The super transformation (スーパー化 Sūpā-ka?, lit. "Super form") is a technique that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. It is a transformation that an elite few can undergo when exposed to vast amounts of Chaos Emerald energy, usually via the seven Chaos Emeralds. This lets its users enter a Super State (スーパー化 sūpā-ka?, lit. "super form") or super form (スーパー化 sūpā-ka?), which bestows them with increased innate talents while usually granting them virtual invulnerability and new abilities.
A super transformation is achieved by harnessing the Chaos Emerald energy from objects that radiate it, most commonly the seven Chaos Emeralds, but can also include the Master Emerald and the Super Emeralds. However, users can be limited to assume their Super State from one of these requirements; notably, Classic Metal Sonic can allegedly only enter a super transformation by harnessing the energy of the Master Emerald, while the Chaos Emeralds would only power him up. Super States generally grant their users a new appearance that is very diverse and varies depending on the subject. This most commonly includes a change in the user's body color, typically into a golden color; but can also make their body glow, increase their size to a colossal scale, or summon a golden shield that protects them.
The super transformation generally gives the user enhanced innate abilities, such as increased speed and strength and other abilities, such as Shadow's chaos powers and Silver's psychokinetic abilities. Additionally, due to the amounts of Chaos Emerald energy they are infused with, all Super States accordingly command unlimited power and have access to unlimited energy.
In addition to the user's already enhanced abilities, super transformations grant them a variety of new moves and skills, most commonly flight. They are also granted virtual invincibility, thus allowing them to resist lethal attacks and survive in environments such as space. Despite this, however, Super States are, for the most part, vulnerable to drowning.
It is possible to share the ability of super transformation, allowing the Super State user to let others achieve a Super State of their own by passing their power onto them, while still maintaining their own super transformation. It should also be noted that Super State users appear to be able to use their energy to empower machinery. Such was the case of Super Sonic, who was able to grant Extreme Gear unlimited fuel and maximum stats.
For all its benefits, the super transformation has its cons and flaws; most notably, Super States are rather short-lived for the most part, as most consume tremendous amounts of Chaos Emerald energy in short periods of time, though their longevity can be extended by harnessing Ring Energy. Additionally, Super State users can be stripped off their transformation if they are forcibly extracted from their power source.
List of Super States
- Classic Super Knuckles: Classic Knuckles' Super State. He can attain this form using the power of his world's Chaos Emeralds. While transformed, Knuckles' red fur gains a pulsating pink glow. As Super Knuckles, Knuckles commands abilities like increased speed, flight and virtual invulnerability.
- Classic Super Sonic: Classic Sonic's Super State. He can attain this form using the power of the Chaos Emeralds or his world's equivalent of them. In this form, Sonic's fur changes to a gold color, and his quills stand up. He gains increased speed, strength, agility etc. in this state, along with abilities like flight, virtual invulnerability and different chaos powers.
- Classic Super Tails: Classic Tails's Super State. He can attain this form using the power of his world's Chaos Emeralds. When transformed, his fur gains a bright, pulsating glow. His abilities in this form consist of increased innate talents, flight without using his twin-tails, and virtual invulnerability.
- Flicky's Super State: The Super State of the Flickies. They can attain this form indirectly through the Super Emeralds' power. In this form, the Flickies gain a pulsating golden plumage. Abilities they command include increased power and virtual invulnerability.
- Perfect Chaos: Chaos' Super State. It can attain this form with the negative energy of the seven Chaos Emeralds. Instead of turning golden like the traditional Super State when transforming, Chaos gains a gigantic, more monstrous appearance with reptilian eyes, a wide mouth and tentacles. In this form, Chaos' hydrokinetic abilities are enhanced to the point that it can control floods. It can also project destructive energies.
- Pir'Oth Ix's Super State: Imperator Ix's Super State. He was able to attain this state using the residual Chaos Emerald energy left behind in Nocturne. When transformed, Ix shreds his armor and he gains a pulsating cyan aura. He possesses all of his usual powers and abilities, but on a far greater level.
