The World Rings (世界リング Sekai Ringu?) are objects that appear in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a set of seven mystical rings from the world of the Arabian Nights that serve as the hearts that make up the stories of the Arabian Nights, as well as the ties that keep the world of the Arabian Nights together. Each World Ring corresponds to a different emotion that represents one of the story aspects of the Arabian Nights.
Concept and creation
The World Rings are hoops at roughly the size of basketballs, and are made of a glass-like substance. Each World Ring's surface is also decorated with matching silver images on their surfaces. Each World Ring also comes in one of seven colors: blue, purple, red, green, yellow, aqua, and white.
Powers and traits
The World Rings are extremely elusive objects: most of the inhabitants of the world of the Arabian Nights believe that they are nothing more than a myth. The World Rings themselves possess cataclysmic power; Sonic himself could hardly imagine what could happen to someone possessing all seven World Rings and even theorized that all seven World Rings could open the gates of hell.
The World Rings cannot be physically touched by inhabitants from the world of the Arabian Nights, as the Worlds Rings will simply pass through those beings as if they were intangible. Only beings not native to the world of the Arabian Nights can physically touch a World Ring. However, they can be be held indirectly by beings from the world of the Arabian Nights via magic. Each World Ring also has a certain emotion sealed up inside them. When physically touched, a World Ring will give its holder a slightly painful jolt that let them sense a "whirlpool of emotions" related to the emotion it contains inside themselves. Apparently, the influence eminating from the World Rings can supposedly drive lesser djinns mad. These emotions appeal to both good or bad aspects of a person. The emotions sealed inside each World Ring are as follows:
- Blue Ring - Prayers/Hope
- Purple Ring - Sadness
- Red Ring - Rage/Anger
- Green Ring - Hatred
- Yellow Ring - Joy/Happiness
- Aqua Ring - Pleasure/Joy
- White Ring - Wishes/Desire
Described as the hearts that make up the stories of the Arabian Nights, the World Rings are what bind the Arabian Nights' stories together to form the world of the Arabian Nights, and are capable of controlling the world of the Arabian Nights. Some of the World Rings in particular have demonstrated certain reality-controlling aspects of their own; the Aqua Ring can control storms and the White Ring can open the Night Palace's gates. When the seven World Rings are brought together, they are as well capable of opening the "portal between the worlds". The World Rings can as well be harnessed by different beings, allowing them to transform into beings of greater power.
The control of the World Rings' can only be obtained through a ritual: by sacrificing the life of the collector of the World Rings, the user of the World Rings will gain the key to control them. If a different life is sacrificed in the collector's place, the control of the World Rings will remain incomplete. While in this state, the World Rings can bestow their user with great power, but their user will be driven insane and emotionally unstable, and can even mutate into incomplete monsters. Such was the case when Erazor Djinn sacrificed Shahra instead of Sonic, which turned him into the monstrous and incomplete Alf Layla wa-Layla. A similar instance also happened when Sonic turned into Darkspine Sonic.
Sonic Storybook series
Sonic and the Secret Rings
During their adventures through the world of the Arabian Nights, Sonic and Shahra would collect the World Rings for Erazor, or Sonic would die from a curse Erazor had placed upon him. The pair first found the Yellow Ring in Sand Oasis after Sonic defeated the Sand Scorpion. While Shahra could not touch it, Sonic managed to do it, and experienced a jolt of emotions from the World Ring. This prompted Shahra to recite a prophesy regarding Sonic and the World Rings, although Sonic was surprised to learn he was supposed to be sacrificed for the sake of the World Rings. Sonic and Shahra later found the Green Ring in Dinosaur Jungle, which had supposedly driven the local djinns mad, Like before, Sonic felt a jolt of emotions when touching the World Ring. While in Levitated Ruin later on, Sonic and Shahra found the Blue Ring after defeating some djinns. Feeling another jolt of emotions when touching the World Ring, Sonic began piecing together the effects of the World Rings while wondering what all seven together could do. The Aqua Ring, which had belonged to Sinbad the Sailor who used it to control storms, had in the meantime been stolen by pirates. After Sonic defeated Captain Bemoth however, the pair found the World Ring. With Shahra unable to grab it, Sonic took the World Ring and felt another jolt of emotions. Hurrying then to the Evil Foundry, Sonic used the Aqua Ring to summon a storm that weakened the Ifrit Golem. In the aftermath, Sonic took a bomb released by the Ifrit Golem out into the open to explode, where it released the Red Ring. Touching the Ring, Sonic felt more emotions, which he identified as "rage". Sonic and Shahra later found the White Ring in Skeleton Dome, where it gave Sonic another emotional experience upon grabbing it. Its power, which Sonic identified as "desire", made Sonic ponder about the power the World Rings held and what Erazor wanted with them. When Sonic and Shahra later reached the Night Palace, Sonic used the White Ring to open the palace gates. Inside the palace, the pair also found the Purple Ring, which made Sonic feel what he could tell was "sadness".
