Sonic Origins (ソニックオリジンズ Sonikku Orijinzu?) is an upcoming video game compilation consisting of side-scrolling games from the early Sonic the Hedgehog series, which is being developed by both Sega and Headcannon, and published by Sega. It will be released internationally on 23 June 2022 as a part of the Sonic franchise's 30th anniversary, with versions coming to all of the latest platforms. The game is to be launched as a digital standard edition that includes the main game, and a digital Deluxe edition with extra content and functionalities.
List of games
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2013)
- Sonic the Hedgehog CD (2011)
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2013)
- Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
Anniversary Mode allows players to experience the gameplay of the titles in Sonic Origins in a new format for beginners by providing a full 16:9 aspect ratio and offering players an infinite number of lives to keep the fun going without having to worry about Continues, Time Overs, or Game Overs. The player can also use Coins to retry the Special Stages as many times as they need until they have collected all the Chaos Emeralds or Time Stones.
Classic Mode allows players to experience the gameplay of the titles in Sonic Origins in their retro form with classic challenges. This mode features their original screen dimensions with a 4:3 aspect ratio, and will include the classic finite life system, time limits, and Game Over gameplay. The sides of the screen in this mode will be black, but can be decorated with letterbox borders that are available through DLCs.
Story Mode is a new feature in Sonic Origins where the player takes control of Sonic and runs sequentially through all the classic Sonic titles in chronological order. This playthrough will feature new animated cinematic cutscenes.
Mirror Mode is a new feature in the games that flips the entire Zones from left to right, effectively allowing the player to complete the levels from the opposite direction. It can be unlocked after clearing either Classic Mode, Anniversary Mode, or Story Mode. Alternatively, it can be unlocked from the start via the Start Dash DLC.
My Data & Ranking
My Data & Ranking is an online leaderboard. Here, the player can record their best time for each Act and check out the Ranking to see players' times around the world, where they can compare it to player results from around the world.
Mission Mode is an extra feature in which the player has to complete Missions from Acts of all four games. In them, the player has to complete certain objectives. It makes use of the rank system to grade the player's performance, with "S" being the highest rank, followed by "A", "B", and "C". This feature lets players put their skills to the test and earn Coins by competing said missions, with the rank determining the amount of Coins earned.
The Museum is a feature where the player can unlock a variety of collectible content and add it to their collection, such as music, profiles and artwork. As the player progresses through the game, they will automatically unlock items in the "Normal Collection." They can also use Coins acquired from Boss Rush and Mission Mode to unlock items in the "Premium Collection." Some content is from the original games' development stages and has never seen released to the public.
- Remastered visuals that include all-new visual presentations, plus enhancements for the current generation.
- New opening and ending animations have been added to the games.
- The original opening and ending cutscenes from Sonic the Hedgehog CD have been remastered.
- The Drop Dash is featured as additional move for Sonic in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles.
Start Dash Pack
Premium Fun Pack
- Eleven additional hard missions
- Ten Letterbox backgrounds
- Character animation in the main menu
- An "Island Camera" control function over the main menu's islands
- Character animations on the music islands
- Seventy-three additional music tracks from Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball, Knuckles' Chaotix and Sonic 3D Blast
Premium & Classic Sound Pack
According to Takashi Iizuka, similar to Sonic Colors: Ultimate, Sonic Origins was created for new fans of the Sonic the Hedgehog series following the success of recent games and the Sonic the Hedgehog film who wanted to know about the "origins" of Sonic. In addition, the four Sonic titles were made playable on current hardware without running on an emulator, given the game is a port to current consoles. As such, this would allow fans to play them on a 16:9 aspect ratio.
While emulator-based porting is easier to do, since the games chosen for Sonic Origins have been played for several years, Iizuka wanted to take this opportunity to revive them again on the current hardware. With that in mind, the team dared to try porting. With the games not running on emulation, the team were able to modify the games themselves. There are also plans to add elements that would make it easier for beginners to play the games, similar to Sonic Colors: Ultimate.
In July 2021, Sonic Origins was stated to still be in the early stages of development.
