True to its name, the Spider Mobile is designed after an arachnid. At what should be the head is a gray metallic cockpit, sporting yellow and black hazard stribes and yellow pincers at the end. Between its head and abdomen is a fairly large, golden, pierced ring. Following is a large red bumper for an abdomen with a yellow five-pointed star on it. The Spider Mobile also has six gray, metallic legs with red circular ends for feet.
Features and traits
The Spider Mobile has the ability to shoot out balls of electricity from its pincers. It can also protrude a retractable cord from its abdomen, allowing to hang from ceilings like an actual spider. In addition, its entire body is designed like a Bumper, meaning any form of blunt attack will just bounce off it.
The Spider Mobile, while able to repel blunt attacks, is still vulnerable to damage from sharp objects. Also, the Spider Mobile's bumper is its center of balance and by striking it in this area, it will be propelled away at great distances.
In Sonic Mania. the Spider Mobile was used by Dr. Eggman to battle Sonic, Tails and Knuckles when they infiltrated the Flying Battery. The trio managed to defeat the Spider Mobile however, leaving the rotund scientist to retreat with a jetpack.
Sonic Mania Plus
In Sonic Mania Plus, after Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Mighty and Ray infiltrated the Flying Battery, Dr. Eggman used a rebuilt Spider Mobile to fight the group of heroes. In the end, the Spinder Mobile was defeated, leaving Eggman with no choice but to retreat using his jetpack.
The start of the boss fight is marked when Dr. Eggman drops into the arena in the Spider Mobile. The battle itself takes place on an elevator that seemingly rises endlessly. The Spider Mobile drops down on to the elevator and moves left and right, and occasionally generates electricity between its two pincers from which it will shoot three electric orbs at the player. The Spider Mobile's cockpit is immune to traditional attacks. Occasionally, there will be one of two obstacles on the sides of the elevator where the player can damage it:
- A row of spikes on both sides: In order to damage the Spider Mobile here, the player must hit its bumper enough times so that it is propelled into one of the rows. Alternatively, the player can use the Spin Dash to gain enough speed to hit the bumper a single time toward the spikes.
- A row of spikes on one side and a spinning pole on the other: In order to damage the Spider Mobile here, the player can either hit its bumper enough times so that it is propelled into the spikes, or they can launch themselves off the pole and into the bumper to propel the Spider Mobile into the spikes.
It should be noted that after two propeller axles, there will be spikes on both sides of the arena, making it possible for the player to predict the arena's layout.
After six hits, Eggman's Egg Mobile explodes, and he escapes using a jetpack. The elevator will afterward finally reach the top, leading to a path straight to the Capsule, which marks the end of the Zone.
|Ruby Delusions||Tee Lopes||2:20|
- Just before the battle with the Big Squeeze in Flying Battery Zone Act 1, the blueprints of the Spider Mobile can be seen in the background, foreshadowing the battle with it.
- The Spider Mobile is one of three end of Zone bosses that cannot be hit by traditional means, the other two being the Mean Bean Machine and the Gachapandora.
- The Spider Mobile resembles the Egg Tarantula from the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series.
- Eggman's upside down sprite on the Spider Mobile's cockpit was notably misinterpreted to be a fanmade female character based on Dr. Eggman which received widespread attention by fans, key artists of Sonic Mania and even Sega staff. Fans posted their own artwork, names (including "Eggette", "Omeletta" and "Ovoid Robotnik") and backstory of this character.
- Alpha Gamboa on Twitter. Twitter (28 August 2017). Retrieved on 27 September 2017.
- Michael McWhertor (29 August 2017). Sonic Mania player misreads boss sprite, now we have Dr. Eggman's evil niece. Polygon. Retrieved on 27 September 2017.
- MEET OMELETTE, SONIC MANIA’S ACCIDENTAL NEW BOSS CHARACTER. Sonic Stadium (1 September 2017). Retrieved on 27 September 2017.