[Nighttime in Station Square. Citizens mingle down the sidewalks on evening strolls. Above them, a helicopter flies low between the buildings heading for something. A red orb of light appears to chase after it. Shortly thereafter, Sonic the Hedgehog is seen bouncing back and forth off the sides of the buildings before leaping onto the roof of one to get a good look at Station Square's nighttime skyline. His theme begins playing as soon as he appears.]
- Sonic: Ah, yeah! This is happenin'!
[Suddenly hearing sirens, Sonic looks down to see four police cars rushing to an emergency with screeching tires. He jumps down just in time to see them disappear around the corner.]
- Sonic: What's up?
[Sonic Spin Dashes towards the commotion.]
[The police cars have formed a perimeter in front of a large building, with their red and blue emergency lights blazing and sirens still wailing. Two helicopters hover overhead with their searchlights on. Chaos 0 falls into Station Square, landing on the roof over the entrance of the building and just standing there. Many police officers surround it.]
- Police Officer: You are completely surrounded! Surrender yourself!
[The police aim their guns at Chaos 0 and then it jumps closer to them, landing on the ground in front of them]
- Police Officer: Lock on target, men! Ready?... FIRE!
[The police fire at Chaos 0, but the bullets simply drop to the ground after colliding with Chaos, having no effect on the creature. It lets off a low growl.]
- Police Officer: Oh, no! Our weapons are useless! Retreat! All personnel, fall back!
[Most of the officers retreat to safety as the one giving the command fires a few more rounds at Chaos 0 to cover their escape. Sonic then arrives at the scene.]
- Sonic: [Jumps onto police car] Ah yeah! This could be fun! [Jumps towards Chaos 0 while collecting some Rings.]
[After Sonic beats Chaos 0, it forms into a puddle and starts heading for a drain.]
- Sonic: Come on, ya big drip! Where ya goin'?
[Chaos 0 falls into the drain and escapes. Sonic looks down at where Chaos 0 fled as the police cars continue to flash their red and blue lights and the helicopters continue to hover overhead. Dr. Eggman is seen watching Sonic from a distant building.]
- Dr. Eggman: You know nothing, fool! It's Chaos! The God of Destruction. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
[Sonic is relaxing at the Station Square hotel pool and then.]
- Sonic: Huh?
[He suddenly sees Tails flying in his bi-plane. It is going out of control.]
- Sonic: What? Tails? Watch out! You're gonna crash! Ahhh! [Tails crashes into Emerald Coast.] Tails... what am I gonna do with you?
[Sonic shrugs and jumps over the pool as he heads towards the entrance to Emerald Coast.]
[Sonic is walking back to the pool with Tails. Tails' theme begins playing.]
- Tails: Hey Sonic. Long time no see, huh?
- Sonic: I'm just glad you're okay. What happened anyway? You're too good of a pilot to just crash like that.
- Tails: That was a test run using a new prototype propulsion system. It's got a few bugs to iron out.
- Sonic: Why not just use my plane, the Tornado?
- Tails: Thanks, but you gotta check out my newest power supply! Ta dahhh! [takes out a Chaos Emerald]
- Sonic: WHOA! A Chaos Emerald!
- Tails: Yep! I just happened to find one of the 7 Emeralds during one of my test flights. This thing has unlimited powers, ya know... So I figured, why not use it to power my plane. Super charged! You gotta come over my workshop, Sonic! I've got something I've gotta show you! It's in the Mystic Ruins. The fastest way is by train. Let's go!
[Sonic and Tails arrive at the plateau below Tails' workshop on the nearby cliff, but are stopped by a voice.]
- Dr. Eggman: Ha ha ha ha! If it isn't Sonic!
[Eggman descends in the Egg Mobile to confront Sonic and Tails.]
- Sonic: Look! It's a giant talking egg!
- Dr. Eggman: Silence! I am Dr. Robotnik, the greatest scientific genius in the world!
- Sonic: Whatever you say, Eggman!
- Dr. Eggman: Enough! I've got big plans and now I'm gonna put them to work!
- Tails: You're always up to no good. Now what d'ya want?
[Eggman raises the Egg Mobile a little higher into the air as he speaks.]
- Dr. Eggman: I want all the Chaos Emeralds. Better not interfere! Or else!
- Sonic: Or else what, ya big loser?
- Dr. Eggman: Or else I'll take them from you by force... the hard way!
[Dr. Eggman's Egg Mobile falls to the ground, apparently defeated.]
- Sonic: Well, that wasn't so hard!
