Sonic the Hedgehog is an American comic book series based on Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog video game franchise and the successor of Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog. It is distributed by IDW Publishing and began on 4 April 2018.
The comic series began with the first four issues being released each week in April, followed by a monthly release of subsequent issues starting in May 2018.
- Writers: Evan Stanley, Ian Flynn
- Cover artists: Aaron Hammerstrom, Abby Bulmer, Adam Bryce Thomas, Aleah Baker, Ben Bates, Bracardi Curry, Dan Schoening, Devin Kraft, Diana Skelly, Edwin Huang, Elaina Unger, Eric Lide, Evan Stanley, Gigi Dutreix, Heather Breckel, Jack Lawrence, Jamal Peppers, Jennifer Hernandez, Joana Lafuente, Jonathan Gray, Kieran Gates, Lamar Wells, Leonardo Ito, Luis Antonio Delgado, Matt Herms, Natalie Haines, Nathalie Fourdraine, Nibroc.Rock, Priscilla Tramontano, Rafa Knight, Reggie Graham, Ryan Jampole, Thomas Rothlisberger, Tracy Yardley, Tyson Hesse, Valentina Pinto
- Art: Adam Bryce Thomas, Priscilla Tramontano
- Lineart: Adam Bryce Thomas, Bracardi Curry, Evan Stanley, Jack Lawrence, Jamal Peppers, Jennifer Hernandez, Priscilla Tramontano, Thomas Rothlisberger, Tracy Yardley
- Pencilers: Aaron Hammerstrom, Diana Skelly, Evan Stanley, Lamar Wells, Tracy Yardley
- Inkers: Bob Smith, Gigi Dutreix, Jim Amash, John Wycough, Maria Keane, Matt Froese, Priscilla Tramontano, Reggie Graham
- Colorists: Bracardi Curry, Elaina Unger, Matt Herms, Heather Breckel, Leonardo Ito, Reggie Graham, Valentina Pinto
- Letterers: Corey Breen, Nathan Widick, Shawn Lee
- Assistant editors: Megan Brown, Riley Farmer
- Editors: David Mariotte, Joe Hughes, Riley Farmer
- Managing Editor: Lauren LaPera
- Editor-in-Chief: John Barber
- Publishers: Chris Ryall, Greg Goldstein, Nachie Marsham
- Presidents: Chris Ryall, Greg Goldstein, Jerry Bennington
- VPs: Robbie Robbins
- Art directors: Jack Rivera, Robbie Robbins, Shawn Lee
- Licensors: Aaron Webber, Anoulay Tsai, Mai Kiyotaki, Michael Cisneros, Sandra Jo, Sonic Team
The Sonic the Hedgehog comic series was first announced on 21 July 2017 when the Sega and IDW Publishing would be collaborating together to create a new Sonic comic following the cancellation of the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comic two days prior. The first official creative summit was conducted on 3 August 2017.revealed that
During the New York Comic Con 2017 event, more information regarding IDW's Sonic comic was revealed on promotional flyers (drawn by Tyson Hesse, known for his work on the Archie Sonic comics and Sonic Mania), where it was revealed that the comic will contain characters old and new, and feature brand new stories. Following this, Ian Flynn, former writer of the Archie Sonic comics, was confirmed to be the lead writer for the IDW Sonic comics. On December 28, 2017 though, Flynn revealed that none of the characters he created for Archie Comics will appear in the IDW Sonic comics.
On 11 January 2018, IDW opened an official family-friendly IDW Sonic Facebook group, called “IDW Sonic Comics Squad“. This page will feature updates, art reveals, link to the IDW editorials and more related to the IDW Sonic series. A few days later, on 16 January 2018, it was revealed that Tracy Yardley, a long-time Sonic artist at Archie Comics, would be joining the IDW Sonic team as well. As more information about the first four issues went public, it was revealed that each of the four first issues will feature a different artist, and then rotating art teams would be taking over once the book went monthly.
After its introduction, IDW Sonic Comics Squad revealed that a new character was set be announced on January 24. After five days, this character was revealed to be Tangle the Lemur. On that very same day, the solicitations for the first four issues were revealed.
In an interview with Game Informer, Flynn established that IDW Sonic was a brand new continuity with no connection to the Archie Comics. He further stated that the comics will, at the moment, only draw inspiration from the Sonic game continuity and will go in a fresh new direction not dictated by an already-established canon. Flynn also stated that older elements and fringes of the franchise might be incorporated into the comics at some point, but for the beginning of the series, he wanted to focus on the core style of storytelling for the Sonic series. Flynn also revealed bits of the storyline for the first few issues, which will follow up on Sonic Forces and will deal with the fallout of the War to Take Back the Planet. As for the Sega relationship, it was revealed that they this time around are more directly involved with the stories themselves, namely by offering suggestions here and there on where to tweak things. In return, Flynn makes sure that the comic elements fit into the Sonic universe.
On 21 February 2018, IDW opened its pre-orders for the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series. On the same day, the IDW Sonic Comics Squad surmised the returning Archie Comic artists for the IDW Sonic series, with Matt Herms being among them. It was also revealed that Sega had placed restrictions on the comics (term like “Mobian” or any similar term has been banned and the only “Mobile” that is allowed is the Eggmobile), that no crossover had been planned, and that the series will be a mix of various genres.
During a Q&A on Facebook, it was revealed that the Sonic the Hedgehog series would be an ongoing title with no end date determined.
On 16 March 2018, at "Gotta Go Fast: The Official Sonic the Hedgehog Panel", the official Sonic the Hedgehog panel at the 2018 SXSW Gaming convention, Sega announced the "Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Series Exclusive Bundle", which was a limited edition bundle up for pre-order on their online store, Sega Shop. This bundle included IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog #1-#4, an additional exclusive variant cover of IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog #4, an exclusive mystery t-shirt (both of which were only available on the Sega Shop), and digital downloads of Sonic the Hedgehog #1-#4 as they were released. The bundle was released on 1 May 2018 and costed $40 USD. It was also possible to select a shirt size from the following options: Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, and 2X-Large.
On 23 August 2018, it was announced at Gamescom 2018 that the-then upcoming Nintendo Switch app would feature the IDW comics from launch.
In October 2018, Mana Books began releasing European French translations of IDW Publishing's Sonic the Hedgehog graphic novel compilations. The releases follow the same format as their American counterparts. In April 2019, ECC Ediciones stated that they would begin releasing Spanish translations of the comic series beginning 14 May 2019, under their Kodomo line. It was later stated that the comic series will be translated to Russian with plans to expand it to other languages. On 21 November 2019, it was announced by IDW Publishing that in June 2020, they will also publish Spanish-language editions of the graphic novel compilations of the comic series. On 27 March 2020, it was announced that the comic will be published in Japan by Wise Publishing. On 4 March 2021, it was announced that the comic will be published in Brazil by Novo Século, under their Geektopia line.
