The gameplay is almost identical to that of the original version for the Sega Mega Drive. However, there are a few additional features, such as an ability to resume the game from the last level played, submitting high scores to a national league table, and an "Attack Mode" where the game's bosses are played against in sequential order. There is also a small green bar at the top of the screen where the player's score can be found, along with the number of Rings and lives.
- Emerald Hill Zone
- Chemical Plant Zone
- Aquatic Ruin Zone
- Casino Night Zone
- Hill Top Zone
- Mystic Cave Zone
- Oil Ocean Zone
- Metropolis Zone
- Sky Chase Zone
- Wing Fortress Zone
- Death Egg Zone
- Start from the beginning (最初から始める saisho kara hajimeru?): Begins the game from the first Zone.
- Start from the middle (途中から始める tochū kara hajimeru?): Begins the game from the last completed Zone.
- Stage select (ステージセレクト sutēji serekuto?): Allows the player to select any previously beaten Zone to play through.
- Attack mode (アタックモード atakku mōdo?): Here, the game's bosses are played against in the order they appear in normal gameplay.[note 1]
- Ranking (ランキング rankingu?): Displays the online leaderboards with the highest scores.
- This game mode is only available on i-mode 903 series mobile phones.
- Sonic Cafe (Japanese) (archived) at