Terminal Velocity (ターミナルベロシティ Tāminaru Beroshiti?) is the final Area of Sonic Colors, Sonic Colors (Nintendo DS), and Sonic Colors: Ultimate. It is a large section of the gigantic structure that bridges between Dr. Eggman's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park to Sonic's world.
After Dr. Eggman accidentally created a black hole made of negative Hyper-go-on, Sonic and Tails tried to escape the amusement park by using the elevator. However, Eggman appears with the Nega-Wisp Armor, a mech powered by Hyper-go-on. Pushing Tails into the elevator so that he could reach their world safely, Sonic ran across Terminal Velocity to escape the black hole while fighting the Nega-Wisp Armor. Sonic saved the Wisps from Eggman and harnessed their power to perform a Final Color Blaster that defeated the doctor. After this, Sonic and Eggman were sucked into the black hole. However, the Wisps used their combined Hyper-go-on energy to neutralize the black hole and send Sonic back to the world while Eggman, Orbot and Cubot were left stranded into space.
Act 1 begins with Sonic racing down the huge space pathway as he is being chased by enemies, including Aero-Chasers, Moto Bugs and a Big Chaser. In the entirely of this Act, Sonic moves automatically while being able to Quick Step to avoid the enemies' attacks. The first section involves Sonic having to deal with the Aero-Chasers. While fairly straightforward, the path does have small ledges which can trip the player if not Hopped or jumped over and leave them vulnerable to the Aero-Chaser's attack.
The second section focuses on Sonic running alongside with pursuing Moto Bugs with the player viewing from a high perspective without any additional obstacles. Finally, the player must escape from a Big Chaser while also dealing with additional Moto Bugs towards the end. The Act does not have a Goal Ring; the screen instead just goes to white after successfully running away from the Big Chaser.
Act 2 serves as the final level of the Wii version of Sonic Colors which is just a straight shot down the rest of the crumbling space elevator pathway after Eggman is defeated. A black hole-like burst of energy appears and engulfs Eggman, while following right behind Sonic. The only obstacle in the Act is the stage crumbling underneath Sonic's feet, requiring him to either Quick Step or jump to avoid falling into these pits. The Act is otherwise very short and only takes about 28 seconds to finish. The score and time are not recorded for this Act.
The Nega-Wisp Armor serves as the final boss for the Wii version of Sonic Colors. Like the other acts, Sonic is always in a seemingly endless 3D road where he is able use Quick Step. Eggman harnesses several types of Wisps for his various attacks. After each attack, the Nega-Wisp Armor powers down, allowing the player to use a series of Homing Attacks to eventually reach the cockpit to damage the Nega-Wisp Armor. The player can also boost for an additional hit and some Rings. After taking a few blows, all Wisps will move alongside Sonic where eventually the Nega-Wisp Armor is no longer able to attack and is close to defeat. Sonic must use all the Wisps' abilities at once, called the Final Color Blaster, to finish off the Nega-Wisp Armor and end the boss fight.
In the DS version of the gamem the boss battle is separated into two parts. The first part involves Sonic running from the Nega-Wisp Armor from a bird's-eye view. Sonic has to constantly collect White Wisps in order to avoid getting hit by the Nega-Wisp Armor. He also has to watch out for walls, which hurt him as well. The second part is a battle on a platform between Sonic and the Nega-Wisp Armor, where he has to boost into various parts of the Nega-Wisp Armor indicated by a red arrow. Sonic has to do this for each of the five colored Wisps that Eggman uses to give extra powers to his Nega-Wisp Armor. After the player saves all five Wisps, the Nega-Wisp Armor fires a powerful beam at Sonic. The player will then use the power of the five Wisps in order to destroy the Nega-Wisp Armor, which frees the rest of the Wisps stuck in the mech.
- Terminal Velocity is the only Area where the boss comes before the second Act, let alone any Act.
- The term "terminal velocity" refers to the speed of a falling object when the drag force (friction) acting on the object exactly opposes the same magnitude of gravitational force on the object that acts on its motion. As such, the net (total force) acting on it is zero, which means that the object is not accelerating and hence the name, it will fall at a constant velocity.
- Terminal Velocity has no Goal Rings or Wisp Capsules besides White Wisps in Act 1.
- Act 2 is the shortest Act in Sonic Colors, only lasting 35 seconds.
- However, Asteroid Coaster Act 3 can be completed in about 5 seconds with Super Sonic mode on.
- Act 2 is also the only stage not to contain any Rings or enemies.
- Terminal Velocity is the only Area where all Acts (excluding the boss battle) fade to white.
- Terminal Velocity, among other Areas, is the shortest level, only having two Acts and a Boss in the Wii version and one on the Nintendo DS version.
- On the Terminal Velocity map there are white space-themed, Egg Spear-wielding armored Egg Pawns that are supposedly the themed Egg Pawns for this Area. However, the player never fights them in any of the Acts, but by using moonjump in Act 1 and backtracking, the player can use the Homing Attack on them.
- Although this level takes place on the space elevator anchoring Tropical Resort to Earth, the design of the elevator is noticeably different in gameplay than that of the cutscenes (most notably Sonic and Tails' flashback in the first cutscene of the game).
- While there are no PA announcements here (besides the level select PA announcement when the player selects it), in the cutscene after the Nega-Wisp Armor fight, a passing loudspeaker being sucked into the black hole says, ironically, "At Eggman's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park, you can feel comfortable knowing your safety is our number one priority." to which Eggman tells it to shut up before being sucked into the semi-black hole himself.
- This is the only Area in Sonic Colors which does not have 2.5D areas. This is also the only Area in which the Quick Step can be used permanently. Additionally, there are no Checkpoints or Red Star Rings in any Act.
|"Terminal Velocity - Act 1"||Kenichi Tokoi||4:27|
|"Terminal Velocity - Act 2 "||0:37|
|"Terminal Velocity - Act 1 (Remix)"||Jun Senoue||4:19|
|"Terminal Velocity - Act 2 (Remix)"||0:38|