- For its 8-bit equivalent, see Toxic Pools. For the location in the Archie Comics, see Toxic Caves (Archie).
Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
Explore the super polluted caverns of the Veg-O-Fortress, where Dr. Robotnik dumps industrial waste. A wrong move here could mean being smothered in green slime, or - worse yet - chomped by a Rexxon!
Bash into barrels of waste, Cluckbirds, and Magma Worms. Getting one of the Emeralds could be draining. A Robotnik-faced killer bug named Scorpius bosses this level. Go for his stinger first!
— Instruction booklet, Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
The Toxic Caves is the first level of Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball. As with other levels in the game, Sonic must bounce through the pinball-like level. Three Chaos Emeralds are needed to be found in this level to advance.
The Toxic Caves is a disgusting, slimy dungeon, filled to the brim (literally) with horrible green ooze which is all kinds of deadly. The level encompasses the half-submerged caves at the foot of Mount Mobius. In keeping with Robotnik's general ethos regarding environmentalism, the doctor is using the caves as a dumping ground for kilotons of radioactive slurry produced by the Fortress' cruel industry. Rusted sewer pipes snake through rocks dripping with fluorescent green pollution, and the waters below are patrolled by an immense Rexxon.
After falling out of the sky outside Mount Mobius, Sonic the Hedgehog was saved by his animal friends at the last moment and made his way into the Toxic Caves. There, he managed to get the area's three Chaos Emeralds, thereby distabilizing the volcanic activity in the area. Afterward, he defeated Scorpius before advancing to Lava Powerhouse.
The boss of the Toxic Caves is Scorpius, a giant scorpion-like robot with Dr. Robotnik's face. It sits at the top of the level, periodically spitting drops of green toxicity out of its stinger. To defeat him, the player has to simply leap into the gap between his body and its tail. Eventually, he will lose his tail, making him even more vulnerable.
In other media
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, the Toxic Caves was a part of the Veg-O-Fortress built by Dr. Ivo Robotnik. Sonic the Hedgehog passed through there while trying to attack the fortress.
- The Toxic Caves is the only level in Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball in which the very bottom is not the only place where lives can be lost, as the middle section of it is also dangerous for the green sludge below the flippers. However, this does not necessarily make the Toxic Caves the most dangerous level of the game.
- After collecting all three Emeralds in this opening zone, the barrels in the middle section start to move, so they will not save the player from draining the ball (Sonic) unless lucky enough for them to be in the right place at the right time. Magma Worms stop appearing at this point.
- A glitch in the Toxic Caves will sometimes allow Sonic to pass through the covers that block the way to the middle section until the slime is drained from the tank in the middle, although the central Emerald cannot be collected while the slime is still there.
- The music for the Toxic Caves appears as an unlockable music track in Sonic Generations.
- The music for the Toxic Caves is the only one that is heard throughout the entire game in Sega Smash Pack for the Game Boy Advance.
|Toxic Cave||Brian Coburn, Barry Blum, Howard Drossin||3:03|