Sparkle (スパークル Supākuru?), also known as Blastoid, or Blaster, is an enemy that appears in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and the lock-on game Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles. It is a grenade-shaped Badnik model created by Dr. Robotnik.
The Sparkles are very small Badniks resembling grenades. They have a silver body with a pair of wide eyes, footstools, and an antenna that creates a spark line between it and the Sparkles' upper point.
The Sparkles are only found in Carnival Night Zone, where they usually appear in small groups within open corridors, and can hang from the ceilings or stand on the floor, remaining stationary. Some also come in pairs. After a set amount of time (usually around three seconds), the Sparkles will teleport from one side of the tunnel to the other, emitting four electrical charges as they do so in a forty-five degree angle as well as emitting a lightning pulse while teleporting.
The player has to move carefully when crossing the Sparkle's path. As long as they are not traveling or emitting sparks, the Sparkles can be defeated by being jumped on, or by using the Spin Dash. A Lightning Shield will protect the user from all of the Sparkle's electricity, but not from physical contact with them.
These robots appear to be waterproof.
- In the North American manual for Sonic the Hedgehog 3, the Sparkle is named "Blastoid", despite another Badnik in the game going by that name.
- Flynn, Ian; Sega (8 December 2021). Sonic the Hedgehog Encyclo-speed-ia. Dark Horse Books. p. 52. ISBN 978-1506719276. "Sparkle - It teleports from floor to ceiling, leaving a shower of sparks."
- (in Japanese) ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ３ 公式ガイドブック. Shogakukan. 1 July 1994. p. 12. ISBN 978-4091024794.
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (Sega Genesis) United States instruction booklet, pg. 23.
- Hill, Simon (June 1994). "Carnival Night". The Official Sonic 3 Play Guide. Titan Books. p. 51. ISBN 1-85286-567-9. "Blaster: These appear at random on long and narrow corridors and have a shocking surprise waiting for you."
- Sonic the Comic #35, "Sonic 3 Part 2 - The Zones Cont'd"