Sonic the Hedgehog 2
The suggestion for a sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog was first brought up by Jim Carrey when he envisioned a second film entry where he got to reprise his role as Dr. Robotnik. Following the fairly successful release of Sonic the Hedgehog, director Jeff Fowler and several other cast members expressed an interest in developing a sequel that incorporated more elements from the Sonic games, with James Marsden in particular being revealed to have signed up for multiple sequels to the film. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was later officially confirmed in May 2020, with most of the previous film's cast set to reprise their roles.
The film is scheduled for a release on 8 April 2022.
- James Marsden as Tom Wachowski
- Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik
- Tika Sumpter as Maddie Wachowski
- Knuckles the Echidna, a serious yet gullible anthropomorphic echidna who can climb walls and glide.
- Randall, a supporting character who will only be interacting with the human characters, and specifically not Sonic.
Before the announcement of the film, Jim Carrey revealed in a promotional interview for Sonic the Hedgehog that he could imagine developing the character of Dr. Robotnik for a sequel and that the expansion of the character could lead up to that, stating "I wouldn't mind going to do another one because it was so much fun, first of all, and a real challenge to try to convince people that I have a triple-digit IQ... There is so much room, you know, Robotnik has not reached his apotheosis." It was later stated by Sonic the Hedgehog director Jeff Fowler in March 2020 that he had planned a potential sequel for Sonic the Hedgehog to involve more elements from the Sonic the Hedgehog video games. It was also stated by James Marsden in March 2020 that he had signed on for multiple sequels to Sonic the Hedgehog.
In April 2020, Marsden revealed that he was interested in a sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog that includes other characters from the Sonic the Hedgehog video game universe, including Tails, who made a mid-credit cameo in Sonic the Hedgehog. Fowler similarly showed an interest in working on a sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog that focused on Sonic and Tails' relationship and the development of Dr. Robotnik. Later in April 2020, Ben Schwartz revealed in an interview that he felt that it made sense for Paramount Pictures not to announce a sequel by that point due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. However, he also mentioned that he was interested in a sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog that would feature Tails and a Robotnik that was more in line with his video game portrayals.
Towards the end of April 2020, Patrick Casey, one of the co-writers for Sonic the Hedgehog, revealed that there had been discussions about a sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog, although Paramount Pictures had yet to green-light it at the time. Casey also mentioned that Carrey was interested in wearing a fat suit in the potential sequel to make his appearance more similar to Dr. Eggman's. It was also hinted by Casey that a sequel could feature Super Sonic and the Chaos Emeralds from the Sonic the Hedgehog video games. Casey hinted as well that the sequel could explore a potential connection between Knuckles the Echidna, a supporting character from the Sonic the Hedgehog video games, and the echidna tribe that appeared in the opening sequence for Sonic the Hedgehog.
On 28 May 2020, the sequel was officially announced to be in development by Paramount Pictures and Sega, with Fowler returning to serve as director, Neal Moritz, Toru Nakahara and Tim Miller serving as producers, and Patrick Casey and Josh Miller, who wrote Sonic the Hedgehog, serving as writers. In addition, Tim Miller, Hajime Satomi, and Haruki Satomi return to serve as executive producers and Neal Mortiz, Toby Ascher, and Toru Nakahara serve as producers, having co-produced the previous film alongside Takeshi Ito. Production is expected to start in March 2021 under the codename "Emerald Hill". Later, on 8 December 2020, Tyson Hesse, an artist who previously contributed to Sonic the Hedgehog, would return to work on the Sonic the Hedgehog sequel. Joining him were also storyboard artist Fill Marc, whose first live-action project would be this film. Marc's exact words were "I wrapped up work on Lower Decks Season 2 last week. Excited 2 announce I’ve been working on the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Story Team with Jeff Fowler and Tyson Hesse at Blur Studio. My first live action feature coming in 2022".
On 10 February 2021, the official title for the sequel was revealed to be Sonic the Hedgehog 2 by Paramount Pictures on YouTube. Douglas Einar Olsen was also announced to be part of the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 storyboard team during the title announcement.
In January 2021, Tika Sumpter announced that she would reprise her role as Maddie Wachowski for the film. As of January 2021, the crew also held auditions for Knuckles. Also, production is searching for an A-List human cameo to make an appearance in the film. Names like Samuel L. Jackson and Chris Rock were thrown around, however the big name cameo is still up in the air at this time. In early February 2021, The Iluminerdi reported that Jason Momoa had been offered the role of Knuckles.
The filming for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is set to take place between March 2021 and May 2021 and is expected to take place in Vancouver and Hawaii. Director Jeff Fowler later confirmed via Twitter on 15 March 2021 that the production of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 had begun. Filming concluded in Vancouver on 12 May 2021.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is scheduled for a public release on 8 April 2022. It was later confirmed by Paramount Pictures that both Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 would be released on Paramount+ with the latter being added after its theatrical release.
