"Sonic Christmas Blast" is a Christmas television special for the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon series produced by DiC Entertainment, who also produced the Saturday morning cartoon series that had run alongside it. It aired on the USA Network in 1996, nearly three years after the original series had ended. When Toon Disney aired the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog series, Sonic Christmas Blast was regularly shown in their annual Christmas marathons.
- Dr. Robotnik
- Miles "Tails" Prower
- Sally (only appearance)
- Santa Claus (only appearance)
- Sonic the Hedgehog
Christmas Eve has come to Robotropolis, and everyone in town is gathered around the Jumbotron in the middle of the square so they can see Santa Claus (which is clearly a robot) make a very important announcement - he's retiring, and for some reason, he has picked Dr. Robotnik, alias Robotnik Claus, as his replacement! Of course, being the greedy porker he is, Robotnik demands that the children give him presents for Christmas instead of the other way around.
Meanwhile, Sonic recruits Tails to help him find some Christmas presents for Princess Sally. This confuses Tails, because Sonic just agreed with Sally that they wouldn't get each other anything this year. It turns out that every year they make this agreement, Sally ends up getting Sonic a bunch of cool stuff (such as a ring on his finger she gave him last year that becomes important later on), while Sonic usually takes the agreement seriously and doesn't get her anything. This year, however, Sonic's decided to actually get Sally a bunch of presents.
The duo arrives at Robotropolis only to find that all the stores in the local mall are empty. A nearby kid shows and alerts Sonic (and Tails) about Santa's retirement and Robotnik taking over the chore. Just then, Scratch and Grounder show up with a Robot Santa who was actually giving the retirement announcement earlier and try to kill them, but of course, they fail miserably. Sonic, disguised as a garbageman, then tricks the henchbots into telling him where the real Santa is.
In spite of attacks by some SWATbots, Sonic manages to free Santa, but it doesn't change the fact that Robotnik still has all the presents. Just then, Santa recognizes the squiggle on the ring that Sally gave Sonic last year as being the same as a squiggle on an ancient cave painting that reveals the secret of achieving ultimate speed. Apparently, the one who wears the ring (Sonic) must pass three tests of skills to use its power.
Sonic passes the tests easily, in spite of Scratch and Grounder's attempts to stop him and then he uses his new super speed to steal back the presents Robotnik has taken (as well as the doctor's clothes) and redistribute the presents all over Mobius. After the hedgehog delivers Sally's presents, Santa, impressed with the job, decides to retire after all and turns his job over to Sonic. An elf then gives Sonic Santa’s hat and Tails says that he is Sonic Claus. Sonic then wishes the viewers an extremely merry Christmas every year of their lives.
Title in other languages
|Bulgarian||Соник таралежа на коледа||Sonic the Christmas hedgehog|
|Brazilian Portuguese||O Natal Fantástico de Sonic||Sonic's Fantastic Christmas|
|Dutch||Sonic Christmas Blast||Sonic Christmas Blast|
|French||Le père Noël est une doublure||Santa Claus is an understudy|
|Italian||Sonic salva il Natale||Sonic saves Christmas|
|Norwegian||Sonic Christmas Blast||Sonic Christmas Blast|
|Polish||Sonic: Świąteczna przygoda||Sonic: A Christmas Adventure|
|Portuguese||Sonic: Um Natal Estrondoso||Sonic: A Booming Christmas|
|Russian||Соник спасает Рождество||Sonic Saves Christmas|
|Serbian||Соников Божићни јуриш (Sonikov Božićni juriš)||Sonic's Christmas Rush|
|Spanish (Latin America)||El Especial de Navidad de Sonic||Sonic's Christmas Special|
- This is the series finale of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.
- This is the only episode of the entire series not to feature a Sonic Says segment.
- This Christmas special was never aired in Spain.
- The special is advertised in Sonic the Hedgehog #41 comic book as An X-Tremely Sonic Christmas. This suggests the special is intended to promote the Sega Saturn game Sonic X-Treme (which was later cancelled). As a result, the special was changed to be named after the Sonic game that did come out in time for Christmas, Sonic 3D Blast. Additionally, a later issue of the comic series refers to the special as A Very Sonic Christmas.
- Robotnik's song, "Merry Christmas to Me", is to the tune of "Happy Birthday to You".
- Sally makes her first and only appearance in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog in this special. She has no lines in the special beyond a brief gasp.
- Sonic talks to a bird (possibly a Flicky) in a tree in one scene. This was most likely tacked in to help promote the concept of Sonic 3D Blast.
- Tails is not voiced by Christopher Welch like he is in all the other episodes of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Instead he is voiced by Chris Turner.
- Interestingly enough, several concepts in this special originate from the Sonic the Hedgehog TV series, Including Sally, Robotropolis, and the SWATbots.
- Robotnik has robot helpers that look similar to Heavy from Knuckles' Chaotix and Humpty from Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, rather than just Scratch and Grounder.
- When disguised as a garbage hedgehog, Sonic tells Scratch and Grounder they'll have to pay a fine of ten thousand Robotnibucks. But in previous episodes of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, the currency was referred to as Mobiums. This could possibly because Robotnik seems to run the Robotroplis city.
- Like his video game counterpart, Sonic has five fingers in this special, unlike his appearance in the other Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episodes, but is randomly shown with four.
- This marks Long John Baldry's final voice role as Dr. Robotnik.
- 3 Points of Articulation (13 November 2009). Sonic's Christmas Blast-Part 1. Youtube. Retrieved on 26 January 2015.
- Sonic Christmas Blast at the Christmas Specials Wiki