Thanks for the help, fellas. I always appreciate a good jailbreak.
— Willy Walrus, "Dude, Where's My Eggman?"
Willy Walrus is an antagonist that appears in the Sonic Boom television series. He is an anthropomorphic walrus and a dangerous, yet small-minded criminal roaming Seaside Island. He is also a prominent member of the Lightning Bolt Society.
Willy is an anthropomorphic walrus little less than a head shorter than Dr. Eggman. He has pale lavender fur and is stockily built with broad shoulders, thick arms, and somewhat short and thick legs. Described as overweight, he has a round gut. He also has a large, pale peach muzzle with a black snout, purple eyes and two noticeably large and vertical tusks. For attire, he wears white gloves and light brown boots. His silhouette bears a striking resemblance to Dr. Eggman's.
In addition to his usual clothes, Willy has a few additonal attires:
- When attending the Lightning Bolt Society, Willy wears a purple robe with a long hood and a red fez emblazoned with the Lightning Bolt Society's symbol.
- When attending the Lightning Bowler Society, Willy wears a purple bowling shirt with a wide white stripe down the middle, and matching shoes.
During his life, Willy Walrus would be mistaken for the infamous Dr. Eggman all the time. Picking a career as a thief and crook, Willy would get caught often and spent much of his time locked up in jail. He eventually joined the Lightning Bolt Society and would help his group search Eggman's trash for noteworthy objects.
On a trip to the Village Center, Willy met Eggman and struck a pleasant conversation with him. Hearing Eggman was going to break into the helium warehouse, Willy offered his help. When they got in though, the police arrived and Willy got arrested. A day and a half later, Willy was broken out from jail by Orbot and Cubot, who mistook him for Eggman. Escaping the police with Orbot and Cubot, Willy thanked the duo before telling them about Eggman upon their inquiry.
When Willy and the Lightning Bolts heard that Tails destroyed an orchard, they assumed he was evil and sought to recruit him. Once they got him to join them in their clubhouse after helping him reseed an orchard, Willy made Tails their new leader. As Tails revealed he was not evil, Sonic, Amy and Eggman intruded, and Willy was commanded by Eggman to attack Sonic. However, his attempted failed utterly and the heroes escaped. Some time later, Willy and the Lightning Bolt Society heard from the Chameleon that Eggman had abandoned his lair, so they took over the lair. However, Willy could hardly figure out the lair's systems as he and his allies lounged about, causing many random attacks on Seaside Island. Seeing on surveillance that Team Sonic and Eggman planned to stop them, Willy and the Lightning Bolts prepared an ambush, but got outsmarted, making Willy flee the lair with his group.
Assembled with the Lightning Bolt Society, Willy heard from the Tree Spy that Sonic had retired and Team Sonic was out of town. Seizing this opportunity, Willy harassed the villagers alongside his lodge and soon send sheep on a stampede through town. However, they were thwarted once Sonic returned. With the villagers telling them to give up trying to be bad, Wily said an "insult" that got him and the Lightning Bolts sent to Amy's sensitivity seminar. Willy and the Lightning Bolts later tried pranking the villagers with coins glued to the ground, although Dave did not participate. Though Willy fell for the prank himself, he and the group got to see others fall for it too. Willy later came to the Robot Battle Royale, where he saw Eggman steal Tails' Hypnobot at the end.
Eventually, Willy joined the Lightning Bolt Society and other local villains at a meeting held by Eggman at his lair, who wanted them to form a team to beat Team Sonic. After some leadership disputes leading to team exercises, Willy helped encourage Eggman to lead the group so they could prove themselves after Shadow the Hedgehog had left the group criticizing them. As Team Eggman attacked Team Sonic, Willy separated Tails from his team by engaging him and his plane in an aerial battle with Moth Bot, until Willy crashed into a mountain.
Due to an increased crime rate, Willy was forced by law to take an exam to get a permit for committing evil. Passing the exam, Willy took his fellow accredited villains out for lunch, although the law was soon rendered null and void. Uniting with the Lightning Bolt Society, Willy prepared to help Dave get revenge at Meh Burger at its reopening for firing him by ruining the event, only to abandon the plan in favor of Meh Burger's party. There, he and the villagers got trapped in a force-field and sent towards space in Meh Burger by Eggman. Thanks to Team Sonic and Dave though, Willy was rescued, along with Meh Burger. A while afterward, Willy reunited with the Lightning Bolt Society when Hedgehog Village got overrun by malware-infected robots. During the chaos, he got acknowledged by Knuckles when the echidna inspired the villagers to help Team Sonic fight the robots, who ultimately withdrew.
