Sonic & Knuckles
The Doomsday Zone is the eighth and final Zone of Sonic & Knuckles (and the fourteenth and final Zone of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles). Under normal circumstances, this Zone is only playable as Sonic, but it is playable with Tails or Knuckles from Level Select/Sound Test if Debug Mode is enabled. Sonic must have all seven of the Chaos Emeralds to play the Zone as Super Sonic, and can also play as Hyper Sonic (Sonic 3 & Knuckles only) if all of the Super Emeralds were obtained.
The Death Egg has once again crumbled from the loss of its main mech, but the Master Emerald is still in space. Now, as only Sonic and Dr. Robotnik remain, Sonic must summon the power of the Chaos Emeralds to chase Robotnik in a race against time. Sonic has 50 Rings at the beginning and instantly transforms into Super Sonic or Hyper Sonic (the latter's case is if all the Super Emeralds are acquired). Since Sonic is in Super (or Hyper) Form, his rings are steadily depleted and he must keep picking up rings to help maintain is super form during the fight. He must also keep dodging asteroids, which slow him down if hit, and missiles which render him unable to move or grab Rings for a second. Although only a few hits are unlikely to jeopardize the player's chance of success, even a slight lack of concentration can cause Sonic to sustain many hits and push him dangerously far behind. The , , or buttons will make Sonic fly faster in any direction. If Sonic's rings are completely depleted, he will lose his Super form, fall, and immediately die.
There is a section of the first part of this level that has Sonic dodging missiles in a slalom sort of fashion, and Sonic must stay between pairs of missiles as they move up and down. Rings usually show up in groups of 3 or 6, buying Sonic that many seconds if all are collected, although there are patches of 8 or 12 at the top and the bottom of the level.
The ship is heavily armored enough that Sonic can't directly damage it. It has a launcher on the bottom which fires homing rockets at Sonic, and has a trio of cannons on its side which fire shots at Sonic. Neither of these will cause Sonic harm, but will knock him back, hindering his efforts to destroy the ship. To defeat the ship, Sonic must make the homing missiles hit its head and avoid the ammunition it shoots. This must be done quickly, as rings cannot be collected during this part of the fight. Once the ship has sustained eight hits of damage, it will fall and explode off-screen, initiating the final phase of the boss.
A giant robot with a jet-pack emerges out of the blue outer shell, clearly carrying the Master Emerald. It resembles the Death Egg Robot in design (possibly rebuilt after its previous destruction), but with a more streamlined appearance and features similar to those of an EggRobo. It releases bombs if approached from above, and small spiny mines if approached from below. Sonic must catch up to it and touch it eight times to destroy it and recover the Master Emerald. This task should be done quickly, as Sonic may have trouble regaining rings faster than he loses them.
What is interesting to note is that, within Hidden Palace Zone (three Zones previously), a mural in the background during the battle between Sonic (and/or Tails) and Knuckles depicts an abstract version of this battle.
- This level marks the first time in a recurring succession of Sonic games that the final level uses a Super form setting in a race against time and depleting Rings, only accessible through obtaining all the Emeralds.
- The music for this Zone is also used in Knuckles' version of the Sky Sanctuary Zone during the final battle against Mecha Sonic's Super State.
- A remix of the music that plays in this Zone was originally supposed to be in the Nintendo 3DS version of Sonic Generations for the boss fight against Big Arm, but it was later replaced by a remix of the final boss theme of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles.
- In most versions of the game, the music will accelerate in tempo when Sonic runs dangerously short of rings (10 Rings or below), increasing tension in the player and urgency to keep collecting Rings. This is similar to the Special Stages after some time has passed. This is missing in Sonic Jam.
- After Knuckles finishes this Zone in debug mode, he is seen blue on the Tornado and the original red one will be watching him at the end. He is also seen with two Master Emeralds, one in his hand and one on the back of the tornado.
- The final form of the boss appears in Sonic and the Black Knight in winning fanart.
- A variant of the boss appears as the final boss of Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure in the Chaotic Space Zone.
- The music for this Zone was remixed as the music that plays during the battle against Mecha Sonic at Aerobase Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure.
- There is technically an unused "Act 2" for this Zone, but it can only be entered through a glitch or hacking. The Act is just a black screen with Sonic turning into Super/Hyper Sonic, but immediately falling to his death to having 0 rings.
- If the player accesses this Zone using Level Select and completes it they will get the bad ending.
|The Doomsday Zone||Tatsuyuki Maeda, Tomonori Sawada, Sachio Ogawa, Masayuki Nagao, Masanori Hikichi||2:01|
|The Doomsday (FM Synthesizer)||1:54|
|The Doomsday (General MIDI)||1:51|