This article contains information on the manuals that were included with copies of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
The English story prologue found in the original western manuals:
- Find the Chaos Emeralds!
- Miles "Tails" Prower, the Fox, can't sit still when Sonic's around. Ever since Miles was a baby fox, he's dreamed of being like Sonic. He loves to run after Sonic, waving his 2 tails behind him, trying to keep up with his hero!
- Mostly, Sonic lets him trail along. But sometimes, just to show off, Sonic explodes in a burst of super speed and leaves him behind. But Miles Doesn't give up He whirls his tails like a helecopter rotor and takes off flying until he catches up!
- All the animals call Miles by his nickname, "Tails" because of his 2 special tails. And one day they saw an astonishing feat...
- They were all together in the forest, watching Sonic perform. Sonic would run, spin and jump in his Super Spin Attack. Then "Tails" would whirl like a turbo engine and blast off in his Super Dash Attack. What a showoff!
- Suddenly, "Tails" just couldn't help himself. He took a running start, curled up his tails, and - whoosh - he was spinning like Sonic!
- But now something frightening is happening. Sonic's friends are disappearing. In their place, nasty metal robots are popping up all over the island. The mad scientist Dr. Robotnik is at it again!
- This time, Robotnik's planning a global disaster. He needs workers to create a doomsday machine that can take over the world. So he's trapping all the animals, turning them into robots, and forcing them to build his ultimate weapon, the Death Egg!
- Robotnik now rules the factories, refineries, and cities! He's grabbed control of everything - except the 7 Chaos Emeralds. These magnificent gems are believed to hold exceptional powers. With them, Robotnik could have the entire world in his grasp. And he'd never let go!
- The Chaos Emeralds are buried somewhere on the island. Only one tough dude with spiky hair has the speed to find them first!
- Help Sonic stop the devious scheme of the demented scientist! Spin like a speedball through space. Grab Power Sneakers and loop 'til you're dizzy. Twirl over twisting speedways and rocket through tunnels. Balance and blast across a bubbling ocean of oil!
- Find the Emeralds, free the animals, and squash Robotnik forever!
A translation of the story prologue from the Japanese manual:
- Along the way of one of his impulsive adventures, Sonic suddenly discovered the island.
- It was a small island, with pleasant green fields of grass spread throughout it.
- "All right, it's time to take a little break." he said.
- Drawing an arc of white exhaust, Sonic slid his favorite plane, the Tornado, down toward the island's silhouette…and almost as if it were following him, a shiny little figure came down and suspiciously disappeared on the other side of the island.
- [The Legend of West Side Island]
- They say that a very long time ago, the people of this island used mysterious stones to advance their civilization, and they achieved great prosperity. However, when those people people tried to use the stones in the wrong way, their prosperity vanished overnight. After that, they say that the gods sealed the stones away somewhere on the island.
- One day, not long after Sonic had been on the island, Sonic noticed something tagging along to his rear. He turned around to see a little fox. When the fox realized he had been seen, he scurried into the shadows under the palm trees. But when Sonic turned and ran off, the fox followed behind him as fast as he could.
- After a while, Sonic said "Well, he can do whatever he wants." and left it at that, not taking particular interest in whatever it was the fox was doing.
- "Miles Prower" was the fox's name. Miles actually had two tails, which is why the animals on the island all called him "Tails". They teased him a lot because of those two tails. But when he saw Sonic come to the island, he changed.
- "I want to be cool, too!" he resolved. After that, he started tagging along behind Sonic for all hours of the day.
- Then came that one early afternoon. Miles found a beautiful aeroplane down at the beach. Miles loved all sorts of machines and vehicles, and he practically tripped over himself running towards the plane.
- That slim fuselage, and those wings that could cut like a knife! Fascinated by this beautiful craft, Miles ran around to see the other side, and there he stopped dead in his tracks. Sonic was taking a nap under the wing. Miles turned right around and went back to the other side of the plane, and then it happened…
- A flash shown off in the woods.
- Then came an enormous explosion, and up rose a pillar of fire after it. Shards of rock and pieces of tree came showering down from the sky. Miles, who had narrowly escaped being blown away by crawling under the plane, opened his eyes. Reflected in them was the the red of the burning forest, and robots digging at the ground as though they were looking for something. Miles couldn't figure out what was happening.
- The explosions continued ceaselessly, and the island was blanketed in flames. Miles was at a loss as he looked on, but then he felt the presence of someone standing next to him. He looked over, and there was Sonic glaring at the burnt up forest.
- "Eggman, you bastard!" mumbled Sonic as he kicked up some sand and ran off into the forest.
- Something had started, something truly incredible. This was the hunch Miles had as he reflexively took off in the same direction as Sonic.
- "Uwa—Ha Ha Ha Ha!!"
- From the forest echoed that all too familiar vulgar laugh. It's him - the one and only Dr. Eggman.
- "I've found it at last! The place where the Chaos Emeralds sleep! Following Sonic worked out perfectly! Now I should be able to finish my ultimate weapon: The Death Egg! I"ll be waiting for you, Sonic! This time, my friend, this time I will beat you, and all the Emeralds will be mine! Then I shall be the conqueror of the entire world! Gya— Ha Ha Ha Ha!"
- The stage is set. Now it's time for you to bring the curtain to a close on this adventure once and for all!