Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
"Tails' New Home" is the sixteenth episode of the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series. Despite being produced as the sixteenth episode, it aired as the second episode during the show's original run.
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Doctor Ivo Robotnik
- Stork Couple (First appearance)
- Sergeant Doberman (First appearance)
- Mrs. Doberman (Mentioned)
- Two Badniks impersonating Tails' Parents
- Coconuts ("Sonic Says" segment only)
The episode begins with Tails being attacked by Scratch and Grounder. Sonic shows up to help his little buddy. As Sonic makes light work of Scratch and Grounder, Tails ends up falling out of a tree and getting injured. Sonic feels very guilty about Tails getting hurt and declares that he would never let something like this happen again.
Sonic puts a bandaged Tails in a wagon while explaining to him that he is going to find him a real family. Tails insists that he does not need a real family, but Sonic tells him otherwise. The first family is a pair of clumsy Storks who flood their own house and set it on fire. Tails says he would be safer living with Robotnik. The second family is that of Sergeant Doberman, who treats Sonic and Tails like new recruits. Sonic and Tails quickly retreat.
When all hope seems lost, Sonic and Tails find a billboard with a picture of Baby Tails on it which catches Tails' attention. Scratch and Grounder are hiding behind the billboard. Scratch speaks through a microphone, explaining that the child's real parents miss their baby and giving an address. Tails gets very excited to hear that his real parents are looking for him. Sonic is a little bit sad at the idea of losing his friend.
They follow the address, where "Tails' parents" are. They give Tails lots of toys and food and he is very happy. "Tails' father" tells Sonic that Tails belongs with his own kind. So Sonic says goodbye and leaves. Dr. Robotnik watches from a telescope far away. He notices a tear roll down Tails' cheek. Dr. Robotnik then explains to Scratch and Grounder that his plan to capture Tails is working perfectly.
Tails' parents reveal themselves as Badniks and capture Tails.
Sonic sits by a rock and remembers the time that he first met Tails. In a flashback, Baby Tails falls and lands on top of Sonic. He tells Sonic that his name is Miles and that he hates it. Sonic gives him the nickname "Tails". Sonic snaps out of the flashback and realizes that if those were really Tails' parents they would have called him 'Miles', not his nickname.
Back at the house of Tails' fake parents, they tied up Tails and, Dr. Robotnik has set up two traps for Sonic: the Magnetic Sneaker-Gripper Hedgehog-Trapper Rug and the Ceiling-Squasher Sonic-Smasher Cruncher. Sonic arrives disguised as a mailman and tells Tails to leave, threatening to reveal the fox's real name to everyone if he does not, and then tricks Robotnik, Scratch and Grounder into getting crushed by their own traps.
As they walk together, Sonic apologizes to Tails for the whole ordeal; however, Tails explains that he already has a family. He tells him that he is his mother, father and picket fence. Sonic tells him that he loves him and Tails says he is glad to be home.
Sonic sees Coconuts and asks him what he is doing. Coconuts explains that he is sick of being under appreciated and is running away from home. Sonic informs him of all the bad things that can happen to him and convinces Coconuts he is lucky to have a home and should not to run away.
Sonic: "Where ya goin' Coconuts?"
Coconuts: "I'm running away! Dr. Robotnik doesn't love me!"
Sonic: "So you think it's gonna be better out there? You have no safe place to go, and no one to oil ya, and charge your batteries when they get low. You can get into some big trouble, why you could end up...in the junkyard! Hey, it may not be perfect, but when you get right down to it, there's no place like home!"
- When Sonic covers Grounder's eyes when he's flying, Grounder's antenna goes missing and the handlebar on his back disappears.
- When Sonic walks while holding Tails, as he closes his eyes, the lines around his upper eyelids disappear for a split second.
- The music in this episode is a bit slower and pitched a bit lower unlike the other episodes.
Title in other languages
- The alternate name for this episode is "Welcome Home, Tails".
- One of the Badniks from this episode can be seen in the audience of the continuation screen in the 16-bit version of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. This Badnik could also be seen in the pilot episode. It bears strong resemblance to Buzzer, albeit with limbs.
- Tails' fake parents make another appearance in the episode "Magnificent Sonic" as citizens of Tranquil Gulch. The husband of the Stork Couple also appears in that same episode.
- After eating some chicken on Grounder when he's flying, Sonic pulls down a white sheet and makes puking noises. He then says "I hate airline food!" This could be traced back to the common joke that airline food tastes bad.
- The music in this episode is a semitone lower than usual.
- In this episode, Tails only reveals his first name, Miles. He reveals his full name, Miles Prower, in a much later episode when he meets William Le Due.
- The name of the Mobian that Sonic mentioned while he is in a postman disguise before he toppled Scratch and Grounder into a giant envelope [Lulu Q. Besson] is a reference to Luc Besson, a deeply famous continental European (French, E.U.) filmmaker in real life, known for films such as Subway (1986), La Femme Nikita (1990), Leon: The Professional (1994) and Valerian (2017).
- Just as in Boogey-Mania, Lovesick Sonic and the rest, this episode also become an internet meme, with Dr Robotnik quoting "I'll have to give myself a PROMOTION".