Sonic Origins incorporates the previously created remasters of Sonic the Hedgehog CD from 2011 and Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 from 2013, which were originally released on mobile devices. In addition, the compilation includes a remastered version of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, created by Headcannon and its related developers. All games in the compilation utilize the Retro Engine with Christian Whitehead having updated the engine to allow the remastered games to run in a compilation. Headcannon in particular only produced the remaster of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles on the Retro Engine, as well as the new Blue Sphere Mode for Sonic Origins. Sonic Origins itself, its components, and its integration and presentation of its games on the other hand were separately created and curated by Sega's internal team. Meanwhile, the new animations for the game's Story Mode were created by Powerhouse Animation Studios and Sega in collaboration with Tyson Hesse, and scripted by Ian Flynn. The original opening and ending cutscenes from Sonic the Hedgehog CD in particular were remastered by members of Discotek Media.
The game was announced during the Sonic Central video presentation on 27 May 2021 that showcased news regarding the Sonic the Hedgehog 30th Anniversary celebration. Among these announcements were also the teaser trailer for this game. The teaser trailer featured footage from the Retro Engine versions of the available games, being Sonic the Hedgehog (2013), Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2013) and Sonic the Hedgehog CD (2011), as well as emulated footage from the original 16-bit version of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles.
In the April 2022 issue of License Global magazine, an advertisement for the Sonic the Hedgehog series was featured on page eleven which used the key art of Sonic Origins, predating a formal reveal of the art from Sega. The game later received a full reveal on 20 April 2022. This would include the release of the game's official trailer and the reveal of the game's scheduled release date for 23 June 2022.
ON 20 April 2022, a digital deluxe edition was announced that includes the following in-game content:
- Main game
- Hard missions
- Character animation in the main menu
- Camera controls over the main menu islands
- Character animations during music islands
- Additional music tracks from Mega Drive titles
- Sonic Origins marks the first time since 2011 that Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles has been re-released.
- It would also mark the game's first appearance on a Nintendo platform since Sonic Classic Collection (2010).
- The release date for Sonic Origins, 23 June, is the same date as the release date for the original Sonic the Hedgehog in North America. It is also considered the canonical date of birth for Sonic.
- Sonic Origins marks the first time the 2013 ports of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 will be fully available for PC and consoles.
- Both Sonic and Robotnik's poses in their key artwork are based on their poses from the key artwork of Sonic the Hedgehog The Screen Saver.
- "Sonic Origins" was also the tentative title for Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric. This similarity is most likely a coincidence.
- Headcanon on Twitter (17 May 2022). Archived from the original on 18 May 2022. Retrieved on 18 May 2022. "To address a misunderstanding regarding Headcannon's involvement in #SonicOrigins- We DID NOT work on Origins itself, nor did we do any additional work on Sonic 1, 2, or CD. We were contracted to build a Retro Engine version of S3&K as a separate project from Sega's Sonic Origins / ... / Headcannon's work used in #SonicOrigins, including S3&K, was implemented into Origins by Sega's internal team, who also made any Origins-specific changes/additions themselves. We're proud to have our work featured as PART of Sonic Origins, but it's purely a Sega-developed product"
- Stealth (@HCStealth) on Twitter. Twitter (20 April 2022). Archived from the original on 20 April 2020. Retrieved on 20 April 2022. "Stealth: Hey! Remember how I repeatedly said "If Sega wants me to remake Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) I'll do it"? Well, needing this game to complete their planned #SonicOrigins collection of remakes, Sega asked me to take on this huge task, and I recruited some of my Headcannon buddies to help!"
- Christian Whitehead (@CFWhitehead) on Twitter. Twitter (20 April 2022). Archived from the original on 21 April 2022. Retrieved on 21 April 2022. "Christian Whitehead: I updated the engine to allow all versions to run in a collection, but all the game content in Origins has been worked on by SEGA and @Head_cannon"
- Flynn, Ian (20 April 2022). Sonic Origins Revealed!. BumbleKing. Archived from the original on 20 April 2022. "Ian Flynn: #KnowingSmile finally revealed! I had the extreme pleasure of writing the scripts for the animated scenes for the new Story Mode in Sonic Origins!"