On 27 May 2021, during Sonic the Hedgehog 30th Anniversary, it was announced that IDW Publishing would start June with a "Sonic Month", where a new comic or graphic novel would be released every week. Every Saturday would be tagged as "#SonicSaturday" where special content was planned just for Sonic fans, and on 9 June 2021, a major announcement for sweepstakes for a big Sonic collection was made.
The comic is set in its own continuity, which is heavily inspired by the Sonic the Hedgehog video games' universe. Sonic the Hedgehog and his friends live on a planet inhabited entirely by anthropomorphic animals like themselves, which is constantly under threat from the evil human scientist Dr. Eggman, who wants to take over with his army of Badniks and establish the Eggman Empire.
Prior to the start of the comic, the battle between Sonic and the Eggman Empire has been going on for quite some time, with the heroes having fought Eggman multiple times before. Many of these encounters in the past of the comic's universe bear a strong resemblance to those that took place in past Sonic video games. When the comic's storyline begins, Sonic and his friends are dealing with the fallout caused by Eggman's recent conquest of the planet, as depicted in Sonic Forces, which was the most recent Sonic game at the time.
After Sonic the Hedgehog and his allies defeated Dr. Eggman and liberated the world from his Eggman Empire during the Eggman War, the evil doctor went missing. However, his Badniks remained. Initially directionless, these robots eventually began launching coordinated attacks on villages, suggesting that someone had taken control of them. Sonic thus begins traveling from town to town to stop the Badniks, receiving help from both old friends and new allies (like Tangle the Lemur) along the way.
With the aid of the Chaotix Detective Agency, Sonic finds the missing Dr. Eggman, only to discover that he is suffering from amnesia and has become a model citizen. Just as Sonic and the Chaotix settle on leaving Eggman to his new life however, Shadow shows up with Rouge to destroy the Doctor after hearing him mention Eggman Land. Sonic, however, manages to convince Shadow to give the amnesiac Eggman a chance to prove his benevolence. In the aftermath, Eggman shows that the Eggman Land he mentioned was but an amusement park for children, thus clearing out any doubts about his amnesia being legit. In the meantime, the ringleader behind the Badnik attacks is making his next move. Sonic and Tails reach the Egg Fleet with the Tornado in order to get some information but as soon as the hedgehog enters the battleship, he discovers that the ringleader is Neo Metal Sonic, who assumed Eggman's appearance to lead the Eggman Empire and finish Eggman's incomplete plans. Amy and Knuckles were eventually informed and they decided to reunite the Resistance to stop Neo's scheme. Sonic soon after infiltrates one of Eggman's bases with the aid of Silver and a new ally named Whisper, where they find out that Neo Metal Sonic has conquered Angel Island in order to seize the Master Emerald.
Assembling their various allies, Sonic and the Resistance launch an attack on Angel Island in an attempt to liberate the island and stop Neo Metal Sonic. Shortly after arriving, Sonic and Knuckles confront Neo, who used the Master Emerald to become Super Neo Metal Sonic. In the meantime, the Resistance manage to free Angel Island. However, when Shadow intervened with Sonic and Knuckles' battle with Neo Metal Sonic, the robot managed to transform into a even more dangerous form: Master Overlord. Though Master Overlord puts up a bigger challenge for the heroes, he is eventually brought down by the combined strength of everyone and Angel Island is restored once more. Afterward, Knuckles, as the Resistance's commander, disbands the organization, having concluded that it has served its purpose, so he can remain on Angel Island and guard the Master Emerald. Sonic accepts Knuckles' choice and everyone eventually sets off from Angel Island.
In the meantime, unbeknownst to Sonic and the others, Eggman has been kidnapped by Rough the Skunk and Tumble the Skunk and brought before Dr. Starline, a Eggman fanatic who wishes to return Eggman to his former glory, and is eventually successful. After providing Eggman with the seven Chaos Emeralds, Starline is taken in by Eggman as his newest lackey. Eggman afterwards goes to work creating the Metal Virus, a virus that can convert organics into robotic slaves. To keep Sonic distracted, Eggman and Starline lure Sonic and Tails into the clutches of Rough and Tumble after they learn of Eggman's abduction. While the heroes are able to beat the skunk brothers, they disappear before they can ask them some questions. Suspecting that Eggman was back to his old ways, Sonic goes in search of answers. Along the way, Sonic met and clashed with Dr. Starline, who almost succeeded in destroying Sonic. As he returned to Eggman though, Starline was reprimanded for trying to kill Sonic (and in the wrong way no less), which Eggman saw as his privilege. Meanwhile Sonic resumes his search for Eggman. While hacking into the Eggnet with Amy in an abandoned Eggman base where they discover Eggman's plans for a Faceship, the duo come under attack by Rough and Tumble. During the subsequent fight, due to Eggman's manipulations, Rough and Tumble unwillingly let themselves get infected with a batch of the Metal Virus, which turns them into Zombots. While Sonic is able to contain Rough and Tumble by knocking them into a pit, Sonic gets infected with the Metal Virus in the process.
Returning to Tails for aid, Sonic and his friends discover that Sonic can burn off his infection and keep it in check with his speed. Not wanting to risk his friends' safety and let them get infected by the Metal Virus as well, Sonic leaves to find Eggman's Faceship, which they have concluded will be used to distribute the Metal Virus. However, Sonic is too late, as Eggman has already taken off in his Chaos Emerald-powered Faceship with his lackeys and begun spreading the Metal Virus with his ship by administering it in key locations. As the doctor carries out his plan, the Chaotix's home city receives a batch of the Metal Virus, creating a Zombot outbreak. While Sonic and the Chaotix are able to evacuate a handful of survivors with the aid of the Restoration, Charmy falls victim to the Zombot hordes. Soon after, Eggman creates another Zombot outbreak in Cream's home village in order to lure Sonic into the Zombots' grasp. However, Eggman soon discovers that the Zombots are beginning to ignore his commands, presumably due to a mutation in the Metal Virus coding. While Eggman is unconcerned by this development, Starline starts to get worried and begins to second-guess Eggman's brilliance. Meanwhile, Sonic manages to help Cream and Vanilla evacuate while Gemerl safeguards the family. In the process, Cheese and Chocola get turned into Zombots. Soon after, Sonic heads towards Sunset City to help Team Dark intercept the Faceship. By the time Sonic arrives however, a Zombot outbreak has already erupted, leaving him and Team Dark to rescue as many civilians as possible from an overwhelming horde of Zombots. During the commotion though, Sonic begins to feel the fatigue from his constant running. Meanwhile, Shadow gets overwhelmed by the Zombots and is turned into a Zombot himself. By the time Sonic arrives at the site, he is attacked by the Zombot Shadow. Sonic manages to keep Shadow at bay while Rouge drives off with the uninfected civilians. Omega stays behind to fight the remaining Zombots but soon gets torn apart. Silver and Tails come to Sonic and Omega's rescue, leaving Shadow behind. Tails later reveals that he created a sensor for Sonic to give more insight as to how his speed combats the Metal Virus. Meanwhile, Starline begins to devise a plan to control the Zombots that would involve Deadly Six.
