Westopolis is a large city that is left in ruins from the attacks of the Black Arms, with its roads piled with debris, ignited cars, traffic cones and barricade fences while skyscrapers are left in various conditions; some knocked down while others remain intact. Throughout various points, laser bombardments constantly rain down on the city.
After Black Doom appearing before him as the Black Arms invade Westopolis, Shadow the Hedgehog rushes into the city in his search for the Chaos Emeralds. He quickly runs into Sonic the Hedgehog, who asks him to help fight the Black Arms throughout the city, before grabbing the first Chaos Emerald in the midst of the stage. Doom's Eye appears to him not long after, demanding that Shadow instead kill the G.U.N. soldiers defending the city. The neutral path involves going straight to the Chaos Emerald located at the end of the stage.
Regardless of which mission the player completes, Westopolis would be reported to the United Federation as having the heaviest casualties due to having a weakened defense system whereas Downtown Westopolis was almost completely destroyed. In addition, the Black Arms' attack on Westopolis and the carnage that occurred ultimately had Dr. Eggman deciding to deploy the Egg Fleet to drive out the Black Arms, mostly due to pragmatism since he cannot capture Westopolis for his Eggman Empire if it is obliterated.
As the first stage in Shadow the Hedgehog, the player is taught the basics of the game as they move through the stage such as actions Shadow can perform, and the instructions on how to complete each stage which usually involve defeating enemies or destroying certain objects. In addition to the enemies, other obstacles are the laser bombardments that strike throughout the stage, though they usually destroy barricaded paths for the player to proceed through the stage as well as red fruits.
The following weapons can be found in Westopolis:
- There is a hidden area to the right, just before the Jump Panel that leads to the second Save Point. The player must jump over the pit to reach the platform on the other end with the key.
- A pulley can be found shortly after the second Save Point, which must be used to reach the second key.
- Just before the third Save Point, two Gun Beetles can be seen hovering by a platform. The player must quickly Homing Attack the enemies before they are destroyed to reach the platform with the third key.
- There is a gate directly to the left of the third Save Point. The player must Slide or Spin Dash under it and break the container in the back to get the 4th key.
- After the Goal Ring are a set of Jump Panels that lead to another skydiving section; the final key can be seen on the right side.
|Annihilate the GUN forces!||Defeat all 35 GUN enemies in Westopolis.||
|≥ 30,000 points|
|< 5000 points|
Leads to: Digital Circuit
|Find the Chaos Emerald!||To complete the Normal Mission, all that is required of the player is that to reach the Goal Ring with the Chaos Emerald in it. Missions like these did not require the player to finish of any of the Black Arms or GUN Soldiers, but sometimes defeating them will make it easier for the player to get through the Stage faster.|
|≥ 32,000 points|
|< 10,000 points|
Leads to: Glyphic Canyon
|Drive off the black creatures!||Defeat all 45 Black Arms in Westopolis.||
|≥ 30,000 points|
|< 5000 points|
Leads to: Lethal Highway
As with most of the stages in Expert Mode, the player is simply required to reach the Goal Ring. However, the Expert Mode version of Westopolis has minor adjustments such as the section before reaching the third Save Point, whereas the player simply used a Jump Panel in the Story Mode's version to reach the third Save Point, they must now use Shadow's Wall Jump to jump between two skyscrapers to reach a platform and then the Light Dash to complete the rest of the way. In addition, the Goal Ring is now located near the final Save Point, which is at the road strips located after the second sky diving section where the player would defeat the final group of enemies to complete the Dark or Hero mission of the Main Story's version of Westopolis.
In other media
Westopolis is mentioned in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. In this media, it is a Human/Overlander settlement in Eurish and a city-state of the United Federation. In the post-Super Genesis Wave continuity, Westopolis is a city found in Northamer.
- To 100% complete the game, the player will have to play this stage a total of 326 times.
- If the player hits the hint bubble explaining how to switch guns with Sonic the Hedgehog as a partner, he will comment on the guns afterwards saying "Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead using those things."
- At the start of level during the skydiving section, Shadow will say "Hmm.. 'The promised time' huh? Well then, time to go fulfill this promise." There is no mention of a "promised time" before this. Instead Black Doom said "Bring the Chaos Emeralds to me "as promised."
- This is the first game in the series to feature sky diving done at the beginning of the stage and at the very end (past the Goal Ring in Story Mode and before it in Expert Mode).
- The Stage has 36 GUN Soldiers instead of just 35.
- Controlling Sonic with a second controller in this stage reveal he has the most interactions with stage objects than other hero characters.. He can activate switches, put out fires, open locked key doors, and has a scripted sky diving animation which can be done at the end of the level.
- Sonic has Shadow's braking sound effect whenever the player stops running.
- Sonic's line in a Hint Ring where he suggests to Shadow that they use the Homing Attack on GUN Beetles to cross a gap was originally supposed to have Sonic use the word "piss" (i.e., "Hate to piss off GUN..."), but it was changed to "tick" in the final version.
- If a laser fires during the Doom's Eye intro scene, the crates underneath said laser will remain intact.
- It is possible to avoid collecting the first Chaos Emerald using a well-timed Spin Dash. Skipping this Emerald will have no effect on overall gameplay however.
- If the player meets Doom's Eye, touches the second Save Point, dies, then teleports to the first Save Point (with Doom's Eye as his active partner), Doom's Eye will actually comment twice about the Chaos Emerald; once for getting close enough, and the other line upon its acquisition.
- The stage's music was remixed for the Enemy Territory stage in the Sonic Forces DLC, Episode Shadow.
- Westopolis was one of the first several stages featured in the E3 2005 Demo. Although, unlike the final version, the level had a different level layout and was shorter than the final version as the Goal Ring was stationed where the third checkpoint is.
- The Chaos Emerald at the end is also White instead of Blue.
- Shadow the Hedgehog Prima official guide