- Sonic the Hedgehog (20 April 2022). Sonic Origins - Official Trailer. YouTube. Retrieved on 20 April 2022.
- ソニックオリジンズ. Sega. Retrieved on 24 April 2022.
- Sonic Origins. Sega. Retrieved on 24 April 2022.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (27 May 2021). Sonic Central - 5/27/21. YouTube. Retrieved on 27 May 2021.
- Romano, Sal (20 April 2022). Sonic Origins launches June 23 for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC. Gematsu. Archived from the original on 20 April 2022. Retrieved on 20 April 2022.
- GAME MODE | SONIC ORIGINS Official Site. Game Modes. Sega. Archived from the original on 21 April 2022. Retrieved on 21 April 2022.
- 『ソニックオリジンズ』6月23日発売決定。『ソニック』初期4作品のリマスターにストーリーモードなどの新要素を追加 (Japanese). Famitsu (20 April 2022). Archived from the original on 20 April 2022. Retrieved on 20 April 2022.
- GX (20 April 2022). SONIC ORIGINS TRAILER/PRICE/ANIMATION/EXTRAS OFFICIALLY REVEALED. Sonic Stadium. Archived from the original on 20 April 2022. Retrieved on 20 April 2022.
- Brady Hartel (@BradyHartel) on Twitter. Twitter (20 April 2022). Retrieved on 20 April 2022. "Brady Hartel: Super happy to finally announce that I got to produce the remaster of the Sonic CD cutscenes for Sonic Origins with a small team! The AI Model training was done by @tanks404 and @Quazza97, with rotoscoping and redraw help by @Kitsunelaine."
- 稲元徹也 (22 July 2021). ソニック30周年記念，飯塚 隆プロデューサーにインタビュー。“Sonic Everywhere”――常にソニックが存在する未来を目指して (Japanese). 4Gamer. Archived from the original on 22 July 2021. Retrieved on 23 July 2021.
- Headcannon (@Head_cannon) on Twitter. Twitter (20 April 2022). Archived from the original on 20 April 2022. Retrieved on 20 April 2022. "Headcannon: Headcannon is proud to announce that we have been working with @Sega to re-create Sonic 3 & Knuckles for their upcoming #SonicOrigins collection! This completes the official "Remastering" of the mainline classics and marks our fourth time out with #SonictheHedgehog!"
- Headcannon (@Head_cannon) on Twitter. Twitter (20 April 2022). Archived from the original on 20 April 2022. Retrieved on 20 April 2022. "Headcannon: Of the remade #SonictheHedgehog games, Headcannon previously assisted in preproduction of SCD, co-developed S1 and S2, and now, developed a similarly enhanced S3&K! #SonicOrigins and its integration and presentation of these games is separately created and curated by @Sega"
- Katie - Minikitty (@KatieChrz) on Twitter. Twitter (20 April 2022). Retrieved on 20 April 2022. "Katie Chrzanowski: A few Sonic Origins FAQs: ▶️ It will be on Steam! Store page coming this morning. ▶️ The animations are in all versions of the game! They were made by @sega and @powerhouseanim. ▶️ Digital only. No plans for physical at the moment."
- Tyson Hesse (@tyson_hesse) on Twitter. Twitter (20 April 2022). Archived from the original on 20 April 2022. Retrieved on 20 April 2022. "Tyson Hesse: Working with the Powerhouse team on the new cinematics was an absolute pleasure. They did an amazing job, and you’ve only just seen a small part of the cool new stuff we did for Origins."
- Skrebels, Joe (27 May 2021). Sonic Central Stream: Everything Announced, Including a Brand New Sonic Game. IGN. Archived from the original on 27 May 2021. Retrieved on 27 May 2021.
- License Global April 2022. License Global Magazine (11 April 2022). Retrieved on 19 April 2022.
- Hyper Potions on Twitter. Twitter (20 April 2022). Archived from the original on 21 April 2022. Retrieved on 21 April 2022. "Hyper Potions: We did the music for the Sonic Origins trailer 😌❤️"