Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is a 2013 remastered version of the original Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Mega Drive. It was developed by Christian Whitehead and Simon Thornley for the iOS and Android, following their remastered digital re-releases of Sonic the Hedgehog CD and Sonic the Hedgehog. It was released on 12 December 2013 for both operating systems simultaneously worldwide.
The iOS version also serves as a free update to the earlier mobile port of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
After the success of Christian Whitehead's Sonic the Hedgehog CD port in 2011, they immediately started production on reworking Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for smartphones. This would be the first Sonic game for the Android phone.
Differences from the original
- Knuckles was included as a playable character in the game (like in Knuckles the Echidna in Sonic the Hedgehog 2) without the need for the Sega Mega Drive cartridge's unique "lock-on" technology between Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic & Knuckles.
- There is an entirely new Starting Menu as previously seen in the 2013 version of Sonic 1.
- The player can now save their progress and Chaos Emeralds (infinite continues were provided as a result).
- Tails can now fly and airlift Sonic (or Knuckles).
- Sonic now transforms into Super Sonic if the jump button is tapped again during a jump with at least fifty rings, rather than by simply jumping.
- A Time Attack gameplay mode is added. In addition, it features an exclusive new Zone called Boss Attack Zone which requires the player to defeat all of the game's bosses.
- The game features a new multiplayer mode.
- Special Stages are now in 3D-rendered environments.
- The game is now rendered at a full 60FPS.
- There is a fully remastered soundtrack.
- Hidden Palace Zone, which was included as a scrapped zone during the development of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, was brought back, complete with its own original boss. It uses the Mystic Cave Zone's two-player music.
- The player can access a secret sub-menu within the debug menu that allows them to use the elemental shields from Sonic the Hedgehog 3.
- The ending now has a post-credits scene where it shows the Death Egg falling towards Angel Island, and then shows Eggman throwing a hissy fit while Knuckles is hiding in a bush similar to the packaging of Sonic the Hedgehog 3, foreshadowing that game.
- Level Select - Start the game in "NO SAVE MODE". When the Sega logo appears, tap the S, E, G and A letters logo (in that order) and when the title screen appears, touch the screen with two fingers to access Level Select. On iOS, this used to be impossible to execute beyond the letter tapping until it was fixed in a later update.
- Debug Mode - After activating the Level Select, go to the Sound Test and play the following tracks in order: 01, 09, 09, 02, 01, 01, 02, 04. Then, during gameplay, tap the top left corner of the screen to toggle/untoggle Debug Mode.
- Game Config - To enable it, play sound "00" three times in the Sound Test to bring up the "Game Config" menu, which includes the following gameplay options the player can adjust:
- Player: Allows the player to toggle between which characters they may play as (Sonic and Tails, Sonic alone, Tails alone, Knuckles alone or Knuckles and Tails).
- Items: Lets the player toggle the behaviour of the Monitors in the game: all original Sonic the Hedgehog 2 items, Random which grants all of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 items, all of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 items (which also replaces the standard Shield Item with one of the three elemental shields first seen in Sonic 3), Random which grants all of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 items and Sonic the Hedgehog 3.
- Flight: Toggles whether Tails can use his flying signature ability or not.
- Air Cap: Toggles the running speed behaviour while in mid-air.
- Special Stage - By selecting sounds "00" through "07" in the Sound Test, the player can change which Special Stage the player goes to before selecting to play the Special Stage. Playing sound "00" and selecting Special Stage takes the player to the Special Stage #1, playing sound "01" and selecting Special Stage takes the player to the Special Stage #2, and so on.
- Proto Palace Zone - At the Level Select screen Sound Test after enabling Debug Mode, play the following tunes in order: 03, 03, 03, 0B, 10, 10, 10, 04 and select Hidden Palace Zone.
|Quick Run||5,000 XP||Complete Emerald Hill Zone Act 1 in under 35 seconds.|
|100% Chemical Free||5,000 XP||Complete Chemical Plant without going underwater.|
|Early Bird Special||10,000 XP||Collect all the Chaos Emeralds before Chemical Plant.|
|Superstar||5,000 XP||Complete any act as Super Sonic.|
|Hit it Big||5,000 XP||Get a jackpot on the Casino Night slot machines.|
|Bop Non-stop||10,000 XP||Defeat any boss in 8 consecutive hits without touching the ground.|
|Perfectionist||10,000 XP||Get a 'Perfect Bonus' by collecting every Ring in an Act.|
|A Secret Revealed||10,000 XP||Find and complete Hidden Palace Zone.|
|Head 2 Head||10,000 XP||Win a 2P Versus game against a friend.|
|Metropolis Master||10,000 XP||Complete any Metropolis Zone Act without getting hurt.|
|Scrambled Egg||10,000 XP||Defeat Dr. Eggman's Boss Attack mode in under 7 minutes.|
|Beat the Clock||10,000 XP||Complete the Time Attack mode in less than 45 minutes.|
- Shaun Musgrave (16 December 2013). 'Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Remastered' Review - Setting Right What Once Went Wrong. TouchArcade. Retrieved on 23 November 2017.
- Malcom Owen (21 November 2017). Sega releases 'Sonic the Hedgehog 2' free on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV to celebrate 25th anniversary. AppleInsider. Retrieved on 23 November 2017.
- Peter Glagowski (21 Novemer 2017). Sonic the Hedgehog 2 joins Sega's free mobile game initiative. Retrieved on 23 November 2017.