Ultimate Gemerl (アルティメットジーメル Aruteimetto Jīmeru?) is a transformation that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is the Super State of Gemerl, achieved with the power of the seven Chaos Emeralds.
As Ultimate Gemerl, Gemerl undergoes a drastic change in appearance. His former humanoid body becomes a large black robotic disk exceeding a meter in diameter, with four extendable grey claw-like hands on his sides.
On his saucer-like body, Ultimate Gemerl has a yellow four-pointed star-shaped piece, which is split in half, attached, with a small blue orb in the center. In each of the corners of this yellow piece, Ultimate Gemerl has what appear to be blue eyes with red trims, giving him a total of four eyes on the surface of his body. In addition, Ultimate Gemerl has a so-called "mouth piece" on the side of his body which hides a red orb.
Sonic Advance 3
As Gemerl and Dr. Eggman escaped from their defeat at Altar Emerald, Gemerl began short-circuiting. Then, without warning, presumably due to his battle damage and Emerl's data, Gemerl struck Sonic, forcing the blue hedgehog to drop the seven Chaos Emeralds. Gemerl then harnessed the seven Chaos Emeralds to transform into Ultimate Gemerl. After his transformation, Ultimate Gemerl first act was to betray Dr. Eggman, by grapping the doctor in his Egg Mobile and throwing him at Sonic. Ultimate Gemerl then took off into space to cause more havoc elsewhere, but not before discarding the Chaos Emeralds.
After having made it into space, Ultimate Gemerl was pursued and challenged to a battle by Super Sonic and Dr. Eggman, the two adversaries having put aside their personal vendettas to stop the rogue robot. Ultimate Gemerl fought the unlikely duo, but defeated and reverted back to normal in a large explosion, before falling back down to Earth.
Powers and abilities
Due to being infused with the seven Chaos Emeralds' power, Ultimate Gemerl accordingly commands ultimate power and has access to unlimited energy. In his Super State, Gemerl's innate abilities are multiplied several times over. He is also capable of high-speed flight (although not as fast as Super Sonic) and is nearly invulnerable to harm, even from attacks launched by other Super State users. When in battle, Ultimate Gemerl can extend his claws and use them to attack. These robotic limbs are able to extend great lengths and possess enough strength to knock away even Super State users for a few seconds.
With his claws, Ultimate Gemerl can perform a multitude of powerful attacks: from each of his claws, he can fire small beams that can freeze even Super Sonic for a few movements and launch small missiles. Also, by joining two of his claws together, he can form a large energy beam.
Ultimate Gemerl's only weak spot is his red core orb which is still vulnerable to damage. This orb, however, is protected by Ultimate Gemerl's mouth piece which has to be forced open.
Ultimate Gemerl is the true final boss of Sonic Advance 3. He is fought in Nonaggression, which can only be accessed after the player beats Altar Emerald with Sonic as the leader after collecting all seven Chaos Emeralds.
In the fight against Ultimate Emerl, Sonic and Eggman must charge and use their Tag Action as their sole offense against Gemerl: by charging Eggman up, he can ram into Gemerl and if successful, opening up a red orb in the front of Gemerl. This allows Sonic to dash forwards with the Super Sonic Boost and ram into the orb to damage Gemerl. The longer the player charges the Tag Action, the longer Gemerl's "mouth" will stay open after being attacked for Sonic to hit. The maximum charge is signified by an orange aura and upon connecting with Gemerl's "mouth", it usually remains open long enough for Sonic to hit Gemerl twice.
Gemerl's attacks are capable of stunning Sonic and disrupting the Tag Action as it is being charged, though the former can be avoided by using Super Sonic's Super Sonic Boost. It should be noted that while charging up the Tag Action, Sonic is unable to use the Super Sonic Boost (but he can still move as normal) so the player must find safe opportunities to charge up the Tag Action (ie. between Gemerl's attacks). Gemerl's main source of attack are his arms, which can extend across the screen. The attacks Ultimate Gemerl can conduct are:
- Launches an arm out which then fires a fixed laser directly at Sonic's location, stunning him in place momentarily if it connects. After taking six hits, the arm spins 360 degrees anti-clockwise, firing the laser at different angles.
- Extending two arms and creating one large beam that will scroll either up or down. After this attack, he will then center himself and create a pinwheel effect by extending all four of his arms.
- Extending two arms to the other side of the screen and allow his "hands" to move across them, firing missiles in the middle to prevent the player from attacking him.
Gemerl is vulnerable at all times as long as the player can nail his "mouth" with Eggman and then dash attack the red orb that appears. After twelve hits, Gemerl will be defeated.
|Nonaggression||Hideaki Kobayashi, Fumie Kumatani, Tatsuyuki Maeda, Tomoya Ohtani, Masaru Setsumaru, Kenichi Tokoi, Hironobu Inagasaki, Atsuyoshi Isemura||3:21|
|Nonaggression -Pinch-||Hideaki Kobayashi, Fumie Kumatani, Tatsuyuki Maeda, Tomoya Ohtani, Masaru Setsumaru, Kenichi Tokoi, Hironobu Inagasaki, Atsuyoshi Isemura||0:24|
- Ultimate Gemerl is the first Super State in the Sonic the Hedgehog series not to have the prefix "Super" or "Perfect" in his name.
- Ultimate Gemerl is the second Eggman robot in the Sonic series to have a Super State, with the first being Super Mecha Sonic.
- The theme that plays during the battle with Ultimate Gemerl shares some similarities with the Phi battle theme from Sonic Battle.
- Flynn, Ian; Sega (8 December 2021). "Sonic Advance 3". Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia. Dark Horse Books. p. 146. ISBN 978-1506719276. "Ultimate Gemerl unleashes a variety of beam attacks to stun or drive back Super Sonic."
- (in Japanese) ソニックアドバンス3最強攻略ガイド. Shogakukan. July 2004. ISBN 978-4091061737.
- BioWare (September 26, 2008). Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Nintendo DS. Sega. "Codex: Each Emerald can float on its own power, but anyone who combines all seven of the Chaos Emeralds can command ultimate power."
- Sonic Team, Sonic Team USA (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. Area: Emerald Beach (Shadow's Episode). "Sonic the Hedgehog: I've heard that he who collects 7 "Chaos Emeralds" will be granted unlimited energy."