Sonic the Hedgehog (ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ Sonikku za Hejjihoggu?, born 23 June) is the titular main protagonist of the Sonic the Hedgehog series and Sega's mascot. He is an anthropomorphic hedgehog born with the ability to run faster than the speed of sound, hence his name, and possesses lightning-fast reflexes to match his speed. As his species implies, Sonic can also roll up into a concussive ball, primarily to attack enemies.
Ever since stepping into the battle against iniquity, Sonic has been the champion of peace and is renowned all over the world for saving it countless times. During his many adventures, Sonic has traveled from the ends of the world to the far reaches of space and time, facing countless trials that have tested him to the fullest, earning him many titles, allies, and the scorns of several foes. Well-known for his legendary cocky attitude, easy-going demeanor, and somewhat short temper, yet strong sense of justice, compassion, and love for freedom and adventure, Sonic uses his abilities to protect the innocent from his world and those beyond from the forces of evil, especially his arch-nemesis, Dr. Eggman, and his empire.
- 1 Concept and creation
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Personality
- 4 Powers and abilities
- 5 Weaknesses
- 6 Relationships
- 6.1 Dr. Eggman
- 6.2 Miles "Tails" Prower
- 6.3 Amy Rose
- 6.4 Metal Sonic
- 6.5 Knuckles the Echidna
- 6.6 Shadow the Hedgehog
- 6.7 Rouge the Bat
- 6.8 Cream the Rabbit
- 6.9 Team Chaotix
- 6.10 Blaze the Cat
- 6.11 Silver the Hedgehog
- 6.12 Eggman Nega
- 6.13 Jet the Hawk
- 6.14 Princess Elise
- 6.15 Marine the Raccoon
- 6.16 Shahra
- 6.17 Erazor Djinn
- 6.18 Knights of the Round Table
- 6.19 Chip
- 6.20 Wisps
- 6.21 The Deadly Six
- 6.22 Classic Sonic
- 6.23 Infinite
- 6.24 Avatar
- 6.25 Friends/allies
- 6.26 Rivals
- 6.27 Enemies
- 7 References
Concept and creation
While several people have been involved in the creation of Sonic, the artist Naoto Ohshima, programmer Yuji Naka, and designer Hirokazu Yasuhara are generally credited with the creation of the character.
In April 1990, Sega requested a game capable of selling more than 1,000,000 copies; a character who could compete against Nintendo's Super Mario, and a character to replace Alex Kidd as the company's mascot. Several character designs were submitted by its AM8 research and development department. These included an armadillo (who was later developed into Mighty the Armadillo), a dog, a short mustached man in pajamas (who was later used as the basis of the design of the main antagonist Dr. Eggman) and a rabbit (who would use its extendable ears to collect objects, an idea that was later used for a separate Sega character named Ristar). Eventually, the mascot they selected was Naoto Ohshima's submission, a spiky teal hedgehog codenamed "Mr. Hedgehog" (Mr. ハリネズミ Mr. Harinezumi?), later renamed Sonic. Initial ideas for names for Sonic included "Raisupi" and "LS", and truncation and plays on the word "light speed". However, due to a mistranslation of Ohshima's notes by English-speaking fans, it was believed that Sonic's original development name was "Mr. Needlemouse" until it was corrected by Yuji Naka on 24 January 2021.
Sonic's color was based on the Sega logo, his shoe design based on Michael Jackson, his shoe color based on Santa Claus, and his personality inspired by future-President Bill Clinton's "get it done" attitude, whom Ohshima felt embodied a modern sensibility of wanting to get things done right away, righting wrongs as they presented themselves instead of letting them linger. According to Yuji Naka, Sonic's color also serves to symbolize peace, trust, and coolness, the attributes of Sonic's character. His trademark speed is based on Super Mario Bros. World 1-1, with Sonic creator Yuji Naka stating in issue 260 of Nintendo Power that "I always tried to get through the level as fast as I could," which inspired the initial concept for Sonic the Hedgehog. Sonic was created without the ability to swim because of a mistaken assumption by Yuji Naka that all hedgehogs could not do so.
A group of fifteen started working on Sonic the Hedgehog and renamed themselves Sonic Team. The game's soundtrack was composed by Masato Nakamura of the band Dreams Come True. Sega sponsored the group's "Wonder 3" tour, painting Sonic on the tour bus, distributing pamphlets advertising the game, and having footage of the game broadcast above stage prior to its release.
The original concepts gave Sonic fangs and put him in a band with a human girlfriend named Madonna. However, a team from Sega of America, led by Madeline Schroeder, "softened" the character up for an American audience by removing these elements. This sparked a heated issue with Sonic Team. Naka later admitted it was probably for the best. Sonic's precise age, weight, height, and other physical characteristics vary depending on the continuity in which he appears and the style in which he is drawn. In the video games, Sonic's original design by Naoto Ohshima was with short spikes, a round body, and no visible irises. Artwork featuring this design and drawn by Akira Watanabe was displayed on the package artwork for Sonic the Hedgehog and most subsequent Sonic video games featured similar designs. When Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Mega Drive (known as the Sega Genesis in American territories) appeared, Sonic's proportions changed. The original 1:2 head to height ratio changed to 1:2.5.
Beginning with Sonic Adventure in 1998, Sonic was redesigned by Yuji Uekawa as a 15-year-old character, with longer legs and a less spherical body, longer and more drooping spikes, and emerald green-colored eyes. The reason for this color for his eyes was to contrast with the rest of his color scheme but also, according to Uekawa, "because he is always seeing these green pastures around him, like in Green Hill Zone." Sonic was also purposefully made more of a "bad boy" for Sonic Adventure, so that his character did not become too cutesy like so many other character mascots (Yuji Naka stated that Hello Kitty already owned the market in cuteness). Further changes to the character's design were made in subsequent games, namely in Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) adding visible fur, a more realistic design for a human world, and making him a bit lankier.
Sonic is a slim anthropomorphic hedgehog with blue fur that covers most of his body, and peach skin that covers his arms, muzzle, insides of his ears and front torso. He has small, triangular ears on top of his head, six long quills on the back of his head, two spines protruding from his back behind his shoulders, and a short tail.
For attire, Sonic wears light-weight, hyper friction-resistant red sneakers with white cuffs around the ankles, gray metallic soles, and white straps across the top; the latter of which are held down by a golden buckle on each foot. He also wears a pair of white gloves with sock-like cuffs on his hands.
Back when he was younger, up until the Chaos incident, Sonic was shorter and stubbier, had a round head and an equally round torso, and black eyes. However, he has since grown taller and thinner, and developed green eyes. Prior to the Neo Metal Sonic incident, he was also often shown to have peach-skinned eyelids.
For Extreme Gear riding, Sonic wears green sunglasses on his head, black metal cuffs around each wrist, and a pair of red and white shoes.
Sonic is said to be "like the wind"; a drifter that is always on the move and is noted for being free-spirited and adventurous. Described as a cool dude who goes wherever the flow takes him, he values freedom above all else and strives to live his life according to his own rules and whims rather than the standards of those around him or for the sake of heroism and duty, never thinking twice about what other people say or think. As such, Sonic is not a "do-gooding" hero. Owning to his love of freedom, Sonic is also a very independent guy who is mostly interested in doing his own thing, being willing to live and die by his own rules.
Born to run, Sonic enjoys nothing more than traveling the world. Endowed with a strong passion for enjoying life, he is never in one place for long and always moves forward to look for his next challenge, viewing his life as a never-ending series of adventures. Because of his need for freedom, Sonic loathes the idea of being constrained; being cooped up or being forced to stay in one place tends to make him very uneasy and restless. By the time of the Phantom Ruby incident, however, Sonic appears to have somewhat overcome his stir-craziness, remaining calm and snarky even after being imprisoned aboard the Death Egg for six months. His primary passion, however, is for speed and he likes anything fast. Two things he also does not do under normal circumstances are swimming (as he cannot swim) and driving around in vehicles (as he can run faster than all of them). However, he willing to compromise these standpoints when they involve competitions where they require that he will be squaring off opponents on equal grounds.
Sonic's demeanor is normally easygoing, calm, and carefree, no matter the crisis. However, he is generally impatient as he likes to get things done quickly, hates boredom, and can possess a short temper. Because of his impulsive nature and since he is not detail-oriented due to a short attention span, Sonic can be reckless and quick to act before thinking, throwing himself into trouble without a second thought and regards for others' warnings. Nevertheless, he is honest, fearless, and always keeps his promises.
Sonic's personality is a juxtaposition of kindness and ferocity. He is extremely benevolent, driven by his own strong sense of justice and fair play, and firmly stands for truth and freedom. However, he is never the one to rest in the face of injustice or oppression, and he always protects and fights for the underdog. He hates lies, unfairness, and evil in all its forms, exploding with anger when witnessing anything unjust and doing all he can to snuff it out, throwing his life on the line without hesitation. However, he usually sees his heroics as an opportunity to have fun, making him a thrill-seeker. To Sonic, saving the world is no big feat and just another thrilling episode in his life. When he finds himself in a pinch, he acts as though nothing can stop him. In times of crisis, though, he is aggressive and focuses intensely on the task at hand as if his personality has undergone an astonishing change. At the same time, Sonic has a big and kind heart and is fully committed to helping out anyone in need at any time when they are in trouble, even if it means getting himself into trouble or being despised by others.
Sonic has a lot of self-confidence, making him sassy, cocky, occasionally overconfident, and as quick-witted as he is fast-footed. Sonic’s signature positive attitude is where his massive internal ego comes from; he thinks he and his friends will always find a way out of any situation, but this attitude sometimes leads to him underestimating his enemies and the task at hand. However, this ego is not to be confused with pride, as Sonic does not see himself as more important than others. No matter the threat or how dangerous, he always remains cool under pressure. He also fancies himself as a bit of a ladies man, but he does not like to be chased by girls.
In the original Japanese version, Sonic omits honorifics and speaks informally (if not rudely), using "ore" instead of "I" when addressing himself or others ("ore" is a boastful way to say "I" in Japanese). However, he will still occasionally use honorifics when addressing close friends or acquaintances. Possessing a narcissistic tongue and a notable attitude, he often jokes around to light the mood and will also take any opportunity to taunt his opponents. Being so smug, he has developed a habit of talking to mindless robots, even when he knows they cannot hear him. Despite this, he can be more of a gentleman when he wants to and be modest with fancy titles. Additionally, while Sonic generally assumes he can deal with things on his own, he also realizes he has friends to back him up in situations too big for himself and believes strongly in teamwork and the bonds he has made, having noted that he would not have come as far as he has today without his friends and allies. In keeping with his smugness and confidence, he often engages in playful banter with his enemies; examples include asking Infinite "optional" questions to glean into what the secret behind the latter's powers were, what his favorite color was and whether he liked long, romantic walks on the beach, as well as "asking" a Zavok replica if he would let Sonic join a party occurring on the Death Egg (referring to the commotion resulting from the Resistance's infiltration of the area). Sonic is likewise very competitive; while he takes no interest in challenges he knows he can win easily, Sonic always welcomes a good competition that has him squaring off against others on even ground. Sonic likewise never holds back when pitted against others in a test of skills and abilities, and is not above trash-talking his opponents.
In keeping with his footloose lifestyle, Sonic never dwells on the past or allows his painful experiences to weigh him down. Instead, he lives in the present and always looks forward to his next adventure, holding no regrets for what has transpired. It is only in the moments of greatest loss that his macho and carefree appearance falls away, like the apparent death of Elise. Similarly, Sonic always does what he thinks is right and never second-guesses what he does, remaining steadfast to the end. Together, these qualities give Sonic an incredibly strong character and will; no matter the situation, he never doubts himself or gives up, never once submitting to the darkness in his heart.
While he enjoys his independence, Sonic is also extremely loyal to his friends and will risk his life for them without any due consideration. While he can leave them hanging, act rude towards them, or endanger them due to his fast-paced nature, Sonic never intends to make his friends unhappy and values them above all else, treating each of them as the most important person in his life. He will likewise always accept help from his friends and show great trust in them. Irreverent to authority, Sonic places everyone one on the same level as him and does not show interest in treating anyone differently because of a supposed superiority. Because of this, he can come across as rude to figures of authority by speaking to them informally, which often lands him in trouble.
Regardless of the many foes he has faced, Sonic rarely considers them true enemies and instead tends to admire them for how powerful some of them are and how much fun they can provide him. Likewise, he is shown to have a remarkable capacity to forgive; the most notable example of this is when he forgave Silver and worked with him after the latter had tried to kill him twice.
As his outward demeanor implies, Sonic is not book smart, but he is very street smart. Despite this, Sonic has proven himself to be much more insightful than he usually lets on, capable of seeing things others would have overlooked and see through deception. Notably, he has been able to figure out the schemes of even the intelligent and manipulative Rouge. He can likewise give valuable and comforting advice that drastically changes the outlook of others, such as in the case of Elise, Merlina, and Blaze. This insight, combined with a charismatic personality, allows Sonic to get along with virtually anyone he meets, even if they were his enemies at one point. However, while Sonic is able to change those around him for the better, he himself has not really changed over the course of his adventures; he sticks firmly to his beliefs and does not let anything but himself define him.
Sonic has a fondness of beauty and nature and he stands as a protector of both aspects. As seen during the Wisp incident, he appreciates scenic views, and was incensed to find out that Eggman was polluting Planet Wisp's beautiful and lush environment. During the Solaris incident, Sonic is also shown to have a fondness for locations that are filled with flowers, trees, and other kinds of plants. Ironically, despite his inability to swim, Sonic also loves going to the ocean.
Sonic has been shown to enjoy cool music, but seems to have a special interest in rock music. Furthermore, it was displayed during the Sol Emerald incident that Sonic also enjoys break dancing, which is reflected in his Trick Actions. His battle moves seen during the Emerl incident are also based on break dancing as mentioned in the attack descriptions. He also break dances in numerous games, usually when he is victorious.
Sonic tends to get irritated when his enemies often misidentify his species, namely by calling him a rat, making him correct them and state his actual species is a hedgehog. This was best demonstrated with his encounters with Erazor Djinn, and to a lesser extent with his encounter with Infinite at Mystic Jungle.
Powers and abilities
Despite not having undergone any known training, Sonic's years of battles have made him a skilled and powerful fighter. He has defeated giant robots, demons, and god-like beings on his own, gone up against and bested those with far more combat experience, and even beaten individuals who equally match his abilities. It has also been noted that Sonic is steadily growing stronger; during the Time Eater incident, Sonic could beat the Egg Emperor and Perfect Chaos on his own where he previously required additional power to defeat them. Sonic even told Infinite upon holding his own against the latter compared to the previous time they fought that he becomes more powerful every second. It is safe to assume that Sonic is far more powerful than he lets on, but his overconfidence and reluctance to go all out usually keeps him from fighting at full strength. His victories over Emerl at the Gizoid's maximum potential and Perfect Chaos in his base form are prime examples of Sonic's true power. Regardless of his blocks, Sonic ranks amongst the most powerful characters in the series.
