- For the version of this group before the Super Genesis Wave, see Team Dark (Pre-Super Genesis Wave).
Team Dark is a group that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. It is a tactical black operations team under the direct command of the chief commander of G.U.N, Abraham Tower. The team consists of G.U.N.'s most powerful, capable and resourceful agents; namely Shadow the Hedgehog, Rouge the Bat, and E-123 Omega.
Formation and past activities
Team Dark first formed under rather unusual circumstances: Rouge infiltrated one of Dr. Eggman's bases in search of treasure, only to discover an unconscious Shadow. As the hedgehog had previously been thought deceased, Rouge was astonished, and proceeded to awaken him. However, the chamber in which he had been kept in stasis was also where Eggman had stored E-123 Omega after abandoning the E-100 Series. Omega and Shadow briefly clashed until Rouge got them to stop, and the three quickly formed a team in hopes of punishing Eggman, obtaining his treasure, and unlocking the truth about Shadow. While fighting their way through a gauntlet set up by Neo Metal Sonic, disguised as Eggman, and joining Team Sonic, Team Chaotix, and Team Rose in battling Metal Overlord, the group discovered further mysteries about Shadow's return.
The Ultimate Lifeform's questions about who and what he really was would come to a head during the invasion of Black Doom and the Black Arms. During these events, the members of Team Dark worked alongside G.U.N. in thwarting the invasion, though Shadow did have some dealings with the invaders. The group also had some dealings with the Freedom Fighters, serving as the main contact between G.U.N. and that group. Shadow and Rouge also participated in an Extreme Gear race, but with a disguised Metal Sonic taking Omega's place.
- Note: Due to the Genesis Wave, Team Dark's history from this point were changed to be nearly identical to that of its game counterpart's.
Some time later, Team Dark were affected as Sonic's World was enveloped by a Genesis Wave. Shortly thereafter, they lost one of their number as Shadow was captured by Eggman and his new partner, Dr. Wily, who turned Shadow into Shadow Man, one of their Roboticized Masters. Determined to save their comrade, Rouge and Omega followed Shadow's captors to the Skull Egg Zone, where they split up as Rouge left to investigate and Omega remained behind to guard the portal they had used to enter the strange dimension. Rouge eventually infiltrated the Wily Egg, the doctors' flying fortress, and managed to sabotage it with some advice from Dr. Light, though she was eventually captured. Meanwhile, Shadow was rescued by Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man, who returned him to normal.
After parting ways with them he ran into Omega, and the pair soon joined a force of Sonic and Mega Man's other friends and allies at the Wily Egg's location. They thus joined in a battle against the Robot Master Army led by their Roboticized comrade Rouge Woman. However, their teammate was quickly restored to normal and rejoined their side, and the trio continued to battle against the evil army of robots. Despite their abilities, the heroes were eventually surrounded, but help arrived in the form of the Light Robot Masters. Thus bolstered, the heroes continued to fight until the Super Genesis Wave washed over them. Super Sonic subsequently attempted to reverse the effects of both waves, only for Eggman to interfere with drastic results.
Shattered World Crisis
- Note: From the readers point of view, this picks up from where Team Dark's original timeline ended.
After the Shattered World Crisis began, Team Dark was assigned a mission alongside Spider Troupe involving the arrival of the New Black Comet in the orbit of Sonic's World. The two teams were dispatched to plant a nuclear explosive in the comet and destroy it. However, they suffered difficulties as the new hive-mind Black Death and Eclipse the Darkling managed to brainwash Shadow into attacking his comrades. Fortunately, the other members of Team Dark were able to bring Shadow to his senses after a brief battle, before moving to save Spider Troupe from Eclipse. Shadow then dispatched Black Death and the two units accomplished their mission, but Eclipse escaped with eggs containing the dangerous Dark Arms.
Tracking Eclipse's ship to Angel Island, Team Dark-joined by Dr. Julian Snively via a G.U.N. robot with a video screen attached-approached Knuckles the Echidna for help in dealing with the threat. Rouge and Omega joined Knuckles in finding Eclipse's vessel, while Shadow himself was attacked on Shrine Island as Eclipse attempted to seize the Master Emerald. Shadow managed to drive him off, and quickly determined that the Master Emerald should be moved to a G.U.N. facility, which led him and Knuckles to battle. Taking advantage of their absence, Eclipse and his Dark Arms attacked the other members of Team Dark, and managed to seize the Master Emerald. However, Knuckles and Shadow managed to intercept them before they left the island, and Knuckles shattered the Master Emerald to keep it from both Team Dark and their enemies. Team Dark subsequently left Angel Island after G.U.N. reinforcements arrived to salvage Eclipse's vessel.
The members of Team Dark were caught up in the merging of Sonic's World and Mega Man's World caused by Sigma's Unity Engines. While aboard the G.U.N. airship Letter of Gabriel with Commander and Captain Tower, they found their craft being fused together with a government building from the other world, a fusion that resulted in both structures being destroyed and the apparent demise of everyone inside. Fortunately, the actions of Xander Payne later erased this event and the subsequent conflict with Sigma from history. As such, Team Dark was returned to their proper place in reality unharmed and very much alive.
- Team Dark was originally a team from Sonic Heroes, the game that introduced E-123 Omega, and brought Shadow the Hedgehog back into the series from his supposed death.
- Team Dark is one of the more popular groups amongst Sonic fans, and their popularity is likewise evident in the comics.
- Sonic Adventure 2/Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
- Sonic Heroes
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog #257, "Damage Control"
- Sonic Free Riders
- Sonic the Hedgehog #247, "At All Costs Part One: Fate Interrupted"
- Mega Man #24, "When Worlds Collide Part One: Kindred Sprits"
- Mega Man #26, "When Worlds Collide Part Seven: Evening The Odds"
- Sonic Universe #53, "When Worlds Collide Part Eight: Liberation"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #250, "When Worlds Collide Part Nine: All-Out War!"
- Mega Man #27, "When Worlds Collide Part Ten: No Holds Barred"
- Sonic Universe #54, "When Worlds Collide Part Eleven: Worst of the Worst"
- Sonic the Hedgehog #251, "When Worlds Collide Finale: Best of the Best"
- Sonic Universe #59, "Shadow Fall Part One: Into the Unknown"
- Sonic Universe #60, "Shadow Fall Part Two: A Shadow in the Dark"
- Sonic Universe #61, "Shadow Fall Part Three: A Matter of Trust"
- Sonic Universe #62, "Shadow Fall Part Four: A Matter of Survival"
- Sonic Universe #67, "Total Eclipse Part One: Uninvited Guests"
- Sonic Universe #68, "Total Eclipse Part Two: Tipping Point"
- Sonic Universe #69, "Total Eclipse Part Three: Shadow Boxing"
- Sonic Universe #70, "Total Eclipse Final: Last Resort"
- Mega Man #50, "Worlds Unite Part Four: Death and Destruction"
- Mega Man #52, "Worlds Unite Part Twelve: Last Rights"