When performing the Team Ultimate, the user, while riding a racing vehicle, surrounds themselves in a fiery golden aura that grants their vehicle a massive speed boost, thereby turning them into an unstoppable projectile that can plow through any obstacle and rival racer.
In gameplay, the Team Ultimate is a move that every character in the game can perform. When performing this move, the racer gains a radical speed boost that not only allows them to drive faster, but also send opposing racers skidding out of control by colliding with them. In addition, it makes the user invincible against attacks and collisions with breakable objects for as long as the Team Ultimate is in effect. Hitting enemy cars while using Team Ultimate extends its duration, and stuns enemies. Also, while each character on one's team can activate the Team Ultimate individually, if the whole team uses it at the same time, their Team Ultimates will last longer.
To perform the Team Ultimate, the player must press // while their Ultimate Meter, which can be charged by performing team actions, is full. Once the Team Ultimate is activated however, the Ultimate Meter starts to drain, and once it empties, the Team Ultimate will end.
List of songs used
While the Team Ultimate is active, the background music will change depending on the character. Each song is a sped up remix of a song closely associated with the character. For example, a remix of "Reach for the Stars (Super Sonic ver.)" will play during Sonic's Team Ultimate, while a remix of "Dreams of an Absolution" will play during Silver's.
|Character||Song used||Music track|
|Sonic||"Reach for the Stars (Super Sonic ver.)"|
|Tails||"Believe In Myself" (Sonic Adventure 2)|
|Knuckles||"Unknown from M.E." (Sonic Adventure)|
|Chao||"Chao Race: Beginners"|
|Big||"Lazy Days (Livin' in Paradise)"|
|Silver||"Dreams of an Absolution"|
|Shadow||"All Hail Shadow" (Sonic the Hedgehog (2006))|
|Rouge||"I'm A Spy ...for Security Hall"|
|Metal Sonic||"Battle with Metal Sonic [US ver. Remix]"|
|Zavok||"The Deadly Six Theme"|
- As shown in the E3 trailer, and Team Sonic Racing Overdrive, Team Ultimate is activated by pressing a special button that bears a capital "R" in the middle.
- Amy's Team Ultimate theme in-game is different than the one featured on the official soundtrack as it features vocals.
- The original extended version of Rouge's Team Ultimate theme is featured as her boss fight's theme in Sonic at the Olympic Games (2020).
- TEAM SONIC RACING - E3 2018 Gameplay Demo @ 1080p (60ᶠᵖˢ) HD ✔. YouTube. RajmanGaming HD (13 June 2018). Retrieved on 15 June 2018.
- Team Sonic Racing Gameplay. YouTube. Shacknews (6 June, 2018). Retrieved on 22 September 2018.
- Team Sonic Racing - TGS 2018 Demo Gameplay [HD 1080P]. YouTube. GamersPrey (20 Sep 2018). Retrieved on 22 September 2018.