This article contains information on the manual that was included with copies of Sonic the Hedgehog CD.
Japan (Sega CD)
The story prologue found in the original Japanese manuals:
- A small and beautiful star, the Little Planet. This planet comes over the huge lake called Never Lake for one month of the year.
- That planet, which is called the planet of miracles, is said to be the star where the mysterious stones that can freely control time, the Time Stones, lay dormant.
- The mysterious Time Stones are said to be able to turn a desert into a jungle, and a polluted lake into a beautiful lake by crossing through time.
- Doctor Eggman, the infamous genius scientist, was the one who took notice of the planet.
- "Little Planet, the place where the Time Stones sleep, shall be a great fit for my fortress!" He said. He chained Little Planet over Never Lake and began building a huge fortress. Then, he set out to achieve his ambition for world domination by obtaining all the Time Stones and controlling time freely.
- On the other hand, Sonic, who knew nothing about all this, headed to Never Lake to see Little Planet...
- "What? Sonic has come, you say? ...How convenient."
- After hearing the report, Doctor Eggman's eyes sparkled as he wore a fearless smile.
- When Sonic arrived, what he saw was Little Planet in a miserable state, fixed by the chain stretching from the rock. And when he looked closely, there was Doctor Eggman's face on the slope of the rock... "That blasted Eggman...!"
- "This time, I will pinch and crush you with my scientific power...! Then I will collect the Time Stones, and conquer the world! Hohoho..."
- Ambushed with an eerie laughter, there was Doctor Eggman and a blue flash lurking in his shadow...
- Sonic has been able to easily crush Doctor Eggman's ambitions, but will he be able to free Little Planet in front of him?
- "It's okay! As long as I have courage, I can do anything!"
Rosy the Rascal
- Real Name / Amy Rose
- Gender / Female
- Age / 8
- Personality / Energetic tomboy. Optimistic.
- Special Skills? / Cartomancy, Dowsing
A cheerful girl full of energy who likes mysterious things and fortune-telling. She came to Little Planet by the "divine message of cards," but there she has a "destined" encounter with Sonic. And then...
An evil genius scientist. This time around, his target is the Time Stones. He also schemes for world domination. In order to oppose his rival, Sonic, he has constructed a robot just like him.
- MAIN CPU: LIPS A.I. EGGMAN Custom Chip (3 units built in the head area), logical operation is performed by intra-CPU Fuzzy interaction, each part supported by pseudo-neuro connection
- SUB CPU: Neo Super FX DPS Chip for power control (5 units built in each section of the body), NEXT RISK Chip-III for image correction (8 units built in the eye area *RGB distinction)
- FRAME: Made from monocoque titanium
- COWLING: Made from reinforced blue metal tektite
- MAIN ENGINE: 250cc 4 valve orgone fusion engine, maximum output: 55ps/6800rpm, maximum torque: 7.54Kg-m/4000rpm
- SECONDARY ENGINE: Tesla Power Coil electromagnetic induction power generation, maximum output: 256Kw
- Total Height: 765.4 mm
- Dry Weight: 125.2 kg
The ultimate robot built by Eggman. His abilities are the same as Sonic's, and what's more, he can put out speeds faster than Sonic in an instant. Aligned with Eggman's intentions, he regards Sonic as an enemy.
European (Sega CD)
The English story prologue found in the original European manuals:
- A world that defies time!
- "Sonic, where are you going now?"
- Sonic the Hedgehog looked over his shoulder at Princess Sally, the young hedgehog who was racing hot on his heels.
- "To Never Lake," he called back.
- "Why Never Lake?"
- Sonic slowed down a little so he could explain. "Ever heard of the Little Planet?"
- "Isn't that the tiny world that orbits around Mobius?" Princess Sally asked. "The one with the special stones that alter time and change everything around them? I heard that the planet's full of places that are completely ignored by the passage of time!"
- "Yeah. On the last month of every year, the Little Planet appears over Never Lake. It's that time now, and I'm going to check it out. I bet space travel will be exciting!"
- "With all those Time Stones, I bet you'll try to outrun time itself!" Princess Sally sighed in adoration.
- Sonic didn't reply. He just smiled, eyes gleaming.
- When they arrived at Never Lake, the Little Planet was there as expected. But something was wrong. Where there should have been tall trees and bright flowers, there was nothing but dry sand and jagged rocks. The Little Planet was tethered to a rock with a huge chain and its surface was covered with twisted, gleaming metal.
- "What happened?" Princess Sally wondered.
- Before Sonic could reply, something whooshed over them. Princess Sally shrieked as she was snatched up, and she and her captor vanished in a blue streak of light!
- "What the -- PRINCESS SALLY!"
- It didn't take long for Sonic to realize what had happened. "This has to be one of Dr. Robotnik's tricks!"
- Indeed it was! Upon discovering the location of the Little Planet, the evil Dr. Robotnik and his robot cronies had immediately set about converting it to a giant fortress. When Robotnik saw Sonic approaching, he had dispatched his prize creation, the Metal Sonic, to grab Princess Sally and lure his arch enemy into danger.
- "How convenient!" Robotnik crowed, bouncing about like a malicious rubber ball. "This time my scientific expertise will crush you! Once all the Time Stones are in my hands, I'll be able to manipulate time and conquer the world! HO, HO, HO, HO!"
- Sonic stood on a rock and thought. Robotnik had control on the Little Planet. He had Princess Sally, and soon he would have the Time Stones...but not if Sonic got to them first!
- His adventure on the Little Planet was going to be more exciting and dangerous than he'd planned. It was time to get a move on!