When Sonic found his passage to Erazor blocked by a sealed door, he and Shahra inserted the seven World Rings into its recesses, allowing them to open it. On the other side, Erazor persuaded Shahra to give him the seven World Rings. He then intended to sacrifice Sonic to gain control of their power. However, he ended up killing Shahra instead when she took the blow intended for Sonic. As a result, the control of the World Rings remained incomplete. When Erazor then absorbed the World Rings, he ended up transforming into the monstrous and insane incomplete incarnation of the Arabian Nights: Alf Layla wa-Layla. As Alf Layla wa-Layla announced his intention to remake the world of the Arabian Nights in his image, the Red Ring, Green Ring, and Purple Ring ejected from Alf Layla wa-Layla's body and got absorbed by Sonic, transforming him into Darkspine Sonic. In the ensuing battle, Sonic literally beat the World Rings' power out of Alf Layla wa-Layla, thus returning Erazor to normal. Afterward, Sonic seemingly expelled the World Rings from himself to return to normal too.
In gameplay, the player can collect the World Rings by completing the following Missions:
|Yellow Ring||Sand Oasis||Mission 13: Defeat the boss|
|Green Ring||Dinosaur Jungle||Mission 9: Special Challenge|
|Red Ring||Evil Foundry||Mission 5: Beat the Clock|
|Blue Ring||Levitated Ruin||Mission 9: Rampage!|
|Aqua Ring||Pirate Storm||Mission 13: Defeat the boss|
|White Ring||Skeleton Dome||Mission 5: Rampage!|
|Purple Ring||Night Palace||Mission 5: Rampage!|
Sonic and the Black Knight
In Sonic and the Black Knight, the seven World Rings appear as some of the collectibles in the game. In gameplay, the player can collect the World Rings during the Legacy Missions found in certain areas. For then to obtain a World Ring, the player must use the ID points earned from completing the Mission where each World Ring was picked up to identify it on the identification screen. Collecting all seven World Rings in the game will unlock the song "Seven Rings In Hand" by Crush 40 in the Gallery to listen to. The player can collect the World Rings by completing following Missions:
|White Ring||Crystal Cave||Legacy: Reach the Goal|
|Blue Ring||Titanic Plain||Legacy: Reach the Goa|
|Yellow Ring||Molten Mine||Legacy: Reach the Goal|
|Aqua Ring||Knight's Passage||Legacy: Reach the Goal|
|Green Ring||Shrouded Forest||Legacy: Reach the Goal|
|Red Ring||The Cauldron||Legacy: Reach the Goa|
|Purple Ring||Dragon's Lair||Legacy: Reach the Goal!|
Sonic Rivals 2
In Sonic Rivals 2, each of the seven World Rings makes an appearance as one the collectible cards in the game, and serve no purpose in the story. These cards depict the World Rings as they appeared in Sonic and the Secret Rings. To collect each card, the player has to fulfill the following conditions:
- Blue World Ring: Successfully copying every rival characters' Signature Moves with Metal Sonic's Copycat.
- Green World Ring: Beating Tails twenty times as Metal Sonic.
- Purple World Ring: Logging three minutes of fly time with Tails.
- Red World Ring: Beating Metal Sonic twenty times as Tails.
- White World Ring: Using Espio's Signature Move Chroma Camo twenty times.
- Yellow World Ring: Beating Silver twenty times as Espio.
- Water Blue Ring: Collecting five hundred Rings with Rouge.
- The World Rings are in the same colors as the Chaos Emeralds.
- Sonic Team (20 February 2007). Sonic and the Secret Rings. Wii. Sega. Area/level: Night Palace. "Erazor Djinn: Prayers - Sadness - Rage - Hatred - Joy - Pleasure - Wishes - The seven hearts that make up the stories. These are the seven World Rings that bind these pages together."
