The Super Emeralds, also referred to as Super Chaos Emeralds, are objects that appears in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics. They were seven rare and more powerful versions of the Chaos Emeralds, each in different colors. The were originally Chao known as the "Seven Server Chao". After their deity Chaos went rampant, the Seven Servers absorbed Chaos' energies and transformed into the Super Emeralds, while trapping both Chaos and Tikal in the Black Emerald. Following this, the Super Emeralds scattered throughout Mobius, and were later discovered by various parties.
The Super Emeralds were used to transform Chaos into Perfect Chaos, who nearly destroyed Station Square. However, Perfect Chaos was defeated in the end, and the seven Super Emeralds transformed back into the Seven Servers.
Hundreds of years ago in the País Misterioso, a group of seven Chao, known as the "Seven Servers", worshiped the Black Emerald and their protector Chaos. The Seven Servers and Chaos were discovered by Tikal, a member of the Knuckles Clan. When Tikal's father Pachacamac decided to use the local Chao Garden's Chaos Emeralds for their war with the Felidae and Nocturnus Clan, Chaos became enraged and wiped out the Knuckles Clan, excluding Tikal. Realizing Chaos had become corrupt, Tikal and the Seven Servers discovered Chaos' weakness. Draining Chaos of his powers, the Seven Servers transformed into the seven Super Emeralds, while Tikal then imprisoned herself and Chaos within the Black Emerald. The Super Emeralds were then dispersed around Mobius.
Re-discoveries and usages
Hundreds of years later, Nate Morgan located a Super Emerald in the Great Rainforest during his travels and kept it. He also used its energies to forge the Ring of Acorns and later the Power Rings.
After joining the Knothole Freedom Fighters, Nate used the Super Emerald's power to save Mobius. When an energy beam that would destroy the planet if it was not pulled towards a time-displaced Knothole appeared, Nate gave Sonic the Hedgehog the Super Emerald so that he could run fast enough to lure the beam towards Knothole. Due to the Super Emerald's power, Sonic turned into Super Sonic, Ultra Sonic, Solar Sonic, Eco Sonic and Polar Sonic before saving the world. The Super Emerald also permanently altered Sonic's look. Following this, Tails installed Nate's Super Emerald in his newly created Tornado.
Two other Super Emeralds were discovered hundreds of years ago by humans, who used them to power their city Station Square.[note 1] The remaining four Super Emeralds remained undiscovered, situated in the nearby region.
Rise of Chaos
After Dr. Eggman liberated Chaos from the Black Emerald, Eggman went on a quest to obtain the Super Emeralds to transform Chaos into its ultimate form: Perfect Chaos. During his efforts to locate the Master Emerald shards, Knuckles came across two Super Emeralds at some unknown point.[note 2] At some point, Big the Cat found a Super Emerald, though he did not know what it was. His friend Froggy also came across a Super Emerald while Big chased him, which he ingested.
When Sonic, Tails and Knuckles met up, the three faced off against Chaos. The water beast managed to knock Knuckles' Super Emeralds and Master Emerald shards away, which he then absorbed. After Chaos evolved into a new form, Sonic, Tails and Knuckles battled the creature and defeated it. Following this, Dr. Eggman retreated with Chaos to locate more Master Emerald shards and Super Emeralds.
Sonic, Knuckles and Tails soon made their way onto Eggman's Egg Carrier, along with Big, who had been chasing after Froggy on his own. After Froggy spit out the Super Emerald it had swallowed, Eggman snatched it and the one Big had found, and allowed Chaos to absorb them, making Chaos grow even stronger. However, Sonic and Knuckles beat Chaos, causing the Egg Carrier to blow up. Afterwards, the Super Emeralds were brought to Station Square, where they were safely stored in the city along with its other two Super Emeralds to keep the city powered.
Perfect Chaos' attack
Chaos, who survived the battle on the Egg Carrier, sensed the Super Emerald within the Tornado, which Big had crash landed. Before Sonic and Tails could retrieve the Super Emerald, Chaos absorbed it. Chaos then traveled to Station Square, where it absorbed the other six Super Emeralds, transforming into Perfect Chaos and began destroying Station Square and any opposition. With Tikal's help, Sonic absorbed the positive powers of the Super Emeralds to transform into Super Sonic. With his new powers, he neutralized the negative energies in Perfect Chaos while Knuckles electrocuted the beast, causing Chaos to devolve and the seven Super Emeralds to transform back into the Seven Server Chao. They, along with Chaos and Tikal, went off into their own separate zone within the Black Emerald.
- The Super Emeralds are based on the objects of the same name in the extended lock-on video game Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, which were bonus rewards to those that had already collected the Chaos Emeralds in Sonic the Hedgehog 3.
- The Super Emeralds have caused much confusion for fans due to constantly changing colors, names and amount of them. Writer Ian Flynn stated on his message board that it is impossible to reconcile them cleanly. Instead, he stated that the Super Emeralds' history is best surmised with Sonic's and his allies going after the Emeralds and bringing them to Station Square, from where their history then becomes cemented, while the remaining errors can be chalked up to "plot hole(s)".
- The colors of the Super Emeralds changed in almost every appearance. In Sonic Super Special #13 when two Super Emeralds are first knocked out of Knuckles, they are shown to be green and purple. Later, Chaos is shown to have two of Big's emeralds (blue and pink), plus a green and orange one. Additionally, the Super Emerald in Tails's bi-plane is shown as yellow in this issue. When the Super Emeralds next appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog #83, they were all colored green.
- The size of Nate Morgan's Super Emerald has varied. Original depicted as being incredibly large (to the point Nate had trouble carrying it), it was later shown to be the size of a normal Chaos Emerald.
- ↑ Station Square could only have had two of the Super Emeralds at this point, as Nate Morgan had one, Knuckles later found two of them, Big found another while searching for Froggy, and Froggy ingested another at some point after he absorbed Chaos' tail.
- ↑ It is unknown exactly when Knuckles acquired the two Super Emeralds he had in Sonic Super Special #13, but it is possible he discovered them while in the Mystic Ruins. In Sonic the Hedgehog #81, Knuckles discovered two "Chaos Emeralds" in the Mystic Ruins. It is possible these were in fact the Super Emeralds, and he simply mistook them for normal Chaos Emeralds. It is also possible he acquired them after this, as Knuckles was seen losing the two Master Emerald shards along with two Super Emeralds in Sonic the Hedgehog #81.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, "Chao, Chaos & Tikal"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #82, "Door to the Past"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Sonic Super Special #13, "Sonic Adventure"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #67, "Tomb Raider"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #71, "Retro Activity"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #80, "If Wishes Were Acorns"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Sonic the Hedgehog #83, "Menace to Society"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #79, "The Chaos Factor"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #81, "All You Need is a Bit of Chaos"
- ↑ Sonic the Hedgehog #84, "Perfect Chaos"
- ↑ Ian Flynn (29 March 2009). Ask Ian for MAR'09 - I Stop Talking to Myself. BumbleKing Comics. Archived from the original on 2 November 2015.