The foundation for Sonic Lost World was laid shortly after Sonic Colors was finished, with the project beginning after finishing Sonic Generations. Development started on PC, with early experiments involving "twisted tube-type level(s)" inspired by Jack and the Beanstalk. However, development ultimately shifted from the PC to the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS because of the success of previous Sonic titles on Nintendo platforms.
The PC version of Sonic Lost World was announced on 6 October 2015 by Sega Europe and America to be released in the Steam store on 2 November 2015, with the Nightmare DLC included. The game is a part of a strategy from the company where they will publish "high quality" PC ports of past Sega games in the following years. Users who pre-ordered the game would also a receive a free copy of the PC version of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.
Noticeable changes from the original Wii U version of Sonic Lost World include:
- Full controller support.
- Steam Achievements, cloud saves and a leaderboard functionality.
- Interchangeable keyboard prompts if the player uses mouse and keyboard.
- High-definition display with widescreen support.
- Locked 60 FPS, though the result varies depending on the hardware.
- The PC port lacks the multiplayer mode, RC Vehicles and Circus mini-game. The player receives a slightly larger number of animals when clearing stages to compensate for the lack of mini-game.
- The Yoshi's Island Zone and The Legend of Zelda Zone DLC are not available on Steam. However, NiGHTMARE Zone is included in the base PC version, rather than as a special edition bonus.
- After completing all the missions, Omochao will give a simple congratulations message to the player in the PC version instead of an award.
- The loading icon has being changed from the Miles Electric to a white monitor.
All of the achievements listed here are tied to Omochao's missions and are unlocked when their respective mission is cleared.
|Ring Saver!||Collect 500 Rings. You can't ever have enough.|
|Secret Rings||Collect 750 Rings. Where are you keeping them all?!|
|Ring Collecting||Collect 1000 Rings. A grand achievement!|
|Deep Pockets||Collect 1250 Rings. You can't ever have enough.|
|Rings to Spare?||Collect 1500 Rings. You can't ever have enough.|
|Ring Gather||Collect 1750 Rings. Wow, that's impressive!|
|Ring Hoarder||Collect 2000 Rings. You can't ever have enough.|
|Ringmaster||Collect 2250 Rings. You can't ever have enough.|
|Ringleader||Collect 2500 Rings. You can't ever have enough.|
|Ring Collector||Collect 3000 Rings. An epic collection!|
|Shiny Rings||Collect 3500 Rings. You can't ever have enough.|
|An Ocean Of Rings||Collect 4000 Rings. You can't ever have enough.|
|4500 Rings||Collect 4500 Rings. You can't ever have enough.|
|The 50 Zone||Clear a zone with at least 50 Rings.|
|The 75 Zone||Clear a zone with at least 75 Rings.|
|The 100 Zone||Clear a zone with at least 100 Rings.|
|The 150 Zone||Clear a zone with at least 150 Rings.|
|The 200 Zone||Clear a zone with at least 200 Rings.|
|The 250 Zone||Clear a zone with at least 250 Rings.|
|The 300 Zone||Clear a zone with at least 300 Rings.|
|The 350 Zone||Clear a zone with at least 350 Rings.|
|Up, Up And Away!||Jump 30 times. Up, up, and away!|
|Up, Over and Gone!||Jump 100 times. Just keep going!|
|Blast Off||Jump 250 times. You're blasting off again!|
|Climbing Practice||Grab a ledge and climb up 5 times. It's climbing practice!|
|Acrobat Extraordinaire||Move along the ceiling for at least 5 seconds. Acrobat extraordinaire!|
|Go For A Spin||Spin Dash for at least 2 seconds. Practice makes perfect!|
|Spin Dashing||Spin Dash for at least 5 seconds. Getting faster!|
|Rolling Around At The Speed Of Sound||Spin Dash for at least 10 seconds. Spin Dash master!|
|Wall Jumper||Pull off a Wall Jump. Serious ninja skills!|
|5 Wall Jump||Pull off at least 5 Wall Jumps in a row. You're getting good at this!|
|Sonic Skills||Pull off at least 10 Wall Jumps in a row. Wow, you've got skills!|
|A Wall Jumper||Pull off at least 20 Wall Jumps in a row. That qualifies as mad skills!|
|The Ground Is Lava||Run along the walls for at least 10 meters. Who needs gravity?|