Sonic's greatest strength is his super speed. He has proven himself to be in a class of his own with his speed, having been credited as "the fastest thing alive" and even the fastest being in the universe. He has the ability to instantly accelerate to the speed of sound and run at speeds far greater than Mach 1, which is at the blistering speed of about 768 mph, and can run backward just as well as he can forwards. Due to such speed, he can scale vertical surfaces and ceilings, run over water, outspeed lasers, and even cause the ground to explode in his wake. Even then, Sonic can take his speed even further. By revving up in one place, he can take off at turbo speeds in an instant. He can also envelope himself in a blue energy field that lets him accelerate beyond the sound barrier on both the ground and in midair for a short time, allowing him to not only smash straight through enemies and obstacles like a living projectile, but also fly immense distances through midair. Using certain techniques, he can even achieve light-speed momentarily.
It is unknown what Sonic's unaided top speed is. During the Emerl incident, it is stated he can move several times the speed of sound and when facing Ultimate Emerl, he went at least ten rounds with him in less than thirty seconds. It has also often been stated that Sonic can move at supersonic speed (which ranges from 915-3,840 mph), and he has once been called the "the world's fastest, hypersonic hedgehog" (which ranges from 3,840-7,680 mph). There are as well records stating that Sonic can move faster than the speed of light, although their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. However, E-123 Omega himself calculated that Sonic's speed could potentially exceed light speed and Sonic has boasted that light speed is "small time" to him.
Sonic has demonstrated complete mastery of his speed in any environment and can use it for both high-speed offense and defense. Not only can he run at maximum tilt in straight lines, but also in full tight circles and through sharp turns with full control over his momentum. As far as stamina goes, Sonic's is seemingly limitless as he is never winded from running. His speed also allows him to perform several impressive feats; he can heal at rapid speeds, launch shockwaves by spinning rapidly, leap in midair, launch stunning waves with fast kicks, increase the force of his blows by striking with increased momentum, and create barriers of super speed. He can also spin in circles or rotate his extremities at super speed to create winds strong enough to attack or blow away opponents, similar to aerokinesis.
Sonic possesses astounding kineticism and precision, and has the reaction time to match his speed. He has profound acrobatic skills and agility, along with incredible reflexes that lets him avoid any incoming obstacles with precise and delicate movements. As seen in his first meeting with Silver, Sonic can even detect attacks beyond his field of vision due to his sharp reflexes. When launched into the air, he can also pull off several tricks before landing. He also has incredible jumping skills, capable of jumping up to several hundred meters, even with extra weight.
Sonic possesses notable strength as well. He can push and lift things bigger and heavier than himself, run without extra weight slowing him down and his attacks can smash through metal and rock, and damage foes countless times his size. However, it is debatable whether the latter's power comes from his speed, strength, or a combination of both. Sonic's strength particularly lies in his legs; with a single kick, he can topple the Egg Golem and send Badniks flying. This does not mean that Sonic's arms are not strong either; he has enough strength to tear robots apart by hands and punch through a collapsed wall.
Sonic has frequently demonstrated extreme resilience to damage. He can survive getting caught in the crossfire from all angles by Eggman's robots (which only knocked him out cold briefly), withstand the force of a massive explosion and a Hyper-go-on-based black hole unscathed, being pummeled with swords, and smash through several robots with his fist without discomfort, and take a ruthless pummeling from the Time Eater. Additionally, Sonic has more than once survived impacts from falls at extreme heights, bordering at the edge of space, only to shake it off when landing, and has even withstood atmospheric entry.
Sonic possesses an unbreakable and incorruptible spirit; in situations where most others would give up and where he is severely outnumbered and outgunned, Sonic never loses faith in himself and never surrenders. This trait enables him to keep on fighting when utterly exhausted or after taking an abnormal amount of damage. His will even lets him withstand mind-controlling powers, like the corruptive influence of Dark Gaia. Even when possessed by the Ifrit, Sonic was arguably able to occasionally regain control.
Sonic's core offensive maneuver is the Spin Attack, a technique where he curls into a concussive ball or cutting disk and directs himself at his targets. With it, Sonic can shred or burrow through just about any substance given enough speed and hit with enough force to pierce colossal boulders. Highly adept in its usage, Sonic can utilize several variants of the Spin Attack for both grounded and aerial maneuvers, including the Spin Dash, Spin Jump, Homing Attack, the super-charged Focused Homing Attack, and the Light Speed Attack, which attacks at the speed of light.
Even without his Spin Attack, Sonic is a skilled hand-to-hand combatant. He mostly relies on his fast footwork since the majority of his power lies in his legs, though he has been known to use his fists and arms from time to time, albeit in a rather straightforward manner. His fighting style is mostly derived from breakdancing moves which utilize Sonic's legs to their fullest, allowing him to deliver swift, wide-ranged kicks. He has also been known to use flying forward kicks, split kicks, and scissor kicks. Sonic is also shown to excel in swordsmanship. Even as a rookie swordsman, Sonic could beat a dragon and after receiving formal training, he could best master swordsmen like the Knights of the Round Table. In addition to using advanced techniques, Sonic can apply his speed to his swordplay for quick and swift slashes, and become a buzzsaw by spinning with his sword, enabling him to slice clean through enemies. He has also learned the martial art of Linshao Kung Fu from Shuifon, though he is yet to be seen using it.
Sonic has proven himself as a world-class Extreme Gear rider. He is said to move faster than he can run on an Extreme Gear and can go head-to-head with legendary Wind Masters like Jet the Hawk. Sonic seemingly has a knack for Extreme Gear riding, quickly grasping the controls on his first try and later developing advanced techniques despite being self-taught. After the second World Grand Prix, Sonic can be considered the best Extreme Gear rider in the world, having beaten Metal Sonic in a race, who at that point was an "unbeatable" rider with the skills of the world's finest Extreme Gear riders at his disposal.
Sonic has extraordinary skill in operating vehicles. He has excellent skills when it comes to piloting planes like the Tornado, driving and racing at high speeds in cars like the Speed Star, and water bike surfing on vessels like the Wave Cyclone. He is also experienced in a variation of sports such as boarding and surfing (he is skilled enough to keep from bailing) and other recreational activities like grinding. Sonic also appears to be an excellent gunner, capable of using the Tornado and Tornado-1's on-board weaponry with immense accuracy.
It appears that Sonic can control the strength and durability of his otherwise soft quills at will. While he is in spinball form, they appear to be extremely hard like buzzsaw blades; as demonstrated during the Neo Metal Sonic incident, his quills (and body) are durable enough to slice through battleships without even moving at the speed of sound. In addition, Sonic's quills can sense nearby dangers, which they warn him about by creating a tingling sensation. Sonic has also demonstrated the ability to transfer his speed throughout various parts of his body, allowing him to immediately set off from stationary positions and even channel it into objects to speed up their movements and make them pierce through solid objects as he does while running. He can also create an effect reminiscent of a time halt, even though it is unknown what it is derived from.
Though he does not prefer to use weapons (mainly dissing firearms), Sonic has wielded a number of tools during his adventures, albeit never permanently. During the Space Colony ARK incident, Sonic used 2G Hi-Speed Shoes, which were specifically made for grinding. Also, during the Emerl incident, he utilized deployable landmines in battle, and one time, he would wield his own version of the Piko Piko Hammer. On his trip through the world of the Arabian Nights, he also wore Shahra's Ring, allowing him to harness Shahra's magic for himself. Similarly, in the world of Camelot, Sonic would wield swords; he initially wielded Clarent, but later exchanged it for Caliburn, a sapient sacred sword with magical properties.
By harnessing the power of the seven Chaos Emeralds, Sonic can enter a Super State, transforming him into Super Sonic. Easily his most used transformation, Super Sonic is one of Sonic's strongest forms. In this state, all of Sonic's abilities far surpass his normal ones. He is also able to fly and is nearly invulnerable. However, this transformation consumes a lot of energy, meaning it cannot be maintained for long.
By using the power of the seven Super Emeralds, Sonic can achieve an extended and more powerful form of Super Sonic called Hyper Sonic. This form basically shares the same traits as Super Sonic, except Hyper Sonic commands greater power and all of his Super State abilities are greatly enhanced.
A weaker variant of the super transformation. Sonic is capable of using this mode for a brief time on his own by drawing power from the Chaos Emeralds. In Hyper Mode, Sonic's speed and attack power are greatly increased.
By harnessing the World Rings of rage, hatred, and sadness, Sonic can undergo a transformation into Darkspine Sonic. In this state, he can fly, has greater strength, unlimited usage of his Soul Gauge powers and as well elemental abilities over flames, wind and darkness. However, because of the intense emotions sealed inside the World Rings that Sonic uses to transform, he becomes slightly darker and more violent.
By using the power of the four sacred swords, Sonic is able to transform into Excalibur Sonic. This form grants Sonic a strong golden armor with a red cape, the ability to fly, greater strength and the power to wield the legendary sacred sword Excalibur.
Sonic the Werehog
After unwillingly absorbing the corruptive energies of Dark Gaia, Sonic gained the power to turn into a werewolf-like form named Sonic the Werehog at night time. In this state, Sonic loses his trademark speed, but he still retains his lightning reflexes and agility. He also gains super strength, sharp claws, extendable arms, and limited energy control. While Sonic's strong will prevents him from becoming fully corrupt like most others would, he does gain some minor feral behavior. He permanently lost this form when the energy that granted him his Werehog form was re-absorbed by Dark Gaia.
By harnessing different variants of Hyper-go-on from Wisps, Sonic can use specific Color Powers to transform into a certain form, such as a drill, a laser or even a fireball, each one possessing its own unique abilities. So far, Sonic has been able to transform into the Cyan Laser, Yellow Drill, Blue Cube, Green Hover, Pink Spikes, Purple Frenzy, Violet Void, Orange Rocket, Red Burst, Indigo Asteroid, Magenta Rhythm, Crimson Eagle, Ivory Lightning, Gray Quake, Black Bomb, and Jade Ghost. However, these transformations require a steady supply of Hyper-go-on to be maintained.
Noted to not be the strongest swimmer, Sonic is incapable of swimming properly and sinks like a stone in water. This may be due to aquaphobia (Sonic thinks that if he falls into water, he will be trapped with no one to get him out), though he does not demonstrate that fear very often. In some situations, he can bypass his weakness to water by running or sliding across its surface, leap out of the water with successive jumps, and survive extended periods of time underwater with Air Bubbles.
It has been stated that if Sonic does not sleep for eight hours during the night, it will spoil his running. In addition, he has trouble keeping his balance when coming to a sudden halt when running at high speed.
Because of Sonic's giant internal ego, he often banter and play around with his enemies. This often makes him underestimate his opponents and leave his guard down, as seen during his encounter with Infinite in Mystic Jungle during the War to Take Back the Planet and when he got trapped by Eggman onboard the Chaos Energy Cannon at the start of the Dark Gaia incident. Also, his impulsiveness and recklessness can often cause trouble, such as during the Lost Hex incident where he got rid of Eggman's Cacophonic Conch, which Eggman used to keep the Deadly Six in line, before listening to Tails' warnings about the conch.
During his adventures, Sonic has encountered many people and throughout it all, he has received many friends and foes alike. Sonic is well-known with his brotherly relationship with Tails, his friendly rivalry with Knuckles and his fierce rivalry with Shadow. Sonic's arch-enemy is Dr. Eggman, but Sonic has come across even greater enemies throughout his adventures and escapades.
Dr. Eggman is Sonic's eternal nemesis and arch-enemy, whom he has known longer than anyone else. Along with Tails, Eggman is one of the figures who has often shaped Sonic's destiny. However, their relationship is something that is surprisingly difficult to explain properly.
From Sonic's point of view, Eggman is first and foremost what can be defined as a "handful." Because of Sonic's hatred of anything unjust and how Eggman can be considered an annoying and troublesome old man who inflicts terrible things on Sonic's friends and destroys beautiful cities and nature, Sonic holds a great mutual loathing for the doctor and his ambitions and has spent years rescuing the victims of Eggman's conniving schemes. Whenever Eggman hatches a plan to conquer the world, Sonic always shows up and thwarts him. Because they always fight each other to win, Eggman has become a longtime rival of Sonic's as well as an enemy. Also, whenever Sonic's anger explodes over injustice, he always makes Eggman the receiving end of this aggression.
Despite his dislike of Eggman, Sonic has never really taken account of his adversary and does not consider him his enemy in the true sense of the word. In truth, Eggman is the kind of guy that Sonic is just willing to go toe to toe with, which does not only include battles, but also when it comes to verbal exchanges such as insults and witty quips; whenever Eggman has an insult prepared for Sonic, Sonic is equally ready with a mocking response, and the sarcastic banter between the two is always a highlight during their encounters. Whenever dealing with Eggman, Sonic remains fully confident that he can spoil his plans and never really takes them seriously. In fact, Sonic finds entertainment in spoiling Eggman's plans, seeing as a way of making his life an adventure; to Sonic, Eggman is "the one who brings adventure." Sonic is likewise so used to beating Eggman that he considers it an everyday job.
Usually, Sonic is rather frank or taunting towards Eggman and will almost always seize the opportunity to tease him with jokes and sarcasm. Sometimes, Sonic even finds Eggman more bothersome and annoying than threatening: when he discovered Eggman was behind the Time Eater during its incident, Sonic just facepalmed and shrugged disapproving. Nevertheless, he remains vigilant about Eggman and his actions, like when he alone refused to believe that Eggman had turned over a new leaf during the Wisp incident. In the cases Sonic does deem Eggman a legitimate threat though, he becomes very serious about the doctor and targets him with fierce anger. While Sonic will not admit that Eggman is a nuisance to him, this is nonetheless one aspect of Eggman that Sonic finds appealing. Also, if "adventure" can be replaced with "ambition", then Sonic could also be considered something of the sort for Eggman, which could be considered another aspect of the relationship between the true sworn enemies that they are.
When presented with a more terrible threat that endangers both of them and their goals, Sonic is willing to put aside his differences with Eggman and join forces with him to stop it. Even in such cases though, Sonic remains reluctant about it, feeling that teaming up with Eggman is like the end of the world and a dirty affair, and will in some cases suspect the doctor has an ulterior motive (which is often proven true). Because of Dr. Eggman's complicated tendency to instantly switch between morals, Sonic has a hard time figuring him out.