- Super Knuckles: Knuckles the Echidna's Super State. He can attain this form through the power of the seven Chaos Emeralds. This form initially changed Knuckles' fur from red to pink, but later gave him a golden shield instead. As Super Knuckles, Knuckles commands abilities like increased strength and speed, flight and invulnerability.
- Super Mecha Sonic: Mecha Sonic's Super State. It can attain this form by tapping power directly from the Master Emerald. While transformed, Mecha Sonic turns from blue to golden-orange and is capable flight and firing energy weapons.
- Super Mighty: Classic Mighty's Super State. He can attain this form using the power of his world's Chaos Emeralds. While transformed, Mighty's red shell gains a pulsating pink glow. As Super Mighty, Mighty commands abilities like increased speed, flight and virtual invulnerability.
- Super Ray: Classic Ray's Super State. He can attain this form using the power of his world's Chaos Emeralds. While transformed, Ray's yellow fur gains a pulsating yellow glow. As Super Ray, Ray commands abilities like increased speed, flight and virtual invulnerability.
- Super Shadow: Shadow the Hedgehog's Super State. Shadow is able to attain this form using the power of the seven Chaos Emeralds. In this form, Shadow's black fur turns a shiny lemon chiffon color and his orange-red eyes become completely red. While transformed, he gains an increase in speed and power, along with the ability to fly and virtual invulnerability. His Chaos Powers are also enhanced to their full limit.
- Super Silver: Silver the Hedgehog's Super State. Silver can attain this form by harnessing the seven Chaos Emeralds' power. In this form, Silver's fur becomes a golden white, his chest fur turns dark gold, the cyan markings on his attire turn golden, his yellow eyes become red, and his rear quills float upward. As Super Silver, Silver's innate talents are greatly increased, including his psychokinetic abilities, and he gains the power of flight without the usage of his psychokinesis and virtual invulnerability.
- Super Sonic: Sonic the Hedgehog's Super State and his most frequently-used transformation. He attains this form with the power of the seven Chaos Emeralds. In this form, Sonic's fur changes from blue to gold, his eyes turn from green to red, and his quills stand up. He gains increased speed, strength, agility etc. in this state, along with the powers of flight, virtual invulnerability and different chaos powers. His positive energy can also neutralize negative energy and calm people possessed by rage.
- Super Tails: Miles "Tails" Prower's Super State. He can attain this form with the seven Chaos Emeralds. Originally, his fur would gain a pulsating glow in this form, but he would later get surrounded by a golden sphere instead. His abilities in this form consist of increased innate talents, flight without using his twin-tails, and invulnerability.
- Ultimate Gemerl: Gemerl's Super State. Gemerl can attain this form using the power of the seven Chaos Emeralds. In this form, he turns into a disk-shaped version of himself with four extendable arms with claw-like hands that can fire different kinds of energy beams and missiles.
The hyper transformation is a form achieved by collecting all seven Super Emeralds, powered up versions of the Chaos Emeralds. Like the super transformation, this form grants the user increased speed, strength, invulnerability, and flight, although it grants further speed and strength than the super transformation. Also like the super transformation, the form requires energy in order to be maintained.
|Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)||"STH2 Super Sonic 〜Mega Drive version〜"||Masato Nakamura||1:16|
|Sonic the Hedgehog 3||"Invincibility"||N/A||0:31|
|Sonic & Knuckles||"Invincibility"||N/A||0:33|
|Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I/Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II||"Invincible"||Jun Senoue||0:51|
|Sonic Mania/Sonic Mania Plus||"Glimmering Gift - Super Transformation"||Tee Lopes, Falk Au Yeong||1:29|
- In Debug Mode of Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Mania and the 2013 remasters of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2, the player can also break open an Item box with an "S" on it in order to use a super transformation.
