- Near the beginning of the act, after the part with the giant rocket, the player will go up some platforms with Egg Pawns and the first Red Star Ring in plain view.
- (Yellow Drill needed) After the first checkpoint, the player should break open the Wisp Capsule containing a Yellow Wisp, then continue right. After going through the loop, they must drill into the ground just before the Dash Panel, then go down to find a square of Black Mounds with the second Red Star Ring in the center.
- (Yellow Drill needed) After obtaining the second Red Star Ring, the player must drill down to the area below, then continue right and jump up some platforms until they grind over a short rail. They should stop there and go under it, back to the left. They will then get to a small area with the third Red Star Ring.
- After the second checkpoint, the player should go to the end of the path where the giant rockets come from and jump right, but avoid the springs. Instead, they must walk to the right to find the fourth Red Star Ring.
- After collecting the fourth Red Star Ring, the player should go to the end of the second path with the giant rockets, but avoid hit the springs. Instead, they must look behind them for the fifth and final Red Star Ring.
- (Green Hover needed) After the first checkpoint, the player will go under a wall, and ahead will be a Green Wisp capsule on a platform. As the Green Hover, the player should fly up, then left and go down between the spikes to find a Red Star Ring at the bottom.
- A short distance after the first Red Star Ring, the player will go up to a dead-end, then some Egg Pawns will appear. After they are defeated, a pulley will come down, and taking it will cause the player to be bounced between springs. After landing, the player should stop and go back to the left. All the way to the far left, the player can find the second Red Star Ring hidden in popcorn.
- The third Red Star Ring is directly on the path between the first checkpoint and the Goal Ring, on a platform over some falling blocks.
- (Green Hover needed) After getting the third Red Star Ring, the player should go back left to where the falling blocks start, and on the left should be a breakable crate between two metal crates. The player must break it with a stomp to reveal a switch, press it, then use the pulley on the left to reach a Wisp Capsule. The player needs to fly upward as the Green Hover to the right and use a Light Speed Dash on a line of rings above to find the fourth Red Star Ring.
- Right after obtaining the fourth Red Star Ring, the player will run across some falling blocks. Instead of jumping on the pulley at the end, the player should slide under it and through the Rainbow Rings behind to collect the fifth and final Red Star Ring.
- Sometime after the first checkpoint, after the second Orange Wisp the player comes across, Sonic will jump between some walls with springs and then land on a platform in the air. The second one has a Red Star Ring.
- (Orange Rocket needed) After getting the first Red Star Ring, the player must go back left to the two walls with the springs and stand in the middle where the line of rings is. They should use the Orange Rocket]to fly up and collect the second Red Star Ring above.
- (Pink Spikes needed) Right at the second checkpoint, the player should go back slightly to the left and boost to the right where the path curves in the shape of a ramp, then collect the Pink Wisp capsule above. They must use the Pink Spikes on the ceiling to the right of the checkpoint and follow the wall to where the Orange Wisp capsule is. At the end, a Hint Ring will appear. The player must drop down on the small platform below and it will start to move. They need to stay on the platform until the end and jump to collect the Red Star Ring in the loop.
- (Pink Spikes needed) After collecting the third Red Star Ring, the player must go on top of the loop wall and wait for the power to run out, then jump on the enemies to the right to reach a platform. Another one will come; the player should jump on it to go right and slide to pass below the wall, then wall jump to reach the fourth Red Star Ring.
- Right after the third checkpoint on a normal run (if the player does not collect the third and fourth Red Star Rings), the player should stick to the right side of the path to find a spring hidden behind some barrels. On the rail above, tey must switch to the rail on the left, then break the barrels there to find the fifth and final Red Star Ring.
* It is not possible to collect all 5 red rings in one run
- Near the beginning of the Act, the player will run through some popcorn and hit a switch which makes a cyan capsule appear. They must grab it, then continue right to the next switch, which moves an orange beam. The player should stay there and use the laser to aim at the line of rings on the wall. They will hit Prisms, and then must go to the right and slide under the wall to collect the first Red Star Ring.
- The player will need to begin a second run of the Act for this one. They must get the cyan wisp capsule at the beginning like they did before, but instead of using the laser power ahead, they should keep it and follow the path like normal. After taking the pulley up, the player should stand at the second fence and use the laser to hit the prism on the platform above instead of taking the ramp. They will then hit more prisms and grab the Red Star Ring in the process.
- After getting the two Red Star Rings at the start, the player will need to use some moving platforms to go up. When they reach the large one with two switches, they must raise it to the very top to find a Red Star Ring above.
- (Purple Frenzy needed) After getting the third medal, the player should jump down and collect the purple wisp capsule, then use the frenzy wisp to smash through the metal crates below and crush them all to reveal a Red Star Ring.
- After the fourth Red Star Ring, the payer should continue right and go up using the large platform. They must stay on the left side as much as possible—at some point, they will find an alcove in the left wall where the fifth and final Red Star Ring is.
- At the beginning of the Act, the player will be sent over a Dash Panel. They must stop immediately after and head back in the direction they came from to find the first Red Star Ring.
- After the first checkpoint, the second Red Star Ring will be in the player's path on a platform before a pulley with spikes and after some blue blocks, in plain sight.