While Sonic has been known to make fun of Dr. Eggman by using his alias instead of his real name (which was possibly given by Sonic), he actually uses this name affectionately rather than trying to make fun of him.
In spite of Eggman's horrible deeds, Sonic is content with simply stopping him and is never out to put him out of commission for good on purpose. Because of Eggman's tendency to survive their encounters and refusal to give up however, the doctor always returns with a new scheme, prompting Sonic to stop him again. As such, Sonic remains forever locked in a conflict with Eggman where it is nearly impossible for both individuals to defeat the other once and for all, making their battle a never ending one. From the ends of the world and into outer space, the two of them will continue to clash with each other in a full-force battle of ambition and adventure.
Miles "Tails" Prower
Miles "Tails" Prower is Sonic's best friend and sidekick, as well as his most faithful and loyal friend. Besides Eggman, Tails is one of the figures in Sonic's life who has often shaped his destiny. Sonic first met Tails on West Side Island where he noticed Tails following him. Though he was not interested in Tails at first, Sonic grew impressed with his tenacity when he kept up with him and let him tag along. When Dr. Robotnik then attacked West Side Island, Sonic joined Tails when the fox followed him into the conflict. In time, Tails proved himself a great ally to Sonic, and after defeating Robotnik, the two had built the foundation for the friendship that would define their future. Eventually, Sonic took Tails under his wing as his sidekick and took upon himself to train him. In time, the fox would become his protégé. Additionally, Sonic would stop bullies from teasing Tails for his twin-tails, which only improved Tails' admiration of him.
Since meeting each other, Sonic and Tails have been inseparable, their friendship having grown to the point where they have a brotherly relationship. In Sonic Advance 3, they are noted to have an "Unbreakable Bond", and they have even been referred to as the "fastest and greatest duo". Also, when Tails was once mind-controlled into fighting Sonic, Sonic never laid a finger on him in refusal to hurt his friend. Sonic himself sees Tails as a cute surrogate/adopted kid brother and looks over him accordingly. However, he also sees Tails as a dependable sidekick and treats him as his equal partner on their adventures. The fact that Tails can as well move at great speeds by rotating his twin-tails and can fly in the air has helped Sonic many a times when he has found himself in trouble. Additionally, Tails' skills as a mechanic, as well as his intellectual prowess has aided Sonic many times on his adventures. As such, Sonic places a immense amount of trust in Tails, who expands Sonic's range of activities and sometimes lights the way for him to go. Whenever on an adventure, Sonic always asks Tails to come along and will accept his help at any time. That said, however, Sonic's impatience and recklessness will at times make him ignore Tails when he gives advice or information, often when it is most useful, though he is big enough to admit when he should have listened to him.
Sonic cares very much for Tails' well-being. He will not hesitate to threaten those who endanger him and will always make his safety his top priority, regardless of the matters on hand, like when he sent Tails away against his will when the Nega-Wisp Armor attacked them. Similarly, after Wave the Swallow mocked Tails at the first World Grand Prix, Sonic was angered by her behavior and exasperatedly defended him. When Tails finds himself in doubt, Sonic is always there to give him moral support. Throughout their adventures, the two have proven themselves a perfect team who can handle nearly anything; both provide strengths to the other's weaknesses (Sonic handles the muscle while Tails handles the smarts) and neither of them would get far without the other's aid. Tails as in particular proven himself Sonic's most reliable ally, always providing him with invaluable help, knowledge, and machines. In turn, Sonic is impressed with Tails' work and considers his technical skills unparalleled, though this faith makes him leave all the tech work to him.
Sonic usually holds absolute faith in Tails' skills, although that faith has been known to waver. When Sonic planned for Dr. Eggman to do the tech work to save the world from the Deadly Six's abuse of the Extractor, his own frustrations over having caused the mess they were in made him doubt Tails' skills. This would strain their friendship over time. At the end though, Sonic apologized for doubting Tails, mending their brotherly bond.
Perhaps the biggest strength of Sonic and Tails' friendship is the united bond their hearts share. Whenever the two are around each other, they both feel as if they can overcome any struggle they may be facing. Also, without even having to say anything to each other, they know inside of themselves what is needed of themselves to be a good partner to the other. As such, it can be speculated that there is something that surpasses even trust between the two of them.
Amy Rose is one of Sonic's oldest and most loyal friends, and his self-proclaimed girlfriend. Since meeting Sonic, Amy has looked up to him as her hero and been madly in love with him, and her greatest wish is to marry him. Sonic first met Amy during his adventures on Little Planet where he saved her from Metal Sonic and Dr. Robotnik's captivity which made them fast friends. Right from the start though, Sonic has not liked her like a girlfriend or reciprocate her advances. However, this attitude has done nothing to deter Amy.
Since their first meeting, Amy has chased Sonic down wherever he goes, with Sonic seemingly unable to escape her, and has tried to win his heart by any means. Sonic, however, is rather annoyed by her affection and even disturbed by her over-the-top displays, which makes him treat Amy as little more than an annoyance and deem her weird. As such, Sonic considers Amy a near constant pain in his life. Whenever Amy tries to show him affection, Sonic gets rather uncomfortable, exasperated or embarrassed and will try to avoid her when she goes overboard, usually by running away or by more rude means. Rejecting the idea of marrying Amy, Sonic would rather go on without aid from Amy at all to avoid making a deal about marrying her; during the Space Colony ARK incident for example, Sonic rejected getting vital intel that Amy had on Shadow, whom Sonic sought payback at, when she asked him for his hand in marriage in exchange. Additionally, Sonic fears Amy's anger; he will become nervous or run away when he thinks he has provoked her, and Sonic often finds himself overwhelmed by her powerful personality. Usually, that leads to Sonic going along with Amy's demands for a date or wishes to come along on his adventures, although he always seize the opportunity to run away from her scot-free when he can. Over the course of the series, Sonic running away from Amy has become a running gag.
Regardless of how much dismay Amy has put Sonic through, she is still considered one of his closest friends and a reliable partner of his. It is stated that in his heart he may not dislike her as much as it seems, and that deep down he might actually have some feelings for her. During the Dark Gaia incident, Sonic was even stumped that Amy did not recognize him as the Werehog, and when he shortly after saved her from some of Dark Gaia's Minions, he initially chose to run away than face her with his condition. Fortunately, after learning that Sonic was inside the monster form, she claimed to him that he was still the Sonic she loves. Additionally, during the Lost Hex incident, Sonic was crestfallen when he thought Amy and the others had died from the Extractor.
When Amy does show maturity, Sonic's friendship with Amy becomes much more positive. An example of this is shown just before and during Dodon Pa's Grand Prix, where Amy very rarely obsesses over him, which in turn makes Sonic more comfortable about being around her, like when she invited him to a picnic, and he agreed.
Overall, Sonic cares about Amy as a good friend and worthy comrade whom he can rely on, and he appreciates her efforts to help him when she is not flirting with him. Their relationship has been described as somewhat subtle in nature. In reality though, Amy's self-paced temper and the untidy reaction that comes from Sonic in these situations is more or less a stable and carefree exchange between the two. Though it also may be due to Amy's spirit, during the adventures and competitions they have been through, a certain bond of trust has grown between Sonic and Amy. In fact, because of the long relationship they have had for some reason, they have gotten a deepened understanding of each other.
When Amy is in trouble, Sonic will likewise always be there to help her out should the need arise, though he tends to overlook her when she is caught in the middle of his showdowns with the villains.
Metal Sonic is Sonic's robotic alter ego, created by Dr. Eggman for the sole purpose of destroying him. However, even though their appearances are similar, there is a certain difference between the two of them that goes beyond their obvious physical dissimilarities. While Sonic enjoys life freely and lives for adventure, Metal Sonic is obsessed with the one purpose he was made for and will cut off anything not related to that goal. As such, even though they are both super-speedy hedgehogs (albeit with one of them being a robot), their worldviews are completely different.
Metal Sonic is one of Sonic's earliest foes and his first true rival, being able to copy both his speed and power. Both of them share a strong rivalry with each other. Sonic first encountered Metal Sonic on Little Planet where the robot kidnapped Amy Rose, forcing Sonic to defeat him to save Amy, inadvertently turning Metal Sonic from one viewing him as an enemy into a bitter and deadly rival. However, it can be said that Sonic's first victory over Metal Sonic was more than just the beginning of their ongoing conflict, but also a "fated" relationship that would be reduced to "rivalry". Even so, Sonic has never considered Metal Sonic his enemy in the true sense of the word. Sonic in particular affectionally refers to Metal Sonic as "Metal", and though he recognizes him as a formidable opponent, he seems to enjoy their battles as worthy games between rivals.
Since meeting each other, Sonic and Metal Sonic have almost always fought whenever they meet, never once having an instance where their objectives align. In Sonic's opinion, Metal Sonic is the worst creation Dr. Eggman has ever made due to how it always causes trouble for him, and he views Metal Sonic as a very serious threat. Regardless, Sonic always remains confident that he can beat Metal Sonic and considers him a "lame robot copy" which can never match up to the original that is him. Still, this does not keep him from enjoying pitting his skills against his. Despite being determined to not let Metal Sonic win in their clashes though, Sonic does not want to have unfair advantages over Metal Sonic or have his victories over Metal Sonic handed to him by default. As such, Sonic will willingly put all he has on the line if Metal Sonic is willing to do the same, gracefully accept a tie with him if Metal Sonic has earned enough of his own fair share of victories to match his, or even denounce an easy chance at victory if Metal Sonic cannot compete any further.
While Sonic has many rivals, Metal Sonic is special in his own right. As Sonic's rival, while Metal Sonic is a tremendously powerful combatant, it cannot be denied that a large proportion of Metal Sonic's skills are committed to speed competitions, as he was designed to defeat Sonic by outmatching his speed. As such, Metal Sonic's speed capabilities make him an outstanding rival to Sonic.
Over time, Sonic and Metal Sonic have had countless fights, with Sonic always managing to either beat or tie with Metal Sonic in the end, though not without cutting it close on most occasions. However, Sonic's triumphs over Metal Sonic have only increased Metal Sonic's hatred for Sonic and endowed him with an unhealthy obsession to surpass and defeat him. At one point, Metal Sonic's hatred and obsession for Sonic pushed him over the brink, making him usurp control of the Eggman Empire to build a robot kingdom with the goal of killing Sonic. He even adopted the warped belief that Sonic was his copy and that he was the real Sonic.
Since Metal Sonic is a machine, Sonic cannot tell what his robot double is thinking. Sometimes however, Sonic can feel Metal Sonic's will, his excitement, and his iron-clad determination to win. Even from a distance in the middle of a race, Sonic can occasionally feel Metal Sonic's determination, like a burning sensation. Even when knowing that and racing him with a serious attitude though, Sonic cannot help but get excited about competing against Metal Sonic like this while pushing himself further to overcome him. Also, despite them being enemies/rivals, Sonic still have some concerns for Metal Sonic, as he is willing to try and warn the robot for the latter's own safety when he is pushing his body to the point of self-destruction. Even more so, he cannot help but feel a strange sense of relief when Metal Sonic survives his own reckless attempts to defeat him.
While Sonic has always managed to survive his clashes with Metal Sonic, he rarely condemns him for his villainous actions in the aftermath. Instead, he always gets a satisfaction from the challenges Metal Sonic provides him with and will promise his robot double that he will await any future rematch between them.
Knuckles the Echidna
Knuckles the Echidna is one of Sonic's greatest rivals and best friends. They have known each other for a long time, but their relationship is somewhat complicated, the two of them having been summed up as "best frenemies." When Sonic first met Knuckles, they two of them had a shocking and dreadful encounter, with Knuckles trying to keep Sonic from stopping the Death Egg's re-launch after being deceived by Dr. Robotnik. As such, they started off as adversaries. However, when the echidna discovered that Robotnik had tricked him, the two of them joined forces to keep Robotnik and his robots from stealing the Master Emerald, and they departed on good terms.
Because of their first impressions of each other and their personalities and competing feelings, Sonic and Knuckles did not start out as "good friends". In fact, Sonic and Knuckles are much like oil and water. While Sonic exemplifies the wind and is laid-back, cool and free, Knuckles exemplifies the mountain and is stern, serious and unmovable, which cause them to argue a lot. They share a competitive rivalry and often end up fighting when clashing, although it has become less serious in recent times, being now more of a form of slapstick between the two. With Sonic's speed equaling Knuckles' strength in every way, their fights are anything between climactic to just plain funny.
Sonic always welcomes a challenge from Knuckles. He also enjoys poking fun at Knuckles whenever he can (usually when Knuckles is serious or insightful) and will even deliberately try getting him angry so he can get a reaction out of him. From Sonic's point of view, their relationship tends to work out with him always having to bail Knuckles out of trouble. On a personal level however, Sonic also respects Knuckles for his dedication, although it also makes him want to poke fun at him even more.
Due to his lack of social abilities in the past, Knuckles used to fall for Dr. Eggman's deceiving very often, which, in turn, would be the cause of most of his confrontations with Sonic, although as time passed, the echidna has generally become more aware of Eggman's plans and has stopped believing his claims regarding Sonic. Whenever Sonic discovers Eggman has tricked Knuckles, he tends to chide him by calling him "Knuckle-head," which Knuckles does not take too well, though they always make peace with each other at the end of the day.
Despite their differences, after having several adventures together since meeting each other, Sonic and Knuckles' relationship have improved, and they have always rushed to each other's aid when they are in a pinch. The two of them are connected by a hot-blooded friendship and while they may exchange quips and complain to each other, they are in perfect harmony when it comes time to act. Small details aside, they both know what is really important. In fact, when it all comes down to it, Knuckles can be considered Sonic's best friend next to Tails. It can even be argued that the two of them are as close to each other as Sonic and Tails are, as the nature of their rivalry/friendship lets them have a relationship that does not require any restraint. Also, according to Tails, Sonic and Knuckles are "funny" together.
While Sonic does not hold back on Knuckles' shortcomings, the two of them deeply acknowledge each other. Nonetheless, Sonic is still somewhat reluctant to admit when Knuckles is right and he was wrong. While Knuckles at times rebuts his help and claims he could do better, Sonic just rolls with it and is merely glad to help him. They are also great and loyal teammates. In addition to Knuckles being a vital part of Sonic's team, the two of them have been called "Fighting Buddies" during the Gemerl incident. Noticeably, when they do manage to work together, Sonic and Knuckles form an unstoppable team. For better or worse, Sonic will also be there to give Knuckles needed, if not harsh, consoling whenever he is in doubt. Additionally, during the Lost Hex incident, Sonic was crestfallen when he thought Knuckles and the others had died due to the Extractor.