- Super Sonic is the most used super transformation.
- The sound effect for activating a super transformation in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles is the same as Kaiser Greedy's Black Hole attack in Ristar.
- It was said by Sonic in the fight against the Finalhazard in Sonic Adventure 2 that continuous usage of super transformation will cause the user to disappear. This was a translation error, as the Japanese version of the fight had Sonic mentioning to Shadow that it would damage him.
- The Chao protagonist in Chao In Space undergoes a similar transformation using seven Chaos Drives, alongside a Penguin to give it angry eyebrows.
- Tyson Hesse on Twitter. Twitter (17 July 2018). Retrieved on 17 July 2018. "Alexander Soerensen: Serious question: in Metal Mayhem, was it a Super State Metal Sonic achieved (did we just see "Super Metal Sonic"), or was it just an extreme power-up? / Tyson Hesse: I'd say judging by his look that it was more of a power-up (The look, btw, was designed by the original creator of Metal Sonic). In my mind, "Super Metal Sonic" was what we were about to see at the end. Hopefully one day we can get a look at that too."
- Sonic Team (6 February 2004). Sonic Heroes. PlayStation 2. Sega. Area/Level: Metal Overlord. "Cream: Everyone! Watch your Ring count! You won't be able to use super transformation if you lose all your Rings."
- Sonic Team (30 December 2003). Sonic Heroes. PlayStation 2. Sega. Area/Level: Metal Overlord. "Cream: リングがなくなると スーパー化がとけてしまいマス!!"
- Sonic Team (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Area/Level: Solaris. "Knuckles: If you're in a Super State, you can use the left stick to fly up, down, left or right, and use the A button to accelerate."
- Sonic Team USA (23 June 2001). Sonic Adventure 2. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Finalhazard. "Shadow: I don't have enough energy to change into my super form!"
- Bandai Namco, Sora Ltd. (21 November 2014). Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. Wii U. Nintendo. Area/Level: Trophy Hoard. ""Super Sonic" trophy: The Chaos Emeralds are said to hold enough power to control the whole world. It's that power that turns Sonic into Super Sonic. He turns a glorious golden color and can fly at nearly the speed of light. In his Final Smash, this high-speed flight damages anyone who gets in its way and can even launch them!"
- TailsTube #1 (feat. Sonic). YouTube. Sonic the Hedgehog (24 March 2022). Retrieved on 24 March 2022.
- Sonic Team USA (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. Area/Level: Emerald Beach (Shadow). "Sonic: I've heard that he who collects 7 'Chaos Emeralds' will be granted unlimited energy."
- Sumo Digital (23 February 2010). Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. PlayStation 3. Sega. "Sonic's character profile: His other abilities include a "Spin Attack", a "Spin Dash" and his "Super Sonic" transformation - which makes him indestructible and gives him the gift of run-flight."
- Sumo Digital (23 February 2010). Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. PlayStation 3. Sega. "Shadow's character profile: If he has all seven emeralds he can transform into Super Shadow – which, like Sonic, makes him invulnerable and gives him run-flight."
- Sonic Team (6 January 2004). Sonic Heroes. Nintendo GameCube. Sega.
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (24 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. PlayStation 3. Sega.
- Sonic Team . Sonic Channel (Japanese). Characters: Super Sonic. Sega. Archived from the original on 1 July 2008. Retrieved on 25 June 2008.
- Sora Ltd. (9 March 2008). Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Wii. Nintendo. Area/Level: Trophy Hoard. ""Super Sonic" trophy: His abilities in this form far surpass his normal ones, and he's even able to fly."
- Sonic Team (9 December 2008). Sonic Unleashed. PlayStation 3. Sega. Cutscene: Opening.
- Sonic Team USA (23 June 2001). Sonic Adventure 2. Dreamcast. Sega. Area/Level: Finalhazard. "Sonic: Shadow! Continuous use of your super form will cause you to disappear! Get back to the Colony!"