In this game, the standard, board game format of reversi is played as Sonic against other characters. A practice match against a Chao is also available. The player plays for (and can lose) Rings, as well as national rankings via a high-score server.
The in the main game, Official Match (公式戦 Kōshikisen?), can be played up to three times a day as it requires Rings to access. Three Rings are provided each day, with them collecting until the player has fifteen. The opponent is decided via a roulette, with each character featuring a different prize pool (ex. Knuckles = $6000, Shadow = $10000). Also, each opponent is set at a different difficulty.
Sonic Reversi features multiple different gameplay modes:
- Practice Match (練習試合 Renshū shiai?): Can be played an unlimited amount of times in a day, with the opponent being chosen by the player rather than random.
- Competition (対戦 Taisen?): This is the multiplayer aspect of Sonic Reversi, being played by passing the mobile phone between the two players.
- Ranking (ランキング Rankingu?): Connects to the internet and allows players to upload their high scores to a leaderboard. Upon opening this menu, the total prize earnings is displayed along with the player's current placing.
- What's New: News (Japanese). Sonic Team. Sega. Archived from the original on 6 December 2003.
- SONIC CAFE (Japanese). Sonic Cafe. Sega. Archived from the original on 11 October 2004.
- ソニックリバーシ (Japanese). Sonic Cafe. Sega. Archived from the original on 27 August 2005.
- 動画投稿をする人【仮】 (17 December 2020). 【ガラケー】 ソニックリバーシ プレイ動画 【iアプリ】. YouTube.
- (Japanese) (archived)