Shadow the Hedgehog
Shadow the Hedgehog is Sonic's arch-rival. They look almost identical (to the extent that many initially got them confused), and they can match each other in speed, agility and abilities, including Chaos Control. The two of them first met each other as enemies, with Sonic holding a grudge at Shadow for getting him into trouble with GUN, but they put aside their differences to team up and save the world from Gerald Robotnik's doomsday plans. Since then, they have been both lethal adversaries and comrades.
The only similarity Sonic and Shadow share is their silhouette, as their personalities and tendencies are completely different. In fact, Shadow is one of the most formidable opponents to Sonic in every way and the antithesis to all that Sonic stands for. As such, since they first met, they have fought, argued, and even had outright death matches. Despite this, Sonic is never out to take Shadow's life and does not consider him an enemy in the true sense of the word. In contrast, Shadow's cold-hearted nature and willingness to use any means necessary to achieve his goals has a dangerous purity to it that sometimes makes him an enemy of Sonic. Their moral differences are as far apart as black and white as well, always causing the two of them to clash. Sonic has a joyful, free-spirited attitude that looks for fun adventures, while Shadow is a brooding loner with a merciless and excessively violent edge. Sonic has few limitations on his goals and will do anything to help save the world, but Shadow will stop at nothing to get what he wants, with little concern for who or what it affects. Another sharp contrast between them is that Sonic lives freely as he wishes without thinking about the pain of the past, while Shadow has let himself be haunted by his own painful experiences. Nevertheless, Sonic does not care about their clashing world views and they always see their conflicting differences as yet another reason to fight each other.
Both Sonic and Shadow share a strong rivalry. When they first met, Sonic accused Shadow of copying him, with Shadow maintaining a mutual belief regarding Sonic. This feeling is still present in both of them because each thinks he is better than the other. Regardless, their rivalry has developed over time and is now much more friendly than before, yet still fiercely intense.
Out of all his rivals, Shadow is the one whom Sonic struggles most with. As shown in all their clashes, they are each other's equal, with both sides neither lacking in any category that separates them from skill in their respective prowess: while Sonic is becoming faster and more honed than Shadow, Shadow is becoming stronger and more destructive than Sonic, which has only increased the intensity of their rivalry. They have an unshakable need to showcase their growth and improvement for every encounter they have, and anything considered competitive is suitable for their rivalry, though Sonic usually remains more casual about it than Shadow and enjoys pitting his skills against his.
Despite their differences, Sonic and Shadow share a mutual respect for each other's abilities, though it did not start out like that. In fact, over the course of their first encounters during the Space Colony ARK incident, they collided with each other several times, each with a fierce opposition to the other, as they saw each other as a rival who might be more than an equal. However, they eventually reached the internal conclusion where they mutually recognized each other’s abilities (although they would never admit that to each other). Even so, Sonic himself has personally acknowledged Shadow's capabilities, even admitting that Shadow is only one who would have a chance against him in a race, and after Shadow sacrificed himself to save the world at the end of the Space Colony incident, he recognized him as a brave and heroic hedgehog. Sonic also appears to hold faith in Shadow's sense of right and wrong to a certain extent as seen in some of the scenarios of during the Black Arms incident where he would show disbelief and confusion about Shadow siding with the Black Arms, even admitting in one scenario that he did not believe Shadow had it in him for his selfish acts. At the same time though, Sonic can be surprised by how Shadow, for all his cold-heartedness, is willing to secretly fight for world peace, although he knows that Shadow is not willing to let his guard down when questioned about it.
Regardless of their disagreements, they are willing to put their differences aside for the greater good, and together they are an unbeatable team. Overall, there is always extreme tension between Sonic and Shadow, but they have matured over time, with Shadow having more faith in Sonic's capabilities and Sonic becoming more tolerant of Shadow's violent tendencies.
If there is one thing that can be said about Sonic and Shadow, it is that they are rare ones who can get up close and personal with each other. Because of the high performance of both Sonic and Shadow in terms of their physical abilities and their thoughts, there are not many who can keep up with them. Also, there are fewer still of the ones who, despite their rejection, are able to persist, to offer opinions, to meddle, or to stand in their way and try to stop each other like those two can. In fact, Sonic is perhaps the only person who can get so up close and personal with Shadow as he can and say something to him that reaches his heart (though it often does not). In a sense, Sonic's kind of presence is troublesome to Shadow, but it is also one of the most important ones. Regardless of much of an impact they each have on each other, the two of them both share the philosophy of following their hearts' desires, which makes them colliding with each other, crossing paths with each other, and sometimes dividing into friend and foe.
Rouge the Bat
Sonic and Rouge the Bat do not seem to have any dislike for each other, despite the latter having antagonized Sonic's friends, notably Knuckles, on various occasions. In fact, they appear to be on good terms. They were initially enemies when they first met (though they did not interact until much later), mainly because Rouge was working with Shadow and Dr. Eggman, but they became allies towards the end in order to save earth. Also, after Shadow's supposed death after defeating the Finalhazard, Sonic comforted Rouge by giving her Shadow's Inhibitor Ring, showing that he had come to care about Rouge's feelings.
Even when antagonized by Rouge herself, Sonic has yet to hold anything against her. Most noticeably, during the Emerl incident, Rouge challenged him to a battle; if she won, he would have to get her gems and work for her. Although Sonic managed to win, he did not hold any grudge against her as seen later on. Later, Sonic even let Emerl say hello to Rouge, which suggests Sonic somehow trusts her. However, even Sonic noted during the Wisp incident that she is a shady character, suggesting that he knows he has to be careful around Rouge due to her mercenary nature.
At his birthday party, Rouge was shown to be one of the attendees. Sonic likewise treated her like all of his other friends, which shows a friendly relationship between them. Additionally, Rouge would return this friendship by showing up to motivate Sonic to defeat the Time Eater during the final battle.
Although they do get along with each other quite well, they still have been on opposing sides on a few occasions, like during the Neo Metal Sonic incident when Team Sonic and Team Dark fought in Lost Jungle, and during the Emerl incident when she kidnapped Emerl to train him to be a thief. He also told her that if she did something to Emerl, he would not let her off easily. Also, when Rouge was introduced to Emerl, she gave them an idea to help Emerl, but Sonic refused, calling her "a thief". Whether this means their friendship has grown since then or that Sonic just does not trust her completely is yet to be seen. While there is technically no hostility between the two, Sonic, along with Tails and Knuckles, displayed some noticeable disgust towards Rouge's selfishness during the second World Grand Prix where she and Shadow held no empathy for their teammate E-10000B, and exerted him past his limits in order to get the cash prize.
Overall, Sonic sees Rouge as a "dependable suspect", though the "suspect" part never bugs him as he deems it to be part of the "thrilling appeal" of Rouge. This means that Sonic can be confident about the accuracy of the information Rouge brings to him and her ability to search for it at all times. However, she often hides more important information or the real purpose of giving him the information from him, so he must always be on his guard around her, or otherwise, she will take advantage of him. When Sonic does find himself duped and usurped by Rouge, he is understandably miffed about it, and will therefore make sure that he gets the last laugh. Nonetheless, he is not willing compete with her over something as a Chaos Emerald, which does not belong to anyone in particular, when the world is not in immediate danger, showing a respect for Rouge's desire for jewels.
Most of the time, the conversations between Sonic and Rouge are often "probing", camouflaged by jokes, but Sonic loves to joke and talk lightly, while Rouge is a sarcastic person. Still, both Sonic and Rouge enjoy these conversations that play out their "good-natured" rivalry, and can think of each other as people they can rely on in times of need, with appropriate levels of trust and caution. Rouge's presence in Sonic's life brings many new developments to the adventures he goes through.
Cream the Rabbit
Cream the Rabbit is basically like a younger sister to Sonic. Cream similarly looks up to Sonic like an older brother. Sonic first met Cream and her Chao companion Cheese during the incident where Dr. Eggman kidnapped the pair, thus leaving it to Sonic to rescue them. After saving the pair, Sonic was amazed by Cream's politeness. Afterward, Sonic ran off to settle the score with Eggman, only for Cream to come along in order to save her mother. Towards the end of this adventure, where Eggman kidnapped Vanilla in front of Cream, Sonic's resolve to stop Eggman was strengthened upon seeing Cream weep over the loss of her mother, prompting Sonic to go Super Sonic and save the day, much to Cream's eternal gratitude.
Because their first meeting was so brief, there was no deeper interaction between Sonic and Cream. However, it seemed that the small and polite Cream left an impression on him. Since then, they have teamed up on a number of adventures, with Cream proving to be an asset to Sonic many times. Even so, Sonic is still concerned with Cream's safety and is well aware that her young age makes her less experienced and more vulnerable than his other companions. For example, when they met during the Gemerl incident, Sonic mainly took Cream with him on his adventure because she was not safe unchaperoned. Sonic thus actively tries not to involve Cream in some of his more dangerous adventures, even when she follows him around trying to convince him to let her tag along.
When interacting with each other, Sonic never raises his voice in front of Cream. Instead, he always talks calmly and gently on the same level as her while using a lot of encouraging gestures. During the Time Eater incident for example, Sonic encouraged her bravery while she was turned to stone by the Time Eater with a thumbs up and a smile. However, he sometimes has trouble finding the right words when needing to tell Cream that she is too young to go on some of his more dangerous adventures, as he knows Cream does not enjoy being treated like a little kid. Even so, Sonic recognizes Cream's thirst for adventure and desire to get involved in the same experiences as him. Sonic is similarly willing to offer Cream words of encouragement when she feels down. In order to make her understand what the best adventures for her mean, Sonic has also taught Cream that being on an adventure means being both kind and strong. This has helped Cream understand that by just showing kindness towards others while Sonic supplies the muscle, she can still have the best adventures with Sonic without having to endanger herself.
During their adventures together, Sonic has shown that Cream can rely on him like an older brother to keep her safe and make everything turn out well. Even Sonic cannot stop himself from sometimes petting Cream and feeling the need to protect her like he actually was her older brother.
Team Chaotix is a group of detectives for hire and another faction of Sonic's trusted friends and allies. They are also the only detectives Sonic knows. Sonic first met Team Chaotix during the climax of the Neo Metal Sonic incident. There, the group agreed to back Sonic and his team up by occupying Metal Sonic while Sonic and his team prepared to take him down with the Chaos Emeralds. Since then, Sonic and Team Chaotix have been on good terms, with the team even coming to attend Sonic's birthday party during the Time Eater incident, which seems to hint that they are close friends. When it comes to trusting Team Chaotix's detective work though, Sonic has his doubts about their capabilities and does not necessarily think highly about them in that field, having once noted that following a lead from Team Chaotix was a "dumb idea." Nonetheless, Sonic seems to trust Team Chaotix to be ready for action when he is. Also, while he may get confused by how this strange group of people manage to stick together, he does not really dislike the bonds they share.
Sonic has unique relationships with each of Team Chaotix's members. In regards to Vector the Crocodile, Sonic keeps a casual friendship with him. Having earned Vector's recognition, the two of them hang out from time to time as friends and they do not shy away from making fun of one another in a relaxed manner. Sonic in particular likes poking fun at Vector for his shortcomings, including his agency's almost perpetual work drought and his big mouth (figuratively and literally). Vector also seems to respect and relate to Sonic's free-spirited nature, which make them hit it off well. Occasionally though, their big egos have made them clash. Sonic can likewise get caught unprepared by Vector's positive attitude and proclamations of professionalism, especially when he relies on him to verify them, although he is supportive enough to not directly disagree with Vector's claims. When they work together, Sonic has also been known to have issues with Vector’s messy and outlandish investigation skills. Despite this, Sonic can rely on Vector when the situation calls for it, like when Vector helped him by giving him the support needed to take down the Time Eater. He has also been surprised and even impressed by Vector's kindheartedness, keen intellect, and trust. Notably, Sonic is able to look through Vector's goofy façade and is willing to put his faith in him when he recognizes that there is defined method in his otherwise unconventional methods. Also, at the end of the day, they are willing to acknowledge each other for being more than meets the eye.
In regards to Espio the Chameleon, Sonic has a bit more respect for him than Vector, taking the warnings he gives him quite seriously. However, he does not hold his profession as a detective in high regards, as he playfully thinks that he is just "playing" detective. Nonetheless, Sonic appreciates Espio's recognition of his skills, and has even managed to earn the straight-laced chameleon's respect. Espio even once offered Sonic to join him on the path of ninjutsu, although Sonic declined, thinking this path was "a bit too narrow" for him. Sonic similarly recognizes Epsio's militaristic drive to improve himself, although being the easy-going person he is, it makes him advise Espio to not push himself too hard. Also, while the two of them have been on opposite sides once, Sonic can rely on Espio when the situation calls for it, like when Espio helped him by giving him the support needed to take down the Time Eater.
Charmy Bee is the youngest member of Team Chaotix, and also the one Sonic arguably has the simplest relationship with. Sonic in particular has earned both Charmy's respect and admiration with his skills and speed, causing Charmy to look up to him and praise him with child-like enthusiasm. Sonic is also amazed by Charmy, although not so much by his personality or skills, but rather by how surprisingly scatterbrained and carefree the young bee can be, even when on a serious job with his colleagues. He is likewise confused and puzzled by Charmy's mindset and overall behavior. Regardless, Sonic can rely on Charmy when the situation calls for it, like when Charmy helped him by giving him the support needed to take down the Time Eater.
Blaze the Cat
Blaze the Cat is one of Sonic's friends and a valuable ally of his. However, they did not get off on the right foot. When they first met during the Sol Emerald incident, the mysterious attitude that Blaze showed Sonic when their paths first crossed made Sonic concerned that she had a part in Eggman Nega's latest scheme. After learning that Blaze was opposing Eggman Nega as well and trying to resolve the current crisis, albeit alone, however, Sonic became more friendly towards her and tried to encourage her to seek aid, only to be rejected. Sensing some oddness in Blaze's response, Sonic kept following Blaze. However, Blaze's refusal to let Sonic get entangled in her affairs eventually let to Blaze trying to make Sonic leave by force. After their fight however, Sonic had come to understand that Blaze had had a rough past and encouraged her to not assume too much responsibility and be true to herself. This advice helped Blaze realize that she could allow herself to rely on others if she let her guard down. The two of them became real friends afterwards and would subsequently help each other resolve the crisis brought on by Dr. Eggman and Dr. Eggman Nega. Since then, Sonic and Blaze have steadily become better friends and allies.
Sonic, especially during their first adventure together, found Blaze way too tense and harsh after hearing her threats of using lethal force to stop Eggman Nega, as well as a bit overzealous. However, he mellowed out about his opinions of her as he came to understand Blaze's rough past. In addition, after they became friends, Sonic would come to establish a firm belief in Blaze, insisting that believing in a friend is a part of friendship as well. Over time, Sonic and Blaze have come to share a great deal of mutual respect and trust. This became evident when Sonic entrusted her to save Cream, while Blaze trusted him to face Eggman Nega on her behalf. Also, like Blaze respects Sonic and his skills, Sonic has acknowledged Blaze's. Also, whenever Blaze's emotions get the better of her, Sonic will be there to remind her of what is important and to stay cool. They have also displayed an occasional custom where they shake hands when they depart, signifying their growing friendship and the promise to meet once more.
