart.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing, Yacker is a White Wisp and an old friend of Sonic the Hedgehog. His past is virtually identical to his game counterpart's, up until the events of Sonic Forces.
- —Yacker saying, "Red Burst", in his native tongue, Sonic Colors (Nintendo DS)
- —Yacker saying "He's got a short fuse, but he's not mad now." in his native tongue, Sonic Colors (Nintendo DS)
- —Yacker saying, "We Wisps store a powerful energy within our bodies. Eggman is trying to suck that power out", in his native tongue, Sonic Colors (Nintendo DS)
- —Yacker saying, "All that bouncing around would make me sick", in his native tongue, Sonic Colors (Nintendo DS)
- "There's a whole lot of space out there, but there's only one Sonic!"
- —Yacker, Sonic Colors (Nintendo DS)
- —Yacker saying, "Mama gave us life and raised us. She even made the planet we live on", in his native tongue, Sonic Colors (Nintendo DS)
- —Yacker saying, "I won't. Mama and I will head home now. Thank you for all you've done!" in his native tongue, Sonic Colors (Nintendo DS)
- Yacker is the only Wisp to have a unique physical feature that separates him from the rest of his species.
- In one cutscene, Tails' device mistranslates Yacker's name as "Talks-a-lot". Comically, "yacking" is a slang for talking.
- In the fifth Sonic Twitter Takeover, Yacker was voiced by Colleen O'Shaughnessey.
- SONIC RUNNERSS[SEGA]. Sega. Archived from the original on 26 February 2025.
- Sonic Team (16 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Wii. Sega. Area/Level: Sweet Mountain. "Tails: So anyway, these aliens are made up of a REALLY powerful energy source called Hyper-go-ons. It's inside of them... / Sonic: Like a battery? / Tails: No... Well... Sort of. It's their life source. You only got a taste of it and look at what happened. "Battery" is sort of an understatement."
- Dimps (16 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Cutscene: Plight of the Wisps. "Yacker: C$7**E! / Tails: Let's see... "We Wisps store a powerful energy within our bodies." "Eggman is trying to suck that power out.""
- Sonic Twitter Takeover #5 - All Answers. YouTube. Sega (16 September 2021). Retrieved on 17 September 2021. "A compilation of every response from our 5th Twitter Takeover event. This event could not be possible without our AMAZING talent, featuring Roger Craig Smith (Sonic), Colleen O'Shaughnessey (Tails/Yacker), Mike Pollock (Dr. Eggman), and Kirk Thornton (Shadow)."