"The Adventures of Knuckles and Hawk" is the seventeenth episode of the anime series, Sonic X. It first aired on 27 July 2003 and 24 January 2004 in Japan and the United States respectively.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Mentioned)
- Miles "Tails" Prower (Flashback; Japanese version only)
- Knuckles the Echidna
- Amy Rose (Flashback; Japanese version only)
- Rouge the Bat
- Big the Cat (Flashback; Japanese version only)
- Froggy (Flashback; Japanese version only)
- Tikal (Voice only)
- Hawk (First appearance)
- Bruiser Boys (Only appearance)
- Li Yan (First appearance)
- Doctor Eggman
- E-91 Lady Ninja (Only appearance)
- "Gotta Go Fast" - Opening theme (USA and CAN)
- "Sonic X" - Opening theme (AUS, NZ and UK)
- "Gotta Go Fast" (shortened) - Closing theme
Knuckles retells the story of his adventures that are seen in the episode which first took place a couple of months ago. He first discovers some ancient ruins and enters in to investigate until he hears a voice of someone begging for help. Knuckles smashes his way through the ruins and rescues a trapped human named Hawk and together, they both escaped from the ruins. Knuckles soon discovers two weeks later that Hawk has retrieved a treasure from those ruins that both they are both looking for: a red Chaos Emerald.
Curious as ever, Knuckles decides to pay a visit to his new friend who lives in Oriental City. He first stops at a bar, bringing a lot of attention by the customers in there, including Decoe and Bocoe who are both disguised. Knuckles questions the bar-server for the whereabouts of Hawk but he replies that he knows nothing about it. Some men, known as the "Bruiser Boys", in the bar then engaged a fight against Knuckles until Li Yan intervenes who says he will lead Knuckles to Hawk. Meanwhile, the disguised Decoe and Bocoe return back to the Egg Fort and explained everything to Dr. Eggman what they witnessed. The doctor then proceeds to carry out his plans by choosing a robot from his Selection Machine.
Meanwhile, Li Yan leads Knuckles into a building and tricks Knuckles by activating a trapdoor under Knuckles' feet, causing him to fall through a passage which led him into Hawk's prison cell. Hawk, as surprised as ever, told him that he did found a Chaos Emerald but fortunately managed to hide it before being imprisoned. Just before Hawk is about to say where he hid the emerald, Knuckles covers Hawk's mouth before he could finish his sentence, realizing that every sound they make is recorded since Knuckles is pointing to a speaker in the cell. The two quickly got into a casual conversation, with Hawk mainly discussing about the lifestyle experience in prison. Afterwards, Knuckles yelled at the speaker loudly causing Li Yan to pass out. The Bruiser Boys come to his aid and then quickly ran to the prison cell where Knuckles and Hawk are imprisoned only to realize that the duo escaped. Running away from the prison, Knuckles and Hawk rode on a rickshaw to travel towards another section of Oriental City.
Not realizing that Rouge the Bat is following them, the two travelers arrive at the old factory district of Oriental city and walked towards what seems to be an abandoned subway tunnel. While Rouge follows them, she suddenly gets struck by the rickshaw driver. Soon, Hawk is able to excavate the Chaos Emerald with his bare hands. However, Eggman intervenes and demands the Chaos Emerald. Knuckles proceeds to attack him but it appears to be a hologram which fizzled quickly on contact. The next thing that happens is that Hawk begs for help when the rickshaw driver launches a chain at Hawk's hand. From the sound of Eggman's voice, the rickshaw driver reveals herself as Eggman's new robot: E-91 Lady Ninja. Knuckles engages a fight with Lady Ninja only to cause the ground above to collapse into the subway tunnel.
Fortunately, Knuckles and Hawk escaped from the landslide alive but the Chaos Emerald remains buried beneath the rocks. Back at Hawk's home, Knuckles discovers two metallic claws which are his trademark "Shovel Claws". Returning back to the collision site with his newly equipped Shovel Claws, he burrows through the rocks and not long, he retrieves the Chaos Emerald but Hawk is then kidnapped. Bokkun flies by, sending a message from Dr. Eggman who demands the Chaos Emerald in exchange for Hawk.