|Wall Runner!||Run along the walls for at least 20 meters. Who needs gravity?|
|It's Wall About Speed||Run along the walls for at least 30 meters. Gotta go fast!|
|Dashing Through||Defeat 10 enemies with the Spin Dash.|
|You're Quite Dashing||Defeat 20 enemies with the Spin Dash.|
|Spin And Win Time||Defeat 30 enemies with the Spin Dash.|
|An Ounce of Bounce||Defeat 10 enemies by Bouncing.|
|Bounced About||Defeat 20 enemies by Bouncing.|
|The Bouncer||Defeat 30 enemies by Bouncing.|
|Lock On!||In a single attack, use 3 or more lock-ons to defeat one or more enemies.|
|Locked and Loaded||In a single attack, use 4 or more lock-ons to defeat one or more enemies.|
|Locksmith||In a single attack, use 6 or more lock-ons to defeat one or more enemies.|
|The Boot||Kick an enemy into another enemy. Give' em the boot!|
|Kicker||Defeat 100 enemies with Kicks. Now you're getting the hang of it!|
|Homing In||Multi Lock-on to a single enemy and defeat it with a powerful Homing Attack.|
|50 Enemies||Defeat 50 enemies. This is what you've trained for!|
|75 Enemies||Defeat 75 enemies. This is what you've trained for!|
|100 Enemies||Defeat 100 enemies. You're really getting the hang of this!|
|200 Enemies||Defeat 200 enemies. They didn't know what hit 'em!|
|250 Enemies||Defeat 250 enemies. This is what you've trained for!|
|300 Enemies||Defeat 300 enemies. This is what you've trained for!|
|3-Ups||Can you find 3 1-Ups? You can never have too many!|
|6-Ups||Can you find 6 1-Ups? Keep going!|
|9-Ups||Can you find 9 1-Ups? Keep coming back for more!|
|Laser Guided||Defeat 20 enemies with the Cyan Laser.|
|10 Cyan Rings||Collect 10 Rings with the Cyan Laser.|
|50 Cyan Rings||Collect 50 Rings with the Cyan Laser.|
|A Will To Drill||Wreak havoc for at least 30 seconds with the Yellow Drill.|
|Drill Jumper||Perform 5 Drill Jumps with the Yellow Drill.|
|Drill Jumper Extraordinaire||Perform 10 Drill Jumps with the Yellow Drill.|
|Drill Jumper Master||Perform 20 Drill Jumps with the Yellow Drill.|
|Drilled||Defeat 10 enemies with the Yellow Drill.|
|50 Yellow Rings||Collect 50 Rings while in Yellow Drill form.|
|10 Orange Rings||Collect 10 Rings with the Orange Rocket.|
|50 Orange Rings||Collect 50 Rings with the Orange Rocket.|
|Find The Bonus Room!||Use the Indigo Asteroid to find a bonus room.|
|Indigo 20||Wreak havoc for at least 20 seconds in Indigo Asteroid form.|
|Rip Up The Place||Destroy 10 pieces of terrain with the Indigo Asteroid.|
|Tear Up The Place||Destroy 20 pieces of terrain with the Indigo Asteroid.|
|Destroy The Place||Destroy 40 pieces of terrain with the Indigo Asteroid.|
|Nothing Can Escape||Defeat 20 enemies with the Indigo Asteroid.|
|100 Indigo Rings||Collect 100 Rings with the Indigo Asteroid.|
|Crimson Flight||Fly for at least 30 seconds as the Crimson Eagle.|
|50 Crimson Rings||Collect 50 Rings with the Crimson Eagle.|
|100 Magenta Rings||Collect 100 Rings with the Magenta Rhythm.|
|200 Magenta Rings||Collect 200 Rings with the Magenta Rhythm.|
|Tiny Black Bomb||Defeat an enemy with a Black Bomb explosion.|
|Black Bomb||Defeat at least 3 enemies at once with a Black Bomb explosion.|
|Big Black Bomb||Defeat at least 5 enemies at once with a Black Bomb explosion.|
|50 Black Rings||Collect 50 Rings with the Black Bomb.|
|Peacemaker||See if you can clear a zone without defeating any enemies.|
|Small Bonus||Earn at least 3 bonuses when you reach the goal.|
|Medium Bonus||Earn at least 5 bonuses when you reach the goal.|
|Large Bonus||Earn at least 8 bonuses when you reach the goal.|
|Zone Life||Clear a zone without losing a Life.|
|3 Zone Life||Clear 3 zones without losing a Life.|
|5 Zone Life||Clear 5 zones without losing a Life.|
|Clean Zone||Clear a zone without taking any damage.|
|3 Clean Zones||Clear 3 zones without taking any damage.|
|5 Clean Zones||Clear 5 zones without taking any damage.|
|Clean Zazz||Defeat Zazz without taking damage in the world's final zone.|
|Clean Zomom||Defeat Zomom without taking damage in the world's final zone.|
|Clean Zik||Defeat Master Zik without taking damage in the world's final zone.|
|Clean Zeena||Defeat Zeena without taking damage in the world's final zone.|
