Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
"Sonic is Running" is the sixty-third episode of the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog television series. Despite being produced as the sixty-third episode, it aired as the fifty-seventh episode during the show's original run.
- Dr. Robotnik
- A Polar Bear
- Wes Weasely
- Mama Robotnik
- RoboDog (Only appearance)
- RoboWife (Only appearance)
- Bert Whoo
- Henry Walrus
- Collie Chang
- Other mobians
- A Construction Worker
- A Woman
- A Politician
- A Dentist
Mama Robotnik returns to the hilltop fortress to make her reluctant son run for president of Mobius. After posting numerous posters all over Mobius (all of which are vandalized by Sonic), Robotnik bribes Wes Weasely into being his campaign manager. Despite the heavy advertising campaign, Robotnik's opponent, Henry Walrus, is ahead of Robotnik by a landslide in terms of approval rating. With this, Wes suggests that they give Robotnik a new "family man" image, starting with making a robotic wife and dog. The television advertisement that is aired later that day hypnotizes the townsfolk with "Hypnovision" (subliminal images of a spiral that only Sonic can see), causing them to lash out at anyone who speaks ill of Robotnik. This forces Sonic to run for president himself.
Sonic's "campaign" starts with editing propaganda tapes as to make Robotnik look bad. The next day, Sonic tricks Robotnik into eating such things as an old cigar butt, a used coffee filter, a piece of blown tire, and an old bicycle seat that smells of fish head. Robotnik's terrible reaction causes the hypnosis to wear off. A collapsing bridge at a bridge opening doesn't help his approval rating either. When Sonic tricks Robotnik's robotic wife into believing that Robotnik is cheating on her, Sonic publicly accuses Robotnik of ducking the issue of his family life, and both hold a debate in Robotnik's front yard, which Scratch and Grounder attempting to eliminate Sonic during that time. Robotnik eventually makes himself look bad in front of Mobius, making Sonic the president of Mobius, a position from which Sonic resigns, leaving Henry Walrus to be president once more. Seeing that Sonic won by a landslide, Robotnik complains that he received one vote (his own) and asked if Scratch, Grounder or his mom voted. Scratch and Grounder however admitted that they forgot to vote while Mama Robotnik says that she voted for Sonic as the reasons being is that her son can't do anything right. In revenge, Robotnik lets the staff of the Mobius Home for Really Bizarre People capture his mom and take her back to the home.
Angered, Robotnik decides to destroy Sonic in his drill tank. This backfires as Sonic spins around the ballots, making them pile on Robotnik as a landslide against him. Robotnik then says "I hate that hedgehog!" as the episode ends.
Tails has a cavity. Sonic tells kids to brush and floss and see the dentist regularly.
Title in other languages
- This episode marks the second time Robotnik made a robot wife for himself. The first time being Omletta in "Sonic the Matchmaker".
- The "Hypnovision" is a form of subliminal advertising.
- Despite saying that she'll escape again, this is Mama Robotnik's last appearance on the show.
- The plot synopsis is similar to that of "Princess Toadstool for President" from The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3, another show produced by DIC Entertainment. In both cases, the villains (Dr. Robotnik and Koopa respectively) decide to run for President and use unfair advantages to gain support: Robotnik with Hypnovision, and Koopa with a Nice Guy Potion. However, both Sonic and Mario catch up with the scheme and their actions eventually cause the villains to ruin their final speeches. In both cases in the end, the villains are beaten by landslides and received only one vote (their own), and it is then revealed that their own family voted for the other side instead of them.