Tails goes to Central City to research a cure for the Metal Virus, with Tangle and Whisper. After Dr. Eggman creates another Zombot outbreak there, Tangle and Whisper lead evacuation duties. However, Tails work is ruined by Cheese and Chocola, and other Zombots. Following Tails' failed mission, he goes on to help Tangle and Whisper evacuate the rest of the uninfected citizens. Elsewhere, Dr. Starline goes to the Lost Hex and meets Zavok. He manages to convinces him to help with their current crisis. Zavok accepts Starline's offer but unbeknownst to the latter, this was not done without malicious intent. Meanwhile, Vector and Espio return to Restoration HQ with many refugees and a captive Zombot Charmy. They planned to keep the bee at the HQ until Tails found a cure for him. Wanting to protect Cream, Gemerl objects to this. Soon, a refugee reveals that he is infected, which causes a panic among the other survivors. Due to the commotion, Charmy breaks out and begin infecting others. An emergency evacuation is ordered. However, Vanilla is not able to escape but makes Amy promise to get Cream to safety. Only one pilot was able to make it out of the building, leaving only one Rescue Shuttle available for use. Before anything else could happen, Charmy attempts to attack the ship's passengers but is stopped by Vector. Knowing he was lost to the Metal Virus, Vector had Gemerl seal him in Restoration HQ with the rest of the Zombots so that everyone else could escape. Following this, the Rescue Shuttle went to Central City to help pick up Tails, Tangle, Whisper and the survivors there. During this, Sonic is busy running to provide Tails' bio-scanner with data. He soon finds Eggman and Starline in Barricade Town, where the duo are attempting to find frequencies to control the Zombots once again. It is here that Eggman tells Starline and Sonic that there is no cure for the Metal Virus. Sonic foils the plot of the evil doctor duo, forcing them to retreat back to the Faceship. As Starline has deemed Eggman to be self-destructive, he once again visits the Deadly Six to ensure that they could exert their will over machines. Starline already knows that the Zeti plotted to turn on him, which prompts him to retrieve the Cacophonic Conch.
Following a Zombot outbreak in Spiral Hill Village, the Restoration fly there to help with evacuation and Sonic is called in to help out as well. Sonic soon discovers that Tangle has been infected by Jewel and she chooses to stay behind to hold Zombots back from following the Restoration. Much to the Restoration's upset hearing this news, the team retreats. Back onboard the Faceship, Starline wastes no more time and brings the Deadly Six onboard. Helpless against the Zeti's powers, Starline attempts to control the Deadly Six with the Cacophonic Conch but it is taken away from him when he lets his guard down. Starline thus retreats via his Warp Topaz with Eggman and Metal Sonic in tow. Zavok shifts priorities and have each of the Deadly Six equip themselves with a Chaos Emerald so that they can control the thousands of Zombots around the world which they will use to infect the whole world and destroy all that Sonic and Eggman hold dear. Meanwhile, Sonic and the others fly to Angel Island to use it as a safe haven. After being abruptly joined by Eggman, Starline and Metal Sonic, the group received word from Rouge (who snuck onto the Faceship days earlier) about the Deadly Six's plan and how she was coordinating with Orbot to spy on their deployments and coordinate a counterattack. Now, the heroes and villains join forces to figure out a way to combat the Metal Virus. Eggman suggests using the Warp Topaz charged by Super Sonic's power, though Starline refused to comply. Soon, with the help of Metal Sonic, Eggman takes the Warp Topaz from Starline and had him thrown off of the island via a Warp Portal. To increase their numbers against the Deadly Six in case any of, the heroes recruit the Babylon Rogues.
Eggman and Tails manage to build a Multi-Portal Generator that lead to each of the Deadly Six. After some teams have been formed, the heroes go after the Zeti. Ultimately, the heroes are able to retrieve the five Chaos Emeralds in possession of Zazz, Zomom, Zeena and Master Zik, but not without a cost; Cream has been infected and the Babylon Rogues are left to fight a horde of Zombots on their own. As the survivors regroup on the island, they find that the Zavok is approaching the island in the Faceship with a large group of Zombots following him. Fortunately, Rouge crashes the Faceship after she removes the Chaos Emerald that was powering it. This does not stop Zavok though, as he grows to his giant size and used his enhanced powers to toss a large group of Zombots onto the island. While the survivors keep the Zombots preoccupied, Sonic, Metal Sonic and Silver go after Zavok's Chaos Emerald. Amidst the chaos Sonic finds himself nearly fully infected, only for Metal Sonic to swiftly rescue him. Sonic then procures the last Chaos Emerald, and with Silver coming in with the rest, the two transform into Super Sonic and Super Silver, with the transformation completely ridding Sonic of his infection. After Super Sonic defeats Zavok, he uses the Warp Topaz to open up a Super Warp Portal to the sun while Super Silver uses his enhanced psychokinesis to pull away the Metal Virus from around the world. This cures everyone of their infection. The Metal Virus is sent into the sun, completely destroying it. Once this is done, Super Sonic attempts to toss the Topaz through the portal, only for it to cause a large explosion.
After being thrown back onto the island, Silver explains that they completed their mission but that Sonic disappeared when the explosion occurred. Meanwhile, Zavok is captured and imprisoned while the other Deadly Six go into hiding. Taking advantage of the situation while everyone else is concerned with Sonic's disappearance, Eggman makes his escape with his lackeys and the disembodied head of Omega. Meanwhile, Blaze finds Sonic after he crashed down into her world. However, Sonic is soon revealed to be suffering from amnesia. As everyone in Sonic's world picked up the pieces from the from the Zombot apocalypse, the heroes eventually come together for a party in Tangle home town, only for Eggman to attack them with a mech that incorporated a repaired Omega. While the heroes fight, Sonic has his memory restored by Burning Blaze, and he returns home just in time to help defeat Eggman and free Omega (who breaks apart shortly after). With Eggman having left to plan a new scheme, Sonic soon heads out on his own once more.
