- For other uses of the term, see Time Stone (disambiguation).
The seven Time Stones are colored red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and cyan. When used, they have the power to control time itself. It is also said they can cause an event of miracles to occur, like transforming a desert into a jungle, and a polluted lake into a beautiful lake by crossing through time.
The origin of the Time Stones has not been explicitly stated other than that they are found on Little Planet. The satellite itself appears in the earth's atmosphere for one month every year above Never Lake.
In Sonic the Hedgehog CD, Dr. Eggman attempts to collect the Time Stones in order to take over Little Planet and the rest of the world. Sonic the Hedgehog tries to stop his plans by finding them first.
In gameplay, Time Stones can be collected from seven different Special Stages. In order to enter a Special Stage, the player has to hold fifty or more Rings and jump into the Giant Ring at the end of a Zone. In a Special Stage, the player has to destroy all the UFOs to get a Time Stone.
Collecting all the Time Stones unlocks the good ending of the game. In addition, by getting all the Time Stones, anytime the player travels to the future in a Zone, they will always get the good future, meaning they can enjoy a beautiful landscape and not face any Badniks. If the player does not have all the Time Stones, they must travel to the past version of each Round's Zones 1 and 2, and destroy the robot transporters there. Should the player opt to do this, it is possible to obtain the good ending without collecting a single Time Stone.
In the good ending of the game, Sonic finally defeats Eggman in Metallic Madness and frees Little Planet from Eggman's control as it leaves earth with the Time Stones. However in the bad ending, Eggman nabbed one of the Time Stones as he escapes from Little Planet.
In other media
Sonic the Comic
In the Sonic the Comic series published by Fleetway Editions, there are only six Time Stones rather than seven (at the time, the series also included only six Chaos Emeralds). Their appearance was also somewhat inconsistent as they were both presented as gemstones and regular-looking oval rocks.
Hidden on the Miracle Planet, Dr. Robotnik eventually found a Time Stone and used it to cyberform all of Miracle Planet. As a part of a bizarre time paradox however, Sonic was able to use a Time Stone to undo Robotnik's work by changing history.
Sonic the Hedgehog (TV series)
In the Sonic the Hedgehog animated series, there were two Time Stones. They were found on the Floating Island, safeguarded by several forces. Sonic and Princess Sally tried using them to go back in time and prevent Robotnik's takeover of Mobotropolis, but the plan failed.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs, the Time Stones and their background borrow elements from both the games and the Sonic the Hedgehog animated series. In this media, the Time Stones are hosted on the Little Planet, where they are rumored to be protected by Nicholas O'Tyme or the Knights of Kronos. One of them is used by Silver the Hedgehog and Mammoth Mogul to travel through time.
After the Super Genesis Wave, the Time Stones became nearly identical to their game counterpart.
- Time Stones in Sonic the Hedgehog CD have varying appearances through the game. In Special Stages and the ending cinematic, they appear to be milled amethysts with six sides but in the result screen after completing a Special Stage, they are seen having eight sides to look similar to the Chaos Emeralds from earlier 16-bit installments.
- Time Stones' similarity to the Chaos Emeralds is striking, in appearance as well as their ability to manipulate time and space. The only major change being that Time Stones are shown to be much larger, as Sonic grabs them after completing a Special Stage.
- However there seems to be an inconsistency regarding its size, as its shown that Robotnik is holding single Time Stone in the ending cinematic, which is small enough to hold it in his hand.
- The major difference between the Time Stones and Chaos Emeralds is that the Time Stones only seem to be able to warp through time on Little Planet itself.