Sonic Jam is a 2D side-scrolling platforming video game which plays similar to past Sonic games. It features three playable characters: Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. Tails can fly using his twin tails, though Sonic and Knuckles do not feature any special ability. The player can move left and right and jump.
Players can collect rings, which work as their main method of protection. If a playable character is hit while carrying at least one ring, they will not die and instead they will lose all their rings. Otherwise, getting hit without rings will cost the player a life, or a Game Over if they do not have any lives left.
|Button formation||Character movement|
|left/right + down||Spin Attack|
|down + A||Spin Dash|
|Tapping A||Propeller Flying|
Gimmicks and obstacles
- Catakiller, Jr.
- Monkey Dude
- Water Eggman (Sonic 2)
- Hammer Eggman (Sonic 2)
- Egg Mobile-D (Sonic 2)
- Doctor Robotnik's Flame Craft (Sonic 3)
- Hei Hou (Sonic & Knuckles)
- Jet Mobile (Sonic & Knuckles)
- Gapsule (Sonic & Knuckles)
Sonic Jam features three games with one Zone each, which are composed on six Acts. The Zones are:
Sonic Jam features a set of Special Stages, which resemble the Special Stages from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles. In a Special Stage, the playable character will find themself running endlessly on a large planetoid. The player's objective is to collect all black balls and avoid the white ones.
Unlike its Saturn counterpart, Sonic Jam got poor reception by critics and fans alike, with many citing it as one of the worst Sonic games ever made.
- The box artwork is the same one that was used for Sonic R.
- Sonic Jam is the first Sonic game that was not released in a Sega console.
- So far, Sonic Jam is the only Sonic game to be presented in monochrome, without color, because the Game.com does not have a color screen.
- Most of the sprites used for this game are the ones from Sonic the Hedgehog 3, though some of them were originally unused in that game, such as Sonic falling asleep and whistling.