The Swordsman Trooper is an enemy that appears in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. It is a mass-produced model of Destruction Troops created by Lyric the Last Ancient and his army's most common footsoldiers.
The regular Swordsman Troopers are humanoid robots with red armor, grey joints and cyan lights. They have slightly short arms and legs compared to their torso, pointy shoulders, a three-fingered right hand with claws, a glowing cyan sword for their left hand resembling a long tuning fork, no visible neck, a cyan eye with a slit-like pupil and a forked horn on top for a head, and a ring-shaped collar.
The stronger variant of the Swordsman Troopers are colored white with red joints.
The Swordsman Troopers were created by Lyric the Last Ancient about a millennium ago to help with his plans to destroy the earth's lifeforms and conquer it. When Lyric was imprisoned before he achieved his goal, the Swordsman Troopers were shut down. As a contingency plan however, Lyric left some of them behind to be found so the finders would set him free to learn the Swordsman Troopers' secrets. They were eventually found by Dr. Eggman who made them a part of his army and battle Team Sonic for him, but after Lyric was freed, he reactivated and/or reclaimed his Swordsman Troopers to have them aid his schemes and battle Team Sonic.
The Swordsman Troopers are the most common enemy the game, appearing in every regular level and hub world (except for Crater Lake). They come in a regular variant which has red armor, and a stronger one which has white armor. Both variants are first seen in Lyric's Tomb, but only the regular Swordsman Troopers are first fought there, while the stronger ones are first fought in The Pit.
In gameplay, the Swordsman Troopers attack with sword swings and can dodge attacks by moving from side to side or backwards. However, the stronger Swordsman Troopers are in addition faster, can perform quick dashes to both close in on the player and better dodge attacks, and can make themselves invulnerable to damage and unfazed by attacks for a few seconds by glowing blue. The regular Swordsman Troopers are slow, have fairly low health and are easy to defeat, but the stronger ones have much more health and are overall tougher. When defeated, they release varying amount of Robot Scrap and three Rings.
After Team Sonic defeated Lyric, all the Swordsman Troopers were subsequently scrapped.
Basically, the Swordsman Troopers are mindless and silent drones unwaveringly loyal to Lyric the Last Ancient, having been programmed to obey his every command. Their loyalty is only superficial however, as the Swordsman Troopers are just soulless machines adhering to their programing, meaning their allegiance can easily shift when someone else takes control of them.
Powers and abilities
The Swordsman Troopers possess retractable swords on their left arm which can cut through steel. Noted to be good fighters, they have at least passable skills in swordsmanship, using their sword for both offense and defense. They are also quite adaptive, capable of performing sabotage in any environment.
More advanced models can temporarily cloak their entire bodies in a blue force field, making them invulnerable to harm, and have jets equipped on their backs which let them perform midair dashes.
- The Swordsman Troopers' name was not revealed in the final version of Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. However, their name is listed in an unused biography for the game.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved on 6 March 2015.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 SONIC BOOM. Characters: Lyric the Last Ancient. Archived from the original on 23 March 2016. Retrieved on 25 July 2014. “As seen in the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games, Lyric is the last of his kind from an ancient civilization who lived a millennium ago. His race was devoted to peacefully controlling the world’s resources. Driven mad by power, Lyric turned on his fellow Ancients and took control of the resources. Building an army of robots programmed to obey his every command, the deadly snake-like villain set out to destroy everything organic and create a world of twisted metal and robots. However, just before he could successfully take over, he was attacked by the last surviving Ancients and imprisoned forever. With his army shut down and his plans ruined, he waited in prison plotting his revenge. Years passed and Lyric began to give up hope. That is, until Sonic comes across him. Now with his army rebooted, and his plans in place, the only thing stopping Lyric from total victory is Sonic and his friends.”
- ↑ Big Red Button Entertainment (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Nintendo Wii U. Sega. Area/Level: Abandoned Research Facility. "Dr. Eggman: Eggman. Dr. Eggman. But you can call me Dr. 'the guy who set you free so you can give me the secrets of your technology so I can be even more powerful than I already...' you know what? Just call me 'boss.' / Lyric: Who do you think made these robots and left them for you to find, you pathetic waste of carbon!"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 『ソニックトゥーン』多種多様な「破壊兵」やボスエネミー、お馴染みの敵キャラが公開 (Japanese). Inside Games (29 September 2014). Archived from the original on 1 January 2015.
- ↑ Big Red Button Entertainment (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Nintendo Wii U. Sega. Area/Level: Lyric's Tomb. "Sonic: These guys are good. Any advice, Tails?"