- Dr. Eggman: AHA!
[Eggman takes the Chaos Emerald from Tails, catching Sonic and Tails by surprise when he does.]
- Sonic: Oh, no!
- Dr. Eggman: Come on Chaos, time to eat!
- Sonic: Chaos? [Chaos appears beside Eggman.] Oh no, isn't that the same monster I saw the other day...
[Eggman gives Chaos the Chaos Emerald and he grows bigger, becoming Chaos 1.]
- Dr. Eggman: Ooooh, yes! It's just as the stone tablets predicted. Ha ha ha ha ha! His strength increases every time I feed him a Chaos Emerald! With all 7 Emeralds in him, he'll be invincible! And work for me! Together, we'll destroy Station Square! And on its ruins, I will build Robotnikland, the ultimate city! Where I will rule it all! Come on Chaos! Let's find another Emerald, shall we? [He transports away, taking Chaos 1 with him.]
- Tails: Sonic! We can't let him get away with this. Can we?
- Sonic: No way Tails!
- Tails: Without more Emeralds, the monster can't transform, so... It's up to us to find those Emeralds before Eggman does, huh?
[Sonic and Tails walk out of Casinopolis and Eggman ambushes the duo.]
- Sonic: Hey!
[Sonic and Tails dodge Eggman's charge in the Egg Mobile, but the Chaos Emerald falls to the ground.]
- Sonic: Oh no! The Chaos Emerald!
- Dr. Eggman: Oh, no you don't!
[He emits a purple gas towards Sonic and Tails.]
- Sonic: Aw Geesh!
[Eggman flies away with the Chaos Emerald and laughs.]
- Dr. Eggman: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
- Sonic: E-gg-ma-n--.
[The screen flashes white. Sonic and Tails are seen unconscious before regaining their senses. It is the following morning after Eggman ambushed them last night.]
- Tails: Oh man, what happened to the Emerald we just had?
- Sonic: Aahh... I guess Eggman got one of 'em, but the other one's safe. That guy must be desperate.
- Tails: That means his two to our one, and that's not good! Come on Sonic, we need to get busy!
[Sonic and Tails encounter Knuckles at Mystic Ruins. Knuckles' theme begins playing.]
- Sonic: What's up, Knuckles? [Knuckles attempts to charge into Sonic with a powerful punch but Sonic sidesteps to avoid the assault.] Somethin' buggin' you?
- Knuckles: No times for games, Sonic! Give me the Emeralds you have! Right now!
- Sonic: What!? Let's just see you take 'em, huh!
[Sonic and Knuckles are running into each other. Knuckles knocks off the two Chaos Emeralds Sonic has.]
- Sonic: Oh no, the Chaos Emeralds...
[Eggman suddenly appears in his Egg Mobile and laughs.]
- Knuckles: Ahhh! Eggman!
[Eggman emits a shining cyan light underneath the Egg Mobile, picking up the Chaos Emeralds and holding them out in front of him.]
- Dr. Eggman: Ha... like taking candy from a baby!
[Knuckles runs closer towards Eggman.]
- Knuckles: That's a Chaos Emerald!
- Dr. Eggman: That's right, fool, you made it all too easy! You practically gave them to me!
- Sonic: Hold it right there, creep! You can't get away with this...! [Turns to Knuckles] Knuckles, don't tell me Eggman tricked you again?
- Knuckles: Me? What about you?
- Sonic: Way to go, Knucklehead!
- Dr. Eggman: Now, I have 4 lovely Emeralds... Chaos... [A puddle appears which forms into Chaos 2.] These are for you, my friend... [Eggman tosses the two Chaos Emeralds towards Chaos 2. Chaos 2 emits a bright light, transforming into Chaos 4.]
- Tails: Ah! He transformed again!
- Sonic: Man, no one ever cuts us any slack!
[A large flying fortress suddenly appears in the sky above Mystic Ruins.]
- Dr. Eggman: Behold my floating masterpiece, the Egg Carrier! But it pales in comparison to the power of Chaos! Adieu... Until we meet again, my friends... Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
[A bright cyan light is shone on Eggman and his Egg Mobile, lifting him towards the Egg Carrier. The Egg Carrier then flies away.]
- Tails: Hey, we can't let him get away! Let's get to my workshop and we'll take the Tornado!
- Sonic: Yeah!
- Knuckles: You guys go! I have some unfinished business to take care of.
- Sonic: No problem, Knuckles. We'll take care of everything here!
[Knuckles leaves Sonic and Tails.]