Soon after, Rouge and Amy turn to Tails in hopes of having Omega repaired. However, Tails needs the ciphers for Omega's blueprints and rare E-100 Series parts to complete the repairs. As such, Amy, Rouge, Gemerl, Cream and Cheese go to White Park Zone to compete in the White Park Chao Racing Circuit to get the parts they need from the shady champion Chao racer, Clutch the Opossum, while Sonic and Tails head to an abandoned Eggman base to get the code ciphers. However, in the base, Sonic and Tails are being watched by Belle. Meanwhile, Rouge's group catches Clutch's interest, who gives them an offer: if Cheese can come out on top in the races, he will give them the parts they need in exchange for Cheese. Adding to the mystery, a cloaking figure with incredible powers roams around White Park Zone. They briefly engaged Shadow when he came to White Park Zone, looking for a lead leading to Eggman. The next day, Cheese wins the races and Clutch gets ready to the trade, only to have the tables turned on him thanks to Rouge's planning and interference from Shadow, who had been following a lead leading him to Clutch. Rouge's group then gets ready to acquire the parts they need and free the Chao Clutch had been mistreating. Meanwhile, Sonic and Tails come face-to-face with the friendly Belle, only for the base's alarm to trigger and flood the base with Badniks.
In the end, the trio manage to escape. They soon after set off to White Park after Rouge has send a message to Tails for help. While Sonic and Belle check up on Amy, Cream, Cheese, and Gemerl, Tails goes to give aid to Rouge, only to be knocked out by her. Meanwhile, Sonic leaves Clutch's penthouse to look for Tails and Rouge. Soon after, Clutch activates his Badniks to attack the group and makes his exit. Meanwhile, Tails and Rouge find themselves tied up on a roller coaster, with the latter claiming she was hypnotized into doing someone else's bidding. Sonic and Shadow catch up to the roller coaster to find Dr. Starline behind the kidnappings and the one who evaded Shadow earlier. The doctor then sets off an avalanche aimed for the White Park Grand Chateau, posing the hedgehogs with the choice of rescuing their allies or the innocents unaware of the avalanche. In the end, Sonic and Shadow end out to stop the avalanche. At the same time, Tails and Rouge free themselves and escape to the chateau to warn the others while Starline gets startled off the roller coaster by Omega. At the chateau, Amy's team finishes off the Badniks and unites with Tails and Rouge to ensure the evacuation of the guests. At the same time, Sonic and Shadow try in vain to slow down the avalanche. Meanwhile, Starline shows up at the chateau to kidnap Tails, but is defeated and buried by the avalanche as it hits the chateau, which is able to withstand the impact. In the aftermath, Sonic and Shadow reunite with their allies and friends, and Tails is able to repair Omega with the aid of Belle, who is able to translate Omega's blueprints, and the parts Amy's team got from Clutch. However, this makes Tails suspicious about who Belle's creator is. Meanwhile, Starline, who has survived the avalanche, has managed to acquire a sample of Tails' fur for his long-term plans.
Some time after, Sonic and Tails give Belle a place to stay by having her join the Restoration, which has become a much larger and well-established organization under Jewel the Beetle's leadership. While there, a clumsy Belle finds a friend in Tangle. Meanwhile, the Restoration detects a strange tower that is creating devastating storms. Suspecting Eggman has something to do with this, Sonic, Tails and Amy head to the tower to investigate. Within the tower however, the trio ends up inside a strange, self-altering space. Meanwhile, Belle persuades Tangle to follow Sonic and his friends with her, hoping secretly to find someone at the tower. Eventually, Sonic's group discover they are inside a space where Eggman can circumvent spatial laws. As they proceed to another section, Sonic and his group find themselves under attack by Quasi-Badniks during their investigations. Forced to take cover, Tails tries to find a way out until Eggman contacts the group and reveals that they are inside the test chambers for his robotic creations, and that he now intends to test his creations on them. In the meantime, Tangle and Belle manage to infiltrate the tower and learn about Eggman's plans. As they start to look for Sonic's group though, Belle accidentally appears in front of some Badniks, only to get ignored. Wanting answers, Tangle had Belle tell her that she is a Badnik and that she wants answers about herself from Eggman. Deciding to trust Belle despite this, Tangle continues onward with Belle. Inside the test chambers, Sonic and co. are forced to content with the changes in spatial laws Eggman is forcing upon them until they let themselves fall into a close-off room. There, Sonic, Tails and Amy are attacked by various models of Egg Vipers. While the trio fights for their lives, Tangle and Belle find Orbot and Cubot and ties them up. Afterward, Tangle heads into the test chambers herself to find Sonic and the others. After Tangle has left, Belle comes into contact with Dr. Eggman, who remembers that he created Belle back when he was "Mr. Tinker". After Eggman then has explained his cruel intentions for creating the tower Belle is in, Belle succumbs to despair. At the same time, due to Tangle's interference, the test chambers have begun overloading, which would result in the tower imploding. Meanwhile, inside the test chambers, Sonic and co. find themselves pinned down by the Egg Vipers until Tangle arrives and helps them out. With Eggman distracted by Belle, the heroes manage to cripple the Egg Vipers, which Eggman eventually commands to launch one final attack. However, the heroes manage to escape the test chambers and return to the tower. However, the tower has already begun collapsing into itself, so Sonic has both friends and foes hold onto him while he takes them out of the tower, just before it is destroyed. Afterwards, the heroes let Orbot and Cubot go. Belle also explains her past to her friends, and that he was looking for Eggman in hopes of convincing him to abandon his evil ways. However, she now knows it is impossible.
Later, Eggman goes on a hunt for the Deadly Six, but is intercepted by Sonic. Overhearing from the pair that Zavok is still alive and on the lose following a series of events, Master Zik decides to meet Zavok halfway by regathering the Deadly Six. Meanwhile, Zavok, who is still wounded after his battle with Eggman, regathers his resolve to find the Deadly Six and exact his revenge on his enemies. After Zavok finds Zazz and Zomom, the trio encounter Master Zik, Zeena and Zor. The regathered Deadly Six then decide to make a big move by attacking Restoration HQ to reprieve the masses of hope. Before this, they start misleading their enemies in thinking that their target is Sunset City with a series of attacks. To capture the Deadly Six, Jewel hires the Chaotix Detective Agency, who deduce the Deadly Six's apparent movements. Meanwhile, Sonic is called in to help stop the Deadly Six. Sonic decided to await the Deadly Six in Winterburg, which the heroes have decided be one of the two potential sites for the Deadly Six's next attack. Meanwhile, the Chaotix have arrived in Sunset City while Tails prepared two new inventions to contain the Deadly Six and return them to the Lost Hex: the Zeti Zapper and Zeti Launcher. However, the heroes realize that they have been played when the Deadly Six attack Restoration HQ. Jewel, Tangle, and Whisper barricaded themselves in the main control room, while Belle stays in the machine shop. However, Belle is soon kidnapped by Dr. Starline, who has taken advantage of the chaos the Deadly Six to sneak into the Restoration HQ and seek out Belle, whom he needs for his long-term plans. Soon after however, Sonic arrives in the Restoration HQ where he faces all of the Deadly Six. Thankfully, due to the timely arrival of Tails and his Zeti Zappers, Sonic is able to defeat the Deadly Six, only to learn of Belle's kidnapping in the aftermath. Taking the Deadly Six outside, Sonic and Tails have the group board the Zeti Launcher, although not before Sonic and Zavok have a little exchange about the consequences of their actions. In the meantime, Starline has hooked a restrained Belle up his computer to copy her systems' emulation of emotions. He then provokes Belle through a series of emotional phases as he has her recount her past: that she was created by Eggman's Mr. Tinker persona and lived happily with him and the villagers in Windmill Village until Mr. Tinker was kidnapped and the Metal Virus pandemic began. Later, after the pandemic was over, she would set out on her quest to get Mr. Tinker back after being scorned and rejected by the villagers. Though the Chaotix soon arrive and rescue a heartbroken Belle, Starline escapes, having secured the data he needs for his long-term plans. At the same time, after landing on the Lost Hex, the Deadly Six resolve to return to Sonic's world to exact their revenge.