- Sonic Team (20 February 2007). Sonic and the Secret Rings. Wii. Sega. Area/level: Skeleton Dome. "Sonic: Uh! Definitely one of the World Rings! It feels... it feels like light. To think this thing... could cause so much trouble. / Shahra: You mean... the ring? / Sonic: Such great power can bring people either happiness of misfortunes. / Shahra: There are many such stories told of in the Arabian Nights. / Sonic: For instance, this ring seems to be filled with "desire." That could mean aspiration, or maybe it could be great and ambition."
- Sonic Team (2007). Sonic and the Secret Rings. Wii. Sega. Mode: Special Book. Chapter 4, page 56. "World Ring Concept - We tried very hard to get different designs for all of the many rings that appear in the game."
- Sonic Team (2007). Sonic and the Secret Rings. Wii. Sega. Mode: Special Book. Chapter 4, page 55. "World Ring - Made of a glass-like substance, the rings give off seven different colors."
- Sonic Team (20 February 2007). Sonic and the Secret Rings. Wii. Sega. Area/level: Lost Prologue. "Shahra: Are you still going on about that? I told you, those things don't exist! And even if they did, I'd never give them to you!"
- Sonic Team (20 February 2007). Sonic and the Secret Rings. Wii. Sega. Area/level: Levitated Ruin. "Sonic: Yeah. I'm fine. Ok...alright. Just touching it makes me feel like I've got a whirlpool of emotions spiraling around inside me. I can't even begin to imagine what having all seven rings would do to someone. / Shahra: ... / Sonic: It might even open the gates of hell."
- Sonic Team (20 February 2007). Sonic and the Secret Rings. Wii. Sega. Area/level: Pirate Storm. "Shahra: That's another of the seven rings... the Water Blue Ring. I can't even touch the ring. / Sonic: Looks like I'm the only one that can touch them. I betcha because I'm not from this world. Does that mean these rings aren't from these world, either?"
- Sonic Team (20 February 2007). Sonic and the Secret Rings. Wii. Sega. Cutscene: Alf Layla wa-Layla Appears.
- Sonic Team (20 February 2007). Sonic and the Secret Rings. Wii. Sega. Area/level: Evil Foundry. "Sonic: I feel... rage. All that rage must have been sealed up inside of him. / Shahra: Rage? / Sonic: These rings must somehow seal in various emotions, too. The power of rage..."
- Sonic Team (20 February 2007). Sonic and the Secret Rings. Wii. Sega. Area/level: Sand Oasis. "Shahra: This must be one of the seven World Rings the Erazor Djinn spoke of! ? I can't pick it up... / Sonic: Ow! / Shahra: "When darkness descends upon the Arabian Nights - the legendary blue hedgehog from another world shall come." / Sonic: Me? Legendary? You've got to be kidding! You're gonna make me blush! / Shahra: "When the seven rings that control the world are gathered, the portal between the worlds shall open. But the life of the collector of the rings shall be offered up in sacrifice as the key for that control." That is what is written in the newest chapter of the Arabian Nights."
- Sonic Team (20 February 2007). Sonic and the Secret Rings. Wii. Sega. Area/level: Dinosaur Jungle. "Shahra: It's another one of the seven World Rings! / Sonic: Ah! This power... / Shahra: This must be what has driven the spirits mad, I think. It is only recently that they have been behaving this way."
- Sonic Team (13 March 2009). Sonic and the Black Knight. Wii. Sega. Area/level: Treasury. "Blue Ring description: A ring containing hope."
- Sonic Team (13 March 2009). Sonic and the Black Knight. Wii. Sega. Area/level: Treasury. "Red Ring description: A ring overflowing with anger."
- Sonic Team (13 March 2009). Sonic and the Black Knight. Wii. Sega. Area/level: Treasury. "Yellow Ring description: A ring full of happiness."
- Sonic Team (13 March 2009). Sonic and the Black Knight. Wii. Sega. Area/level: Treasury. "Aqua Ring description: A ring holding joy."
- Sonic Team (20 February 2007). Sonic and the Secret Rings. Wii. Sega. Area/level: Levitated Ruin. "Sinbad: You see, the pirates who locked me up here took the Water Blue Ring I use to control storms."
- Sonic Team (20 February 2007). Sonic and the Secret Rings. Wii. Sega. Area/level: Skeleton Dome. "Solomon: Hold the White Ring up to the palace gates, and they will open."