- Right after the second checkpoint, the player will use lollipops to go up some platforms. In the top-right corner is a Red Star Ring on a platform; the player can use the lollipop there to reach it.
- (Cube Power Needed) Directly after the third Red Star Ring, the player should continue left and jump to the third lollipop. Right before they grab it, they should use the speed boost to dash and spin around the lollipop. This will give them an extra boost to reach the next one above, where they must repeat the process to reach an area up on the right. The player must then go across the crates, and they will soon spot the Red Star Ring beneath. They must stand above it and use the cube wisp to grab it.
- (Spike Power Needed) Right after the fourth Red Star Ring, the player must get the pink wisp capsule on the right, then go up and wait for the cube power to end. They then need to use the spike wisp and jump up onto the ceiling above, then follow the wall to the right until they find the fifth and final Red Star Ring between some crates.
- Shortly after the Act starts, the player will come to the first Red Star Ring in plain view, in between some yellow blocks. The player must simply use a boost to break through the blocks and collect it.
- Right after the first Red Star Ring, the player should continue right to find the second Red Star Ring under a platform with a robot in plain sight.
- A bit further ahead after the second Red Star Ring, the player will go across a rail and then come to an area with blue and yellow blocks. They must boost and stomp through the yellow blocks to get the blue wisp capsule at the bottom, then use the cube wisp to get the Red Star Ring in the right corner.
- Some distance after the third Red Star Ring, the player will find this one in the next area with yellow and blue blocks. They can get this one several ways. The easiest, if they have the spike wisp, is to just keep the capsule they obtained earlier and use it here to reach the medal. Alternatively, the player can use the cube wisp to get to the top, or just stand on the highest yellow block on the right and boost through the air to the left.
- Right after getting the fourth Red Star Ring, the player must exit the cube area, and right at the top of the wall where the robots were, there should be a rail above going to the left. The player must jump on it to reach the fifth and final Red Star Ring.
- At the start of the Act, the player should stomp on the red jelly and they will be launched up to the first Red Star Ring.
- (Red Burst needed) After the first checkpoint, there will be a gate of jellybeans, after which there will be a Red Wisp. The player must boost through the gate and activate the Red Burst, then follow the Grind Rail, and the second Red Star Ring will be on top of the loop.
- (Red Burst needed) After the next Red Burst section, the player should go towards the right and they should see a roof of wafer cookies. Use a charged Red Burst jump to break the roof and reach the upper path. Then, follow the path and use multiple Red Burst jumps over the Dash Panel and the Player should see the third Red Star Ring towards the right in the air.
- (Violet Void needed) Right after the third Red Star Ring, the Player should boost up the slope and they will find a Violet Wisp. The Player must activate the Violet Void to suck up the wall, then fly straight up and the fourth Red Star Ring will be there.
- At the last rocket section of the Act, the Player must jump off the rocket above the platform and the fifth Red Star Ring is there.
- (Red Burst needed) At the first hot air balloon, the player should activate the Red Burst and it will send them straight upwards, then follow the path until the Grind Rail, then use the Red Burst jumps and head towards the top right. The Red Star Ring will be in a small hole in the wall along with a 1-Up.
- On the upper path, the player will encounter another hot air balloon. When they see the trail of Rings heading right, The player should jump out and hit the spring towards the right. The player should then Air Boost at peak height from the spring, where they will find a path that leads to a platform, that will drop them to the second Red Star Ring.
- (Violet Void needed) In the middle path, the player will find a room full of different colored Jellies and Spikes. At the bottom right of the room, the player will find a Violet Wisp. After transforming into the Violet Void and sucking up the wall, the player will enter a room full of enemies for Violet Void to consume, with the third Red Star Ring on the top left, past an overhanging pillar.
- After the Violet Void section, the player will encounter a rocket section (they can also get here from the bottom path of the Act). The Player must follow the upper arrows on the rocket, and then hit the Spring at the end and head to the left where the fourth Red Star Ring is.
- (Red Burst needed)After the final checkpoint, the player must jump off the rail to the lower path and boost through two jellybean gates. The player should see the fifth Red Star Ring on the top left of the room. They must then head to the right and grab the nearby Red Wisp to be able to reach it.
- (Red Burst needed) As soon as the mission starts, the player should head towards the top-left with the Red Burst where they will find the first Red Star Ring.
- (Red Burst needed) The player should follow the top path. The second Red Star Ring will be at the top-right corner of the final room of the top path.
- (Red Burst needed) The first Red Star Ring is in the top-right corner of the room with the hot air balloon. The player will need to use the Red Burst to reach this (a Red Wisp Wisp Capsule can be found underneath the balloon).
- The second Red Star Ring is found above the hot dog the machine is holding at the end of the mission. The player needs to hit the hot dog to proceed regardless, making this one easy to get.
- (Red Burst needed) When the mission starts, the player should stay near the top of the level with the Red Burst. After the overhanging spikes, The player should head straight upwards and they will find an upper path. This path will soon drop off, hug the left wall while falling and the player should get the first Red Star Ring.
- (Red Burst needed) Soon after the first Red Ring, the player will go through a Red Burst launcher that leads them to another room. The player should head towards the top right where they will find another Red Burst launcher. This will take them through a chain of three Red Burst launchers which will take send them to another path where the second Red Star Ring is.
- WishingTikal's Red Star Ring guide, which was used as source material for this page.