With everything that has happened lately, Amy decides to go on a camping trip to the Forest Ridge Zone Campground with Tangle, Jewel and Belle. However, each of Amy's friends has something on their minds that raises tensions among the group despite Amy's attempts to have them relax. Eventually, Belle goes out in the middle of the night, only to get knocked out by Motobud. Soon after, a forest fire erupts around the campground. While Amy and Jewel work on keeping the scrambling masses organized, Tangle heads into the forest to find the park ranger's son, Ashe. She eventually finds Belle, who was saved from the fire by Motobud from earlier, and they team up to find Ashe. They eventually find him and his Red Wisp companion, Red Hot, and they learn from Ashe that the fire was started by two anonymous figures. As the group tries to escape the forest fire, they end up falling into a ravine. Fortunately, they manage to catch a ride on a stray log and ride it down the the river in the ravine. As this occurs, Jewel, with Amy's assistance, manages to quell the panicked campers and get their help to assist the other campers and contain the fire. Once everyone is reunited, Jewel comes up with a new plan that successfully quells the fire throughout the forest. With a happy ending for everyone assured, Tangle decides to quit the Restoration, having never felt comfortable in it. Jewel accepts this, and encourages Tangle to go out on her own. Later on, Tails repairs Belle's burned hand and wishes to learn more about small defective Badniks like Motobud. Meanwhile, Tangle finishes recounting her tale to Sonic and Amy before heading off to find Whisper. Elsewhere, the park ranger discovers that the fire was indeed begun on purpose. Not long after, the Chaotix learn about some chaos having occurred in Central City, and heads there to investigate. As they check out the city, they end up investigating the sewers where they someone carrying Badnik parts through the tunnels. Though they lose their suspect, they manage to trace him to a warehouse. There, they discover their suspects are Rough and Tumble, and that they are helping Clutch, who has decided to rebuilt his criminal empire in order to content with the world's new generation of heroes. Though the Chaotix manage to strip Clutch of Badnik parts to sell, he and Rough and Tumble evade capture.
Later, Sonic, Tails, and Belle conduct a successful experiment where they are able to transfer Motobud's programming over to other Badniks, rending them friendly and harmless. During the following night however, Sonic and Tails discover that a control signal is being broadcasted to every Badnik around the world that is compelling them to gather in one place. With Belle and Motobud affected by the signal too, Sonic and Tails manage to block the signal's hold on Belle and follow Motobud to the source of the signal: Eggtropolis. After then being forced to shut down Motobud and finding a confession for Belle from Eggman's "Mr. TInker" persona inside said robot, Sonic, Tails and Belle head into Eggtropolis.
Stories and arcs
"Fallout!" revolves around Sonic the Hedgehog and his recent adventures in the aftermath of the Eggman War. He discovers that after Dr. Eggman's disappearance his Badnik forces had become more organized, attacking several towns on command. Sonic decides to find the source of these attacks and stops several of them with the help of his friends such as Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Blaze, and a new ally named Tangle the Lemur.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #1, "Fallout, Part 1" (April 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #2, "Fallout, Part 2" (April 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #3, "Fallout, Part 3" (April 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #4, "Fallout, Part 4" (April 2018)
The Fate of Dr. Eggman
The Chaotix Detective Agency receive an anonymous tip which leads them to a mountainous village where they find Dr. Eggman, only to discover that he is suffering amnesia and has become a model citizen. The tip was given by Rouge the Bat, who followed Shadow the Hedgehog in the research. Sonic convinces Shadow to leave "Mr. Tinker" to his new life. Sonic then discovers that the mysterious ringleader behind the Badnik attacks is Neo Metal Sonic, who took the leadership of the Eggman Empire once again, but only to conquer the world for Eggman in his absence. Sonic and Silver soon discover Neo's plans and alert Knuckles and Amy to gather their allies.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #5, "The Fate of Dr. Eggman, Part 1" (May 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #6, "The Fate of Dr. Eggman, Part 2" (June 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #7, "Meet the New Boss" (July 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #8, "Silent Support" (August 2018)
Battle For Angel Island
Having discovered that Neo Metal Sonic has taken over Angel Island, Sonic, the Resistance, and their allies began an assault to take back the island. However, with the Master Emerald under the control of Neo Metal Sonic (who has more than a few tricks up his sleeves) and the entire Egg Fleet guarding Angel Island, liberating the island proves not to be a simple task. Eventually, Metal Sonic is defeated and the island is freed, though Knuckles decides to disband the Resistance in the aftermath. Meanwhile, Eggman is kidnapped by Rough the Skunk and Tumble the Skunk and has his memories restored by the shadowy Dr. Starline, who becomes Eggman's new lackey while Eggman goes to work on a new plan.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #9, "The Battle for Angel Island, Part 1" (September 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #10, "The Battle for Angel Island, Part 2" (October 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #11, "The Battle for Angel Island, Part 3" (November 2018)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #12, "The Cost of the Battle for Angel Island" (January 2019)
The Metal Virus Saga
When trying to relax from his latest adventure, Sonic is called back into action after learning that Dr. Eggman has gone back to his old ways. While Eggman works on the Metal Virus, Sonic is kept occupied by threats in the form of Rough and Tumble, and Dr. Starline as he looks into Eggman's latest operations. Along the way, Sonic gets infected with the Metal Virus, which is slowly turning him into a Zombot. Eventually, Eggman completes his Faceship and begins distributing the Metal Virus across the planet.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #13, "Calling Card" (February 2019)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #14, "Misdirection" (February 2019)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #15, "Patient Zero" (March 2019)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #16, "Infection" (May 2019)
With Dr. Eggman creating Zombot hordes across the world by downing entire cities in his Metal Virus using his new Faceship, Sonic races to catch up to the doctor while at the same time struggling to keep his own infection in check. With the help of his allies, Sonic fights to save as many civilians as he can from a crisis that is steadily spinning out of control while Eggman slowly begins to lose his hold over the Zombots. Along the way though, some of Sonic's closest allies fall victim to the virus, such as Charmy, Cheese, Chocola and Shadow. Meanwhile, Dr. Starline slowly realizes that Eggman has no plan to properly contain the virus and plots to employ the Deadly Six to counter this.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #17, "Plague" (May 2019)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #18, "Victims" (July 2019)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #19, "Crisis City, Part 1" (July 2019)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #20, "Crisis City, Part 2" (August 2019)
The Last Minute
