Uma Arachnis is a character that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. She was a spider ninja who served Ixis Naugus, in an attempt to protect the Source of All.
Uma Arachnis was originally the most promising student of the Bride of the Endless Reach, to the point where she was even rumored to be her successor. Being very skilled in reading the Web of Fate, Uma foresaw the dire fate of the Source of All, and decided to dedicate her life to preventing it from being misused by evil. However, the exact details of her journey are shrouded in mystery. At some point, Uma somehow entered the Zone of silence, and met Ixis Naugus, whom she was forced to serve.
Service to Naugus
Uma, along with Kodos, joined Naugus in escaping the Zone of Silence, and were soon met with resistance from Sonic and Geoffrey St. John. In an attempt to empower them, Naugus Crystalized them, but were soon were left frozen in their new state when Naugus' magic wand was destroyed. Abandoned by their master, they were taken to Devil's Gulag for incarceration.
Death and legacy
Uma's legacy lives on in the form of her children, the Arachne Clan, a group of spider ninjas who also serve Ixis Naugus. The Arachne Clan were entrusted with the Sword of Acorns after it tried to possess Sally. They later used it to open a dimensional warp, freeing Naugus from his imprisonment and killing the Ancient Walkers. Due to Ixis' alliance with Mammoth Mogul, the Arachne Clan came to serve Mogul as well. Along with the Destructix and the two wizards, the members of the Arachne Clan were attacked by the Egg Fleet and imprisoned in the Egg Grape Chamber. As a result of Mogul and Naugus abandoning them to the life draining powers of the Egg Grapes, every member of the Arachne Clan died in the second chamber. As a result, they were not rescued by Dr. Finitevus, who liberated the Destructix to serve as his minions.
Powers and abilities
As a ninja, Uma Arachnis wields a number of traditional Japanese weapons. Among her arsenals are Sai, Nunchuks, Katana swords, Bo staffs, Shurikens, and bows and arrows. Like Kodos and King Acorn, Uma was originally imbued with the ability to transform into a crystalline version of her Mobian self to increase her abilities in battle as well as granting her protection from the Zone of Silence, but this skill was rendered useless not long after she returned to Mobius Prime.
- Uma Arachnis' origins were somewhat explained in prototype story ideas, in which a ninja order known as "the Strand" was introduced. Protectors of the Source of All, this group was the one from which Uma originated. Later, the Arachne Clan would be taken control of by the Sword of Acorns and join the group in their mother's place, causing the rest of the group to be corrupted as well.
- The Arachne Clan were killed off by the Egg Grape Chamber because the writer of the comics during that time, Ian Flynn, felt that the "spider ninja" villain angle had run its course and that it would be pointless to use it again.
- Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Uma Arachnis & the Arachne Clan"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #53, "Sounds Of Silence"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #95, "Enemy Mine"