- Tails: Come on, let's get going!
[Sonic and Tails go to the workshop and get the Tornado.]
- Tails: Sonic, wait here for a second.....
[Tails heads inside. Sonic waits impatiently for a few seconds before approaching the cliff, when a sudden rubble catches him off-guard. He shrugs it off before the palm trees lower and the runway appears. Tails comes out with the Tornado ready for launch.]
- Tails: Sonic, hop in!
[Sonic jumps on the wings.]
- Tails: Let's go!
[The Tornado takes off and pursues the Egg Carrier.]
[Sonic falls from the Tornado and lands on a beach with his head buried into the sand, just outside Emerald Coast back at the hotel in Station Square.]
- Sonic: Tails? ...Tails? [Sonic stands up and spots a random girl.] You're not who I'm looking for. Oh, I wonder if he's okay?
[The girl watches Sonic depart to look for Tails.]
[Sonic meets Amy at the Casino area. Amy's theme begins playing.]
- Amy: Sonic! Wait up! Long time no see!
- Sonic: Uh... A... Amy?
- Amy: What's wrong with you anyway? Listen, this birdie seems to be in trouble. So you need to be his bodyguard for a while!
- Sonic: You must be kidding!
- Amy: If you don't, we're just gonna tag along anyway!
[Sonic and Amy approach the entrance to Twinkle Park when they notice ZERO up the street behind them and coming towards them.]
- Amy: Aah, look! Eggman's Robot's on the loose!
- Sonic: No problem! He's just a chunk of cheesy hardware.
- Amy: Whoaaa!
- Sonic: Oh, now what? [turns around] Huh?
- Amy: Look here! It says, 'Cute couples get in free!' Let's go!
- Sonic: Amy! Wai-wai-wai-wait! Oh man... That girl is such a pain!
[Sonic chases after Amy to look for her in Twinkle Park and emerges afterwards, unable to find her.]
- PA System: Welcome to Twinkle Park!
- Sonic: Oh shoot! I've lost Amy! I bet that robot hauled butt after her. I'd better catch her before it does.
[Sonic passes through Speed Highway, but finds no sign of Amy until he checks the area outside Casinopolis.]
- Sonic: Amy! Oh man, where can she be?
- Amy: Aaaagh! Sonic! Help!
[Sonic sees Amy being captured by ZERO, heading down the train tracks towards the Mystic Ruins.]
- Sonic: I'll cut 'em off at the Mystic Ruins!
[ZERO is holding onto Amy]
- Amy: Let me go you hunka junk, I mean it!
- Sonic: Hey there, bolt brain! You better give Amy to me, or I'll squash ya!
[Sonic jumps down towards Amy and ZERO. Then the sky turns dark.]
- Sonic: Hey, what's happening here?
[The Egg Carrier is shown in the sky. It then sucks ZERO and Amy in by a green tube.]
- Sonic: Stop!
- Amy: Sonic! Help me!
- Sonic: Shoot, I've lost her again!
[The Egg Carrier takes off.]
[The Egg Carrier is seen in the sky, with Sonic staring at it, having been unable to catch up after going through Red Mountain. Then, Tails comes over to Sonic on his Tornado 2.]
- Tails: Hey, Sonic!
- Sonic: Tails! I'm glad you're okay!
[Tails dives down to let Sonic hop into the Tornado 2, which he does.]
- Sonic: Ready to roll, champ? Let's go!
- Tails: Roger!
[Tails goes after the Egg Carrier.]
[The Tornado is closing up to the Egg Carrier.]
- Tails: Alrighty, we're in!
- Sonic: We gotta land on the Egg Carrier!
- Tails: Whoops. Uh... I forgot something.
- Sonic: What's that?
- Tails: There's no landing gear on this mode.
- Sonic: Whaaat? [Sonic, Tails, and the Tornado land on the Egg Carrier.] Wow, this thing is really huge!
- Tails: No time to gawk now. We need to find Amy!
- Sonic: You're right, my friend! So, here we goooooo!
- Dr. Eggman: Don't get too many ideas, you fools! You haven't seen the power this vessel really has! Get a load of this!
[The Egg Carrier changes shape]
- Tails: Ahhh, wow! It's changed shape. Did you see that?
[Sonic only scowls at Tails in annoyance before turning his attention back to Eggman.]
- Sonic: Darn! This makes it harder for us to get to the bridge!
- Tails: I hate it when he doesn't listen...