Tails tries to research a cure for the Metal Virus while Tangle and Whisper help the locals in Central City evacuate following another Zombot outbreak. Due to Zombot Cheese and Chocola's interference, Tails fails his mission. At Restoration HQ, Vector butts heads with Gemerl over whether or not an imprisoned Zombot Charmy could be kept there. One of the refugees reveals that they were infected, which causes a Zombot outbreak in the HQ. Despite all efforts, many survivors were infected in the process, including Vector and Vanilla. Elsewhere, Sonic uses Tails' bio-scanner to help discover how his speed counters the Metal Virus. He finds Dr. Eggman and Dr. Starline in Barricade Town attempting to find ways to control the Zombots once again. Though Sonic foils their plans, the bio-scanner is destroyed. Following this, Sonic helps the Restoration in evacuating Spiral Hill Village after a Zombot outbreak occurred there but at the cost of losing Tangle to the virus. Meanwhile, Dr. Starline meets the Deadly Six and proposes an alliance that they accept, with each party having external malicious intent.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #21, "The Last Minute, Part 1" (October 2019)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #22, "The Last Minute, Part 2" (October 2019)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #23, "The Last Minute, Part 3" (November 2019)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #24, "The Last One Out" (December 2019)
All or Nothing
After Dr. Starline invited the Deadly Six onboard the Faceship but failed to control them with the Cacophonic Conch, he, Dr. Eggman and Metal Sonic flee the scene. The Zeti decide to use the Chaos Emeralds to empower themselves and control the thousands of Zombots around the world. Rouge, who managed to sneak onto the ship earlier, relays this information to Sonic and the others, who are now using Angel Island as a safe haven. Unexpectedly joined by Eggman and Metal Sonic, who later fires Starline, the group gets to work on a counterattack against the Deadly Six that involves the Warp Topaz. A Multi-Portal Generator is created, which allows the survivors, including the Babylon Rogues, to fight and retrieve the Chaos Emeralds from the Zeti. When all but Zavok's are assembled, Sonic, Silver and Metal Sonic team up to get it, resulting in the hedgehogs becoming Super Sonic and Super Silver. They manage to manage to defeat Zavok and destroy the Metal Virus, curing everyone infected. However, after Super Sonic tries to get rid of the Warp Topaz, he vanishes.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #25, "A Sudden Shift" (February 2020)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #26, "All or Nothing, Part 1" (March 2020)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #27, "All or Nothing, Part 2" (March 2020)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #28, "All or Nothing, Part 3" (June 2020)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #29, "All or Nothing, Part 4" (July 2020)
Out of the Blue
With the Metal Virus gone, the Deadly Six decide to lay low, though Zavok ends up imprisoned. As everyone else is caught up in the commotion of Sonic's disappearance, Dr. Eggman makes a quick getaway with his lackeys and Omega. In the following days, several events occur; Amy gives control of the Restoration to Jewel; Rough and Tumble are freed from Echo Mine by Tails and Tangle; Silver returns to a restored future; Vanilla, Cream, Cheese, Chocola and Gemerl help the Chaotix with missing persons cases; Shadow reflects on Sonic's previous warning. Later on, Eggman crashes Tangle's party at Spiral Hill Village with a more weaponized Omega. Meanwhile, Sonic turns up on Blaze's world and becomes amnesiac. She helps him regain his memories and sends him back home to aid the others in defeating Eggman once more.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #30, "Cured" (August 2020)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #31, "Recovery, Part 1" (September 2020)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #32, "Recovery, Part 2" (September 2020)
Chao Races and Badnik Bases
Following the end of the Zombot apocalypse, Omega has been damaged, and his allies turn to Sonic, Tails and Amy for help. The only way to rebuild him is to trade parts with the mysterious champion Chao racer Clutch, so it is off to the White Park Chao Racing Circuit for Cream, Cheese, Amy, and Rouge. Meanwhile, Sonic and Tails find a new ally named Belle while trying to look for ciphers in an abandoned Eggman base. She later aids Cream, Amy and Gemerl once they discover Clutch had imprisoned several Chao for his races. Shadow, who was also at White Park, runs afoul of a hooded figure who is revealed to be Dr. Starline. He kidnaps Rouge and Tails and also sets off an avalanche as a distraction. The pair manage to free themselves while Omega startles Starline. While Belle prevents Starline from taking Tails again, Sonic and Shadow try their best to stop the avalanche. Though they fail, no one is harmed as everyone else manages to escape the chateau. Following this, Omega is repaired.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #33, "Chao Races and Badnik Bases, Part 1" (October 2020)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #34, "Chao Races and Badnik Bases, Part 2" (November 2020)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #35, "Chao Races and Badnik Bases, Part 3" (December 2020)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #36, "Chao Races and Badnik Bases, Part 4" (January 2021)
Belle is accepted as a member of the Restoration as she has nowhere else to stay. There, she finds a friend in Tangle. After a mysterious tower that causes freak storms appears, Sonic, Tails and Amy set off to investigate it, but get caught inside the testing chambers for robots where Dr. Eggman controls the spatial laws. Once he becomes aware of the group's incursion, Eggman decides to take advantage of the situation by pitting his robots against the heroes. Meanwhile, Tangle wishes to join the trio, but is prohibited by Jewel. She and Belle nonetheless set off to follow the others to the tower. There, it is revealed Belle is a Badnik created by Eggman back when the doctor was the amnesiac Mr. Tinker. Thanks to Tangle though, Sonic and co. escape the test chambers, who proceed to flee from the tower with their allies and enemies before it implodes from a feedback loop.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #37, "Test Run, Part 1" (February 2021)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #38, "Test Run, Part 2" (March 2021)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #39, "Test Run, Part 3" (May 2021)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #40, "Test Run, Part 4" (June 2021)
Overhearing that Zavok is around, Master Zik decides to help his former student. Meanwhile, Zavok is madder than ever and wishes to reunite with the Deadly Six. Finding Zazz and Zomom, the trio meet up with Master Zik, Zeena and Zor. The reassembled Deadly Six then decide to make a big move by attacking Restoration HQ. To stop the Deadly Six, Jewel calls in the Chaotix Detective Agency while Sonic joins in. As the heroes make preparations though, the Deadly Six manage to sneak into Restoration HQ and wreck havoc while Dr. Starline sneaks in and kidnaps Belle. Sonic, however, quickly arrives to stop the Deadly Six, which he accomplishes with a little help from Tails and his Zeti Zappers. In the aftermath, Sonic and Tails send the Deadly Six back to the Lost Hex while the Chaotix save Belle. However, before escaping, Starline has gotten the data he needs from Belle for his long-term plans.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #41, "Zeti Hunt, Part 1" (June 2021)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #42, "Zeti Hunt, Part 2" (July 2021)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #43, "Zeti Hunt, Part 3" (September 2021)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #44, "Zeti Hunt, Part 4" (September 2021)
Trial by Fire
After everything that has happened lately, Amy, Jewel, Tangle, and Belle head off on a well-deserved camping trip in hopes of getting some rest, relaxation and peace. Unfortunately, tensions are high between the girls. Not long after, a forest fire erupts around the campground. Belle gets caught up in the expanding fire, only to get unexpected help from Motobud. Amy and Jewel work on keeping the masses organized while Tangle looks for a missing child named Ashe and his companion, Red Hot. Eventually finding Belle and teaming up with her and Motobud, Tangle and her group find Ashe and learn that two anonymous figures are behind the fire. Eventually, Tangle, Belle, Ashe, Red Hot, and the Motobug manage to find their way back to the campground and aid Jewel in her plan to quell the fire. Following this, Tails repairs Belle's hand and Tangle leaves the Restoration with Jewel's blessing to find Whisper.