Sonic and Blaze are alike in many ways, having similar skills and self-assumed duties. On the other hand, they possess very different backstories and contrasting traits, the most obvious of them being Sonic and Blaze's "free" and "stoic" personalities: Sonic is inwardly free and adventurous, yet outwardly level-headed and cool, whereas Blaze is outwardly stoic and blunt, yet inwardly highly emotional. When it comes down to it, Sonic's way of life is vastly different from Blaze's. However, Sonic's way of living life like an adventure also means that there is no enjoyment to be found in it if one does not follow their own rules, which demands a strong and flexible mind; in other words, It does not just mean being lax. It is thanks to this perspective that Blaze has been able to achieve some of the results that are nothing short of admirable and have brought smiles to many faces. As such, Blaze respects Sonic's way of life to a certain extent, because he has a different perspective and approach, but also produces results that overlap with the direction she is aiming for.
Sonic is responsible for many changes in Blaze's outlook on life; their time together has enabled Blaze to understand the meaning of friendship which ultimately let her to discovering the true power of the Sol Emeralds and how to use them, and his advices have made Blaze come to understand that her pyrokinetic powers were not the curse she made them out to be.
A far as his present-day relationship with Blaze goes, Sonic has been show to welcome Blaze's distant and noble earnestness that does not let her get up close and personal with people easily. Sonic recognizes as well that while there has been a change in Blaze's heart since their first adventure together, which he has happily welcomed, he knows that the roots in Blaze's nature still makes her shy and withdrawn. Also, because of her sense of responsibility, Blaze tends to push herself to solve things on her own, but Sonic does not stop her from doing so any more than necessary. This may be due to how Sonic respects Blaze's freedom to do what she wants. However, he also seems to respect her personal principles of doing the best she can with pride in the position she is in, which he does not have. It is because of Blaze's endearing trails that Sonic is able to trust and cooperate with her when the time comes. They are also shown to be great partners in combat, displaying a brilliant coordination that makes it hard to believe that they do not see each other often.
Additionally, the situation of living in different dimensions also affects Sonic's relationship with Blaze. Fundamentally, since they both live in different worlds, it is for the best that they take care of their own world. While they respect and honor that, they also cooperate with each other in times of real trouble. This is a difficult balance to achieve, but so far it seems to have been adjusted to some extent by the guidance of the Chaos Emeralds and Sol Emeralds. And the fact that Sonic and Blaze are the ones who are responsible for this is another interesting aspect of their relationship.
Silver the Hedgehog
Silver the Hedgehog is a good friend and friendly rival of Sonic's. They originally met during the Solaris incident, where Silver started out as a lethal enemy to Sonic, as Silver believed (at the time) that killing Sonic would prevent the event that would devastate his era. Even with Silver seeking his death though, Sonic was far more lenient towards Silver, a prime example of this being Sonic checking up on Silver to see if he was okay after beating him in their first fight. However, letting his guard down around Silver would result in Sonic putting his life at risk. Even so, Sonic did not seem to carry a grudge at Silver for his attempts at his life; after Silver appeared to help Sonic save Elise from Dr. Eggman and explained that "circumstances have changed", Sonic quickly teamed up with Silver with a smile on his lips, and proceeded to work together with him. Towards the end, Sonic would as well impress Silver with his faith in him and willingness to help save his era as well. At that point, Sonic appreciated Silver for everything he had done for him. Due to a time paradox pulled off by Sonic and Elise however, Sonic and Silver's first encounter was erased from history, causing them to forget their friendship.
Sonic and Silver eventually met again during the Onyx Island incident. In this encounter, Sonic was annoyed by Silver's impatient and pushy attitude, but nonetheless gladly welcomed the challenge he gave him when they competed to get to Eggman Nega first. He would occasionally even tease Silver with clues he had been missing. In the end though, the two of them put their differences aside and worked together to stop Eggman Nega's master plan. When they later met again during the Ifrit incident, Sonic had become more tolerant of Silver's attitude, as demonstrated by how Sonic casually greeted Silver in spite of the latter's impatience, while retaining his competitiveness towards Silver. When not competing with each other though, Sonic and Silver are much more relaxed towards each other; when they met during the Wisp incident, Sonic and Silver were able to maintain a friendly and positive-minded conversation, and Silver was even willing to offer Sonic his help with the current crisis.
Nowadays, Sonic and Silver are very friendly towards each other. Sonic in particular has gotten Silver's respect and unwavering support to rely on; during Sonic's final showdown with the Time Eater, Silver came to Sonic's aid by giving him the support needed to take down said monster. Regardless, they still retain a friendly rivalry; during the Time Eater incident in particular, whenever Sonic would challenge him to a fight, Silver would note that their showdown was going to be a fun activity.
In regards to what kind of person Silver is to Sonic, there is no doubt that Sonic values Silver's character because of his abilities and his positive mental attitude. To put it in another way, one could say that Silver is a reliable person who has something that Sonic does not. This "something" is namely Silver's tendency to deal with things too head-on because of the strength of his feelings and how he usually takes everything upon himself, unlike Sonic who is always calm and cool and free to act as he pleases. However, Sonic recognizes the appeal of the qualities Silver has as they are an aspect of his purity and endearing virtues. Also, while they have not had many adventures where the two of them spend a lot of time together, when they do team up, they are good buddies who can make up for each other's shortcomings.
Jet the Hawk
Sonic has been rivals with Jet the Hawk since they first met, and their dynamic relationship is based on their competitive nature and distinct respect for one another. The main difference in personality between Sonic and Jet, however, is that they both have giant egos which are portrayed in different ways. Sonic's ego comes from his positive attitude and belief that he can do anything whereas Jet's comes from thinking he is better than everyone. This causes their personalities to clash.
In their first meeting, Sonic lost to Jet in an Extreme Gear chase, but rather than being upset, Sonic eagerly recognized him as a worthy new rival. Early on though, Sonic's rivalry with Jet was rather one-sided, and Jet would often anger Sonic with his constant mockery of him. Nevertheless, Sonic recognized Jet's skills as an Extreme Gear rider and kept a professional, yet competitive, attitude around him. Eventually, Sonic settled his own dispute with Jet after he beat him in a race. Soon after, they would establish a more friendly relationship based on mutual respect, and promised each other to compete again later, though they still remain firm rivals.
Despite their rivalry, Sonic and Jet are willing to put aside their differences when a greater threat is present. In fact, they have teamed up on a few occasions.
Since defeating Jet, Sonic has kept a more relaxed and tolerant attitude towards Jet, taking his insults and rash determination to beat him in stride. Nevertheless, their rivalry remains as strong as ever, and Sonic will gladly, if given the right opportunity, race him for fun. However, even when determined to beat Jet, Sonic does not wish to have any unfair advantages, and will give Jet the chance to race him at his best. Despite how many times they face each other, their rivalry has seemingly no end in sight, although Sonic always looks forward to his next rematch with Jet.
Sonic and Princess Elise the Third had a very close relationship with each other, and they shared a strong bond. Mephiles was aware of this, and decided to take advantage of it, so he killed Sonic which caused Elise to cry, which freed Iblis. Elise later revived Sonic with the Chaos Emeralds, kissing him as he awakens as Super Sonic. Sonic was very grateful towards Elise, thanking her with a hug. After the defeat of Solaris, Sonic and Elise found Solaris in its frail, core form. She theorized that by putting out the flame now, Solaris would have never existed, which would make it so that she would never have met Sonic. Elise nearly broke down and declared that she did not care what happened to the world, but Sonic simply reminded her to smile, convincing her to be brave and blow out Solaris. This event instantly resulted in a time reboot. In the aftermath, Sonic watched the Festival of the Sun in the distance as Elise sensed something familiar about his presence.
Marine the Raccoon
Marine the Raccoon is a good friend of Sonic from Blaze's world, as they quickly befriended each other soon after meeting. When making herself captain, Marine declared Sonic one of her assistants despite Sonic never agreeing to it. Sonic was likewise genuinely annoyed by Marine's antics, her bossy behavior, and the way she insisted that he followed her orders. Though Marine would get jealous at Sonic for tackling their more dangerous enemies, she admires his skills and marked him as her "best pupil" and deputy captain. Despite this, Sonic was willing to endure it, as he often noted how "hopeless" a case Marine was.
When Marine learned that Sonic thought of her as a nuisance, she felt betrayed and called him stupid. They later made up though when Marine stopped bossing Sonic around. When Sonic later departed Marine's home with Tails, Marine earned his respect with a newfound sense of maturity and told him how he and Tails were the best friend ever. Though she cried at Sonic's departure, she vowed to meet him and Tails again no matter the boundaries.
When Sonic first met Shahra, she asked for his help so that he could save her world from the Erazor Djinn. While Sonic agreed to help, he could only go into Shahra's world on one condition; he had to wear a ring and have her serve as his wish granter. Although Shahra was bound to treat Sonic as his master from then on and would refer to him "Master" on several occasions after that, Sonic would feel uncomfortable about this title and insist that she referred to him by his real name.
Like his other allies, Sonic would go to great lengths to keep Shahra safe. This led him to take the shot from Erazor Djinn's Flame of Judgment curse when he tried to cast it on Shahra. With the curse slowly burning away Sonic's life force, Shahra regretted getting Sonic involved in her world's affairs. Not wanting Shahra to feel sad, Sonic promised her with a pinky swear that he would have her smiling at the end of this adventure, not as her master but as a friend.
Throughout their adventures, Sonic would often annoy Shahra with his reckless behavior and easy-going attitude. Nevertheless, they were never apart from one another, and Sonic often received helpful advice from Shahra. Also, while Sonic was curious about Shahra's relationship with the Erazor Djinn, he respected Shahra's privacy enough to not press her for details when she was reluctant to reveal it. Regardless, towards the end of their adventure, the two of them had built up a relationship of great trust, enough for Shahra to tell Sonic about her own wish: for the Arabian Nights to go back to the way they were.
When the time came to face Erazor, Sonic, much to his shock, saw Shahra force herself to obey Erazor. Refusing to let Shahra go through with this and let her wish be in vain, Sonic commanded her, as her master for the first time, to "do what you truly think is right". This caused Shahra to faint. When Shahra later took a lethal blow from Erazor to protect Sonic, Sonic assured her in her final moments that he held no ill will against her for bringing him into this mess in spite of what she thought herself. Later, Sonic forced Erazor to revive Shahra with the first of the three wishes he was forced to grant him, hinting that he prioritized Shahra before anything else. After then sealing Erazor away, which made Shahra cry, Sonic wished for a mountain of handkerchiefs so she could cry for as long as she needed to.
Sonic has been enemies with the Erazor Djinn ever since he found out that the Djinn had been erasing the pages of the Arabian Nights. Being against any form of evil, Sonic tried to stop him from carrying out his ambitions.
When meeting him, Sonic casually treated Erazor like any other power-hungry despot he had faced by showing no fear of him and teasing him with his carefree banter. However, he came to dislike Erazor greatly for constantly calling him a rat, and would attempt again and again to remind him that he was a hedgehog. Meanwhile, Erazor initially just saw Sonic as an insignificant vermin. However, when Sonic took the Flame of Judgment for Shahra in their first encounter, Erazor decided to use Sonic and told him to gather the seven World Rings for him before the Flame of Judgement burned out, or he would die.
Throughout their subsequently encounters, Sonic would casually ask Erazor to remove the curse he had place on him while both teasing him and maintaining his bravado in the face of the Djinn's malice. When Sonic finally arrived with the World Rings however, Erazor betrayed him, and attempted to kill him to gain full access to the World Rings' power. After defeating Erazor, Sonic, using Erazor's Magic Lamp, wished for Erazor to bring Shahra back to life, restore the Arabian Nights, and spend eternity trapped in his lamp, all of which Erazor has no choice but to do. Sonic also showed disappointment in Erazor as he got dragged into his lamp while begging for Shahra to help him.
Knights of the Round Table
When Sonic and the Knights of the Round Table first met, they started off as enemies, as the formers were ordered to slay Sonic on sight by King Arthur. However, Sonic's adversarial relationship with the group came to an end when he gained their respect, and when they realized Arthur was a fake. Individually, Sonic would often make comparisons to their counterparts, and kept a casual, yet vigilant attitude around them.
When Sonic first met Sir Lancelot (the alternate reality doppelgänger of Shadow), who challenged him to a duel, Sonic displayed an attitude similar to the one he shows towards Shadow; a competitive, but fierce demeanor. Despite this, Lancelot had a small degree of respect for Sonic, as he respectfully acknowledged him as a worthy adversary.
Sir Gawain (the alternate reality doppelgänger of Knuckles) held an inhospitable attitude towards Sonic, and accused him of trying to steal a dragon's treasure before attempting to slay Sonic. Sonic however, was reluctant to fight Gawain since he was in a hurry to save some villagers, and would admit out loud that he was a knucklehead, much like Knuckles. Regardless, Sonic later stopped Gawain from committing suicide. Sonic would then slightly open Gawain's eyes to new possibilities when he asked him if there was more to being a knight than serving a king.
Initially, Sir Percival (the alternate reality doppelgänger of Blaze) was another adversary of Sonic. However, it was not until Sonic came after her sword that they met. In comparison to the other knights, Percival was the only one who showed Sonic respect from the beginning. She then challenged him, under the name "Sir Sonic, Knight of the Wind", being the first person to call him that. After Sonic defeated her, Percival fell off a ledge, but was saved by Sonic. Although Percival was confused by Sonic's act of chivalry, she nonetheless did not object to this. Percival would later repay Sonic's kindness by being the first of the Knights of the Round Table to show faith in him when he came to them with news about their king.
Chip (also known as Light Gaia) is a dear and good friend to Sonic. When Chip first met Sonic, he was afraid of his Werehog form, but he soon realized he was a good person. When Sonic then told Chip that he would help him recover his memories, Chip quickly took a liking to Sonic and thanked him wholeheartedly. In addition, Chip subconsciously felt kindness in Sonic and wanted him to help him.
Chip spent most of his time next to Sonic, and soon formed a great friendship with him. Chip also enjoyed participating in friendly competitions with Sonic, like when they fought for the last dumpling in Chun-nan. However, Chip was sometimes a nuisance to Sonic due to his naive frankness would occasionally annoy him, although he never had a bad intention. Also, when he accidentally caused Sonic to become depressed with his Werehog form, Chip tried to cheer him up.
