The Tocky (トッキー Tokkī?), also known as Tookie, is a creature that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a race of turtle Animals native to West Side Island, and are close friends of Sonic the Hedgehog and his allies. The Tockies are known for having been targeted by Dr. Robotnik who seeks to use them as energy sources for his various Badniks and imprison them in Capsules for later use.
The general Tocky is a small turtle with peach-colored skin and a round green shield with a grooved orange belly section. Although recognized as animals, the Tockies show physical humanoid traits and are capable of standing on their hind legs. They have flippers for limbs (the hind flippers which resemble stubby feet when standing up), large round heads with two large black eyes each, and beak-shaped mouths.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
The Tockies first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit). In this game, the Tockies and their fellow Animals from West Side Island were kidnapped by Dr. Robotnik and used as power sources for his Badnik workers which Robotnik needed to finish the Death Egg. The Tockies can be found in Sky Chase Zone where they pop out of destroyed Badniks.
In Sonic Mania and its expansion Sonic Mania Plus, the Tockies reprise their roles from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 by being organic power sources for Dr. Eggman's Badniks again. The Tockies can be found in Titanic Monarch Zone, where they pop out of the Zone's destroyed Badniks.
In other media
- In Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Tocky has a walking animation, which cannot be seen in the game, since Sky Chase Zone does not have any kind of surface for them to walk on. However, Tockies are seen walking normally in the additional credits sequence for the 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 port for the Nintendo 3DS and their reappearance in Sonic Mania.
- Near the end of Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie, Robotnik launches rabbit and turtle missiles, where the turtle missile was unsuccessful and being described by doctor as another design failure. The turtle missile bears a heavy resemblance to Tocky.
- "ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ２" (in Japanese & English). SEGA TVゲーム原画ギャラリー. Graphic Sha. August 1994. p. 51. ISBN 978-4766107722.
- Sonic The Hedgehog 4. Sega. Archived from the original on 30 May 2013. Retrieved on 26 January 2015.
- [eShop JP 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Credits]. YouTube (21 July 2015). Retrieved on 19 September 2015.