UT (short for Universal Translator) is a character that appears in the Sonic Boom series. It is a robot created by Miles "Tails" Prower with the ability to translate any language, including underlying opinions in speech.
UT is a diminutive robot, its actual body being only half as tall as Tails. It has an orange and gray cylinder-formed head with an grip on top, two dial indicators for eyes, a triangle-shaped area on the front resembling a nose and an instrument pad for mouth. On each side of its head it is a tall, thin parabola which has a red wire wrapping around it. It also has a small orange and gray cylinder-shaped body with a red button the front and a thick cable on its left side leading to its back. It has two black wheels for feet.
UT was created by Tails as his most brilliant invention. Tails gave a demonstration of UT's abilities to his team, but the team quickly developed an aversion to UT when it began translating the team's conversations into what they really meant, thereby revealing sensitive info that forced Tails to shut UT down. Tails thus took UT in hopes that things would go better the next day. During the following night however, UT was kidnapped by Orbot and Cubot and replaced with a duplicate made by Dr. Eggman which the doctor planned to use to turn Team Sonic's members against themselves. At Eggman's lair, Eggman took a liking to UT as it spoke out his own self-praising thoughts. To celebrate the capture of UT (and the discord he had sown in Team Sonic), he prepared to eat cake with UT. However, Tails soon after arrived and made Eggman release UT in exchange of him becoming his assistant. Tails then left a goodbye recording on UT and sent it home. As UT returned to Team Sonic, it showed Tails' recording and translated it into a call for help, as Tails planned all along. As the team went to the lair to save Tails, UT saved Tails from falling off a cliff. After freeing Tails, everyone had taken a liking to UT, except for Sticks, who, in a fit of paranoia, threw it into the ocean.
UT was later taken over by Tails' Hypnobot, which Eggman had stolen so he could form a new army with Tails' other inventions in Tails' Workshop. However, UT returned to Tails' side once Tails regained control of Hypnobot and made UT dance.
Though possessing an A.I., UT is completely emotionless and acts more like a drone than an individual, remaining completely impartial regardless of who is in possession of it. Regardless, it has shown loyalty towards Tails as it saved him from falling off a cliff.
Powers and abilities
UT is capable of translating any language it hears into that of their own, such as translating bird chirps into regular language. If what it hears does not need to be translated, UT can translate the underlying opinions and subtext in speeches into what they really mean, making it akin to a mind reader. It is also capable of recording audio and videos and display them as holographic videos.
- "The fact that you pre-chew my food is repulsive."
- —UT translating chirping birds.
- "Wait, this thing reads minds. Get it out of my head."
- —UT translating Sticks' "Wait, this thing reads minds? Get it out of my head!"
- "He's not the sharpest tool in the shed."
- —UT translating Sonic's "Don't be offended Sticks! Knuckles didn't mean to think that!"
- "Shut that thing up, before it tells Sonic that I loooooo..."
- —UT translating Amy's "Tails, I think it would be best if you shut that thing off. We don't want it to reveal anything too ... sensitive."
- "Let's turn off the monitors and focus on praising Dr. Eggman."
- —UT translating Eggman's "I'd think we've seen enough of this!"
- Although Roger Craig Smith is the English voice actor for UT, Mike Pollock voiced the character during the Sonic Boom Live Cast Reading of the episode. Pollock stated it was just done for convenience sake, so Smith would not have to read more than one section of script (as Pollock was not voicing Eggman during that segment).
- Roger Craig Smith on Twitter. Twitter (16 November 2014). Retrieved on 29 March 2015. "Samantha Smith: I was wondering did you voice the little robot (U.T) in episode 3 of Sonic Boom? / Roger Craig Smith: I did. Good ear, considering the voice was altered!"
- Polsky, Dave (15 November 2014). "Translate This". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 3. Cartoon Network.
- Van Liemt, Romain; Grenier, Benoit (26 September 2015). "Robot Battle Royale". Sonic Boom. Season 1. Episode 45. Cartoon Network.
- Mike Pollock on Twitter. Twitter (10 September 2021). Retrieved on 19 September 2021. "PrPro03: Hey, @itsamike I noticed in this early reading for a Sonic Boom episode that you voiced UT (the translator robot) instead of Roger. Were you originally supposed to be the voice for UT or did you just voice it so Roger wouldn’t have to voice 2 characters? / Mike Pollock: The latter."