The Swarmer is an enemy that appears in the Sonic Boom series. It is a mass-produced model of Destruction Troops created by Lyric the Last Ancient. More akin to projectiles than robots, the Swarmers are used by Swarmer Hives for warfare on bodies of water.
The Swarmers closely resemble orange, streamlined bullets with a yellow midsection. Their nose tip can open in a snapping fashion, revealing a small antenna with a purple tip.
The Swarmers were made about a millennium ago by Lyric the Last Ancient to aid with his plans to destroy the earth's lifeforms and conquer it. When Lyric was imprisoned before he could succeed, the Swarmers were shut down. However, Lyric left some of them behind to be found as a contingency plan so the finders would set him free to learn the Swarmers' secrets. When Lyric was released in the present, he reactivated and/or reclaimed all his Swarmers to have them aid his schemes and battle Team Sonic.
The Swarmers are only encountered in the sailing sections for the Riptide in River Rush and Crater Lake. In every instance they are encountered, the Swarmers are spawned from a Swarmer Hive, which can endlessly deploy up to six Swarmers at once. In gameplay, as soon as a Swarmer is deployed from a Swarmer Hive, it homes in on the Riptide's position along the water surface. Once a Swarmer makes contact with the Riptide, it explodes and deal damage to the player. However, a Swarmer will self-destruct if it travels a certain distance. A Swarmer can also be destroyed with one shot from any of the Riptide's weapons. However, if they overwhelm the player with their numbers, the Swarmers can deal some serious damage. To stop the onslaught of Swarmers, the player has to take out the Swarmers' Swarmer Hive, which will in turn destroy its Swarmers immediately.
After Team Sonic defeated Lyric, all the Swarmers were subsequently scrapped.
Essentially, the Swarmers are mindless and silent drones unwaveringly loyal to Lyric the Last Ancient, having been programmed to obey his every command. Their loyalty is only superficial however, as the Swarmers are just soulless machines adhering to their programing, meaning their allegiance can easily shift when someone else takes control of them.
Powers and abilities
The Swarmers are respectively fast swimmers, moving similar to torpedoes. For offense, they can detonate themselves upon impacting their target, though this ability will destroy the Swarmers.
- The Swarmers are the only model of Destruction Troops in Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric that are directly referred to by name. All the other Destruction Troops only have their name partially mentioned or without direct confirmation.
- The Swarmers are the only model of Destruction Troops who has no eyes.
- The Swarmers are the only model of Destruction Troops who does not release any items upon defeat.
- SONIC BOOM. Characters: Lyric the Last Ancient. Archived from the original on 23 March 2016. Retrieved on 25 July 2014. "As seen in the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U games, Lyric is the last of his kind from an ancient civilization who lived a millennium ago. His race was devoted to peacefully controlling the world’s resources. Driven mad by power, Lyric turned on his fellow Ancients and took control of the resources. Building an army of robots programmed to obey his every command, the deadly snake-like villain set out to destroy everything organic and create a world of twisted metal and robots. However, just before he could successfully take over, he was attacked by the last surviving Ancients and imprisoned forever. With his army shut down and his plans ruined, he waited in prison plotting his revenge. Years passed and Lyric began to give up hope. That is, until Sonic comes across him. Now with his army rebooted, and his plans in place, the only thing stopping Lyric from total victory is Sonic and his friends."
- Big Red Button Entertainment (21 November 2014). Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. Wii U. Sega. Area/Level: Abandoned Research Facility. "Dr. Eggman: Eggman. Dr. Eggman. But you can call me Dr. 'the guy who set you free so you can give me the secrets of your technology so I can be even more powerful than I already...' you know what? Just call me 'boss.' / Lyric: Who do you think made these robots and left them for you to find, you pathetic waste of carbon!"