Tikal's Prayer (ティカルの祈り Tikaru no inori?) is a reoccurring quotation in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is an ancient chant passed down through the Knuckles Clan which is used when tapping into the power of the Master Emerald. As indicated by its name, the prayer was most famously used by Tikal.
Tikal's Prayer is a mantra which has been used exclusively by the echidnas of the Knuckles Clan. It is often used by the clan to draw out the full potential of the Master Emerald's power. The prayer has a couple of variations, although the traditional version is as following:
Tikal's Prayer describes the relationship between the Chaos Emeralds, the Master Emerald and their users. "The servers are the 7 Chaos" refers to the seven Chaos Emeralds; "Chaos is power... Power enriched by the heart" refers to the Emeralds' energy and their ability to turn people's thoughts into power; and "The controller is the one that unifies the Chaos" refers to the Master Emerald and its ability to control the Chaos Emeralds.
Tikal's Prayer has been passed down through the Knuckles Clan for generations, but its origins are unknown. 3,000 years ago, Tikal's grandmother, the chief of the Knuckles Clan, taught the prayer to Tikal, who would ponder on its meaning. It was first when she entered the Altar of Emerald that she understood its true purpose.
When Chaos went on a rampage, Tikal used a slightly different version of the prayer to contain Chaos and herself within the Master Emerald:
Sonic Adventure 2
In Sonic Adventure 2, Knuckles used a slight variation of Tikal's Prayer in order to call upon the Master Emerald to nullify the power of the Chaos Emeralds and prevent the Space Colony ARK from crashing into the earth:
In other media
In the Sonic X anime series, Tikal's Prayer was never given any background information, but was otherwise used as its game counterpart during the anime's adaptation of Sonic Adventure. Knuckles would later use it on a number of occasions.
Books and comics
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Tikal's Prayer was originally an ancient incantation used by Tikal to nullify Chaos' power, but was later adapted for other uses.
After the events of Worlds Collide, Tikal's Prayer is now virtually identical to its game counterpart.
- A small reference is made to the prayer in the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 film, with Dr. Robotnik uttering the words "Chaos... Is... Power!" as he taps into the Master Emerald's power.
- Sonic Channel (Japanese). Characters: Chaos. Sega. Archived from the original on 26 May 2019. Retrieved on 3 July 2015.
- Sonic Team (19 October 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Big's version). "Tikal: So these are the 7 Emeralds... ?! Could it be? The servers are... the 7 Chaos Emeralds... Unified by one that is the controller... The 7 Chaos... The controller itself... Could this be the Emerald that controls the 7 Chaos?"
- Sonic Team (19 October 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Big's version). "Tikal: The 7 Emeralds are the servers. Chaos is power, enriched by the heart. The controller serves to unify the chaos. Uhh... The 7 Emeralds can change our thoughts into power. If this Emerald controls that power... Please, you must stop him!"
- Sonic Team (19 October 1999). Sonic Adventure. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Ruins (Tails' version). "Tikal: Huh? It's something my grandmother taught me. I never to forget it. It goes like this... "The servers are the 7 Chaos. Chaos is power... Power enriched by the heart. The controller is the one that unifies the Chaos." But I'm still not sure what it all means. But the number 7...is the same as the number of Emeralds there are."