The Times Stones are objects that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. They are seven artifacts hosted on Little Planet which allow their users to move through and manipulate time.
The Time Stones are seven hexagonal stones which colors are blue, green, cyan, orange, purple, yellow and red.
Each Time Stone possesses vast and powerful energies that can be harnessed by others. Possessing one Time Stone allows the user to move to almost any point in time at will using a technique known as Chronos Control. Collecting all seven is rumored to grant the power to reshape time itself. However, their power is so great that, if delved into their energies without preparation or with evil intention, the results could prove disastrous.
The Time Stones' origin and the majority of their history is unknown. They were hosted on Little Planet, where they, along with Little Planet, were a closely guarded secret of Albion and watched over by its stewards, the current being Rob 'o the Hedge, so threats to the Time Stones from invaders are low. The secrecy surrounding them were essential since their powers could be disastrous in the wrong hands.
There have also been rumors of other protectors of the Time Stones. Some say that a great and powerful owl spirit, Nicholas O'Tyme, decides who use them, while others say that an elite few known as the Knights of Kronos have guarded Little Planet and the Time Stones throughout time. The latter have been hinted at by a future Mammoth Mogul, who trained Silver the Hedgehog in preparation to become one.
Under unspecified circumstances, a future Mammoth Mogul and Silver got hold of the orange Time Stone, though Silver initially used a Super Warp Ring because he lacked confidence in using the Time Stones. However, Silver eventually got the skills and confidence to use its power.
Over the next period, Silver used the Time Stone for time travel a number of times. The first time was to aid the Future Freedom Fighters and then go back home. The second time was in an attempt to eliminate Rotor Walrus, who Silver believed would betray the Knothole Freedom Fighters and destroy his time. Later on, Mammoth Mogul used the Time Stone to teach Silver how to use it when they sensed through it that Prelate-V had arrived. Silver thus used the Time Stone to visit Dark Mobius, the home of the Prelate.
When Silver thought he had discovered the traitor to the Knothole Freedom Fighters, Mammoth Mogul used Silver's Time Stone to send Silver back to the past without it so that he would stay until he found the traitor instead of continuously traveling through time and unnecessarily changing the future multiple times.
- The backstory on the Time Stones appears to be based on both the objects in Sonic the Hedgehog CD and the objects in the episodes "Blast to the Past, Part 1" and Blast to the Past, Part 2 in the Sonic the Hedgehog animated series.
- Incidentally, the owl mask holding two of the Time Stones are similar to the one for the Time Stones in the Sonic the Hedgehog animated series.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Time Stones & Little Planet"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Sonic Universe #25, "Fractured Mirror Part One: Through the Looking Glass"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sonic Universe #8, "Mobius: 30 Years Later: The Freedom Fighters of the Future"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #216, "Future Tense Part Two"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Sonic the Hedgehog #215, "Future Tense Part One"
- ↑ Sonic Universe #28, "Fractured Mirror The Finale: Picking Up the Pieces"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #235, "Remember the Fallen"