|He's A Zor Loser||Defeat Zor without taking damage in the world's final zone.|
|Zavok Havoc||Defeat Zavok without taking damage in the world's final zone.|
|Scrambled||Defeat Dr. Eggman without taking damage.|
|Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200||2GB RAM||NVIDIA GeForce 8800 (512MB) / ATI Radeon HD 2900 (512MB)||Version 9.0c||8 GB available space||DirectX 9.0c compatible Sound Card|
|Intel Core i5 @ 2.66 GHz / AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.0 GHz||3 GB RAM||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (1GB) / ATI Radeon HD 5850 (1GB)||Version 9.0c||8 GB available space||DirectX 9.0c compatible Sound Card|
- On 5 November 2015, Sega posted a patch on the Steam's General discussion to help those with a minimum of capabilities to play the game. The patch consists of some command lines to be put inside the game's launch settings. The command lines are as follows:
- The line "--F30", will change the expected throttle to 30FPS.
- The line "--F", will completely disable framerate locking and allow the machine to run as best as it can.
- A public Test Branch Patch was launched on 11 November 2015 which included:
- VPN no longer required to run the game in certain territories.
- New pop-up debug message appearing when game crashes on launch.
- Mission button remapped to D-PAD UP.
- On 30 November 2015, a Japanese localization option was added to the game.
- On 6 January 2016, Sega released another patch that included:
- Steam Controller template has been added to the game.
- New players will start with 9 lives instead of 4.
- Existing save games will be updated automatically when current lives are exhausted.
The port has got mixed reviews from Metacritic gaining 57 out of 100 based on five reviews. Gamingenthusiast gave it 6.5/10, praising the unique 2D levels design and characters' dialogues, though criticizing the controls and the disjointed 3D. IGN of Spain lends it his 7 out of 10, saying that the port is very clean, well adapted and fan, but blasted the lack of an online mode and the slow down on some computers with lower capabilities. Other reviewers are very negative with the bad controls the game offers, like PCGamer, who gave it 32/100. games(TM), noticed the brilliance in design of levels and overall, but criticized the "a weak boss encounter or an awkward stop-start stage".
- The "screen space ambient occlusion" option was originally planned to be added in the video preferences to allow the choice of enabling and disabling it, but that option scrapped from the settings.
- It is the only option in the game that does not have text stroke effects and has a bubble that is in a hexagonal shape.
- This is the first Sonic game to have more than 100 Achievements in total. Most other Sonic games had an average of 47 achievements to 50 achievements in total.
- This is also the first Sonic game where the player cannot achieve any random achievement in an instant, but are instead unlocked in order. Players must achieve the first task they are given before the next achievement can occur.
- The disabled multiplayer mode is still in the game data and fully functional, and can be reenabled by hex-editing the game executable.
- Every achievement icon with Sonic and the Wisps uses artwork from previous games.
- Mason, Mike (2013-06-13). Sonic Team's Iizuka Recognises Sonic Lost World, Mario Galaxy Comparisons. Nintendo Life. Retrieved on 2013-12-13.
- Whitehead, Thomas (2013-10-16). Interview: SEGA On Bringing Sonic Lost World to Wii U and 3DS. Nintendo Life. Retrieved on 2013-12-13.
- Sal Romano (6 October 2015). Sonic Lost World coming to PC on November 2. Gematsu.com. Retrieved on 6 November 2015.
- THE BLUE BLUR SPINS ON TO PC WITH SONIC LOST WORLD™!. Gamasuta.com (6 October 2015). Retrieved on 6 November 2015.
- Sonic Lost World Patch - Public test branch. SEGA (5 November 2015). Retrieved on 6 November 2015.
- Bargas, Gregory (12 November 2015). Sonic Lost World PC Review: Get Lost!. PC Enthusiast. Retrieved on 26 November 2015.
- Savage, Phil (20 November 2015). Sonic Lost World. PC Gamer. Retrieved on 26 November 2015.
- Sonic Lost World review. GamesTM (December 2015). Retrieved on 31 January 2016.