After recovering his memories, Chip was deeply grateful to Sonic for everything he had done for him. However, he did not want Sonic to get involved in his conflict with Dark Gaia and he tried to leave. However, Sonic persuaded him to help him anyway, and Chip thanked him. During his battle with Dark Gaia, Chip prioritized Sonic's well-being whenever he was weak, such as when he was weakened by the loss of Dark Gaia energy or when he fell unconscious after defeating Perfect Dark Gaia. When the last continent fell and they had to leave, Chip gave him a goodbye before returning him to the surface. There, Chip contacted Sonic telepathically, telling him that he would never forget him and that he would always be with him.
Sonic has a very loving relationship with the Wisp race of aliens. Sonic first encountered these alien beings during the Wisp incident in Dr. Eggman's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park, where his first action upon seeing Yacker and a Cyan Wisp being hunted by Dr. Eggman's henchmen was saving them from capture. This small, but significant gesture, earned Sonic the trust of the Wisp race, and thus the Wisps' permission to use their Color Powers. The first Wisp Sonic personally befriended in particular was Yacker, who would not only become a good friend to Sonic, but also a vital supporter in his efforts to liberate the remaining Wisps in Dr. Eggman's captivity. In the meantime, the other Wisps served as Sonic's powerful assistants, giving him the edge to overcome many of the obstacles during the Wisp incident. Eventually, the Wisps had become very grateful to Sonic, so much that they saved his life when Dr. Eggman's Incredible Interstellar Amusement Park imploded and saved Sonic's world from a black hole made from Hyper-go-on.
To Sonic, the Wisps are good-natured playmates, and the two parties share a mutual love for one another. Because the Wisps love to play, and Sonic loves to have fun, they get along very well. In addition, thanks to the Wisps' Color Powers Sonic is able to make his runs faster, more fun, and more varied. The Wisps are likewise fun for Sonic to run with. In the end, Sonic could not ask for better playmates than the Wisps. Their adventures throughout the Wisp incident have likewise made Sonic and the Wisps best friends. As such, they will play together when they meet and rush to the aid of each other whenever something happens. Also, while they may not be able to communicate verbally without a translator, they can always communicate with each other with their hearts, giving them a very good heart-to-heart relationship.
The Deadly Six
The Deadly Six are some of the most despised enemies Sonic has ever faced. Unlike his past foes whom he has never viewed as actual enemies, the Deadly Six are the only ones Sonic has shown true contempt for.
Sonic first met the Deadly Six while they were under Eggman's control, where he treated them with confident mockery like any foe. However, when Sonic recklessly got rid of the Cacophonic Conch used to control the Deadly Six, they rebelled and planned to destroy the world, making Sonic responsible for the subsequent danger to the planet. As such, Sonic set out to stop them with more seriousness. He soon grew extremely hostile towards them when they captured Tails, an act of which made Sonic lose his cool for once. As he sought to save Tails, Sonic threatened the Deadly Six with aggressiveness and spite which only intensified as Zavok taunted him with his plans to roboticize Tails and his friends' apparent deaths. By the time of their final showdown, Sonic was thoroughly tired of them and threatened them aggressively when he thought they had turned Tails into a robot. In the end though, Sonic defeated the Deadly Six and got Tails back, redeeming himself and proving himself the hero he is.
When encountering Zavok again (or rather, his replica) aboard the Death Egg, his demeanor towards him was more laid back, as evidenced by Sonic engaging in his usual confident mockery towards Zavok both prior to and immediately after the fight.
Sonic is shown to be on very good terms with Classic Sonic. When they first met during the Time Eater incident, they were left somewhat confused about standing face-to-face with another one of themselves, although they put that aside to sort out the crisis at hand. After that, they quickly forged a bond based on their common interest in the adventure they faced together.
Due to having so many things in common with each other, Sonic and Classic Sonic have demonstrated great collaboration and teamwork in battle. Overall, Sonic and Classic Sonic share a great degree of mutual respect and admiration for each other, and Sonic seems to enjoy teaching Classic Sonic techniques he has yet to learn, such as the Homing Attack and the Boost.
Sonic first encountered Infinite in the City, where he was beaten easily by the mysterious henchman of Dr. Eggman. Later, when encountering Infinite at Mystic Jungle and had his first formal meeting with Infinite, Sonic dismissed the latter's insinuation that his sweat was due to fear and explained he ran all the way to the location to save Silver, and also proceeded to smugly explain to Infinite that the latter failed to leave an impression on him at all despite the earlier beating, not even knowing his name. Upon learning it, however, Sonic, in his trademark banter, then tried to get Infinite to reveal the secret to his power, although Infinite refused to divulge the ability. He also expressed some annoyance at the latter's reference to him as a "sewer rat."
Sonic met the Avatar after the former escaped from the Death Egg and latter having arrived with a shuttle to rescue him. Together they proceeded to team up on various missions. He ultimately inspired the Avatar to not give in to their fear against Infinite. Likewise, the Avatar was shown to be loyal to Sonic, making an attempt at saving him from the Null Space, and ultimately succeeding, despite being sucked in with him. After the war was over, Sonic suggested they would see them around when the Avatar went their own way and took their leave from the Resistance after it was disbanded.
- Miles "Tails" Prower (best friend and sidekick, close as brothers)
- Knuckles the Echidna (best friend and rival)
- Amy Rose (close friend)
- Big the Cat
- Cream the Rabbit
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Rouge the Bat
- E-123 Omega
- Vector the Crocodile
- Espio the Chameleon
- Charmy Bee
- Mighty the Armadillo
- Ray the Flying Squirrel
- Bean the Dynamite
- Bark the Polar Bear
- Lumina Flowlight
- Blaze the Cat (close friend)
- Coconut Crew
- Marine the Raccoon
- Silver the Hedgehog
- E-102 Gamma
- Vanilla the Rabbit
- The President
- Princess Elise
- Ali Baba
- Sinbad the Sailor
- King Shahryar
- King Solomon
- Knights of the Round Table
- Shade the Echidna
- Professor Pickle
- Chip (good friend)
- Professor Pickle's Assistant
- Classic Sonic
- Classic Tails
- Avatar (partner)
- Dodon Pa
- Shadow the Hedgehog (arch-rival)
- Knuckles the Echidna (friendly rival)
- Silver the Hedgehog
- Jet the Hawk (in speed)
- Metal Sonic
- Eggman Empire
- Fang the Sniper
- Captain Whisker
- Eggman Nega
- Mini & Mum
- Black Arms
- Babylon Guardian
- Erazor Djinn
- Dark Gaia
- King Arthur
- Classic Eggman
- Time Eater
- The Deadly Six
- Masato Nishimura on Twitter (Japanese). Twitter (9 July 2017). Retrieved on 6 December 2018.
- Sonic Channel (Japanese). Characters: Sonic. Sega. Archived from the original on 26 May 2019. Retrieved on 3 July 2015.
- Sonic the Hedgehog Technical Files
- Media:CS S US.png
- Devra Newberger Speregen (2016). Sonic: The Ultimate Character Guide. Scholastic. p. 7. ISBN 978-1338033243.
- Pedigree Books (August 2013). "Sonic's Count the Rings Time Trial". Sonic the Hedgehog Super Interactive Annual 2014. Pedigree Publishers. p. 9. ISBN 978-1908152077. "Fact: Sonic hates lies and always searching for the truth!"
- Sonic to Shadow before battling him after Final Rush.
- "Profile: Sonic". Sonic the Hedgehog Super Interactive Annual 2014. Pedigree Books. 17 September 2013. p. 14. ISBN 978-1908152077. "Sonic's birthday is June 23rd and he was born on Christmas Island."
- Devra Newberger Speregen (September 2016). "5: Sonic's Friends and Foes!". Sonic: His Amazing History!. Scholastic. p. 55. ISBN 978-1338033236. "BIRTHDAY: June 23"
- Yuji Naka / 中 裕司 on Twitter (Japanese). Twitter (23 June 2020). Archived from the original on 23 June 2020. Retrieved on 27 January 2021. "Happy birthday Sonic!! 今日でソニックも29周年ですね。 6月23日をソニックの誕生日って僕が決めたのですが、今思うと色々と気になります。 ソニック誕生日にソニックナノブロックが届きました。 日本では今週映画ソニック公開で楽しみです。 みなさんソニックを長く愛してくれてありがとうございます"
- Sega Visions Interview with Yuji Naka (October 1992). Archived from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved on 28 July 2007.
- Yuji Naka / 中 裕司 on Twitter (Japanese). Twitter (24 January 2021). Archived from the original on 24 January 2021. "悔しいのでもう一度挑戦しましたがもっと判らなかった感じです。「セガの看板キャラクターであるソニック。世に出る前に彼に付けられていた名前を選べ」と言う問題が判りませんでした。作った人なのにね
- Sonic the Hedgehog – Developer Interview Collection. Retrieved on 19 May 2018.
- Brandon Sheffield. Out of the Blue: Naoto Ohshima Speaks. Gamasutra. Retrieved on 2009-12-13.
- Yahoo Playback. Yahoo Playback #94. Yahoo, Inc.. Retrieved on 2009-12-13.
- Brian Ashcraft. Sonic's Shoes Inspired by Michael Jackson. Kotaku. Retrieved on 2009-12-13.
- Revealed: Why Sonic can't swim (February 2009). Retrieved on 2009-02-27.
- Masato Nakamura interview (flash). Sonic Central. Retrieved on 2006-02-07.
- Sega Video Game Illustrations. Nippon Shuppan Hanbai (Deutschland) GmbH. 1994. ISBN 3-910052-50-9.
- Sega of America. Sonic the Hedgehog. Sonic Characters. Sega of America. Archived from the original on 5 March 2005. Retrieved on 26 October 2017. "Like the wind Sonic never stands still and is always on the move. Sonic is cool under pressure, particularly when faced with his arch enemy, Dr. Eggman. He thinks that saving the world is no big feat, and he always protects and fights for the underdog. Sonic hates boredom and is constantly looking for his next adventure. Sonic lives and dies by his own rules. He never thinks twice about what others think or say; he is driven by his own sense of justice and fair play. Sonic was born to run and loves to cover as much ground as fast as he can. His demeanor is always cool and calm. When he finds himself in a pinch, he acts as though no thing can stop him. When faced with a serious situation, Sonic bears down on the task at hand, focused on the challenge."
- Sega. Official Sonic Heroes website (Japanese). Characters: Team Sonic. Sega. Archived from the original on 7 December 2004. Retrieved on 25 May 2021.
- Sonic the Hedgehog Technical Files
- Sega. ソニック ＆ ブレイズ 前編 (Japanese). かべがみカバーストーリー. Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 22 October 2021.
- Sonic Heroes (PlayStation 2) United States instruction manual, p. 4.
- Shadow the Hedgehog (Nintendo GameCube) United States instruction booklet, pg. 7.
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008). In-game description of the "Sonic" trophy.
- Sonic Unleashed (Xbox 360) United States instruction booklet, p. 4.
- Sumo Digital (23 February 2010). Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: Character Select screen. "Sonic the Hedgehog's profile card: Sonic is the world's fastest hedgehog, capable of running at the speed of sound (768 mph). His other abilities include a “Spin Attack”, a “Spin Dash” and his “Super Sonic” transformation which makes him indestructible and gives him the gift of run-flight. Sonic is not an expert swimmer, but is fearless – even of Dr. Eggman. Alongside his best friend Tails, Sonic runs around the world stopping Dr. Eggman's schemes."
- SONIC RUNNERS[SEGA]. Sega. Archived from the original on 26 February 2025.
- Sonic Generations (Xbox 360) United Kingdom instruction booklet, p. 4.
- SEGA (23 June 2016). Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games Wii U. Nintendo. Area/Level: Collectibles (Flags). "A blue hedgehog with a penchant for high speed, Sonic is a free spirit with a love for adventure. He despises anything that is unfair and will get into trouble to help anyone in need. For Sonic, saving the world is just another thrilling episode in his life."
- Sonic Team (1 November 2011) Sonic Generations. PlayStation 3. Sega. Cutscene: The Final Battle!. "Sonic: Destroy me? You and what mustache? I beat you all the time by myself, and now there's two of me!"
- Sonic Team (7 November 2017). Sonic Forces. Nintendo Switch. Sega. Area/Level: World Map. "Shadow: Exactly. As it stands, there's no way we can win this. / Sonic: Of course we can win this! We always do! We just haven't figured that part out yet."
- Sega (3 December 2021). スーパーソニック ＆ Dr.エッグマン 後編 (Japanese). かべがみカバーストーリー. Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 3 December 2021.
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (24 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. PlayStation 3. Sega. Cutscene: Battleship explosion (Sonic Episode).
- Sega of America. Sonic Q and A. Sega of America. Archived from the original on 13 June 2004. "Jake B.: Which bad guy is the biggest pain in your neck? Dr. Eggman, Metal Sonic, Shadow the Hedgehog, Other? / Sonic: Well I really don't consider any of these guys my enemy in the true sense. Dr. Eggman has always found a way to make life an adventure for me and I love spoiling his evil plans. As for Shadow and Metal Sonic, I just enjoy testing my skills against them too. You know me, I love adventures!"
- Sega (29 July 2021). ソニック ＆ ルージュ 前編 (Japanese). Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 29 July 2021. Retrieved on 26 October 2021.
- Sega (17 August 2021). ソニック ＆ ルージュ 後編 (Japanese). Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 17 August 2021. Retrieved on 26 October 2021.
- Sonic and the Secret Rings
- Sonic Team, Dimps (November 12, 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Sweet Mountain. "Sonic: Heh! That was barely a warm-up! / Silver: Not half bad, Sonic. / Blaze: You're even sharper now than when we last met."
- Sonic Team (7 November 2017). Sonic Forces. Nintendo Switch. Sega. Area/Level: Vs. Infinite. "Infinite: Impossible! Your abilities exceed your previous data! / Sonic: Unlike mechs, I can grow. I get more powerful every second! / Infinite: I will teach you to hold that tongue next time we meet. You can count on it."
- Sonic Rivals (PlayStation Portable) United States instruction booklet, p. 8.
- Sega of America. Sonic Q and A. Sega of America. Archived from the original on 13 June 2004. "From Your Ultimate Fan: How fast can you go (MPH) and how long would it take you to run around the world once? Also, who could beat you in a race, Knuckles, Tails, Shadow, Cream, Rouge, Amy or Dr. Eggman? / Sonic: I have the ability to instantly accelerate to the speed of sound. That's about 760 MPH at 59*F...pretty fast, huh? The only character that would really have a chance against me would be Shadow…but then again, I've never lost a race!"
- Sonic Team (6 February 2004). Sonic Heroes. PlayStation 2. Sega. Area/Level: Opening (Team Sonic).
