The Variable Wispon is an object that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by IDW Publishing. It is a unique Wispon capable of changing its powers and it is the main weapon of Whisper the Wolf.
Concept and creation
When learning of the Variable Wispon, Evan Stanley knew that it primarily served as a rifle, so she made that the Variable Wispon's core shape. Next, she built parts of the in-game Wispons into it, using their shapes to complete the "sniper rifle" silhouette. Lastly, Stanley used the motif of a Wisp Capsule to provide a visual focus and a easy place for Whisper's team of Wisps to swap out in plain view.
Noticeably, the Variable Wispon does not transform so much as Whisper just holds it differently; Stanley just visualized how she would hold a hammer or umbrella, and so made sure Whisper would have places mimicing those tools' grips to put her hands.
The Variable Wispon is a uniquely-designed Wispon. Instead of being designed after the anatomy of a Wisp, it is instead umbrella-shaped. The bottom of it is hooked to allow users to grip it properly. Along the light gray neck of the weapon are two rounded white, black, and light blue studs. Very noticeably near the end of the Wispon is a large rounded light blue, black, and white piece which has an open segment. The mouth piece is quite long and gray in color, with a light blue end.
Features and traits
The Variable Wispon is a very unique type of Wispon in more ways than one. Unlike standard Wispons, which are designed for clearing out crowds of robots, the Variable Wispon is designed for precision shots which cause less widespread damage, but more intense impacts. In addition, instead of being restricted to using just one specific breed of Wisp to power it, it can use the power of multiple Wisp breed. However, it can only house one Wisp breed at a time. Depending on the Wisp powering it, the Variable Wispon can assume a specific weapon mode with its own unique power:
- Laser Mode: This mode requires a Cyan Wisp. In this mode, the Variable Wispon glows cyan. This mode lets it fire laser beams that can shoot straight through lesser Badnik armor, although it cannot penetrate reinforced metals. This mode's laser is as well capable of zig-zagging through midair. It is worth mentioning that Laser Mode is also the Variable Wispon's natural/default mode when not in use.
- Cube Mode: This mode requires a Blue Wisp. In this mode, the Variable Wispon glows blue, its gun barrel retracts, and it forms energy constructs in the shape of a hammer's head. This mode turns the Variable Wispon into a makeshift hammer and a powerful melee weapon.
- Hover Mode: This mode requires a Green Wisp. In this mode, the Variable Wispon glows green and forms a energy-based hemisphere that sprouts from its gun barrel. In this mode, the Variable Wispon resembles an umbrella and is capable of carrying its wielder through midair.
- Rocket Mode: This mode requires an Orange Wisp. In this mode, the Variable Wispon glows orange and its gun barrel splits apart. This mode makes the Variable Wispon resemble a bazooka, which is capable of firing explosive energy rockets.
- Spikes Mode: This mode requires a Pink Wisp. In this mode, the Variable Wispon glows pink. This mode lets the Variable Wispon shoot solid pink energy balls with spikes covering them. These spiked balls can also be held in midair, thus turning them into spinning sawblades.
Besides its weapon functions, the Variable Wispon also comes with its own safety lock. The eye of Whisper's mask scope also changes color depending on the Wisp power the Variable Wispon uses.
During the Eggman Empire-Resistance war, Whisper used the Variable Wispon to attack enemies from great distances. This allowed her to remain unseen in battle. After the war was over, Whisper would continue to wield the Variable Wispon as her weapon of choice under various circumstances.
When Whisper, Sonic and Silver fought some Badniks, Whisper dropped her Variable Wispon when she got pinned down. Fortunately, her allies kept her safe until she could get her Wispon back. When later joining the Resistance and their allies on a mission to liberate Angel Island from Neo Metal Sonic, Whisper would tinker with her Variable Wispon on the way there. Afterwards, she put it to good use when her team began their mission to break the Egg Fleet's control over Angel Island. Whisper later used her Variable Wispon's Rocket Mode to help launch herself and Tangle up to the Babylon Rogues' blimp after the thieves kidnapped Jewel and stole her minerals. Then, after getting Jewel and the stolen goods back, Whisper used her Variable Wispon's Hover Mode to get herself, Jewel and Tangle safely down from the blimp.
- ↑ Evan Stanley on Twitter. Twitter (20 July 2018). Retrieved on 20 July 2018. “Tim Paraxade: That a Wispon she's holding? / Evan Stanley: Yeah it's her unique weapon, the Variable Wispon.”
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #12, "Sonic Letter Squad"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Sonic the Hedgehog #8, "Silent Support"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Concept artwork for the Variable Wispon.
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #9, "The Battle for Angel Island Part 1"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #10, "The Battle for Angel Island Part 2"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #11, "The Battle for Angel Island Part 3"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog: Annual 2019, "Bonds of Friendship"