Sonic at the Olympic Games, also known as Sonic at the Olympics, is a sports game released for mobile on 16 June 2008 as part of the Sega Mobile service. A shorter browser port of the game developed by Mediatonic was later released along with the launch of the PlaySEGA web service on 14 October 2008, and also made available on the Samsung and Sega Mobile websites.
Sonic at the Olympic Games was first announced by Sega on 8 April 2008, as part of the latest Sega Mobile game line-up. Later in the month, a playable demo of the game was made available at CTIA Wireless 2008. A browser port of Sonic at the Olympic Games developed by Mediatonic was revealed and released along with the PlaySEGA web service on 14 October 2008, and later released on the Samsung and Sega Mobile websites. It was designed with less events to interest users the mobile version.
In this game, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy Rose compete for Olympic medals. There are five events: 1500m Hurdles, 400m Hurdles, Triple Jump, Discus, and Javelin. While the mobile version of the game contains all five events, the PlaySEGA version only has Discus and Javelin available to play. The game has one-button controls for the events and features varying difficulty levels (Qualifying Round, Heats, Semi Finals, and the Finals). There is a high-scores board that the player can upload their scores to and compare nationally. Points are gathered by finishing an event first and gaining Rings.
- 400m Hurdles (mobile only)
- 1500m Hurdles (mobile only)
- Triple Jump (mobile only)
- The most likely reason for the Mario franchise characters not appearing in this game is because of Nintendo not making apps for iPhone and other iOS systems at the time.
- There was a sequel for iOS devices titled Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, which also did not feature the Mario characters. The game was withdrawn from the App Store shortly after release.
- Christopher Price (11 April 2008). CTIA Wireless 2008 Concluding Gallery. PhoneNews.com. Retrieved on 7 December 2020.
- Clumsyorchid (14 October 2008). SEGA America Blog - PlaySEGA is Live - Read All About It!. Sega. Archived from the original on 18 October 2008. Retrieved on 7 December 2020.
- Mediatonic - Sonic at the Olympics. Mediatonic. Archived from the original on 5 September 2009.
- Sonic at the Olympics. Sega Mobile. Archived from the original on 20 November 2009.
- SEGA Announces 2008 Mobile Games Line-Up - IGN. IGN (8 April 2008).
- SEGA Announces 2008 Mobile Games Line-Up - Business Wire. Business Wire (8 April 2008).
- It’s Game Time - 5G Technology World. 5G Technology World (9 April 2008).