- Sonic Team (13 March 2009). Sonic and the Black Knight. Wii. Sega. Cutscene: Opening.
- Sonic Unleashed (PlayStation 3) European instruction booklet, pg. 12.
- Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast) United States instruction manual, p. 18.
- Audureau, William; Petronille, Marc (1 January 2013). The History of Sonic the Hedgehog. UDON Entertainment. ISBN 978-1926778563. "During the day, he was his usual self, able to run anywhere at the speed of light; but at night, he became a slow and savage "werehog", prone to giving his enemies violent smackdowns."
- "Profile: Sonic". Sonic the Hedgehog Super Interactive Annual 2014. Pedigree Books. 17 September 2013. p. 8. ISBN 978-1908152077. "Sonic runs faster that the speed of light and according the Guinness Book of Records, he is officially the fastest video game character of all time!"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/level: Asteroid Coaster. "Sonic: Too Easy! / Omega: Data 130% higher than previous entry. Suspected error... / Tails: Nice run, Sonic! / Omega: Impossible... At this rate, light speed will be exceeded. / Sonic: Light speed? That's small time. There's no challenge! / Omega: Does not compute..."
- Sonic Rivals 2 (PlayStation Portable) United States instruction booklet, pg. 7.
- Sonic's Side Smash, Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Cutscene: Silver appears (Sonic Episode).
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Cutscene: The Chaos Emeralds entrusted (Sonic Episode).
- Sonic Team (3 May 2002). Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Nintendo GameCube. Sega. Area/Level: Egg Golem (Dark story).
- Sonic Team (19 November 1993). Sonic the Hedgehog CD. Sega CD. Sega. Area/Level: Credits.
- Sonic Team (13 March 2009). Sonic and the Black Knight. Wii. Sega. Cutscene: World Destruction.
- Sonic Team (4 November 2011). Sonic Generations. PlayStation 3. Sega. Cutscene: The Final Battle!.
- Sonic Team (13 March 2009). Sonic and the Black Knight. Wii. Sega. Cutscene: Queen of the Underworld.
- Sonic Team (November 19, 1993). Sonic the Hedgehog CD. Sega Mega-CD. Sega. Area/Level: Opening sequence.
- Sonic Battle (Game Boy Advance) United States instruction booklet, p. 3.
- Sonic Team (27 February 2004). Sonic Battle. Game Boy Advance. Sega. "Sonic Flare: Sonic's heavy attack. He performs a Downward Kick using break dance moves, which knocks opponents away."
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
- Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (Wii) United Kingdom instruction booklet, p. 4.
- Sonic's Up Throw, Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Sonic Team (20 February 2007). Sonic and the Secret Rings. Wii. Sega. Level: Dinosaur Jungle. "Sonic: Uhh. My quills are starting to tingle..."
- Sonic Unleashed (Wii/PlayStation 2)/Sonic Generations (Console/PC)
- Sonic Team (15 November 2005). Shadow the Hedgehog. Nintendo GameCube. Sega. Area/Level: Westopolis. "Sonic the Hedgehog: To swap your weapon for another weapon that's on the ground, just press the X Button! Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead using those things!"
- Sega of America. Sonic Q and A. Sega of America. Archived from the original on 13 June 2004. "Darrell C: Why did you change your shoes in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle? / Sonic: Those were special shoes that were specifically made for grinding. It was something that I've always wanted to try and it sure came in handy! Look forward for some more intense and extreme grinding in my next adventure, Sonic Heroes."
- Sonic Team. Super Sonic's official character profile from Sonic Team (Japanese). Sega of America. Archived from the original on 2008-07-01. Retrieved on 25 June 2008.
- Sonic Team (9 December 2008). Sonic Unleashed. PlayStation 3. Sega. Level/Area: Adabat. "Brenda: Is there anything you CAN'T do, Sonic? Any weaknesses? [Answer is revealed to be "I can't swim."] Great! What a scoop! This matches all my other data perfectly!"
- Sega of America (February 2004). Sonic Central. Sega of America. Archived from the original on 24 January 2004. "Sega.com: Sonic sure is busy -- how many hours of sleep does he need per night? / Yuji Naka: Hmm, I suppose he sleeps the ordinary eight hours a night or so, because unless he sleeps well, lack of sleep will affect his run..."
- Sega (10 December 2021). スーパーソニック ＆ Dr.エッグマン キャラクター紹介 (Japanese). かべがみカバーストーリー. Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 10 December 2021.
- Black, Fletcher (14 November 2006). "Cast". Sonic the Hedgehog: Official Game Guide. Prima Games. p. 5. ISBN 978-0761555100.
- Sonic Colours (Nintendo DS) United Kingdom instruction booklet, p. 3-4.
- Sonic Generations (Xbox 360) United Kingdom instruction booklet, pg. 5.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Mega Drive) Japanese instruction booklet, pg. 7-10.
- Sonic Team (1 November 2011) Sonic Generations. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: Egg Dragoon. "Sonic: No, seriously, we beat this guy every time. It's like it's our job or something!"
- Sonic Team (18 October 2013). Sonic Lost World. Wii U. Sega. Area/Level: Tropical Coast. "Sonic: Pfft, yeah well, teaming up with you feels like the end of the world, Eggman. I'm gonna want to take a long shower by the time we're done."
- Prima Development (20 June 2001). "Dr. Robotnik, a.k.a. Eggman". Sonic Adventure 2: Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Prima Games. p. 3. ISBN 978-0761536147.
- Sega of America (February 2004). Yuki Naka on Sonic's Past, Present, and Future part 2. Sega of America. Archived from the original on 24 January 2004. "Sega.com: Did Sonic have a hand in changing Dr. Robotnik's name to Dr. Eggman for the United States games? If so, was he trying to make fun of his nemesis? / Yuji Naka: To tell the truth, his name has not changed. Robotnik is his real name and Eggman is a common name taken after his shape. Possibly, it may have been Sonic, who uttered this alias for the first time! I feel, though, Sonic uses this name affectionately rather than trying to make fun of the doctor."
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Mega Drive) Japanese instruction booklet, pg. 4-8.
- Sega of America. Miles "Tails" Prower. Sonic Characters. Sega of America. Archived from the original on 5 March 2005. Retrieved on 26 October 2017. "Tails is a young fox that has a knack for building things. He's as talented as Dr. Eggman, but has yet to discover the true potential of what he really can accomplish. Sonic has taken Tails under his wing and treats him like a younger brother. Tails wants to prove to Sonic that he's someone to be counted on. Besides his ability to fly using his twin tails, he has become an experienced pilot with the "Tornado," a plane that Sonic helped him build. Tails' fearless character and natural talent with mechanical devices come in handy to help Sonic out of danger."
- Sonic Team (13 March 2009). Sonic and the Black Knight. Wii. Gallery. Vault 5. [Blacksmith] "His real name is Miles Prower. His nickname is Tails. As Sonic's protégé, he loves to tinker with gadgets. He is only 8 years old."
- Sega of America. Sonic Q and A. Sega of America. Archived from the original on 13 June 2004. "JamMai6: Have you ever wished you had a brother? I don't mean Shadow. / Sonic: Well I actually have a little "adopted" brother in Tails. He and I go way back! Ever since I stopped the bullies from teasing him about having two tails, he's been like my shadow, following me on every adventure. He's a really cool inventor and has mad mechanical skills to boot!"
- Sega. ソニック ＆ テイルス (Japanese). Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 22 December 2020. Retrieved on 23 December 2020.
- Sonic Heroes (PlayStation 2) North American instruction manual, pg. 5
- Sonic Team (10 November 2010). Sonic Free Riders. Xbox 360. Sega. Area/Level: Dolphin Resort. "Tails: Just make sure you take enough time to tune up your Gear, okay, Sonic? You always leave all the tech work to me. / Sonic: Heh, well of course! I know you'll do it better than anybody else!"
- Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast) United States instruction booklet, p. 24.
- Sega of America. Amy Rose. Sonic Characters. Sega of America. Archived from the original on 5 March 2005. Retrieved on 26 October 2017. "Once Sonic saved Amy from the clutches of Dr. Eggman in Sonic CD, the two became fast friends. Amy is graceful and powerful at the same time and though she often gets into trouble, she is stronger than most give her credit for. She has a big crush on Sonic and wouldn't mind if they became more than friends, but Sonic is too busy saving the world to think about having a girlfriend, let alone a wife and kids! With her Piko Piko Hammer and Tarot Cards, Amy has proven herself a valuable member of Sonic's team."
- Character Introduction: Hero/ characters for 2P battle. Archived from the original on September 27, 2011. Retrieved on November 30, 2014.
- Sonic Advance 3 (Game Boy Advance) United States instruction booklet, pg. 16.
- Sonic Heroes (PlayStation 2) United States instruction booklet, pg. 8.
- Sonic Team, Sonic Team USA (18 June 2003). Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut. Nintendo GameCube. Sega. Area/Level: Station Square. "Sonic: I give up! She's so weird!/Ugh, that girl is such a pain!"
- Sega of America. Sonic Q and A. Sega of America. Archived from the original on 13 June 2004. "Dudenc2: Hey Sonic, who is a better friend, Amy Rose, Cream, Knuckles, or Tails? / Sonic: They're all my friends…I like them all, but that Amy sure can be a pain…sometimes or should I say most of the time!"
- Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (Wii) United Kingdom instruction booklet, pg. 6.
- Sega. ソニック ＆ エミー (Japanese). Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 22 February 2021. Retrieved on 24 February 2021.
- Prima Development (20 June 2001). "Amy Rose". Sonic Adventure 2: Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Prima Games. p. 3. ISBN 978-0761536147.
- Sonic Team (9 December 2008). Sonic Unleashed. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: Spagonia. "Amy Rose: I still can't believe it's you inside that... THING. But! No matter the package, you're still my Sonic, Sonic!"
- Sonic Team (6 February 2004). Sonic Heroes. PlayStation 2. Sega. Area/Level: Metal Overlord. "Metal Overlord: Sonic... I was created for the sole purpose of destroying you."
- ソニック & メタルソニック (Japanese). Sega. Archived from the original on 21 May 2021. Retrieved on 23 May 2021.
- Sega of America. Metal Sonic. Sonic Characters. Sega of America. Archived from the original on 5 March 2005. Retrieved on 26 October 2017. "Metal Sonic was created by the evil genius, Dr. Eggman, and is one of Sonic's earliest foes. He is modeled with extreme accuracy after our blue hero, giving him the ability to predict Sonic's moves and match his great speed. The red-eyed Badnik first appeared in Sonic CD in 1993."
- Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (Nintendo GameCube) United States instruction booklet, pg. 19.
- Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Sega CD) Japanese instruction manual, pg. 7.
- Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (7 December 2007). Sonic Rivals 2. PlayStation Portable. Sega. Area/Level: Neon Palace Zone. "Sonic: I got a bad feeling about this, Tails! Whenever Metal Sonic's involved, it always means trouble!"
- Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (1 December 2006). Sonic Rivals. PlayStation Portable. Sega. Area/Level: Death Yard Zone. "Sonic: What, that lame robot copy of yours again? You really need to get a hold of some better toys, you know. / Eggman: Heh heh heh... The previous Metal Sonic was able to capture data from your last match... Data I was able to recover! I've already upgraded this new model with that data so that it'll be wise to your little tricks. This time, it's YOU who's going to get sent to the junkyard, Sonic! / Sonic: A copy is still just a copy! It'll never be able to top the original!
- Sonic Team (25 February 2015). Sonic Runners. iOS. Sega. Area/Level: Episode 50-4: Boiling Point 4. "Sonic: Broooooooom! / Metal Sonic: Zzzzzzeowww! / Sonic: Uh-uh-uhhh! Not this time! BrrrooooooOOOMMM! / Metal Sonic: ...?! ZzzzzzzzzZZZIP...I (splutter) ZZZZZZZZZIP - Hiss... Fizzz... Kaff! Ssssss... / Tails: Metal Sonic's overheated! He just can't handle the speed! / Knuckles: He's outta the game! And he didn't make it to the finish line, which makes Sonic the winner by default! / Metal Sonic: ... / Sonic: No, we won one race each! That makes it a tie! / Metal Sonic: Zzzip? / Sonic: Whoa, that was fun! We should do this again sometime, Metal Sonic! / Metal Sonic: ...Zip zip!"
- Sonic Team (6 February 2004). Sonic Heroes. PlayStation 2. Sega. Area/Level: Ending sequence (Last story). "Sonic: Anytime you want a rematch, just let me know. I'll be waiting."
- SEGA (23 June 2016). Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games Wii U. Nintendo. Area/Level: Collectibles (Flags). "A red echidna that boasts some serious muscle, Knuckles is what one might call "best frenemies" with Sonic."
- Sega. ソニック ＆ ナックルズ (Japanese). Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 20 January 2021. Retrieved on 27 January 2021.
- Sega of America. Knuckles the Echidna. Sonic Characters. Sega of America. Archived from the original on 5 March 2005. Retrieved on 26 October 2017. "Knuckles was born alone on Angel Island, brought into this world to defend the Master Emerald. That is Knuckles' destiny and fate. If Sonic exemplifies the wind, then Knuckles is the mountain: stern and unmovable. Knuckles is quick to anger, but cool and determined in battle. Even though he considers Sonic his friend, the disposition of the Master Emerald is his ultimate concern. His determination to protect the gem from harm or ill use is set in stone and is unshakable. He is often envious of the adventurous lifestyle Sonic lives and the fame that has followed from Sonic's deeds, but Knuckles is well known in his own right, as a treasure hunter versed in the martial arts."
- Sonic Advance 3 Japanese website (Japanese). Retrieved on 1 May 2015.
- Sonic Team (6 February 2004). Sonic Heroes. PlayStation 2. Sega. Area/Level: Ending sequence (Team Sonic). "Knuckles: Boy, talk about cutting it close... / Sonic: Eeh, not really. / Knuckles: Come on, tell me you weren't scared. If it wasn't for us, you wouldn't of had a chance! / Sonic: Well, maybe you're right. Thanks Knuckles."
- Sonic Heroes (PlayStation 2) United States instruction booklet, pg. 6.
- Sonic Team (4 November 2011). Sonic Generations. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: Collection Room. "Shadow's character profile: Created as the "Ultimate Life Form" by Professor Gerald Robotnik, Dr, Eggman's grandfather, Shadow is the spitting image of Sonic, sharing his agility and speed. He has a strong sense of purpose and pursues his goals by any means necessary."
- Sonic Team (13 March 2009). Sonic and the Black Knight. Wii. Area/Level: Gallery. "Vault 5. [Lancelot]: His real name is Shadow the Hedgehog. He is a black hedgehog and he is fast like Sonic. Though Sonic's rival, he is also a comrade."
