Sonic the Hedgehog Level Creator, also known as Sonic Level Creator, Sonic Level Editor or Sonic the Hedgehog Level Player, was an official Flash platform level editor video game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. The game was developed by Mediatonic and published by Sega. It was released under the PlaySEGA web service in September 2009.
The game became unplayable after PlaySEGA closed in June 2011, and later shut down indefinitely in 2013.
The game allowed players to create, play, and share custom levels. Playing uploaded levels was free, but use of the built-in Level Creator was restricted to paying VIP members of PlaySEGA. Upon starting the Level Creator, users were prompted to name their level and choose a size for it, with the options being small, medium, or large. The editor displayed a grid interface. Members could add terrain such as shuttle loops, objects such as Rings and Item Boxes, common gimmicks such as Springs, the mandatory Goal Plate, and hazards such as spikes and Badniks onto the grid. The Level Creator had drag and drop, zoom, copy/paste and undo tools that allowed users to quickly build their levels. VIP members were able to upload their levels onto PlaySEGA once they were saved. The Level Creator then compressed levels into the Sonic the Hedgehog binary format, and imported them into a Flash port of the game.
After a level was published, it then appeared in the PlaySEGA portal, and users were also able to share links for them to be accessed in the Level Player. Level builders were rewarded with an amount of the website currency, PlaySEGA Rings, whenever another user played their level. The gameplay of the levels was identical to Sonic the Hedgehog in that the player controlled Sonic while collecting Rings, speeding through shuttle loops, and destroying Badniks with a Spin Jump or Spin Attack as they advanced toward the Goal Plate. Upon completion of a level, a player would earn PlaySEGA Rings based on their time and score that they were able to add to their total balance.
|[←]/left on||Move left|
|[→]/right on||Move right|
|[↑]/up on||Look up|
|[↓]/down on||Look down|
|[↓]/down on while moving||Spin Attack|
Gimmicks and obstacles
|Title screen||James Vincent||0:09|
|Level cleared||James Vincent||0:07|
- Despite the extensive customization, the Level Editor software was limited to the same gem-themed scenery and tune, regardless of the level.
- The game had several issues with physics, such as Sonic occasionally getting stuck in walls whilst rolling through tunnels and falling out of shuttle loops when approaching them in a Spin Attack.
- Despite sprites of other Animals being present in the game's files, the Ricky is the only Animal that appears in gameplay.
- While not credited in the game itself, James Vincent's name appears in the metadata of the Sonic the Hedgehog Level Creator audio tracks.
- Sonic Level Editor Launches!. Mediatonic. Paul (15 September 2009). Archived from the original on 10 August 2012. Retrieved on 15 October 2020.
- Play Sega: Sonic The Hedgehog Level Creator. IGN. Archived from the original on 24 July 2019. Retrieved on 15 October 2020.
- Play Sega : Sonic Level Creator. Mediatonic. Archived from the original on 24 September 2009.
- Sega releases official Sonic zone creator tool online!. Zone: 0 (13 September 2009). Retrieved on 16 October 2020.
- PlaySEGA - Play Games - Choose from all of the games on PlaySEGA!. PlaySEGA. Archived from the original on 22 May 2011.
- SpeedStarTMQ (24 April 2011). Sonic Level Creator Glitch. YouTube. Retrieved on 20 January 2021.