Sonic Super Special Magazines was a quarterly series published by Archie Comics, featuring various reprints of the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series, along with bonus features. The magazine was launched in November 2011, partly to coincide with the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise's 20th anniversary.
The magazine contains various comic stories, most of which are reprints from old issues of ongoing titles. The purpose of why certain stories appear vary from promoting an arc currently running in one of the comics or a new graphic novel release, or showcasing a theme, when other times there is no reason. While not common, there have been new comic stories printed in the book on several occasions, such as the video game tie-ins to Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II and Sonic Dash.
Regular features in each issue include a "News Flash" page, which usually talks about major events in the recent issues. Other things that were likely to appear on the page were short announcements on upcoming story lines, and even snippets on upcoming Sonic games. From issue three and onward, a two page section written by the Sonic Off-Panel artist, Jon Gray, was also included. The most prominent part of this section was the Graphic Novel Showcase, which informed readers of upcoming titles in the Sonic graphic novel library, along with their comic shop release date. Other elements here usually included write-ups on current happenings and upcoming events about the comic, among other things.
A semi-regular feature is the review section, which features a review of the most recently released Sonic game. At the back of every issue is an interview with one of the comic creatives, such as head-writer Ian Flynn and several of the current artists.
The magazine also includes different data files, most of which were relevant to the featured stories. It was also, initially, the first place to see installments of the Mobius Timeline feature that was later printed in its entirety in Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia. There have also been special issues of the magazine, featuring such things as a selection of pullout posters and sheets of stickers respectively.
List of issues
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #1
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #2
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #3
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #4
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #5
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #6
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #7
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #8
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #9
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #10
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #11
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #12
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #13
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #14
- Sonic Super Special Magazine #15
- Most of the artwork that was originally exclusive to the magazine, including the Mobius Timeline feature, was eventually published in the Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia, while the first story of Sonic Super Special Magazine #3 was reprinted in Sonic Super Digest #2, and the first story of Sonic Super Special Magazine #10 was reprinted in Sonic Select Vol. 9. Meaning that now, the only exclusive art that the magazine contains are the covers and the artwork of other SEGA franchises in Sonic Super Special Magazine #12.