An upcoming game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series is set to be released in 2022 in celebration of the franchise's 30th anniversary. The game will be developed by Sonic Team and published by Sega. It will be available for the PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X and Series S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC.
In an interview with Game Informer, Takashi Iizuka said that after the release of Sonic Forces, Sonic Team in Japan was trying many different approaches with the goal of creating a next-gen Sonic experience. The team had been thinking about what modern Sonic gameplay should be like. Since Sonic Team would not deny high-speed action elements of games like Sonic Generations and Sonic Forces, they opted to make a game for both current fans and new gamers to enjoy. Iizuka also stated that the game will probably define the direction to be taken for the next decade. In an interview with "Sonic Stadium", Iizuka was asked if the game can be considered an anniversary title, but stated he would not call it one due to its release being planned for 2022. He makes a comparison to the way Sonic Adventure influenced subsequent 3D games, hoping that the 2022 game would have a similar effect.
The symbols associated with the announcement of the game were designed to not have a meaning that can be understood by common reasoning.
The game was announced during the Sonic Central video presentation on 27 May 2021 that showcased news regarding the series' 30th Anniversary celebration. Among these announcements were also the teaser trailer for this game. According to Takashi Iizuka, the announcement for the game was premature, but was released nonetheless out of worry for the fans, who had not been given a proper announcement of a new mainline Sonic title since Sonic Forces.
- In the teaser trailer there is metadata referencing files used in production of the video, including multiple mentions of "Sonic Rangers", suggesting this is the working title or a code name.
- The game's teaser was briefly foreshadowed in the trailer "Unstoppable", celebrating the franchise's 30th anniversary.
- Sonic Central - 5/27/21. YouTube. Sonic the Hedgehog (27 May 2021). Retrieved on 27 May 2021.
- Shea, Brian (13 June 2021). Sonic Team Head Talks Sonic Origins, Next Mainline Game, And 30th Anniversary. GameInformer. Archived from the original on 14 June 2021. Retrieved on 13 June 2021.
- Exclusive: Takashi Iizuka Hopes 2022 Sonic Game Will Lay Foundation For Future Titles. Sonic Stadium (21 June 2021). Archived from the original on 22 June 2021. Retrieved on 21 June 2021.
- 稲元徹也 (22 July 2021). ソニック30周年記念，飯塚 隆プロデューサーにインタビュー。“Sonic Everywhere”――常にソニックが存在する未来を目指して (Japanese). 4Gamer. Archived from the original on 22 July 2021. Retrieved on 23 July 2021.
- Skrebels, Joe (27 May 2021). Sonic Central Stream: Everything Announced, Including a Brand New Sonic Game. IGN. Archived from the original on 27 May 2021. Retrieved on 27 May 2021.
- Skrebels, Joe (28 May 2021). The New Sonic Game May Be Called Sonic Rangers. IGN. Archived from the original on 31 May 2021. Retrieved on 28 May 2021.
- Yin-Poole, Wesley (28 May 2021). Sega mentions Sonic Rangers in its own press release. Eurogamer. Retrieved on 29 May 2021.