Eventually, Willy and the Lightning Bolts decided to try bowling as a new vocation after failing for the eightieth time in a row to commit villainy, thanks to Team Sonic. Proving to be skilled bowlers, Willy and co. became stars after beating the Pin Dashers. Willy made public appearances afterward during the lead-up to the team's rematch with the Pin Dashers, but soon had an ego-fueled argument with his team that broke up them up. Becoming a home shopping host, Willy was convinced by Team Sonic to meet his old team with them. There, Willy and co. saw Team Sonic fight the Mega when Eggman came, and got inspired to reunite as evildoers after remembering their happier days as villains and friends. After inadvertently helping Team Sonic beat the Mega when trying to fight the team, Willy and co. got scared off by Sonic when they refused him his rematch. Willy soon after joined Professor Kingsford's Evil Science class to get a doctorate. There, he joined a study group with fellow-student Eggman. Over the next eighty-seven weeks, Willy witnessed Eggman face continuous failures and ruin Willy's point grade average. However, Willy failed the final exam by not cheating (unlike Eggman).
When Race Day arrived several months later, Willy would watch said event's auto race competition at its site. Some time afterward, he went to the Villain Retreat and had some rest and relaxation. Willy later tried ordering ice cream from the local vendor, only for the vendor's new employee, D-Fekt, to mess up his order.
Willy is a loud, stocky, and dangerous fellow with an evil laugh. However, he is not very competent as a villain and is very much a dolt, even falling prey to his own pranks only moments after setting it up. Though evil, he generally treats others well and is a honeydripper who can easily keep up civilized conversations. He also has a softer side, as he cherishes the friendships he has made with his fellow crooks.
While too incompetent to perform exceeding acts of violence, Willy revels in destruction and anarchy, and openly enjoys committing crime simply for the sake of it, like when he joined Eggman's burglary on a whim. He similarly likes talking about his skills as a burglar and enjoys a good jailbreak. While Willy recognizes that he is not a great villain (in spite of his boasts), he is nonetheless at peace with it and accepts his own incompetence.
Powers and abilities
According to himself, Willy's specialty lies in breaking and entering. However, he has admitted that he is not so good at exiting, such as breaking out of jails. Under Eggman's tutorlege, Willy has acquired a degree of piloting skills, enough to go head-to-head with Tails and his plane in an aerial battle using Moth Bot.
Lightning Bolts Society
The members of the Lightning Bolt Society are Willy's partners in villainy. He is often a driving force in the group, yet always remains an equal to all the members, and always teams up with them when he has an evil plan on mind. Above all else though, the Lightning Bolts are Willy's closest friends and most valued comrades. In fact, despite suffering one defeat after another with the Lightning Bolts in their villainous efforts, Willy feels happy just hanging out with them and treasures what they have together. Most noticeably, Willy chose to give up fame, respect and endorsement deals and return to the life of a two-bit crook so he could stay friends with the Lightning Bolts.
- Team Sonic
- Dr. Eggman
- "Whoah. Who's this handsome fella?"
- —Willy when meeting Dr. Eggman, "Dude, Where's My Eggman?"
- "Breaking and entering is my specialty, but I'm not so good at exiting."
- —Willy Walrus, "Dude, Where's My Eggman?"
- Willy Walrus bears a resemblance to Rotor the Walrus. However, it is stated by Bill Freiberger that the developers of Sonic Boom do not draw inspiration from characters outside the mainstream Sonic continuity, so this resemblance is purely coincidental.
- The character's name may be a nod of the Walter Lantz character, Wally Walrus.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Saisselin, Peter (10 June 2017). "Lightning Bowler Society". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 83. Boomerang.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (24 January 2015). "Dude, Where's My Eggman?". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 10. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Milano, Dan (7 March 2015). "How to Succeed in Evil Without Really Trying". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 16. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (14 November 2015). "It Takes a Village to Defeat a Hedgehog". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 52. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Harrison, Reed (16 May 2015). "Eggman Unplugged". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 26. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg (22 July 2015). "Just a Guy". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 34. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Harrison, Reid (1 August 2015). "Next Top Villain". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 37. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Van Liemt, Romain; Grenier, Benoit (26 September 2015). "Robot Battle Royale". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 45. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Grenier, Benoit (21 January 2017). "The Evil Dr. Orbot". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 63. Boomerang.
- ↑ Baraou, Anne (18 March 2017). "Robot Employees". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 71. Boomerang.
- ↑ Denton, Alan; Hahn, Greg; Freiberger, Bill (20 May 2017). "Robots From The Sky Part 3". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 80. Boomerang.
- ↑ Freiberger, Sam (8 July 2017). "Mister Eggman". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 87. Boomerang.
- ↑ James, Jake (26 August 2017). "If You Build It They Will Race". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 94. Boomerang.
- ↑ Grenier, Benoit (14 October 2017). "You and I Bee-come One". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 99. Boomerang.
- ↑ Pontac, Ken; Graff, Warren (4 November 2017). "Return to Beyond the Valley of the Cubots". Sonic Boom. Season 2. Episode 102. Boomerang.