Later that night, Knuckles climbs to the top of the building where Lady Ninja awaits him and Hawk is seen tied to the edge of a crane out in the open air. Knuckles throws the bag holding the Emerald into the air, but then a card is tossed to knock it away from Lady Ninja's hands; Rouge is seen to have thrown the card. As Rouge and Lady Ninja pursue after the Emerald, Knuckles uses the fight as an opportunity to rescue Hawk. As Lady Ninja demands it, Rouge grabs a weapon and shoots the robot but Lady Ninja throws a shuriken which cuts open the bag, leaving it to drop back down to the ground. Knuckles knocks away the Emerald before Lady Ninja but he crashes into a wall. Hawk grabs the Emerald and runs while the robot turns towards his direction and launches a chain towards him. Knuckles tosses a plate which deflected the chain right back at Lady Ninja, striking her down.
As Hawk continues to flee away from the scenery, he finds himself at a dead-end. Frozen with fear, the Emerald mysteriously disappears out of his hands and Lady Ninja steps out of the shadow, thanking him and proceeds to run until Knuckles stops the robot in her tracks. The two have a fight and Knuckles gets paralyzed with Lady Ninja's static strings. Hawk however, splashes water on the robot, short-circuiting her and Knuckles delivers the final blow by launching an uppercut into the air. Knuckles shakes hands with Hawk and during the next day, Knuckles proceeds to leave Oriental City with the Chaos Emerald while Hawk tearfully bedes farewell, the echidna promises to return to the city someday. While holding onto his Chaos Emerald, Knuckles receives a vision of the Master Emerald's altar in Angel Island with a female voice saying "The servers are the seven Chaos...". The episode ends as Knuckles mutters to himself what the phrase means to him.
- The following scenes have been edited:
- In the Japanese version, the bartender's name is Fwan. However, it was changed to Jack in the English dub.
- In the scene where the "Thank You" card was thrown to knock the Chaos Emerald from E-91, the English dub shows that Rouge was the one throwing it while the Japanese version does not reveal the source of the card.
- In the English dub, the two second flashback of Amy and Tails watching the Chaos Control explosion from "Chaos Control Freaks" was cut.
- In the English dub, the four seconds flashback of the Chaos Control explosion enveloping Big the Cat from "Chaos Control Freaks" was cut.
- In the Japanese version, when discovering the speaker in the prison cell, Knuckles comments positively about the food in Oriental City, with Hawk mentioning about tons of food and that some of them are fatty. In the English dub, Knuckles talks about how cozy the prison cell is while Hawk talks about baked beans and how they were bad a few days ago.
- In the Japanese version, Eggman commented while introducing E-91 that in addition to being a driver, she was also a female guard and a sexy dancer sometimes. In the English dub, Eggman just states not to judge by appearances.
- In the English dub, some of the Chinese text are erased from the headline in the news report and replaced with "BUILDING COLLAPSE!".
- In the English dub, the label on the box that's next to Hawk when he is trapped in the alley is changed from white Chinese text into a "no fire" symbol in the English dub.
Title in other languages
|Japanese||ナックルズ！怒りの鉄拳||Knuckles! Fist of Fury|
|French||Les Griffes du Diable||Claws of the Devil|
|German||Knuckles und Hawk||Knuckles and Hawk|
|Italian||Le avventure di Knuckles e Hawk / Debito di riconoscenza||The adventures of Knuckles and Hawk / debt of gratitude|
|Spanish||¡Knuckles! El puño de hierro de la ira||Knuckles! The iron fist of anger|
|Polish||Przygody Knucklesa i Hawka||Adventures of Knuckles and Hawk|
|Russian||Наклз! Кулаки ярости||Knuckles! The fists of anger|
- This episode's title is a reference to the 1972 martial arts film Fist of Fury.
- Sonic and his friends do not appear in this episode, although Sonic was mentioned in this episode, plus Tails and Amy were seen in a flashback.
- When the episode first aired in the English version, in the ending where Knuckles stands in front of the Master Emerald shrine, a female voice is heard, "Seven Chaos Emeralds, the mystery will be revealed". With Knuckles repeating the words and wondering what it meant. When it aired the second time, the voice is slightly different and it says, "The servers are the seven chaos." It it unknown why this change was made.
- This might have been because 4Kids finally realized that the series is based on Sonic Adventure; "The servers are the seven Chaos" is a quote from that game.
- Despite the English version of animes normally censor firearms, Rouge is seen holding a gun in both the Japanese and English versions.