Following an investigation in a power surge, the Chaotix find Clutch, Rough, and Tumble. Following his recent setback, Clutch intends to revive his old arms dealership empire. The Chaotix tussle with the group, leading to Vector destroying Clutch's entire Badnik collection, but the trio escape. Not long after, following a successful experiment to turn Badniks non-hostile, Sonic, Tails and Belle discover that the world's Badniks are being called to Eggtropolis, prompting the trio to head there and investigate.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #45, "Trial by Fire, Part 1" (October 2021)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #46, "Trial by Fire, Part 2" (October 2021)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #47, "Trial by Fire, Part 3" (December 2021)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #48, "Hit the Pavement" (February 2022)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #49, "Wound Up" (April 2022)
Battle for the Empire
- Sonic the Hedgehog #50, story one (June 2022)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #51, story one (July 2022)
- Sonic the Hedgehog #52, story one (August 2022)
Bleeding Cool gave the first issue a score of 6.5/10, praising the art and creativity of the story but criticizing Sonic's characterization, saying that "Sonic is an insufferable character... He’s smug, annoying, and radical in that 1990's sense."
- An unused image that was made by Tyson Hesse was used for the cover of a from , which is a catalogue of upcoming comics for comic shops.
- The comic launched in what would have been the 25th anniversary year of its predecessor.
- On 9 October 2017, Flynn stated on BumbleKing that there could be a chance that the Pre-Super Genesis Wave continuity from the Archie comics could be concluded in the IDW comics along with the Post-Super Genesis Wave continuity, as he also said that IDW is famous for bringing back and completing older runs of fan-favorite franchise comics when they can.
- While the comic's logo is the same of the official video game franchise, the one shown on the promo art from the New York Comic-Con is similar to the latest one from the Archie Comics.
- Characters like Ray, Mighty and Team Hooligan will not appear in the comics due to the fact that SEGA has currently requested a distinct division between "Classic Sonic" and "Modern Sonic". Since the comic is set within the "Modern Sonic" universe, the "Classic Sonic" material is currently off limits.
- On 26 August 2018, Flynn stated several things in an interview at SAGE 2018 about the IDW series:
- Flynn stated that the "Modern Sonic" universe is set neither on Earth nor Mobius; just like the games' canon and Sonic X, Sonic and friends live on one world, while the humans live on another.
- Flynn has stated that he wishes to do a prequel of Sonic Forces so he can explore the six months of stories the readers did not get to see during Eggman's conquest.
- On 17 September 2018, during the BumbleKast, Flynn confirmed several things about the IDW comic series:
- He does not have any plans for the Knothole Freedom Fighters at the moment and stated that Sega will declare if they can use them.
- Only some places will have a name if they are important for world building.
- He has plans for making an entire new rogues gallery for the comic, but that it will take time.
- On 7 December 2018, David Mariotte announced that the schedule was being adjusted so more comics can be released in 2019.
- The initial reason why the "Classic Sonic" universe was not included in the series was because the creative team could not state if it took place in the past or if it was in another dimension. Flynn stated later that the "Classic Sonic" universe takes place sometime after Sonic Mania.
- Flynn established that though there will be comics that will feature the "Classic Sonic" universe, they will only have characters that are considered "Classic" exclusive, so there will not be anything related to the "Modern Sonic" universe.
- Flynn has stated that there are characters in the series inspired by some characters from the comic series published by Archie Comics.
- Infinite will not appear in the comics as Sega has established that he is off-limits.
- One of the first pitches Flynn presented to the creative crew before officially writing Sonic the Hedgehog was to begin with a villain that was not Eggman as there have been many Eggman-focused stories beforehand. Flynn believed he should use someone familiar to Sonic fans but not someone readers would necessarily expect. For that reason, he chose Neo Metal Sonic as the main villain for the first eleven issues of the comic as he was able to impersonate Eggman.
- Flynn has stated that despite the comic being settled in the "two worlds" canon, similar events from the games' canon have happened, and there is the possibility of passing knowledge from both worlds to introduce them later in the comics.
- However, he later stated that because of this he could not use some characters from "Modern Sonic" universe. For example, according to him, Chaos and Tikal would not appear due to Sega stating that officially they are dead.
- It was later stated by Flynn that the "two worlds" canon no longer mattered to the series for reasons unknown. The reason was later revealed to be because of the main series finally settling to take place on one world (as explained in "TailsTube No. 1 (feat. Sonic)") and the comic series would follow suit.
- However according to Ian, humans would not still appear in the comic on the near future, but it might change if Sega demands it.
- The series is the first comic book series to receive merchandising and promotion in the video games. Notably, the comic's signature original characters, Tangle the Lemur and Whisper the Wolf, have merchandise in the form of enamel pins, shirts, pillows, a fleece blanket, and plush toys and appear as playable characters in the mobile games Sonic Dash and Sonic Forces: Speed Battle.