- Sega (28 June 2021). ソニック & シャドウ (Japanese). Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 28 June 2021. Retrieved on 28 June 2021.
- Sumo Digital (23 February 2010). Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: Shadow the Hedgehog's profile card. "Shadow is an artificial life form, created by Dr. Eggman's grandfather. His initial hatred of Sonic has now developed into a friendly rivalry."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Asteroid Coaster. "Shadow: I'm happy to leave the racing around all day to them, thanks. / E-123 Omega: Unable to process. According to data, your ability equals Sonic's."
- Sonic Central: Since Shadow is Sonic's enemy, what does this game mean for Sonic? Is he your main enemy in this game? How does Robotnik fit into things? / Sonic Team: Shadow is more of a nemesis to Sonic rather than a true enemy; they may be adversaries but there is a mutual respect between the two of them.
- Sonic Team, Sonic Team USA (3 May 2002). Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Nintendo GameCube. Sega. Area/Level: Finalhazard. "Sonic: Shadow, I understand. You're unstoppable. Let's destroy this creature now! Everyone is waiting for us back on earth!"
- Sonic Team, Sonic Team USA (3 May 2002). Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Nintendo GameCube. Sega. Area/Level: Ending sequence. "Rouge: Do you really think... that the professor created Shadow to carry out the revenge on all those who live there, on earth? / Sonic: He was what he was. A brave and heroic hedgehog, who gave his life to save his planet. Shadow the Hedgehog..."
- Sonic Team, Sega Studio USA (18 November 2005). Shadow the Hedgehog. PlayStation 2. Sega. Area/Level: Sonic and Diablon (Final Haunt). "Sonic: Shadow! Why are you siding with those black creature?! / Shadow: Siding with them? You're joking, right? I'm just siding to whoever goes up against you . This time, you're going down, Sonic! / Sonic: If that's how it's gonna be, Shadow, then bring it on! / Shadow: Just say when"
- Sonic Team, Sega Studio USA (18 November 2005). Shadow the Hedgehog. PlayStation 2. Sega. Area/Level: Sonic and Diablon (Black Comet). "Shadow: Finally... I've got ALL the Chaos Emeralds! / Sonic: Shadow... Why... why are you siding with them?"
- Sonic Team, Sega Studio USA (18 November 2005). Shadow the Hedgehog. PlayStation 2. Sega. Area/Level: Sonic and Diablon (Final Haunt). "Shadow: Finally... I've got ALL the Chaos Emeralds! / Sonic: Man... I didn't think you had it in ya."
- Sonic Team (25 February 2015). Sonic Runners. iOS. Sega. Area/Level: Birthday on Windy Hill. "Sonic: Shadow's never going to change. Still, it was good to see him, however briefly. Now, let's keep moving!"
- Sega (18 August 2021). ソニック ＆ ルージュ キャラクター紹介 (Japanese). Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 18 August 2021. Retrieved on 31 August 2021.
- Sonic Advance 3 website (Japanese). Retrieved on 1 May 2015.
- Sega (20 April 2021). ソニック ＆ クリーム (Japanese). Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 21 April 2021. Retrieved on 21 April 2021.
- Dimps, Sonic Team (7 June 2004). Sonic Advance 3. Game Boy Advance. THQ. Area/Level: Cyber Track Act 3. "Sonic: Hey, Cream / Cream: Long time no see, Sonic! / Sonic: What are you doing here? / Cream: Taking a walk with Cheese. But we're lost. / Sonic: This area isn't safe. Let's go! / Cream: Ok! Let's go Cheese!
- ソニック ＆ ベクター (Japanese). Sega. Archived from the original on 22 March 2021. Retrieved on 24 March 2021.
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Planet Wisp. "Espio: Stealth is the foundation of any investigation. / Tails: Does that mean you're here on business? / Espio: You could say that. / Sonic: You guys are still playing private eye, huh?"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Planet Wisp. "Tails: Did you find Eggman? / Sonic: Nope. Didn't see him. I guess it was a dumb idea to work off a lead I got from Chaotix."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Planet Wisp. "Vector: You really are something else, Sonic. / Sonic: Heh, that was nothing! / Vector: Now if you could just learn to shut that big mouth of yours. / Sonic: You're one to talk about big mouths, Vector. / Vector: Hey, lay off. I'm a crocodile!"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Planet Wisp. "Sonic: Yo, Vector. / Vector: Oh, it's you two. Look, I'm busy right now, so scram, would you? / Sonic: And here I didn't think you guys ever got busy. / Vector: What?!"
- Sonic Team (4 November 2011). Sonic Generations. PlayStation 3. Sega. Cutscene: The Final Battle!.
- Sonic Team (4 November 2011). Sonic Generations. PlayStation 3. Sega. Cutscene: Rescuing Espio.
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Planet Wisp. "Espio: Your speed escapes the naked eye. You would make a fine ninja, Sonic. / Sonic: Aw, thanks! / Espio: Would you walk the path of ninjutsu with me? / Sonic: Ninjutsu, huh? Sorry, but I think that path's a bit too narrow for me."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Planet Wisp. "Espio: Impressive! / Tails: Do you do this sort of thing every day, Espio? / Espio: Training is discipline. Some things are invisible to the untrained eye. / Sonic: Just try not to push yourself too hard, man."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Planet Wisp. "Charmy: That was sooo fast! You're awesome, Sonic!."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Planet Wisp. "Charmy: Whoa, Sonic! And Tails! What are you guys doing here? / Sonic: We were just going to ask you that. You been playing here the whole time? / Charmy: No, silly! I came to... Er, I came to... Wait, why did I come here? / Sonic: Charmy..."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Planet Wisp. "Tails: So did you really just come here for fun?/ Charmy: No, I'm pretty sure I was on some kind of job... / Sonic: A job? / Charmy: But who cares about that? I'm ready to have some more fun! I'm gonna go try that ride over there next! / Sonic: Looks like he hasn't changed a bit, either."
- Sonic Team (4 November 2011). Sonic Generations. PlayStation 3. Sega. Cutscene: Rescuing Charmy.
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zone Map (Sonic). "Tails: I don't know... It might have something to do with Eggman Nega. / Sonic: I'm also concerned about that mysterious girl you saw, too."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zone Map (Sonic). "Sonic: Who are you? Do you know anything about Eggman Nega? / Blaze: It's none of your business. This is my responsibility, so I'll deal with it. / Sonic: Hey, that's not how it works around here. / Tails: The space-time continuum tear has spread. Does this involve you? / Blaze: um... / Sonic: So, there is a relationship. / Blaze: I said this is MY problem. Don't bother me!"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Dead Line (Blaze). "Sonic: Hey, not bad. / Blaze: I... I must save the Sol Emeralds. I must.../ Sonic: A bit overzealous, aren't we? (But it seems like she's had a rough past.) Hey, don't bite off more than you can chew. And be yourself. Don't need to do everything on your own. / Cream: Blaze! / Blaze: ... ... ... Perhaps... Perhaps you're right. I can rely on friends, if I let myself... / Sonic: Great! I am Sonic. Sonic the Hedgehog. It's nice to meet you. / Blaze: I-I'm Blaze. It's nice to meet you too."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Dead Line (Sonic). "Eggman Nega: Ha ha ha. It's best to get someone else to do the dirty work. I've been waiting for him to return with the gems. I couldn't care less what happens to our world. / Blaze: ... I'll destroy you! / Sonic: That's pretty harsh."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Dead Line (Sonic). "Blaze: I said I would resolve this on my own. I must protect my world! And I don't need anyone's help! / Sonic: Hey, chill for a second. You're way too tense."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Zone Map (Blaze). "Blaze: No. I appreciate your help, but I've got to do this alone. Because she's my friend... I must rescue Cream by myself. / Sonic: Hmm... Okay, I understand. We'll leave Cream to you, Blaze! / Blaze: Thank you... I'm going now! / Tails: Sonic, are you sure about this? / Sonic: Being able to believe in someone... It's also a part of friendship, right?"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (14 September 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Deep Core. "Eggman Nega: Now, the world shall be my plaything! I shall bring about an age of fear and chaos! And it shall be glorious! / Blaze: I... MUST... STOP HIM!!! / Sonic: Blaze! You're the princess, remember? You need to keep a level head! Who's going to look out for the people of this world if something happens to you? / Blaze: !! / Sonic: Who else is going to be able to give the people of this world peace? / Blaze: Yes... That is my duty as princess. My duty... and my honor! I will not allow my people to come to such suffering! Let's go, Sonic!"
- Sega (5 November 2021). ソニック ＆ ブレイズ キャラ紹介 (Japanese). かべがみカバーストーリー. Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 5 November 2021.
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Opening sequence (Extra). "Sonic: As long as you have the power of friendship, the Sol Emeralds... will never lose their glow! / Blaze: ! The Sol Emeralds...! / Sonic: Ready to do this together? Blaze should be able to use the Sol Emeralds now. / Blaze: It's so warm! I can feel the power energizing me!"
- Media:Blaze profile SG.png
- Sonic Team, Dimps (15 November 2005). Sonic Rush. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Ending sequence (Extra). "Burning Blaze: I understand now... My inherent power over fire... As princess, it is my duty to protect the Sol Emeralds. But because of my duty, I shut people out, and keep to myself... But trying to make it solely my responsibility, I put my world in danger. But then... / Sonic: You need to be true to yourself! / Burning Blaze: Sonic the Hedgehog..."
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Cutscene: Saved by Amy (Sonic Episode).
- Sonic Team, Blindlight (14 November 2006). Sonic the Hedgehog. Xbox 360. Sega. Cutscene: Battleship explosion (Sonic Episode).
- ソニック ＆ シルバー キャラクター紹介 (Japanese). かべがみカバーストーリー (8 October 2021). Archived from the original on 8 October 2021.
- Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (24 November 2006). Sonic Rivals. Sega. Area/Level: Colosseum Highway Zone (Sonic's version). "Sonic: Hey, get back here, Eggman! / Silver: Get out of my way, I've got some personal business to take care of. / Sonic: Hey! You sure have an attitude. Who are you, anyway? / Silver: My name is Silver... I can't tell you why, but I need to get to him before you. / Sonic: Okay, Silver. Bring it on... I like challenges!"
- Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (24 November 2006). Sonic Rivals. Sega. Area/Level: Colosseum Highway Zone (Sonic's version). "Silver: Hey! Move aside. I already told you I need to talk to him first. / Sonic: Yo Silver... you're starting to get on my nerves! / Silver: Enough of this chit chat... prepare yourself!"
- Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (24 November 2006). Sonic Rivals. Sega. Area/Level: Crystal Mountain Zone (Sonic's version). "Sonic: Hey, Silver! We meet again! / Silver: Sonic! Dang! How did he manage to get back here so quickly? / Sonic: Heh! While you've been wasting your time, I've been figuring his next move... / Silver: What!? / Sonic: If you can keep up, I might tell you what I know! Let's go!"
- Backbone Entertainment, Sega Studio USA (13 November 2007). Sonic Rivals 2. PlayStation Portable. Sega. Area/Level: Sunset Forest Zone (Sonic's version). "Silver: Move aside, Sonic! / Sonic: Hey, Silver! Long time, no see. Guess you're looking for Eggman too, huh? / Silver: I said move aside! / Sonic: Ha... You never change, do you? Guess I'll have to find Eggman before you do!"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Sweet Mountain. "Silver: They think THAT is what the future is like? Please. / Sonic: Silver? / Silver: Hey, Sonic. You planning on riding this thing? I'd give it a pass. The future's not all stone and buildings like that. / Tails: What's the future you came from like, Silver? / Silver: A lot brighter than this. The sky is blue, and everybody's got a smile. / Sonic: That sounds just like the world now. / Silver: Ha ha, exactly. If you're looking for a fun ride, I found one. Care to give it a go?"
- Sonic Team, Dimps (12 November 2010). Sonic Colors. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Sweet Mountain. "Silver: You seemed busy when I found you. Anything I can help with? / Sonic: Yeah, we've got a bit on our plate, but I've got it covered. / Silver: Ha ha, I'll bet you do. Well, keep it up, Sonic. / Sonic: You know it!"
- Sonic Team (4 November 2011). Sonic Generations. PlayStation 3. Sega. Area/Level: White Space. "Silver: This should be fun! Let's go Sonic!".
- Sonic Team, Dimps (14 September 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Machine Labyrinth. "Marine: Sonic, you were tops! Since you're my best pupil, I'll let you 'ave a go at bein' leader when I step down."
- Sonic Team, Dimps (14 September 2007). Sonic Rush Adventure. Nintendo DS. Sega. Area/Level: Ending sequence. "Marine: Sonic... Tails... / [...] / Th... thanks, guys. You're the best mates ever."
- Sega (9 October 2021). ソニック ＆ ウィスプ キャラクター紹介 (Japanese). ソニック ＆ ウィスプ キャラクター紹介. Sonic Channel. Archived from the original on 10 September 2021. Retrieved on 12 September 2021.
- Sonic Team (7 November 2017). Sonic Forces. Nintendo Switch. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Jungle: Vs. Infinite. "Infinite: Well, looks who's back from the dead: The Little Blue savior. But what's that I smell? You reek of fear. Glad to see I left an impression. / Sonic: That's not fear. I ran all the way over here. And you haven't left an impression. I don't know anything about you, not even your name! / Infinite: You may call me, 'Infinite' in the brief moments that remain to you. / Sonic: Oh, great! See, Infinite? Now we're getting to know each other. So, what's your favorite color? Do you like long romantic walks on the beach? What's the source of your power? You can skip the first two questions if you'd like. / Infinite: The source of my power is none of your concern. / Sonic: Sorry, but you've just GOT to share the secret of your power with me, I insist!! / Infinite: Your insistence is futile!"
- Sonic Team (7 November 2017). Sonic Forces. Nintendo Switch. Sega. Area/Level: Mystic Jungle: Vs. Infinite. "Infinite: Still thrashing around, I see... you filthy little sewer rat! / Sonic: Haven't you seen a hedgehog before? C'mon, I'll show you my spines!"
- Sonic Team (November 7, 2017). Sonic Forces. Nintendo Switch. Sega. Area/Level: Vs. Infinite. "Sonic: Hey don't be scared. This is your moment to shine. / ... / Sonic: Keep going. Don't let your fear own you!"
- Sonic Team (November 7, 2017). Sonic Forces. Nintendo Switch. Sega. Level/Area: Ending sequence. "Sonic: Hey, you taking off, too? I was thinking the same thing. Ya gonna keep moving forward, no matter what, yeah? Heh, you and I aren't so different. See ya later, buddy!"
- (June 1996) "Sonic the Fighters" (in Japanese). Gamest No. 173, pg. 40. Retrieved 15 July 2018.