Gotta go fast.
— Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic is an anthropomorphic hedgehog with predominantly blue fur. He has seven quills that extend from the back of his head, with six on his back and a tail. His muzzle fur is peach while his hands and belly are white.
For attire, he wears a pair of red Puma sneakers with white soles on the bottom and white socks.
Sonic has somewhat easy-going demeanor, as during a fight with Robotnik, he sarcastically remarks that he took 9,000,000 steps that day. He also has a desire to constantly move at high speeds.
Powers and abilities
Sonic has the ability to run at high speeds that exceed 760 miles per hour. Sonic can move so fast that he can create sonic booms and other moving objects can appear still from his perspective. In addition to this, Sonic can curl up into a ball as a protective mechanism to attack others with his speed or create soft landings for himself. Additionally, Sonic has an unknown connection with electricity, as each of his individual quills are charged with electricity, and if he creates a sonic boom while charged with electricity, he can create an EMP burst. One of these knocked out all the power across the Pacific Northwest.
On December 10 2018, a teaser poster featuring a silhouette Sonic was released. The design was likened to those from the 2019 video game film adaptation, Pokémon: Detective Pikachu. The reveal of Sonic's redesign received mostly negative responses from critics and fans alike. Naoto Ohshima, the original designer of Sonic, likewise expressed surprise at the design.
On March 5 2019, a first view in Sonic's full design was revealed, which the fans gave mixed reactions. Yuji Naka, former head of Sonic Team, explained on Twitter what he thought about it: "I feel like, with this Sonic here, visually, the important thing to look at is the head and body ratio and the roundness of the abdomen. I wonder if they couldn't have balanced them a little bit better...These images of Sonic aren't coming officially from the movie-making source; I think it's possible they're being strategically leaked, though getting people talking about it 'because it's bad' can't be good for Sonic's existing IP." He continued, "Well, there's also the possibility that this is fan-made, though even so, I'd still prefer it if they'd put some gloves on him. Seeing him bare-handed is quite a shock."
On 30 April 2019, the first official trailer for the film was released, as well as its official poster. The trailer received mixed-to-negative reactions from the fans and media, mostly because of Sonic's humanoid looking design, which has also been described as adjacent to the uncanny valley. On 2 May 2019, it was announced by Jeff Fowler that Sonic would receive a redesign after receiving criticism on the first trailer release.
- "Uh... meow?"
- —Sonic meeting Tom Wachowski
- "Whoo, look at this! I took nine million steps today."
- —Sonic when surrounded by missiles atop a skyscraper
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Schwartz, Terri (10 December 2018). Sonic The Hedgehog Movie First Look: Check Out the Exclusive Official Poster. IGN. Retrieved on 10 December 2018.
- ↑ Webb, Kevin (10 December 2018). A 'Sonic the Hedgehog' movie is on the way, but fans think his new design looks awful. Business Insider. Retrieved on 13 December 2018.
- ↑ Chalk, Andy (10 December 2018). The first Sonic the Hedgehog live action movie poster is creepy as hell. PC Gamer. PC Gamer. Retrieved on 12 December 2018.
- ↑ Barder, Ollie. The Original Creators Behind 'Sonic The Hedgehog' React To The New Live-Action Movie Reveal. Forbes. Retrieved on 13 December 2018.
- ↑ The Internet, And Sonic's Creator, React To Sonic's Movie Design. Kotaku (05 March 2019). Retrieved on 02 May 2019.
- ↑ The New ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ Trailer Doesn’t Get The Reaction Paramount Hoped For. CartoonBrew (30 April 2019). Retrieved on 3 May 2019.
- ↑ Steven Asarch (30 April 2019). ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ Movie Trailer Is No Gangster’s Paradise. Retrieved on 9 May 2019.
- ↑ Jeff Fowler on Twitter. Twitter (2 May 2019). Retrieved on 2 May 2019.