- Dr. Eggman: Ha ha ha ha ha! I bet you weren't expecting this! The only way you can get to me is through the Sky Deck. I doubt if you can figure this one out! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
- Sonic: Oh yeah! Well, I'll show YOU! Bring it on!
[Sonic is in the center of the Egg Carrier after clearing the Sky Deck]
- Sonic: Is that it?
- Tails: It might be. But let's check out the bridge.
[Sonic uses a device to go onto the deck of the Egg Carrier where he meets Amy confronted with Dr. Eggman]
- Amy: Sonic!
- Dr. Eggman: Huh! They're too late!
[Dr. Eggman uses his Egg Mobile to grab Birdie from Amy]
- Amy: Not the birdie!
[Sonic jumps in front of Eggman, Tails following him. Eggman pulls a Chaos Emerald from the bird's necklace.]
- Tails: ...A Chaos Emerald!
- Amy: No way!
- Dr. Eggman: Be gone! All of you! This is all I really need! Gamma!
[E-102 Gamma appears.]
- E-102 Gamma: What is your wish, master Robotnik?
- Dr. Eggman: Get rid of these pests. Show them what you got!
- E-102 Gamma: Aye aye, sir.
- Dr. Robotnik: And don't disappoint me, or else...
[Eggman flies towards the front of the Egg Carrier while Sonic and Gamma get ready to fight]
[Sonic is about to give one final blow to Gamma. However, Amy steps in front of Gamma]
- Amy: Stop it, Sonic!
- Sonic: [He stops.] Step aside, Amy! Out of my way!
- Amy: No! This robot is my friend. He helped me. Don't hurt him.
- Sonic: Okay. Whatever you say. You must have your reasons...
[The Egg Carrier shakes.]
- Tails: Hey, this ship is losing altitude!
- Sonic: Hurry, Tails! Take Amy and get out of here!
- Amy: But what about you?
- Sonic: I'll find that Eggman and put him out of commission!
[Sonic heads off to find Eggman.]
[Later on the Egg Carrier...]
- Sonic: If I'm to continue, I need to change this ship back to it's original shape! There must be a switch somewhere on the bridge! I've gotta find it, now!
[Sonic locates the bridge and finds the switch. The Egg Carrier changes shape.]
[Sonic is confronted by Chaos 6]
- Sonic: Oh no! Not again! Chaos! Could this be the same beast?
- Dr. Eggman: Ha ha ha ha ha! Oh, yes! Attack Sonic, now!
- Big: Froggy? [Froggy is seen inside Chaos 6] I must save Froggy!
- Sonic: If he's your friend, I'll help you. Just leave it to me!
- Dr. Eggman: Ha ha ha ha ha! Now I have 6 of the Chaos Emeralds. There's only one more left to find. I even found Chaos' missing tail!
- Sonic: You won't get away with this, you madman!
- Dr. Eggman: I will! You're no match for Chaos- even though he's not perfected yet. Okay Chaos! Destroy them all. Immediately!
[After The battle.]
- Eggman: No way! I can't believe this!
- Knuckles: Sonic!
- Sonic: Hey there, Knuckles. Glad you finally made it! I thought you got lost, or something!
- Eggman: Until we meet again, Sonic!
[Sonic runs toward Eggman to catch him and jumps off the Egg Carrier.]
- Sonic: Stop! Come back here!
[Mystic Ruins, day. Sonic falls down on the ground, but bounces back up.]
- Sonic : Aarrgh! I hate Eggman! Where's this? [Sees the temple in Mystic Ruins moving] Hmm?
[Sonic sees a light floating towards the temple.]
- Sonic: That light! I think it's trying to show me something!
- Sonic: Whoa! What's this? A mural.
[Sonic is teleported by Tikal to the past.]
- Sonic : What's this place? Where am I? This is really weird.
[Sonic sees an injured Chao lying on the ground.]
- Tikal : Why? Why did this have to happen? It's terrible! I must stop this now!
[Tikal goes to the Master Emerald and Sonic returns to the present, outside the temple.]
- Sonic : What was that all about? I don't think I'm dreaming here. [Sees Eggman going to his base] Hmm? Eggman! What's he doing here? Oh never mind. This time I'll get him good!
[Sonic runs towards Eggman's base.]
- Eggman : Well, if it isn't my pal Sonic! I'm surprised you made it this far.
- Sonic : Hold it right there, Eggman!
[Sonic follows Eggman into battle with the Egg Viper.]
[After defeating Eggman, Sonic reunites with Tails and they run off together to take another break. The screen then fades to black and credits roll.]