The first teaser for the film was given a remix of Emerald Hill Zone's music, the iconic first Zone of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Masato Nakamura, the composer for the first two main Sonic the Hedgehog games, expressed excitement for his song appearing in the film: "When I composed the music for "Sonic the Hedgehog 1&2", I tried to write a soundtrack for a movie. I imagined the game like a movie. 30 years later, my music for the game becomes a part of the movie soundtrack of "Sonic the Hedgehog". Literally, it's a dream comes true."
- Kroll, Justin (28 May 2020). 'Sonic the Hedgehog' Sequel in the Works. Variety. Archived from the original on 29 May 2020. Retrieved on 29 January 2020.
- Rebecca Rubin (23 July 2020). ‘A Quiet Place 2,’ ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Delayed Until 2021. Variety. Retrieved on 23 July 2020.
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2022) - Title Announcement - Paramount Pictures. YouTube. Paramount Pictures (10 February 2021). Retrieved on 10 February 2021.
- Craddock, Ryan (27 January 2020). The Sonic Movie's Not Even Out Yet, But Jim Carrey Is Up For Doing A Sequel. Nintendo. Archived from the original on 27 January 2020. Retrieved on 29 January 2021.
- Perine, Aaron (6 March 2020). Sonic the Hedgehog Star James Marsden Confirms He's Signed on for Multiple Sequels. Comicbook.com. Archived from the original on 7 March 2020. Retrieved on 29 January 2021.
- Sandwell, Ian (18 January 2021). Sonic the Hedgehog 2 release date, cast and everything you need to know. Digital Spy. Archived from the original on 29 January 2021. Retrieved on 29 January 2021.
- Manoj, Krishna (9 February 2021). Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Jason Momoa Offered Knuckles Voiceover Role: Exclusive. TheIlluminerdi.com. Archived from the original on 9 February 2021. Retrieved on 9 February 2021.
- Auberge Vancouver Hotel on Twitter. Twitter (26 March 2021). Archived from the original on 26 March 2021. Retrieved on 26 March 2021. “Right outside our front doors setting up & getting ready to shoot tonight: #SonicMovie2 with #JimCarrey #JamesMarsden @downtownvan @yvrshoots”
- Kitsuoi on Twitter. Twitter (20 April 2021). Archived from the original on 20 April 2021. Retrieved on 20 April 2021. “Here is another view of Dr. Eggman flying in the air recorded by pinkupyour_life from Instagram.”
- Deschamps, Marc (January 26, 2021). Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Will See Tika Sumpter Return. Comicbook.com. Archived from the original on 27 January 2021. Retrieved on 29 January 2021.
- Tails' Channel (20 April 2021). Sonic, Tails and Knuckles prop sighted during filming for Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Tails' Channel. Archived from the original on 21 April 2021.
- Gatewood, Jon (22 December 2020). Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Production Start Date Uncovered And New Knuckles' Details: Exclusive. The Illuminerdi. Archived from the original on 14 January 2021. Retrieved on 29 January 2021.
- Jennings, Collier (28 February 2020). Sonic the Hedgehog: Early Drafts Included Super Sonic. Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on 29 February 2020. Retrieved on 29 January 2021.
- Bishop, Rollin (12 April 2020). Sonic the Hedgehog Star James Marsden on What He'd Like to See in a Potential Sequel. GAMING. Archived from the original on 15 January 2021. Retrieved on 10 February 2021.
- Bennett, Tara (4 October 2020). Sonic the Hedgehog director reveals deleted scenes, teases Tails & sequel plans. SYFY WIRE. Archived from the original on 10 February 2021. Retrieved on 10 February 2021.
- Hermanns, Grant (15 April 2020). CS Interview: Ben Schwartz on Sonic the Hedgehog Success & Future. ComingSoon.net. Archived from the original on 10 February 2021. Retrieved on 10 February 2021.
- Taylor-Foster, Kim (23 April 2020). Jim Carrey Wants to Wear a Fat Suit for ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Sequel. Fandom. Archived from the original on 10 February 2021. Retrieved on 10 February 2021.
- Director's Guild of Canada. Archived from the original on 20 November 2020. Retrieved on 22 November 2020.
- Tails' Channel (8 December 2020). Sonic Movie designer Tyson Hesse and storyboard artist Fill Marc to work on upcoming sequel at Blur Studio. Archived from the original on 10 February 2021. Retrieved on 8 December 2020.
- Douglas Einar Olsen on Twitter. Twitter (10 February 2021). Archived from the original on 16 March 2021. Retrieved on 16 March 2021.
- Kitsuoi🚗🚘🚖🚙 on Twitter. Twitter (26 January 2021). Archived from the original on 29 January 2021.
- Jeff Fowler on Twitter. Twitter (16 March 2021). Archived from the original on 16 March 2021. Retrieved on 16 March 2021.
- Azul 35 (1 March 2021). Sonic movie series confirmed to be part of Paramount Plus. Tails' Channel. Archived from the original on 26 March 2021. Retrieved on 26 March 2021.
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 official teaser. Twitter.com (10 February 2021). Retrieved on 20 February 2021.
- Sonic Stadium: Inclusion of Sonic 2 Music in upcoming Sonic Movie "Dream Come True" for the game's composer. SonicStadium.org (18 February 2021). Archived from the original on 9 February 2021. Retrieved on 20 February 2021.