Tag Action (タッグアクション Tagguakushon?) is a special ability used in Sonic Advance 3 and Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode II. Tag Actions are performed by two characters and give the player a unique ability.
Sonic Advance 3
Tag Actions first appeared in Sonic Advance 3, where the player could use the Tag Action to perform special abilities based on the partner character. Each character has two different Tag Action abilities depending on whether the Tag Action is performed on the ground or in the air. In order to perform a Tag Action, the player must press and hold the R button to summon the partner character. When summoned, the player will hold the partner character in a ball and once the R button is released, the player will perform the Tag Action. Each character's Tag Actions are as follows:
- Sonic the Hedgehog:
- Ground Tag Action: The player gains a quick boost of speed and automatically enters Boost Mode.
- Air Tag Action: Same as the ground Tag Action, however, the player gains a boost of speed in the air.
- Miles "Tails" Prower:
- Ground Tag Action: The player leapfrogs Tails, gaining an immense ascension into the air.
- Air Tag Action: The player will be carried by Tails' Propeller Flying ability for a short time.
- Knuckles the Echidna:
- Ground Tag Action: The player launches Knuckles forward, allowing the player to destroy special walls that can only be otherwise destroyed by a Power Type team.
- Air Tag Action: The player will ride on Knuckles' back whilst using his gliding ability; however, the player will fall off if Knuckles connects with a wall.
- Amy Rose:
- Cream the Rabbit:
- Dr. Eggman:
- Dr. Eggman has his own special Tag Action when partnered with Super Sonic in the Nonaggression boss fight with Ultimate G-merl. When the R button is held, Super Sonic charges Eggman with energy; when the R button is released, Eggman will be launched forward and if he hits G-merl's mouth, it will expose G-merl's weak spot and allowing the player to damage G-merl. How long the weak spot stays open is determined by how long the player holds the R button.
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II
In Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II, Tag Actions are utilized by Sonic and Tails, who both share the same Tag Actions. As with Sonic Advance 3, there are different types of Tag Actions depending on where the Tag Action is performed. However, unlike Sonic Advance 3, the player simply has to press / to perform a Tag Action. A notable feature about Tag Actions in this game is that they force Super Sonic to revert back to his base form whenever they are used. There are three main Tag Actions in the game:
- Rolling Combo: When performed on the ground, the characters will perform the Rolling Combo, a stronger version of the Spin Attack.
- Copter Combo: When performed in the air, the characters will perform the Copter Combo, allowing Tails to carry Sonic in the air for a limited time.
- Submarine Combo: Performing an Tag Action whilst not on the ground when underwater performs the Submarine Combo, which allows Tails to carry Sonic underwater; this grants the player the ability to propel themselves underwater and move freely in any direction. Unlike the standard air Tag Action, Tails will not tire and can swim indefinitely.
In Act 1 and the Boss of Sky Fortress Zone, the player can use the Tag Action to perform a Tornado Boost while standing on the Tornado. The Tornado Boost allows the player to smash through containers that may be in the way. However, it does not cause Super Sonic to revert back to normal.
- Amy's Ground Tag Action reappears in Sonic Generations.
- Also in Sonic Generations, Classic Tails carries Classic Sonic in a similar way to Tails' Air Tag Action.