- "Power Sneakers" redirects here. For other uses of the term, see Power Sneakers (disambiguation).
Sonic's shoes, also referred to as the power sneakers and Hi-Speed Shoes, are recurring objects in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. They are the distinctive, trademark footwear worn by Sonic the Hedgehog, which he does not take off.
- 1 Concept and creation
- 2 Description
- 3 Variants
- 4 In other media
- 5 Early canon
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
Concept and creation
According to character designer Naoto Ohshima, the design of Sonic's shoes was inspired by the boots worn by Michael Jackson on the cover of the music album Bad, and the colors were inspired by Santa Claus. Additionally, Ohshima found the color red fitting for Sonic's speed, especially when his legs spun while running.
Sonic's shoes are a pair of smooth, shiny red boots/sneakers with white tops folded into sock-like cuffs, pointed toes, white straps over the middles, and a gold buckle on the outermost side. Originally they had no visible soles, being completely dark red on the bottom. Starting in Sonic Adventure, however, they received gray metallic soles with grooves.
Abilities and traits
While not stated, the shoes appear nearly friction proof, meaning they wear out very slowly; even after running with them for years at the speed of sound, the shoes show no more than slight superficial damage.
Speed Down Boots
Light Speed Shoes
2G Hi-Speed Shoes
Extreme Gear shoes
The Custom Shoes are special shoes designed by Alberto Robert. These shoes can harness the power of Gems to both alter their appearance and unlock new abilities, along with the Light Chip and Antigravity.
In other media
Sonic the Comic
In the Sonic the Comic comic series published by Fleetway Editions, Sonic's shoes are referred to as the Power Sneakers. They were created and given to Sonic by Doctor Ovi Kintobor to reduce the friction on his feet. With them, Sonic managed to break the sound barrier for the first time, changing him from a brown and spiky hedgehog to his current blue and streamlined form.
In the Sonic the Hedgehog comic series and its spin-offs published by Archie Comics, Sonic's sneakers were invented by Sonic's uncle, Sir Charles Hedgehog. They were made from Power Ring energy so they could never wear down from Sonic's speed. Originally, the sneakers resembled Sonic's during the Genesis era, but were later changed to their modern design when Sonic diverted a time-beam and got a burst of Super Emerald energy.
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog (TV series)
In the Sonic the Hedgehog promotional comic, Sonic's shoes (referred to simply as "frictionless shoes") were created and given to Sonic by Dr. Ovi Kintobor. This was after Sonic's previous trainers were shredded by the accident that turned him blue. In these sources, there are no indication that the shoes help Sonic to run faster or that they help to protect his feet.
- In the early Sonic games, the western manuals incorrectly referred to Sonic's shoes as the source of his speed.
- Concept art of Sonic’s shoes shown in the Sonic the Hedgehog Birthday Pack history pamphlet refers to the shoes as Michael Jackson Dancing Boots.
- The only games where Sonic wears different shoes are Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), Sonic Riders, Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, Sonic Unleashed (while in Werehog form), Sonic Free Riders, Sonic x Vapor, Sonic Lost World (in The Legend of Zelda Zone), and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.
- In Sonic Lost World, Zeena remarks that Sonic’s shoes are "atrocious".
- Sonic's shoes made a cameo in Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, appearing next to the trash can that reads "No Hopers" in the Cranky's Video Game Heroes screen.
- Both Mighty the Armadillo and Ray the Flying Squirrel have worn shoes that looked identical to Sonic's.
- Sonic's shoes are an unlockable Costume part for the Avatar to make use of in Sonic Forces, complete with several differently-colored variants.
- Official wallpaper released in promotion of Sonic and the Secret Rings.
- Sonic Maze Craze "How to Play" menu.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Mega Drive) United States instruction booklet, p. 2.
- Xbox Live. Awards. "Sonic's Hi-Speed Shoes description: Slip into Sonic's Hi-Speed Shoes and experience the ultimate level of record smashing speed."
- Sarkar, Samit (11 June 2019). If Mario can surf barefoot, why can’t Sonic?. Polygon. Archived from the original on 12 June 2019. Retrieved on 12 June 2019.
- Sheffield, Brandon (4 December 2009). Out of the Blue: Naoto Ohshima Speaks. Gamasutra. Archived from the original on 30 March 2016.
- Sonic the Hedgehog Birthday Pack history pamphlet.
- Naoto Ohshima on Twitter (27 March 2017). Retrieved on 10 November 2020. "Sonic's boots were born influenced by MJ's BAD boots. MJ liked Sonic."
- Naoto Ohshima on Twitter (25 December 2017). Retrieved on 10 November 2020. "DevanArcher101: Question for the designer of Sonic the Hedgehog @NaotoOhshima Are the white parts of his shoes that look like his glove cuffs part of his shoes or his socks? / Naoto Ohshima: It's all shoes. 😄"
- Sonic's concept art for Team Sonic Racing Overdrive.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Game Gear) United States instruction booklet, pg. 3.