- Sticks the Badger was going to appear in the comic, according to Ian, there was an original pitch where after the end of the first arc Stick would appear at the end revealing that she was living in Angel Island in secret.
- T-Bird (5 October 2017). IDW Sonic Comic Teaser Features Tyson Hesse Artwork. Sonic Stadium. Retrieved on 6 October 2017. "Thank you for joining us for the first ever IDW/Sonic Town Hall! IDW and SEGA are proud to bring you an all-new chapter of Sonic the Hedgehog comics! After more than 25 years, Sonic’s adventures have captured the imaginations of countless fans, and have inspired one of the most passionate fan bases in the world. We look forward to bringing you brand-new stories, featuring characters old and new, that continue this proud legacy of the fastest comics around! SPEEDING YOUR WAY APRIL 2018!"
- Frank, Allegra (9 October 2017). Sonic the Hedgehog’s next comics get a fantastic facelift (correction). Polygon. Retrieved on 25 October 2017.
- IDW Publishing and SEGA® Welcome Veteran Sonic Writer Ian Flynn. IDW Publishing (8 October 2017). Retrieved on 8 October 2017. "A new era of Sonic comics will begin next April with a four-week event. IDW will be moving at Sonic-like speeds to publish the first four issues of the new series in the span of four weeks. Those issues will be written by Flynn with a team of artists joining him to be announced at a later date."
- Sonic the Hedgehog on Twitter. Twitter (21 July 2017). Retrieved on 21 July 2017. "Sonic the Hedgehog: SEGA and IDW are thrilled to announce a partnership to bring Sonic Comics to fans new and old. The new series arrives 2018!"
- Chris Ryall on Tumblr. Tumblr (3 August 2017). Retrieved on 3 August 2017.
- SSF1991 (28 December 2017). Ian Flynn Confirms That IDW Sonic Comics Will Not Have Archie Sonic Characters He Created. TSSZ News. Retrieved on 28 December 2017.
- SSF1991 (11 January 2018). Official IDW Sonic Facebook Group Opens. TSSZ News. Retrieved on 11 January 2018.
- SSF1991 (16 January 2018). Tracy Yardley! Confirmed For IDW Sonic Team, One Of Multiple Covers For Issue #1 Released. TSSZ News. Retrieved on 17 January 2018.
- Holub, Christian (22 January 2018). New Sonic the Hedgehog comics coming in April. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on 23 January 2018.
- Yehl, Joshua (24 January 2018). Sonic the Hedgehog's Newest Ally Is Tangle the Ring-tailed Lemur. IGN. Retrieved on 24 January 2018.
- Thurmond, Joey (15 February 2018). Writer Ian Flynn Discusses Giving The Sonic Comic Series A Fresh Start. Game Informer. Retrieved on 16 February 2018.
- SSF1991 (2 March 2018). Sonic IDW Facebook Q&A Highlights. TSSZ News. Retrieved on 3 March 2018.
- SSF1991 (16 March 2018). SEGA Shop Begins Selling Special IDW Comics Bundle. TSSZ News. Retrieved on 21 March 2018.
- Plagge, Kallie (23 August 2018). Nintendo Switch Getting App To Read Comics, Including Dark Souls And Sonic. GameSpot. Retrieved on 12 September 2018.
- Sonic rejoint le catalogue Mana Books !! (French). Mana Books. Retrieved on 1 November 2018.
- Sonic Reikai on Twitter. Twitter (5 April 2019). Retrieved on 5 April 2019.
- Sonic Paradise on Twitter. Twitter (6 April 2019). Retrieved on 6 April 2019.
- Sonic Official - Season 3 Episode 8. YouTube (21 June 2019). Retrieved on 21 June 2019.
- IDW Debuts Spanish Graphic Novel Line with Takei's 'They Called Us Enemy'. Publishers Weekly. Retrieved on 24 November 2019.
- Wise Publishing on Twitter (Japanese) (27 March 2020). Archived from the original on 27 March 2020.
- Sonic está na #Geektopia on Twitter. Twitter (4 March 2021). Retrieved on 4 March 2021.
- IDW Publishing announces "Sonic Month". Tails' Channel (27 May 2021). Retrieved on 27 May 2021.
- IDW's giving away trades, games, and a custom PS5. Sonic Stadium (10 June 2021). Retrieved on 10 June 2021.
- Sonic the Hedgehog #1 Review: Creative Action Scenes Make Up for an Annoying Lead. Bleeding Cool (5 April 2018). Retrieved on 16 July 2018.
- IDW Sonic Smashes Sales Expectations, Becomes Best-Selling Sonic Comics on Record. Sonic Stadium (7 May 2018).
- Lost Hedgehog Tales “Update”. BumbleKing (9 October 2017).
- Flynn, Ian. Sonic the Hedgehog FAQ. BumbleKing.
- Schneckloth, Ryan. SAGE 2018: Interview with Ian Flynn Summary. TSSZ News.
- BumbleKast #75: Q&A Bonanza!. Sonic Source (17 September 2018). Retrieved on 19 September 2018.
- IDW Sonic Comics Squad. Facebook (7 December 2018). Retrieved on 9 December 2018.
- BumbleKast #81 - MST3K. YouTube (10 October 2018). Retrieved on 10 October 2018.
- BumbleKast Q&A for June 14th, 2021 - SEGA Smash Bros.. YouTube (14 June 2021). Retrieved on 15 June 2021.
- BumbleKast Q&A Live Special! For June 7th, 2021. YouTube (7 June 2021). Retrieved on 7 June 2021.
- BumbleKast #82 - The Final (For Real) Smash Bros. Ultimate Episode. YouTube (7 January 2019). Retrieved on 7 January 2019.
- BumbleKast #83 - Into the Cinematic Spider-Verse. YouTube (21 January 2019). Retrieved on 21 January 2019.
- Ian Flynn on Facebook. Facebook (19 April 2019). Retrieved on 19 April 2019.
- BumbleKast #98 - Narrative Tropes. YouTube (19 August 2019). Retrieved on 19 August 2019.
- BumbleKast Q&A for April 26th, 2021. YouTube (26 April 2021). Retrieved on 26 April 2021.
- BumbleKast Q&A for July 26th, 2021. YouTube (26 July 2021). Retrieved on 27 July 2021.
- BumbleKast for April 13th, 2022 - Priority Q&A Podcast with Ian Flynn. YouTube (13 April 2022). Retrieved on 13 April 2022.
- BumbleKast Monthly Livestream for April 2022 - Q&A with Ian Flynn!. YouTube (30 April 2022). Retrieved on 30 April 2022.